• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valparaiso has ACCEPTED* the Invite to become the 10th Member of the MVC!!!!

Started by VU2014, May 09, 2017, 10:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zvillehaze

Quote from: vu72 on May 10, 2017, 02:39:13 PM
Quote from: Valpo89 on May 10, 2017, 02:12:03 PM
I heard John Feinstein's "CBS Sports Minute" during the noon hour on WSCR.
He praised the MVC for adding "Val-pa-RI-so."

Good publicity, but another example of a big-time East Coast guy not being able to pronounce the name correctly.

It is disappointing that these folks can't figure it out or can't remember.  Still, we are hardly alone. Think of GonZAGa (or is it...   Xavier still gets Xxavier from time to time.

I know there are several other cities around the world named Valparaiso ... I'm curious if they're all pronounced the same?  Just asking because Indiana uses non-traditional pronunciations for cities like Milan, Versailles and Carmel.  In any case, I haven't heard anyone butcher "Valpo", so maybe they should just stick with that!  ;D

a3uge

Quote from: FWalum on May 10, 2017, 10:25:00 AM
Quote from: UNIFTW on May 10, 2017, 09:07:24 AMTV in The Valley is pretty good, but relies on you already having your own TV deals in place.

The Valley's deal with ESPN is that every home event indoors (VB, MBB, WBB, etc...) is to be shown on ESPN3. The Valley will not produce those broadcasts, they are to be produced by the school through local media contracts and sent to ESPN to be broadcast. This has required a ton of upgrades at most MVC schools to have that capability. The quality must be HD so that games on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, CSN, FSN, etc... can be shown in HD.

Every single UNI game was on TV for me to watch last year. I could catch them on ESPN3, or since all MVC home games have to be produced for TV in house, UNI has a media contract to show our games on TV all through the state on TV. Not all WBB and VB matches are on TV, but they are ESPN3. It's getting to a point where almost all softball and basetball games are shown on ESPN3, and I've seen an increasing number of tennis matches shown there as well.

Basically, if you don't already have a media contract for a TV station to broadcast every one of your games already you better hurry up and get one. I guess you could have students doing the broadcast and production, but that's a crap shoot for quality. Most schools already had hired out broadcasts to TV stations/production companies so the transition to ESPN3 was smooth. I know UNI still uses students in the production booth as part of an internship and selling feature as part of the program.

The Horizon had the same deal.  All VU home games and Horizon League conference games were on ESPN3 and some were also cablecast on American Sports Network as well as Fox Sports Chicago. As far as making broadcasts available to to other outlets in the state and tri-state area I have no idea how that would work. I am sure that our media connections will receive some upgrades with the move to the MVC!
We desperately need better audio quality for the video/radio stream. Fire the second camera man that sits under the basket and use his paycheck for microphone upgrades. There, two problems fixed in one.

wh

Quote from: zvillehaze on May 10, 2017, 09:47:52 PM
Quote from: vu72 on May 10, 2017, 02:39:13 PM
Quote from: Valpo89 on May 10, 2017, 02:12:03 PM
I heard John Feinstein's "CBS Sports Minute" during the noon hour on WSCR.
He praised the MVC for adding "Val-pa-RI-so."

Good publicity, but another example of a big-time East Coast guy not being able to pronounce the name correctly.

It is disappointing that these folks can't figure it out or can't remember.  Still, we are hardly alone. Think of GonZAGa (or is it...   Xavier still gets Xxavier from time to time.

I know there are several other cities around the world named Valparaiso ... I'm curious if they're all pronounced the same?  Just asking because Indiana uses non-traditional pronunciations for cities like Milan, Versailles and Carmel.  In any case, I haven't heard anyone butcher "Valpo", so maybe they should just stick with that!  ;D

Just looked it up. There are 4 Valparaiso's in the U.S. and Canada - Indiana, Nebraska, Florida and Saskatchewan. All are pronounced with the long "a" sound, as is V, São Paulo, Brazil. The handful of V's in Spanish-speaking countries in Central and South America all use the long "i" sound.

I hope this is worth something to someone because I just spent 15 minutes that I'll never get back. :)

valpospartan

We desperately need better audio quality for the video/radio stream ARC PA system.
[/quote]

I added a desperate need of the ARC ticket holders.

usc4valpo

UNIFTW - are you saying that UNI fans want to actually vacate from scenic Waterloo and visit the Bahamas?

VU2014

Projections with Valpo in the MVC. Not sure I agree with these projections but I agree that Loyola and Missouri State will be the likely favorites next season.

I reached out to him to let him know he forgot Joe Burton in his projection who will likely be the starting SF. The projections were too high on Max, imo and not high enough on Markus Golder or Jay. He also was way too low on Bakari, imo. He gave him a Freshman ranking of only (0.6) because he didn't play hardly at Nebraska his Freshman year.

He currently pegs us finishing 7th, which I think is a bit low. If I had to guess I'd say we'd finish 4th or 5th next year barring any schools losing or gaining any major recruits or players.

Here's how the MVC lines up with the addition of Valpo:

Loyola Chicago 22.4 (14)
Missouri State 18.9 (12)
Bradley 13.0 (13)
Illinois State 12.1 (12)
Southern Illinois 11.2 (11)
Evansville 11.1 (11)
Valparaiso 10.9 (13)
Northern Iowa 10.4 (13)
Drake 9.2 (12)
Indiana State 8.9 (12)

EDIT: He just added Joe Burton and we moved up a couple spots:

Seems fair to me, but we have some upside to finish a little higher if we get the guys to gel together.

Updated Projections:
Loyola Chicago 22.4 (14)
Missouri State 18.9 (12)
Bradley 13.0 (13)
Illinois State 12.1 (12)
Valparaiso 11.9 (14)
Southern Illinois 11.2 (11)
Evansville 11.1 (11)
Northern Iowa 10.4 (13)
Drake 9.2 (12)
Indiana State 8.9 (12)

http://cbbproject2017.blogspot.com/2017/05/projecting-2017-updates-may-2nd_9.html
http://cbbproject2017.blogspot.com/2017/05/projecting-2017-missouri-valley.html

https://twitter.com/d2mart/status/862506833071796224

SanityLost17

I think we all really need to keep expectations low for next year.  Underdog status is a good thing for us. 

Next year is currently a rebuilding year.   We all hope it turns into a reloading year but we don't have any evidence to start building up high expectations.   

So, lets embrace the fact that we are likely a lower half of the league team in our 1st year.  It is ok to acknowledge that is mostly due to roster turnover than our potential as a program.  But lets not get ahead of ourselves here. 

VU2014

Quote from: SanityLost17 on May 11, 2017, 10:03:35 AM
I think we all really need to keep expectations low for next year.  Underdog status is a good thing for us. 

Next year is currently a rebuilding year.   We all hope it turns into a reloading year but we don't have any evidence to start building up high expectations.   

So, lets embrace the fact that we are likely a lower half of the league team in our 1st year.  It is ok to acknowledge that is mostly due to roster turnover than our potential as a program.  But lets not get ahead of ourselves here. 

I don't think projecting 4th or 5th being overly optimistic, when you break down the rest of the MVC's rosters and factor in graduations/recruits/transfers. This is all assuming Bakari/Joe project to be the good players we've heard they can be, which admittedly is a big IF and none of us know yet. Also all of our our PFs are Freshman next season and we'd like to see some growth from Jay/Smits/Micah. No doubt there are question marks, but other projected middle of the pack MVC also have many of the same questions (and probably the equal optimism).

I think the middle pack is wide open in the MVC next year and we can be a very competitive team in the MVC (not saying we will win it by any means but we should be a tough game for any opponent in the Conference). OOC could be bumpy next season with so many new guys trying to find their roles early on. There will definitely be a learning curve. This team has the bones to be a competitive team. I'm excited and cautiously optimistic about our prospects for next season.

Agreed we shouldn't get too high or too low and just take a wait and see approach. Either way our team next year is going to get unfairly judged and compared to Wichita State... which no one in our fan base claims to be the next Wichita State.

vu72

So while many criticized The Valley for adding Loyola and their lousy basketball program, now, in their second year, thye are predicted to win it all?  If the projections are right then it was a hell of an add.  My guess, and obviously that's all it can be, is that Valpo will be in the same boat.  We finish middle of the pack this coming year and win it all in year two.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on May 11, 2017, 10:51:49 AM
So while many criticized The Valley for adding Loyola and their lousy basketball program, now, in their second year, thye are predicted to win it all?  If the projections are right then it was a hell of an add.  My guess, and obviously that's all it can be, is that Valpo will be in the same boat.  We finish middle of the pack this coming year and win it all in year two.

Loyola's year 4?

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 11, 2017, 10:59:26 AM

Loyola's year 4?

Opps, you're right.  My how time flies.  Still, to win it all in year four is not bad.  ::)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

The Missouri Valley Conference was a difference maker for their recruiting. Also their renovated arena.

Loyola still hasn't really proved much yet in the MVC (never has been above .500 in Conference play) but Moser has just stacked 2 really great recruiting class. People are starting to take notice to the recruiting but from what I've seen they were all pretty annoy it took them that long to potentially take the next step. Plus they were "replacing" Creighton. They have been sort an easy target.

They have a bright future going in MBB.

VULB#62

Union Street Hoops #29 covers some of that.

[tweet]862442269110042624[/tweet]

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on May 11, 2017, 11:18:58 AM

The Missouri Valley Conference was a difference maker for their recruiting. Also their renovated arena.

Loyola still hasn't really proved much yet in the MVC (never has been above .500 in Conference play) but Moser has just stacked 2 really great recruiting class. People are starting to take notice to the recruiting but from what I've seen they were all pretty annoy it took them that long to potentially take the next step. Plus they were "replacing" Creighton. They have been sort an easy target.

They have a bright future going in MBB.

If we break .500 in MVC then it was a successful year.  I think we hover a few games under .500 unless lightning strikes with our unknown additions who are eligible.

We are building for a strong 2018/19 with our current roster.  Sadly that means we must ride the scoring of Tevonn and Burton heavily while hiding the PF/C positions unless things change.  I'm expecting NOTHING from our PF or backup SF this year, less than nothing because they are sooooooo young. 

The Center position was a liability on last years team, at times not.  Can that change with 2-sophomores?  I'm cautiously optimistic.  The PG will be an upgrade in conference play over last years in-conference play.

VU2014

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/862670432545239040

Missouri Valley wins by adding Valpo, but should resist expanding to 12 teams

Valparaiso is the perfect 10th member, and the MVC's best option is to stay at that number
By: Matt Norlander

Valpo to the Valley is a victory for school and league alike.

"I think we've made a decision that is the best for the Missouri Valley right now in terms of keeping us relevant and competitive and the strength of our league," league commissioner Doug Elgin told me.

"Keeping the footprint as tight as possible," Elgin said. "You find all efficiencies -- economy and reduction of missed class time -- is part of that consideration. Other conferences have stretched their footprint to a ridiculous degree and we felt that one of our strengths has always been that we have regional rivalries and a traversable footprint that, for the most part, can accomplish travel by ground transpiration, not charter. ... One of the strengths we have as a league is we're a Midwestern league and have a footprint that is respectful of student-athletes that have to travel that."

"We went into this process certainly with the possibility of going to a 12-team model, and we still keep that door open," Elgin said. "As we announced, there is a presidentially led initiative that's going to continue to examine the possibility of future expansion. If at such time there's an opportunity to expand with two new member institutions, we would do that."

"Obviously we're thinking about the financial support that's provided by the campus," Elgin said. "We wanted to make sure they're funding athletics appropriately. Academics, in general, is important. Reputation is a part of it. Not that we went looking for a private school necessarily, that's not it at all, but when you see there's an academic enhancement program coming in 2019-2020, that's going to be an important revenue stream. The stronger your academics, the more units you can earn. We looked at academic performance data, broad-based programs."

"Valpo is an established brand," Elgin said. "Obviously people understand how strong their men's basketball program has been. Overall athletic budgeting, quality of facilities. We were very positively impressed at the institutions we visited. I say that very openly and very honestly. Valparaiso, I think, was an institution we thought was ready for participation and competition in our league. They are familiar to our schools. We've had Missouri State, Indiana State and Drake play them in recent years. Attendance, they have a passionate fan base there. ... It's close enough to other institutions where it can be a travel partner."

(thought that was very interesting.... "Overall athletic budgeting, quality of facilities.")

Elgin was specific to note that the process upcoming to look at 12 would include a reboot on all potential candidates. Schools that weren't prominently vetted this time around might get a closer look if they are geographically paired with another school.

"Geography is important," Elgin said. "You tend to look in the neighborhood."

(Belmont, which would be a great addition alongside a Murray State, is satisfied with remaining in the Ohio Valley Conference, I'm told.)

"I think coaches' views are important as part of an overall league consideration," Elgin said. "They don't guide the decisions but they certainly influence it. Those are my views, you have to take into the consideration the differences in strength of schedule when you talk about 12 programs. In talking men's and women's basketball, you're not going to play 22 league games. You look at other conferences that has more than 10 members, the Atlantic 10 for instance, that is certainly a model conference for this outside the Power Five in securing multiple at-large bids year after year. You also don't want to take members into the conference that don't have a positive impact on your real strengths."

UNIFTW

Hey Doug,
You're full of  :censored:. Always have been. Always will be. No one believes a word you say. I wish you would leave the conference.

E-Villan

I am familiar with Tiebels as well. For us Evansville fans, the directions to a game up there is pretty simple. US 41 North until you get to Tiebles, stop for chicken, then hang a right on US 30.  Hope to make it up there for a game. If I can take in Valpo and Loyola, that would give me every MVC arena except the Iowa ones.

Congrats on the invite. It's been too long since the ICC days. Glad to renew the long time rivalry, and hope to see some of the Valpo fans in the Ford Center this year.

bigmosmithfan1

Valpo and the Aces used to play non-conference home-and-homes every year until the late 1980s, and a lot of those games were fun and memorable (I remember a big Valpo win at the ARC over a Marty Simmons-led UE team in like '86 or '87. Late in the game, some drunk frat boy threw a tennis ball onto the floor from the then-tiny student section located in the mezzanine, causing UE to miss an important free throw as the Aces were clawing back into the game. Somehow both refs failed to see it, Jim Crews rightfully went nuts and got T'ed up, and Simmons fouled out shortly thereafter, only to be serenaded by Valpo fans the rest of the night).

The two programs are connected in so many ways. The only Division I team that has played the Crusaders more than Evansville is... Butler.

Sadly, Valpo also shares a connection with one of the worst tragedies in the history of college sports that befell Evansville's team:

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/valparaiso-s-connection-to-evansville-tragedy/article_d3513b52-522f-11e3-b622-0019bb2963f4.html

(I was a little kid when this happened, and I still remember my parents glued to the local radio station that night).

In any event, I'm very excited to reignite that old rivalry with Evansville.

a3uge

This assumes a binary decision with no trade-offs. Had the MVC added Valpo instead of Loyola, they would have ALREADY had a great team, and possibly another tournament bid (I'd argue Valpo's team 2 years ago would have been an at-large team without the horrible RPI sinks, and actual opportunities in conference to pick up top 100 wins).

Also, what's to say Valpo wouldn't have recruited better in the MVC than the Horizon? Or even Murray State. Adding a program that *might* be capable of competing for a league championship in 5 years shouldn't be the mark for "a hell of an add" - it should be the bare minimum.

Tell Illinois State fans that Loyola was a hell of an add - they had TWO opportunities in conference at top 100 wins, and both were against a top 15 team in the country.

E-Villan

I thought I had heard every story regarding the crash, but I don't recall ever hearing the Valpo angle, and shared flight.  If we had just been able to keep the original plans and plane.....

As a 13 year old in Evansville, that night will always be vivid in my mind. We were actually at UE about the time it happened. My sister was taking weekly gymnastics lessons there, and I tagged along with my Mom and her that night. I ducked out of the gym they were in, and headed down the hall, hoping to catch a basketball practice...something I had been able to do a few times. That gym was empty, and a man walked by and said the team was on it's way to Middle Tennessee.

It wasn't until we were on our way home that we heard there was a crash at the airport, and longer after that before we knew it was the Aces.

Maybe the saddest twist of that event was the redshirt, who sat out the flight, only to be killed in a car accident two weeks later.

Anyway, my guess is that it was Simmons who chucked the free throws that night in 87?

bigmosmithfan1

Wow, that's a sad story, E-Villan.  :(

As for the free throw, I can't remember who was at the line, though it might very well have been Simmons. VU students were on his back all night (this was the first year after he transferred from IU and I remember the line from Hoosier fans was that he "couldn't hack it" in Knight's program. BK was treated like a god around the state at the time, so as unfair as that was to Simmons, people ran with it). I remember the tennis ball landing right in the middle of the lane as the shot went up and reacting with exasperation ("oh, jeez, that's going to be a *really stupid* technical foul called on our crowd"), then looking around at other Valpo fans around me in disbelief when the refs did nothing. How could they not see that? How could they miss it? Unreal!

You have to understand that Valpo's program was in the dumps back then. We had a "big" crowd for us at the time that night -- maybe 2,500 or so. Normally a couple dozen students showed up to a game, that night a couple hundred did. VU was finally playing toe-to-toe with a much better opponent, one with star player no less. And now some idiot who probably hadn't attended a game all year was going to derail it by being a moron and throwing something on the court. I was beside myself. And then we somehow got away with it. I've never seen more sympathy from VU fans for an opposing coach getting T'ed up at the ARC before or since. A few folks around me actually booed the refs when they did that.

talksalot

PG:  Let me know if you need a caddy to that golf tournament you mention on USH.

wh

Quote from: SanityLost17 on May 11, 2017, 10:03:35 AM

I would be willing to bet that going into next season Matt will expect (and believe) that they will win conference and win the tournament. Crazy competitive people with talented rosters expect results now - not after everyone is seasoned and blended.

underdawg

AS far as this cbb prediction, if you'd like an opinion from someone who has seen all except Valpo;

The guy who put it together obviously hasn't actually attended any games;

1. Il State---I know they lost a few to graduation and transfer but their coach can recruit athletes--I'm picking them until they show they can't do it in non-con games

2. MSU--this a tentative pick for me the last few years--Coach Paul Lusk is an SIU grad who coaches the MSU Bears--and he gets the best talent every year--but sometimes he has problems getting that talent to win

3. UNI===They have a great coach and system--packing their man-to man and holding teams to low scoring totals

4. Valpo---from what you say, you are salty defensively. That's a plus in the Valley

5. SIU-- we will be very athletic and if the two transfers work out at Center and PG (6-10 Kavion Pippen and 6-4 PG Marcus Bartley --a three star) we ought to be able to score and block shots on defense better than most in the league--6-8 PF senior starter Thik Bol blocked 76 shots last year and Pippen blocked 57 for his JUCO team Three Rivers. Three point shooting will pick up too with 6-4 Kyle Smithpeters back from a med. redshirt year. Our three guards will probably be 6-4 Bartley 6-4 Armon Fletcher and 6-5 Sean Lloyd/ 6-8 Bole at PF and 6-10 Pippen (the nephew of Scottie Pippen) at Center. we could finish in top three if the team gels and finds a leader (think Bartley)

6. Loyola--great talent coming in but we beat them three times last year and they had good talent then too--coaching ? 

7. .Bradley--Bradley started young players at all positions last year--but that does not mean those young players will turn into great ones--I'll believe a top three finish for the Gargoyles (That's their official nick name!) when I see it

8. Indiana State--Lansing is another great floor coach who will make the best out of his talent--a nice guy too

9. Evansville

10. Drake

UNIFTW

I don't trust Loyola for a second. Not one. Talk about their recruiting stars all you want, doesn't matter. Porter is a horrid coach. Their average recruit stars is 2.3 - highest in the existing MVC. The lowest? UNI. Every year, and I mean every year, UNI is the lowest. Care to compare how UNI has fair with the worst recruiting class every single year to places like Loyola, who love to brag about recruiting rankings?

This will be Loyola's 5th year in the MVC. Want to know how they've faired as an athletic department? I did some work on MVCFans today to show it using the All Sports Trophy rankings. The All Sports Trophy is given to the team with the highest average finish in MVC sponsored sports based on the number of MVC sports they play.

16/17 not complete yet but based on current standings/completed sports. Only outdoor T/F aren't included. Baseball is based on current standings, but the position +/-1 is locked in and shouldn't really affect the standings...anyway...LUC is 9th and based on track teams I could see LUC falling to last...for the third straight year.
1-   WSU   2.31
2-   UNI   3.35
3-   ISUR   4
4-   MSU   4.38
5-   SIU   4.41
6-   DU   6.21
7-   UE   6.38
8-   ISUB   6.45
9-   LUC   6.58
10-   BU   6.75

15/16 - 10th
1-   WSU   2.13
2-   SIU   3.56
3-   ISUR   4.53
4-   UNI   4.56
5-   MSU   4.93
6-   ISUB   5
7-   DU   5.63
8-   BU   6.07
9-   UE   6.62
10-   LUC   6.64

14/15 - 10th
1-   WSU   2.33
2-   SIU   3.86
3-   UNI   4.06
4-   MSU   4.26
5-   ISUB   4.54
6-   ISUR   4.88
7-   DU   5.56
8-   BU   5.93
9-   UE   6.23
10-   LUC   6.79

13/14 - 8TH
1-   WSU   2.13
2-   ISUB   3.21
3-   ISUR   3.94
4-   SIU   4.06
5-   UNI   4.86
6-   MSU   5.15
7-   BU   5.93
8-   LUC   6
9-   DU   6.31
10-   UE   6.38

How is Loyola finishing in each sport? Here you go
Loyola's finishes by sport (most recent year first)
M Basketball   5   8   6   10   of 10
M Cross Country   5   6   7   2   of 9
M Golf   9   9   7   9   of 9
M Soccer   1   5   5   4   of 5 - disregarding 2 affiliate members
M I T&F   8   6   3   6   of 7
M O T&F   TBD   8   5   4   of 8
W Basketball   10   5   9   8   of 10
W Cross Country   6   4   6   4   of 10
W Golf   7   6   7   9   of 10
W Soccer   6   2   6   3   of 7
Softball   8   10   9   7   of 10
W I T&F   8   9   9   4   of 9
W O T&F   TBD   9   9   7   of 9
Volleyball   6   6   7   7   of 10

Yep, that is just ONE regular season title in 4 years. ONE. They have finished top half just 8 total times in four years. That's atrocious. That is 54 completed sports seasons an there is just 1 title and 8 top half finishes. That is a title .018% of the time and a top half finish just 14% of the time.

That all equals out to this 4 year aggregate in conference all sports standings of
1-   WSU   2.22
2-   SIU   3.92
3-   ISUR   4.35
4-   UNI   4.37
5-   ISUB   4.80
6-   MSU   4.87
7-   DU   5.92
8-   BU   5.93
9-   UE   6.40
10-   LUC   6.50

Yup, Loyola has been the worst athletic department since they joined the conference. Notice any other trend in that set of stats? Notice the 4 private schools are all SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the public. No wonder the public schools feel like the privates aren't carrying their weight, especially when it comes to voting power.

Valpo coming in may be better at basketball - they need to be. For everyone involved I certainly hope the rest of your sports fair better than any of the other privates. Very quick glances and I'm not sold on it, but we'll see.