• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Possible Missouri Valley Conference Expansion

Started by VU2014, May 12, 2017, 10:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

And NKU has lost my support as MVC #12...

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/behind-closed-doors-what-really-is-going-on-with-the-womens-basketball-team-at-northern-kentucky-university

Say what you will of the shortcomings of this athletic department at least we aren't run by scoundrels like this.

VUGrad1314

I think what disgusts and disturbs me the most about this whole situation is that their AD cared more about the location of the HL tournament than he did about the well being of his own athletes. That is reprehensible and that department should not be rewarded with a step up in conference prestige or with the privilege of hosting the conference tournament under any circumstances. Shame on NKU

VUGrad1314

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 29, 2019, 05:00:29 PMWardle's soulmate.

Speaking of Wardle he just added an impact transfer today from LSU.

NativeCheesehead

It will make me physically ill losing to that guy for the next 3-5 years.

VUGrad1314

Hopefully it won't happen that way but our two programs appear to be going in opposite directions. Bradley is going to be really good next year. Hopefully we can get some good recruiting news soon to get the optimism flowing again.

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 29, 2019, 11:10:53 PM
Hopefully it won't happen that way but our two programs appear to be going in opposite directions. Bradley is going to be really good next year. Hopefully we can get some good recruiting news soon to get the optimism flowing again.

I really wasn't sure if you were ever going to have any hope in the Valpo MBB program again. Good to see you turning the corner finally in your outlook.

VUGrad1314

I said in another thread that I was going to try to be more positive and make the best of the situation as it is and will be for next year even if I disagree and don't like it and I am trying to keep my word. I try to post accurately honestly and to be consistent/keep my word when I give it so I'm doing my best. I love this school this conference and this sport too much to ever truly leave for good anyway and what's the point of being a fan if you have literally nothing to hope for? The upgrades we seek will come someday. They have to. And we've won before despite these shortcomings. It can happen again even if it's harder here in the MVC. It's not like we're sentenced to a lifetime of Lottich either. There's too much pride in this program and its performance for that. I have a tough time seeing him survive another subpar season and if he does I'm sure I won't be the only one unhappy. Right now he's our coach so let's get behind him and hope that he truly is the man who can take us to the top of the MVC. Go Valpo!

VUGrad1314

Rick Byrd retiring from Belmont He was a main voice of opposition to the move to the MVC It could be game on and if so this is tremendous news for the MVC

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 01, 2019, 02:29:33 PM
Rick Byrd retiring from Belmont He was a main voice of opposition to the move to the MVC It could be game on and if so this is tremendous news for the MVC

He was also basically the entire reason that Belmont was as good as it was every year.  Unless they make a dynamite hire (and it should be a desirable mid-major job), will it still be a school that the MVC will still desire in a few years?

VUGrad1314

1. If they don't already have somebody in mind or a quality potential hire on  staff they could probably poach the coach at Lipscomb away As I recall he's a Belmont grad

2. Who cares if this is what it takes to get Murray State into the MVC then so be it At least we've seen what Belmont can be and know that they have the potential to be a great addition

valpopal

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 01, 2019, 03:00:29 PM
1. If they don't already have somebody in mind or a quality potential hire on  staff they could probably poach the coach at Lipscomb away As I recall he's a Belmont grad

2. Who cares if this is what it takes to get Murray State into the MVC then so be it At least we've seen what Belmont can be and know that they have the potential to be a great addition

Belmont has a guy already living in its neighborhood who could coach and might not want to move his family named Bryce...or would that count as an April Fool prank?

VUGrad1314

What a kick in the groin that would be. Belmont joins the MVC and tabs Bryce as its coach. Talk about the ultimate double edged sword.

valpopal

Of course, another twist would be if Belmont hired Lipscomb's coach Casey Alexander, a Belmont product, and Lipscomb hires Drew, since they are also a Christian school in Nashville. With Belmont or Lipscomb Bryce and his coaches don't need to move their families.

VUGrad1314

And honestly neither one would be a bad landing spot. Lipscomb would probably get a ticket into the OVC if any movement occurs and both schools have nice facilities.

vu72

I'd take Lipscomb with Murray.  Valpo has been playing Lipscomb lately with both the softball and baseball teams coming to Nashville.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

With PFW joining the Horizon, I again beat the Murray to MVC drum and go in a bit on what I perceive as laziness on the part of the university presidents of the member institutions

If this is a unilateral expansion move on the part of the Horizon League and not a response to a loss of a member then this ought to be upsetting for every MVC fan. The Horizon League is a definite one bid league and they are expanding to include a school that doesn't really help them that much unless they want more conference games. They're not worried about their tournament share or any of this other BS that is holding the MVC back. Yet we refuse to add a school in Murray State that could meaningfully help us and actually give us a legitimate shot at multibid status.

What is the reasoning that doesn't scream that the MVC university presidents don't care enough about the health and viability of the league as a serious national player in its flagship sport? Why can the Horizon League add Purdue Fort Wayne as a definite one bid league with the Mastadons not being a program that can help them elevate to possible at large status while the MVC can look at a program like Murray State that can elevate the MVC to potential multibid status and say "Nah we're good." Are Murray State's academics seriously that bad? Bear in mind that unless there is another addition to the Horizon League (which is possible but I haven't seen any indication of that) they have the SAME scheduling issues for other sports but went ahead with it anyway. Are MVC schools that strapped for cash? It's not like Murray State isn't in the footprint either. As I recall it's within 5 hours of virtually every MVC member just like PFW is in relation to the Horizon League. There is literally no sound argument that can be made for why the Racers are not in as an 11th team while we wait on a twelfth when the freaking Horizon just did it. Are we less responsive to the athletic needs of this conference than the Horizon League? Are we less proactive? The only thing this does for the MVC is elevate it and make it better. Add a home and home with Murray State to everyone's schedule and SOS goes up and the need for non D1s becomes non existent. The MVC hates non D1s It also hates buy games. Name me a better way to get two games than a home and home with Murray State that doesn't involve a buy game and one of the games must be a home game for your team? If you want to talk about travel, the opponent must also be close to equidistant from your school as Murray State is. I'll wait while you come up with your answers.  unfortunately people whose opinions matter on these things don't have the stomach or the heart to do what needs to be done. That said I'd rather be bought by an A10 team than schedule a non D1 but that's just me.What do I know? I have this stupid idea that schools in upper level mid major conferences should fight all they can to garner at large bids so I want to see the strongest possible schedule that has a reasonable chance to be successful but apparently that's just silly talk and I should know my place.

vu84v2

I am in favor of adding Murray State and agree with much of your reasoning. However, here are reasons why the MVC might want to not pursue adding Murray State:

1. Travel. 5 hours from every MVC team? It is a 9 hour drive from Drake and Northern Iowa. Heck, it is 6 1/2 hours from Valpo. Murray is remote. If you consider flying commercial, you have to fly to Nashville and drive two hours or fly through Chicago to Paducah and then drive 45 minutes. Yes, it is two hours from SIU - but two hours in the wrong direction. No good options. Remember, ADs and University Presidents are thinking about all sports - not just basketball.
2. Financial stability (for universities in the state of Kentucky). The state has been cutting the spending on state universities and Murray is never going to be ahead of Louisville or UK in getting attention. Murray has been cutting their budget recently and has had shortfalls to overcome.

I never heard of an academic concern with Murray and I do not think such a concern would be justified. It is probably on par with SIU, Northern Iowa and Illinois State - and there is nothing really wrong with that.

vu72

Quote from: vu84v2 on August 06, 2019, 12:46:47 PM5 hours from every MVC team?

2 hour drive from Evansville. 

There is a regional airport in Paducah.

http://barkleyregional.com/PAHmap
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo95

This may be a dumb question, but is there any evidence that Murray State really wants to join the MVC?

It is fine that fans think it is a better conference, yet is it obvious that this is a better spot for Murray State? Keep in mind that the previous discussions that for the current MVC members, adding Murray State would require one more longish road trip (to Murray State) per year. However, Murray State is close to the center of the OVC, so nearly all of their road trips would be longer and more expensive.

VUGrad1314

We do know that their previous AD was adamantly in favor of this move (basically the anti-Rick Byrd) Since they haven't had the opportunity (that we know of) to express whether they are willing to go we don't know if that's still the case but the fan base is certainly on board and I would have to guess that the administration would be as well. Bringing opponents of the caliber the MVC could provide would almost certainly boost attendance to all sports.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 06, 2019, 03:39:43 PM
We do know that their previous AD was adamantly in favor of this move (basically the anti-Rick Byrd) Since they haven't had the opportunity (that we know of) to express whether they are willing to go we don't know if that's still the case but the fan base is certainly on board and I would have to guess that the administration would be as well. Bringing opponents of the caliber the MVC could provide would almost certainly boost attendance to all sports.

Would it provide an attendance boost?  In theory, it sounds like a no brainer, but would Murray State fans turn out more for a game against Indiana State than Morehead State?  Loyola I'm sure they would turn out for, but they sold out games this year against Belmont and Austin Peay.  They had basically the same amount of fans for a home game against Evansville as Morehead State.

We can blame part of the attendance drop for the MVC move for Valpo on the team's performance, but even Loyola, who went into the MVC with Wichita State in it saw a drop in attendance from the Horizon League really until the 2017-18 season, and they won 6 combined conference games their last 2 years in the Horizon.

I agree with your greater point that having Murray State in the MVC would benefit the league, but I'm not sure attendance would change much for the Racers or the rest of the league with their addition.

may know

This is a good discussion. It's interesting VUGRAD1314 made the same post here and on MVCFans, and this site produced quality debate while the MVC site produced an angry MoSt fan insulting VUGRAD1314 for sharing his opinion.