• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Possible Missouri Valley Conference Expansion

Started by VU2014, May 12, 2017, 10:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

If ever there was a program that personified the term "FLASH IN THE PAN" it was Valpo after the 1998 Sweet Sixteen appearance.

usc4valpo

Wh - Loyola is far from ready for a move to a conference like the Big East. The sad part is that DePaul leaches off the revenue from that conference. Valpo used to be the leach for the mid Con in the late 80s; in fact Schabel at that time promoted it!

I hate to say it, but I will say that a Final Four and a historic national championship for Loyola is more impressive than Valpo's body of work.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: usc4valpo on July 15, 2018, 06:20:24 PM
Wh - Loyola is far from ready for a move to a conference like the Big East. The sad part is that DePaul leaches off the revenue from that conference. Valpo used to be the leach for the mid Con in the late 80s; in fact Schabel at that time promoted it!

I hate to say it, but I will say that a Final Four and a historic national championship for Loyola is more impressive than Valpo's body of work.

No argument here.  Sustained excellence is very close but no cigar.

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on July 15, 2018, 06:04:56 PM
If ever there was a program that personified the term "FLASH IN THE PAN" it was Valpo after the 1998 Sweet Sixteen appearance.

I wouldn't call the Valpo's S16 run a total "flash in the pan". As frustrating as it is that Harre and the leadership at the time didn't seriously invest in the program and seize the potential momentum, but that era of Valpo Basketball did build the foundation for the program. It gave the program credibility and built Valpo into a name brand Mid-Major institution.

Valpo went to postseason since then, but we haven't achieve the success we hoped for since.

George Mason's run was more of what I'd consider a flash in the pan, because they haven't done much since. Valpo has grown into strong mid-major program, which isn't nothing.

Let's stop "knighting" Loyola on this board. Yes, give them credit for what they accomplished but let's not flatter them like they are some mid-major powerhouse that does this every single season. They are an asset to this conference and rival. I want us to kick their @$$ and beat them next season. Let's hope a fiery rivalry builds up over the next few years.

usc4valpo

Loyola may have ignited a spark in a Chicago college basketball interest, which has certainly been lacking for the past 25 years. They have a new practice facility and an air conditioned arena - they are making a committment for the future.

a3uge

Air Conditioning wins championships[emoji769]

usc4valpo

Besides Valpo, what other MVC school does not have AC in their primary sports facility? We need to step it up

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on July 15, 2018, 09:27:44 PMWe need to step it up

I hope you are using a collective "we" that includes us as members of this board and not just a royal "we."

AC for the ARC fund
in care of
Kris Sanders, Administrative Asst
Athletics Recreation Center
1009 Union Street
Valparaiso, IN 46383
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on July 15, 2018, 06:55:04 PM
Quote from: bbtds on July 15, 2018, 06:04:56 PM

I wouldn't call the Valpo's S16 run a total "flash in the pan". As frustrating as it is that Harre and the leadership at the time didn't seriously invest in the program and seize the potential momentum, but that era of Valpo Basketball did build the foundation for the program. It gave the program credibility and built Valpo into a name brand Mid-Major institution.

Valpo went to postseason since then, but we haven't achieve the success we hoped for since.

George Mason's run was more of what I'd consider a flash in the pan, because they haven't done much since. Valpo has grown into strong mid-major program, which isn't nothing.

Let's stop "knighting" Loyola on this board. Yes, give them credit for what they accomplished but let's not flatter them like they are some mid-major powerhouse that does this every single season. They are an asset to this conference and rival. I want us to kick their @$$ and beat them next season. Let's hope a fiery rivalry builds up over the next few years.

I would say the Drews built the Valpo program. They didn't get much help at all from the Valpo BOD, president (Harre) or the other teams in the Mid-Con conference.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: bbtds on July 16, 2018, 12:26:04 PM
Quote from: bbtds on July 15, 2018, 06:04:56 PMIf ever there was a program that personified the term "FLASH IN THE PAN" it was Valpo after the 1998 Sweet Sixteen appearance.
I wouldn't call the Valpo's S16 run a total "flash in the pan". As frustrating as it is that Harre and the leadership at the time didn't seriously invest in the program and seize the potential momentum, but that era of Valpo Basketball did build the foundation for the program. It gave the program credibility and built Valpo into a name brand Mid-Major institution. Valpo went to postseason since then, but we haven't achieve the success we hoped for since. George Mason's run was more of what I'd consider a flash in the pan, because they haven't done much since. Valpo has grown into strong mid-major program, which isn't nothing. Let's stop "knighting" Loyola on this board. Yes, give them credit for what they accomplished but let's not flatter them like they are some mid-major powerhouse that does this every single season. They are an asset to this conference and rival. I want us to kick their @$$ and beat them next season. Let's hope a fiery rivalry builds up over the next few years.
I would say the Drews built the Valpo program. They didn't get much help at all from the Valpo BOD, president (Harre) or the other teams in the Mid-Con conference.

I wasgoing to rebut the George Mason claim because they made the A10 but it's 100% spot on. They haven't made the tournament or even recorded a top 100 RPI since they left the CAA. In fact, since then they have only 1 season where their RPI was better than 150 and just 2 years  where they bested 200. Their last tournament bid was in 2010-2011 and their last top 100 finish was the year after that at 82. Yet, I still see their name and think of it as a program with some cache and gravitas. Such is the power of a final 4 run, I suppose.

wh

Valpo will be receiving a huge, totally unanticipated, annually recurring windfall from the Loyola tournament run. Air condition the freaking ARC with it and stop passing around a hat like some street beggar. What's next - 50/50 raffles at home games to pay for a new ARC water heater. How embarrassing.

wh

Quote from: wh on July 16, 2018, 01:42:00 PM
Valpo will be receiving a huge, totally unanticipated, annually recurring windfall from the Loyola tournament run. Air condition the freaking ARC with it and stop passing around a hat like some street beggar. What's next - 50/50 raffles at home games to pay for a new ARC water heater. How embarrassing.

BTW while you're at it, replace the freaking PA system that's been broken for the past 10 years, and don't pass the hat for that either. It's actually hard to believe that Valpo is a member of a prominent D1 conference, when it cries poor about the cost of building mechanicals and has a tin can out of the 1980's for a communication system.

God forbid that I would bring up the ARC parking FUBAR. I can only imagine the number of hats and 50/50 raffles it will take to bale the university out of that facility planning masterpiece.

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 16, 2018, 12:51:43 PM
Quote from: bbtds on July 16, 2018, 12:26:04 PM
Quote from: bbtds on July 15, 2018, 06:04:56 PMIf ever there was a program that personified the term "FLASH IN THE PAN" it was Valpo after the 1998 Sweet Sixteen appearance.
I wouldn't call the Valpo's S16 run a total "flash in the pan". As frustrating as it is that Harre and the leadership at the time didn't seriously invest in the program and seize the potential momentum, but that era of Valpo Basketball did build the foundation for the program. It gave the program credibility and built Valpo into a name brand Mid-Major institution. Valpo went to postseason since then, but we haven't achieve the success we hoped for since. George Mason's run was more of what I'd consider a flash in the pan, because they haven't done much since. Valpo has grown into strong mid-major program, which isn't nothing. Let's stop "knighting" Loyola on this board. Yes, give them credit for what they accomplished but let's not flatter them like they are some mid-major powerhouse that does this every single season. They are an asset to this conference and rival. I want us to kick their @$$ and beat them next season. Let's hope a fiery rivalry builds up over the next few years.

I wasgoing to rebut the George Mason claim because they made the A10 but it's 100% spot on. They haven't made the tournament or even recorded a top 100 RPI since they left the CAA. In fact, since then they have only 1 season where their RPI was better than 150 and just 2 years  where they bested 200. Their last tournament bid was in 2010-2011 and their last top 100 finish was the year after that at 82. Yet, I still see their name and think of it as a program with some cache and gravitas. Such is the power of a final 4 run, I suppose.

So GM's famous picture or his refusal to sign the Declaration of Independence had nothing to do with it?

justducky

Quote from: wh on July 16, 2018, 03:42:27 PM

BTW while you're at it, replace the freaking PA system that's been broken for the past 10 years, and don't pass the hat for that either. It's actually hard to believe that Valpo is a member of a prominent D1 conference, when it cries poor about the cost of building mechanicals and has a tin can out of the 1980's for a communication system.

God forbid that I would bring up the ARC parking FUBAR. I can only imagine the number of hats and 50/50 raffles it will take to bale the university out of that facility planning masterpiece.

wh is on a roll so I will just sit back, ENJOY, and try to behave.   :thumbsup:

bigmosmithfan1

Am I seeing agreement that one of the big elements of Loyola turning their program around was making a serious investment in their facilities (despite the fact that they weren't selling out their old facility first?), which bolstered their recruiting and laid the groundwork for a Final Four run? That can't be! Our aging high-school gym is just fine! Ask anyone in the administration!

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 16, 2018, 12:51:43 PM

That's the power of Jim Larranaga. 5 of the school's 6 tourney appearances (including the F4 run) were while he was there. After he left after the 2011 season, they've been irrelevant. 

VU2014

Jim Larranaga might be finding himself in hot water if the potential recruiting violations are true. Miami has been one of the major schools allegedly being probed by the FBI. It feels like Miami always finds themselves committing recruiting violations when it comes to their football program.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on July 16, 2018, 06:05:49 PM
Jim Larranaga might be finding himself in hot water if the potential recruiting violations are true. Miami has been one of the major schools allegedly being probed by the FBI. It feels like Miami always finds themselves committing recruiting violations when it comes to their football program.
Actually not so in the last 10-15 years. Miami's football program has not been at the top of the rankings but they also have been academically sound under a former University president, Donna Shalala, a former US Secretary of Health and Human Services, who demanded reform in the athletic department, and much more academic excellence from all U of Miami students. Shalala is no longer Miami president but she is currently a prof in Political Science.

historyman

Quote from: wh on July 16, 2018, 03:42:27 PM

I want to make it perfectly clear that no one in the athletic dept came up with or assumed it their idea to ask members of this message board to donate funds for any athletic dept needs. This was the sole idea of Mr. Valpo and myself and MLB agreed if funds were donated for a certain cause, as in the past, those funds would be used for the cause that they were designated for. MLB and Kris Sanders also agreed to communicate with me what the total of the fund for AC in the ARC was a certain times in the future. This athletic dept did not "pass the hat" in any way. Mr. Valpo and myself thought this was an excellent way to let members of this board "put their money where their mouth is" and quit assuming that the University must provide all the funding. If you don't feel you can make a donation, then don't. I really hope you are willing to step back and let others contribute without poo-pooing the athletic dept for letting it happen.

And for God's sake MLB and the athletic dept are not in charge of parking at VU. Other Ath. Depts at other universities may be in charge of some parking in some situations but no ath. dept is in charge of all parking at a university campus and Valpo's parking situation, as far as walking distance is not nearly as bad as ISUb, SIU, Loyola, Ball State, Notre Dame, Indiana, Purdue, UNI, all places I have attended games in the past.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

IrishDawg

Quote from: historyman on July 16, 2018, 11:40:42 PM
And for God's sake MLB and the athletic dept are not in charge of parking at VU. Other Ath. Depts at other universities may be in charge of some parking in some situations but no ath. dept is in charge of all parking at a university campus and Valpo's parking situation, as far as walking distance is not nearly as bad as ISUb, SIU, Loyola, Ball State, Notre Dame, Indiana, Purdue, UNI, all places I have attended games in the past.

As a visiting fan to some of the places you mentioned above (Ball State, Notre Dame, IU and Purdue), I'd put Valpo somewhere in the middle of that group in terms of convenience vs. size of the arena.  Purdue and IU are the worst to park at in terms of normal walking distance to the arena, but their stadiums also hold 14-16k.  Notre Dame you park in the football lots right next to Purcell, so it and Ball State I found were more convenient than Valpo's in the past.  Notre Dame was playing North Carolina the last time I went, and I still had maybe a 2-3 minute walk from my car to the arena and the parking was free.  Ball State I parked basically right next to Worthen.  At Valpo I've had games where I was able to park pretty close, and others I've had a much further walk than I've experienced at least at Ball State and ND.  I say this knowing that Butler's parking situation is worse than Valpo's unless you splurge for a parking pass or show up plenty early to park in the neighborhoods.

I will say that any athletic department's main concern should be getting people in the door and building a younger fan base vs. parking convenience.  Modern amenities can help with that, but people will come if the team is good and the opponents are too.

wh

Quote from: IrishDawg on July 17, 2018, 06:54:31 AM

As a visiting fan to some of the places you mentioned above (Ball State, Notre Dame, IU and Purdue), I'd put Valpo somewhere in the middle of that group in terms of convenience vs. size of the arena.  Purdue and IU are the worst to park at in terms of normal walking distance to the arena, but their stadiums also hold 14-16k.  Notre Dame you park in the football lots right next to Purcell, so it and Ball State I found were more convenient than Valpo's in the past.  Notre Dame was playing North Carolina the last time I went, and I still had maybe a 2-3 minute walk from my car to the arena and the parking was free.  Ball State I parked basically right next to Worthen.  At Valpo I've had games where I was able to park pretty close, and others I've had a much further walk than I've experienced at least at Ball State and ND.  I say this knowing that Butler's parking situation is worse than Valpo's unless you splurge for a parking pass or show up plenty early to park in the neighborhoods.

I will say that any athletic department's main concern should be getting people in the door and building a younger fan base vs. parking convenience.  Modern amenities can help with that, but people will come if the team is good and the opponents are too.

You can forget anything you recall about the ARC parking situation when Butler played here, because none of it applies today. General parking has been eliminated in mass in every direction surrounding the ARC. Whole blocks of street parking in close proximity to the ARC have been turned into np-parking zones.  It is a blatant (and bizarre) disregard for the paying public, and is unquestionably a contributing factor to Valpo's ongoing attendance free fall.         

VU2014

Quote from: wh on July 17, 2018, 09:31:21 AM
Quote from: IrishDawg on July 17, 2018, 06:54:31 AM

You can forget anything you recall about the ARC parking situation when Butler played here, because none of it applies today. General parking has been eliminated in mass in every direction surrounding the ARC. Whole blocks of street parking in close proximity to the ARC have been turned into np-parking zones.  It is a blatant (and bizarre) disregard for the paying public, and is unquestionably a contributing factor to Valpo's ongoing attendance free fall.         

If they would just allowed parking on the surrounding streets it would sollves a lot of the problems, but the city pushed hard to disallow street parking during games.

vu72

I think there was a hope that the addition (acquisition) of the hospital parking ramp would help solve the athletic parking problem.  When the ramp was deemed unsafe that changed although I think that that area may have been resurfaced now.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on July 17, 2018, 10:16:17 AM
I think there was a hope that the addition (acquisition) of the hospital parking ramp would help solve the athletic parking problem.  When the ramp was deemed unsafe that changed although I think that that area may have been resurfaced now.

The empty lot where the hospital use to be would be ideal for parking but I seem to remember the city won't allow it to used for parking because it doesn't meet drainage code or something.

valpo64

I've always been impressed how the University, and City of Valpo work together to solve these kind of problems....NOT!!!!!