• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valparaiso has ACCEPTED* the Invite to become the 10th Member of the MVC!!!!

Started by VU2014, May 09, 2017, 10:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmosmithfan1

I'm sure a gag order went out from VU's general counsel to everyone involved until everything is signed and squared away (standard stuff at every company for matters like this). It also sounds like the MVC had everyone under an NDA while this whole process unfolded, so reading anything into a lack of public comment is not going to tell you much. 

vuny98

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on May 10, 2017, 12:54:31 PMI think there's definitely something to this. No shortage of Indiana State grads in the Region, and there's plenty of Illinois State and SIU grads in the south suburbs who might make the 45-50 minute trip over when their team is in town. To say nothing of Bradley alums in the Chicago area. Wouldn't be surprised if there are 5 or 6 MVC teams who'll bring more visiting fans into the ARC every year than the best-traveling HL opponent. (Loyola never brought that many fans when they were in the HL, but they were also terrible when our tenures overlapped. It'll be interesting to see if that changes if their current upswing continues).

I had thought about it as well, but it clearly did not materialize at Loyola from what I could tell... but then again despite being in Chicago, Loyola is not easy to get to. Valpo may be able to grab opposing fans from the Chicago west and south burbs as well as Northern Indiana better than Loyola could have...

Valpo89

I heard John Feinstein's "CBS Sports Minute" during the noon hour on WSCR.
He praised the MVC for adding "Val-pa-RI-so."

Good publicity, but another example of a big-time East Coast guy not being able to pronounce the name correctly.

wh

Quote from: agibson on May 10, 2017, 02:02:00 PM
Quote from: wh on May 10, 2017, 01:51:36 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on May 10, 2017, 10:55:24 AM
it's been 24 hours and Valpo is now on the clock, We need to accept already.  Any possibility that we don't accept?

That would be the mother of all public relations disasters for both parties.  There is a zero percent chance of this happening.

I'm still going to be more comfortable after the announcement is made.

I'm pretty curious what coaches think about the move, but I'm not going to go around asking them publicly until it's official.

If things fall apart at this point, the Valpo and MVC logos will be forever displayed under "Amateur Hour" in the Idiom Dictionary. :)

vu72

Quote from: Valpo89 on May 10, 2017, 02:12:03 PM
I heard John Feinstein's "CBS Sports Minute" during the noon hour on WSCR.
He praised the MVC for adding "Val-pa-RI-so."

Good publicity, but another example of a big-time East Coast guy not being able to pronounce the name correctly.

It is disappointing that these folks can't figure it out or can't remember.  Still, we are hardly alone. Think of GonZAGa (or is it...   Xavier still gets Xxavier from time to time.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

UNIFTW

Quote from: vuny98 on May 10, 2017, 02:10:05 PM
Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on May 10, 2017, 12:54:31 PMI think there's definitely something to this. No shortage of Indiana State grads in the Region, and there's plenty of Illinois State and SIU grads in the south suburbs who might make the 45-50 minute trip over when their team is in town. To say nothing of Bradley alums in the Chicago area. Wouldn't be surprised if there are 5 or 6 MVC teams who'll bring more visiting fans into the ARC every year than the best-traveling HL opponent. (Loyola never brought that many fans when they were in the HL, but they were also terrible when our tenures overlapped. It'll be interesting to see if that changes if their current upswing continues).

I had thought about it as well, but it clearly did not materialize at Loyola from what I could tell... but then again despite being in Chicago, Loyola is not easy to get to. Valpo may be able to grab opposing fans from the Chicago west and south burbs as well as Northern Indiana better than Loyola could have...
It looks like I can take HWY30 straight to you guys. It takes me about 15 minutes to get to HWY30 from my house. It's about 4.5 from me to your facility, but it's a trip I'd like to make depending on the date of the game.

No one goes to Loyola games - not even Loyola fans. I remember 2 year ago a top 10 ranked UNI team rolled into Gentile Arena and the announced attendance was 1,700. There might have been 1,700 there (maybe), but out of the 1,700 that where there it was about 1,000 UNI fans and I think that was a Wednesday game.

UNI tends to travel pretty well. When we go to MTE's we are usually the largest fan base there. I know we were invited back to the Battle for Atlantis this year because of our travel. We were in the first ever B4A with Louisville, Duke, etc... and had just as many fans as they did. The Tire Pros Invite last year we were the biggest. The Cancun Challenge 3 years ago UNI was the largest. Hawaii 2 years ago we were one of the larger bases.

bbtds

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on May 10, 2017, 02:01:46 PM
Nobody is asking the important question.

With the added exposure of the MVC, will Coach Lottich repeat as the sexiest coach in mid major land?

There has never been an answer so obvious!!!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

FWalum

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on May 10, 2017, 12:54:31 PM
I think there's definitely something to this. No shortage of Indiana State grads in the Region, and there's plenty of Illinois State and SIU grads in the south suburbs who might make the 45-50 minute trip over when their team is in town. To say nothing of Bradley alums in the Chicago area.

Wouldn't be surprised if there are 5 or 6 MVC teams who'll bring more visiting fans into the ARC every year than the best-traveling HL opponent. (Loyola never brought that many fans when they were in the HL, but they were also terrible when our tenures overlapped. It'll be interesting to see if that changes if their current upswing continues).

My lawyer is an Evansville grad and was on the board in the past.  He already told me he wants us to make the trip over for a game.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: UNIFTW on May 10, 2017, 03:03:23 PMIt looks like I can take HWY30 straight to you guys. It takes me about 15 minutes to get to HWY30 from my house. It's about 4.5 from me to your facility, but it's a trip I'd like to make depending on the date of the game.

Stay on I-80 unless you hear of a back up. Then drop south on I-65 to US 30 east. You will see Valpo U on the left on the eastern edge of town. Enter between the torches (not lit) and hang to the left when you see the chapel immediately in front of you. Turn right at next two t-intersections and then left on Union Street at third t-intersection. The ARC will be on the right. Parking is another subject. 

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteIt looks like I can take HWY30 straight to you guys. It takes me about 15 minutes to get to HWY30 from my house.

You can absolutely do that. Fair warning that Hwy 30 between the south Chicago suburbs and Valpo has approximately four thousand stoplights, though. Might want to jump on I-80 around Joliet instead...  ;D

vu72

I've recently moved to Nashville and sure wish Belmont would join!  In the meantime I would think I'll be going to the Evansville game which is about 2 hours 45 minutes from here.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on May 10, 2017, 03:28:44 PM
QuoteIt looks like I can take HWY30 straight to you guys. It takes me about 15 minutes to get to HWY30 from my house.

You can absolutely do that. Fair warning that Hwy 30 between the south Chicago suburbs and Valpo has approximately four thousand stoplights, though. Might want to jump on I-80 around Joliet instead...  ;D

Yeah, I'll third this. Maybe I'm biased, but 30 from Joliet to Valpo is bad enough that I assume the whole highway is wretched with stoplights (though it's not bad east of Valpo). I'd definitely take I-80. Google Maps claims that 30 might only be 15 minutes slower, but I have my doubts.

UNIFTW

I've been to Chicago exactly once in my life. I know nothing about getting around over there other than the damn tolls that Illinois uses.

valpotx

Quote from: vu72 on May 10, 2017, 03:37:12 PM
I've recently moved to Nashville and sure wish Belmont would join!  In the meantime I would think I'll be going to the Evansville game which is about 2 hours 45 minutes from here.

This explains your lack of participation in our DFW Alumni group recently ;).
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: UNIFTW on May 10, 2017, 04:03:16 PM
I've been to Chicago exactly once in my life. I know nothing about getting around over there other than the damn tolls that Illinois uses.

crusaderjoe

If our new friend from Iowa takes I-80 to I-65 instead of taking Route 30 as some of you suggest, he will not be able to stop at Tiebels and have some of the best chicken and lake perch on the face of the planet during his trip.

You guys should be banned.

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on May 10, 2017, 04:12:06 PM
Quote from: vu72 on May 10, 2017, 03:37:12 PM

This explains your lack of participation in our DFW Alumni group recently ;).

Sorry about that.  Needed a pay check!  Should have let you, Mr. President, know!!  ;)

bbtds

Quote from: crusaderjoe on May 10, 2017, 04:15:19 PM
If our new friend from Iowa takes I-80 to I-65 instead of taking Route 30 as some of you suggest, he will not be able to stop at Tiebels and have some of the best chicken and lake perch on the face of the planet during his trip.

Schererly you jest.  ::)

underdawg

Just another congrats from another Saluki Fan in Carbondale Il. I think you all will enjoy Arch Madness the end of year Tourney in St. Louis--I usually park my car on the Illinois side of the Mississippi and take their wonderful electric trolley called the Metro--It lets you of at all the major venues including the tournament site, Busch Stadium, Lacledes Landing, at a stop within bus drive of the great St. Louis Zoo.

Hope you can locate Carbondale--we do have a beautiful campus and many nice restaurants and bars.

bbtds

agibson

If you want to make a day of it, US 30 could certainly be the way to go. I'm sure it's interesting to do at least once.

Teibel's is legendary; I've been there, but it was a banquet and I'm not sure I got the chicken. (I've been hearing good things about Market's chicken in Valpo... In the old Strongbow's location. I don't know if I love their match between style and price, but I've enjoyed some stuff there. I may have to go back sometime for the chicken.)

crusaderjoe

Quote from: bbtds on May 10, 2017, 04:18:30 PM

Schererly you jest.  ::)

I did not jest...and don't call me Shirley.

It's an entirely different kind of dining, altogether.

bbtds

Crew members and doctor(in unison): "It's an entirely different kind of dining"

Captain: Yes, but what has that got to do with the meal we had? And don't call me Schererly!

VU2624

Quote from: vu72 on May 10, 2017, 11:12:50 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on May 10, 2017, 10:55:24 AMit's been 24 hours and Valpo is now on the clock, We need to accept already.  Any possibility that we don't accept?
I think the answer is that we need to get through the softball and baseball tournaments to see if we end up in the NCAAs.  If we announce a withdrawal then we wouldn't be eligible for NCAA tournament play (or at least that is what I thought I had read somewhere).  As a result it could be a couple of weeks.  Softball starts today, baseball starts May 24.

This is great info. I didn't know this.

Of course, you've absolutely killed any chance of speculation and crying "what is MLB doing????" by some of the more reactionary posters

VU2624

Quote from: Valpo89 on May 10, 2017, 02:12:03 PMI heard John Feinstein's "CBS Sports Minute" during the noon hour on WSCR. He praised the MVC for adding "Val-pa-RI-so." Good publicity, but another example of a big-time East Coast guy not being able to pronounce the name correctly.

Feinst-I-ne should know better. He's a big college hoops fan. He's actually a reasonably enjoyable listen.