• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2017-18

Started by VU2014, April 07, 2017, 10:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Quote from: bbtds on November 13, 2017, 01:21:16 PM
So says Osipoff, the propagandist for Maravilla and Don Bosco Prep. I will never forgive Osipoff for betraying VU in this way.

Wait!  Wasn't it the other Trib guy who was the Don Bosco apologist? Hanson or Hutton or some name like that?

covufan

Quote from: VU2014 on November 11, 2017, 12:32:31 AM
https://twitter.com/colinn_thompson/status/929161845440688128

I hope we didn't make this banner.  If the HL sent it to us, maybe the 'L' was intentionally omitted because we 'left' the HL?

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 13, 2017, 01:32:35 PM
Quote from: bbtds on November 13, 2017, 01:21:16 PM
So says Osipoff, the propagandist for Maravilla and Don Bosco Prep. I will never forgive Osipoff for betraying VU in this way.

Wait!  Wasn't it the other Trib guy who was the Don Bosco apologist? Hanson or Hutton or some name like that?

It was Hutton. I was pretty pissed at the time when he wrote that "puff piece" for Maravilla. Hutton had the nerve to say that scumbag Maravilla suffered the wrath of VU fans and actually said he "helped" (forced) David Skara to transfer. A longtime columnist should be better then that. Ironically a former Valpo Basketball player is the Head Coach of the Don Bosco Prep Team, Jason Hawkins. I've met Jason at a game in the past and he seemed like a really nice guy. I'm not sure he was involved in that whole situation. Maravilla is the CEO & also has his sleazy agency business.

VULB#62

I thought so.  Mike Osipoff and Paul are friends and both cover Valpo extensivelyl and fairly.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 13, 2017, 02:52:21 PM
I thought so.  Mike Osipoff and Paul are friends and both cover Valpo extensivelyl and fairly.

My apologies to Osipoff. My wrath should be properly directed at Hutton. Unfortunately because he also works for the other newspaper/news organization he is tainted by Hutton through affiliation.

Pgmado

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 13, 2017, 02:52:21 PMI thought so.  Mike Osipoff and Paul are friends and both cover Valpo extensivelyl and fairly.

Oz is a fantastic guy and excellent reporter. His piece about Joe Burton and Houston was outstanding. Loved the quotes about the shoes.

VU2014

https://twitter.com/ValpoAlumni/status/930157578713272322

https://alumni.valpo.edu/s/1347/17/page-1col.aspx?sid=1347&gid=1&pgid=2186&cid=5092&ecid=5092&crid=0&calpgid=2012&calcid=4502

Valpo Club of Northwest Indiana- Bus Trip to Valpo v. Purdue Boilermakers

UPDATE: Seats added!

Join Valpo alumni, students, and friends in cheering on the Crusaders as they take on the Boilermakers at Mackey Arena in West Lafayette! We will depart from the Harre Union at 2:00 p.m. CST. Tip-off is at 5:30 CST (6:30 p.m. EST), and we will return to the university at approximately 9:00 p.m. CST.

Go Valpo!

Pricing:
-Student ticket and bus ride: $20
-G.O.L.D. (Graduates of the Last Decade) alumni ticket and bus ride: $25
-General alumni and friends ticket and bus ride: $30

Please call Alumni Engagement at 219-464-5142 to be put on the list!

To purchase a game ticket without the bus ride, please contact the athletics ticketing office at 219-464-5233.

Contact Information
Primary Contact

Alumni Engagement
1100 S. Campus Drive
Loke Hall
Valparaiso, IN 46383
219-464-5142
alumni@valpo.edu
Date & Location
Date: 12/7/2017
Time: 2:00 PM to 9:00 PM

VU2014

I have 2 Random Questions for Northwest Indiana Natives & long time fans of the program:

1. Is Valparaiso part of the "The Region"? And please define the region. I see NWI native arguing about this all the time. Dakich tweets about this literally bi-weekly.

2. What is Dakich's problem with the Drew's? I've been following Valpo Basketball long enough to know he's pretty lukewarm about Valpo. I've recently heard from a few different people (not Valpo supporters) say that he has mentioned the rumor in the past that Homer Drew paid some Euro players to come to Valpo back in the day which I find absolutely laughable & idiotic. Where they hell did that rumor even start? It sounds like a rumor started by disgruntled fans of other programs that were jealous that Valpo got some Media Shine back in the day.

VUGrad1314

Dan Dakich is a piddly bitter little man with a massive ego problem who never got over the fact that he couldn't hack it as a coach. His opinions really aren't worth listening to

VU2014

Dakich does have some bitter takes even about his own alma mater. I actually don't mind the guy and he does have some interesting opinions. I find his twitter beefs with Frank Kaminsky hilarious. I'm just curious what his beef is with the Drew's?

bigmosmithfan1

Ah yes, the lovely "only Lake County counts as The Region" hot takes. They never get old, and they never cease to be wrong.

Do you get Chicago TV/radio? Is your clock on Central time? Can you hop on the South Shore and commute to the city every morning? Are there Lake Michigan beaches in your county? Guess what, you're in The Region.

VUGrad1314

Nailed it This post says all that needs to be said on this topic (the post above me RE: What is The Region? It is 100% spot on

humbleopinion

When I was growing up in the Valpo in the 60's, I never even knew the term "region."  My impression was that it ended around Portage.  Now it has expanded to include Porter County.
Beamin' Beacons

crusaderjoe

Having lived in NWI for years (born and raised), my understanding of the "Region" is that the term never incorporated all of Northwest Indiana.  Instead, the term incorporated both socioeconomic and geographical attributes—that is, the traditional "Region" were those areas that were near or adjoining to the Grand Calumet and Little Calumet Rivers geographically (Calumet River Region) and were generally areas that were far more urban and industrial comparatively to other Indiana towns. I've always thought of northern Lake County, such as Whiting, East Chicago, Hammond, Gary and extreme northern/northwestern Porter County (Portage, Burns Harbor) as part of the true "Region", and in Lake County specifically, areas north of or near Route 30 would also qualify.  I suppose what constitutes the "Region" has changed over the years to include more areas of NWI with the overall growth of the area.

humbleopinion

Quote from: crusaderjoe on November 14, 2017, 03:28:30 PM
Having lived in NWI for years (born and raised), my understanding of the "Region" is that the term never incorporated all of Northwest Indiana.  Instead, the term incorporated both socioeconomic and geographical attributes—that is, the traditional "Region" were those areas that were near or adjoining to the Grand Calumet and Little Calumet Rivers geographically (Calumet River Region) and were generally areas that were far more urban and industrial comparatively to other Indiana towns. I've always thought of northern Lake County, such as Whiting, East Chicago, Hammond, Gary and extreme northern/northwestern Porter County (Portage, Burns Harbor) as part of the true "Region", and in Lake County specifically, areas north of or near Route 30 would also qualify.  I suppose what constitutes the "Region" has changed over the years to include more areas of NWI with the overall growth of the area.

That's my understanding as well.

Beamin' Beacons

VULB#62

Which is more important branding/image-wise: an amorphous "the region" or an easily identifiable Northwest Indiana?

If you take the rectangular state of Indiana and parse it into 9 geographic areas (NWI, NCI, NEI /  WCI, CI, ECI / SWI, SCI, and SEI), I would say that Valpo is NWI's sole D-I MBB team and should be branded as such. ND is in NCI (and, of course, national) and Fort Wayne is NEI.  For branding and geographic identity, I wouldn't care about anybody south of us.

VUBBFan

Quote from: humbleopinion on November 14, 2017, 04:26:59 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on November 14, 2017, 03:28:30 PMHaving lived in NWI for years (born and raised), my understanding of the "Region" is that the term never incorporated all of Northwest Indiana.  Instead, the term incorporated both socioeconomic and geographical attributes—that is, the traditional "Region" were those areas that were near or adjoining to the Grand Calumet and Little Calumet Rivers geographically (Calumet River Region) and were generally areas that were far more urban and industrial comparatively to other Indiana towns. I've always thought of northern Lake County, such as Whiting, East Chicago, Hammond, Gary and extreme northern/northwestern Porter County (Portage, Burns Harbor) as part of the true "Region", and in Lake County specifically, areas north of or near Route 30 would also qualify.  I suppose what constitutes the "Region" has changed over the years to include more areas of NWI with the overall growth of the area.
That's my understanding as well.

My understanding also

ValpoDad89

And bbtds, that's your right. I don't blame you one bit. We have a cat in Paul Oren that will call a spade a spade and promote this program and beautiful university every chance he gets. That's reporting with a lean agenda but he has never chastised another. Kudos to our Union Street guru.

bigmosmithfan1

That thumbnail makes it look like Todd is complaining about a foul just called on him. "What? Me?"

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on November 14, 2017, 01:43:18 PMis Dakich's problem with the Drew's? I've been following Valpo Basketball long enough to know he's pretty lukewarm about Valpo. I've recently heard from a few different people (not Valpo supporters) say that he has mentioned the rumor in the past that Homer Drew paid some Euro players to come to Valpo back in the day which I find absolutely laughable & idiotic. Where they hell did that rumor even start? It sounds like a rumor started by disgruntled fans of other programs that were jealous that Valpo got some Media Shine back in the day.

There is only one true answer to this.

Dakich is an absolute ass! Simple really.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 14, 2017, 04:58:25 PM
Which is more important branding/image-wise: an amorphous "the region" or an easily identifiable Northwest Indiana?

If you take the rectangular state of Indiana and parse it into 9 geographic areas (NWI, NCI, NEI /  WCI, CI, ECI / SWI, SCI, and SEI), I would say that Valpo is NWI's sole D-I MBB team and should be branded as such. ND is in NCI (and, of course, national) and Fort Wayne is NEI.  For branding and geographic identity, I wouldn't care about anybody south of us.

Agreed.  Is Kouts in the "Region"?  What about LaCrosse?  Wanatah?  A big fat LULZ on the idea that these towns have anything relatively in common with East Chicago other than by being in counties that border Lake Michigan and are in the central time zone.  "Northwest Indiana" is purely geographical; the "Region" necessarily isn't.  With such a small subway alumni base from which to draw from, VU has to encompass everyone in the area.

oklahomamick

And how many alumnus are from other states or did not set roots in the "region" or Northwest Indiana"?  Thats a big difference between private schools and state schools. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 15, 2017, 08:24:59 AM
And how many alumnus are from other states or did not set roots in the "region" or Northwest Indiana"?  Thats a big difference between private schools and state schools.

You just have to look at the composition of this fan board.  We have contributors from all over the country represented.

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 14, 2017, 04:58:25 PM

Agreed. I've alway thought we should have been branding this way. If we're being honest there is a very large amount of P5 Purdue/IU/ND fans/alum in NWI. And another "issue" is that the name of the University is VALPARAISO University which is tough for some NWI natives to probably get behind because it's not the name of their town. I have a feel some people just can't get over that.

Maybe it would be wiser to brand Valpo Basketball as NWI's Mid-Major Team. I know quite a few Valpo fans who claim two college teams. Purdue/ND/IU as their High Major team and Valpo as their Mid-Major team.

If I'm in the marketing department I'd take the Long-Term approach and try and create new fans while their young some how. I wish the NCAA didn't impose that rule that High School Teams can no longer play at college arenas because that is considered an unfair advantage in recruiting. You could have had a NWI High School game of the week at the ARC where the Local High School teams get to play at a college arena and it would introduce people who don't normally go to Valpo games to Valpo. It would be great if the Athletics Department could figure out a way to get around that rule somehow.

Bottom line the number one way to create fans is to win and go on a tourney run. I'm sure the 1998 tourney run gave Valpo a boost in a attendance and fandom back in the day.