• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Possible Missouri Valley Conference Expansion

Started by VU2014, May 12, 2017, 10:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

SFA baby!!!!! Axe em Jacks!!  Add another teacher's college to the MVC!

VALPO LI

Quote from: vok22 on April 12, 2021, 11:51:29 AM
It seems as like a 12 bid MVC is being discussed by the league. I have seen multiple articles this morning (I'll connect them later) say that sources are saying the league wants to expand outride of the midwest and are looking at a Texas team and.... Cleveland State???

Texas ??? ??? ???
That is interesting who could the Valley pluck from the Lone Star State?
Houston Baptist, Incarnate Word or Texas A&M Corpus Christi from the falling apart Southland?
Texas State or Texas Arlington from the Sun Belt? And what happens to those schools football programs? (No football at TAMUCC).
Is DBU moving up to D1 with all its sports???
Texas ??? ??? ???
Shine on Vu

may know

I see no way MVC expansion occurs without Murray St.

I read the article. The Cleveland St and Texas thing is probably just one administrator's idea, who leaked it to the author, but isn't actually a shared sentiment across the league.

Schools like us, Evansville, etc. are hit hard by Covid. Most of these schools are not voting to add a flight for all sports.

crusadermoe

Texas ??    Better than Cleveland State.

SLU or bust.   The A-10 travel budget expenses at SLU can't be popular among faculty, especially, and COVID only magnified that.  Their travel is outlandish. 

may know

Faculty have roughly 0% sway in conference affiliation decisions.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 12, 2021, 12:57:30 PMSFA baby!!!!! Axe em Jacks!!  Add another teacher's college to the MVC!

I would love to see SFA added. Great basketball program in both men's and women's basketball. Don't see it happening with their move to the WAC though.

Quote from: VALPO LI on April 12, 2021, 01:03:35 PM
Quote from: vok22 on April 12, 2021, 11:51:29 AMIt seems as like a 12 bid MVC is being discussed by the league. I have seen multiple articles this morning (I'll connect them later) say that sources are saying the league wants to expand outride of the midwest and are looking at a Texas team and.... Cleveland State???
Texas ??? ??? ??? That is interesting who could the Valley pluck from the Lone Star State? Houston Baptist, Incarnate Word or Texas A&M Corpus Christi from the falling apart Southland? Texas State or Texas Arlington from the Sun Belt? And what happens to those schools football programs? (No football at TAMUCC). Is DBU moving up to D1 with all its sports??? Texas ??? ??? ???

No football at UTA either. Incarnate Word is being looked at by the WAC which is a better fit for all involved. No way we want a school on the Texas-Mexico border like TAMUCC. I think the Texas thing is just conjecture based on the fact that our new commissioner comes from the Big XII and nothing more. I remember hearing some whispers (from sources like Father Harry) that schools like SFA and UTA could be on the table but that was pre-pandemic and I'm not sure if either party is interested in that now especially with UTA having fallen off somewhat from where they were when those rumors were floated and SFA having already made a move.  I also agree with Crusadermoe that if we can accomplish expansion without adding flights that is ideal. Murray State and Belmont is the ideal play.  Maybe Belmont is finally receptive after seeing what the selection committee thinks of the OVC in having them miss even the NIT despite lading D1 in wins and watching two decent schools (with the possibility of a third by the end of next year) leave the OVC.

VALPO LI

SLU would be a great fit for The Valley but The Valley may not be a great fit for SLU.  I feel they are waiting for the Big East to come a calling.
Shine on Vu

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 12, 2021, 01:24:33 PM

Maybe Belmont is finally receptive after seeing what the selection committee thinks of the OVC in having them miss even the NIT despite lading D1 in wins and watching two decent schools (with the possibility of a third by the end of next year) leave the OVC.

The MVC literally just got hosed on seeding for the 2nd time at least (1st time would have been WSU in 16-17) with Loyola getting an 8-seed despite being a top 10-15 team in the analytics, so I'm not sure that's the best argument for Belmont.  Also, Belmont was rated about 15 spots lower in those same analytics and the NIT cut its field in half this year, so I'm not sure that's a great argument either.

Also, while neither of the programs leaving the OVC are good losses on the basketball side of the conference, that's also 2 less mouths to feed for Belmont and Murray State, the former of whom got a bid in 2019 on the backs of their non-conference results, so it really depends on whether or not they're still able to get those games (and they're almost always on the road), because they'll have 2 more opportunities if the OVC now moves to an 18 game schedule with only 10 teams remaining.  Not saying the sell shouldn't be made to either or both Murray State or Belmont, but their shot at a multi-bid league would only be marginally better in the MVC compared to the OVC if one or both moved, and that kind of depends on how Loyola does moving forward.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: IrishDawg on April 12, 2021, 02:08:52 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 12, 2021, 01:24:33 PMMaybe Belmont is finally receptive after seeing what the selection committee thinks of the OVC in having them miss even the NIT despite lading D1 in wins and watching two decent schools (with the possibility of a third by the end of next year) leave the OVC.
The MVC literally just got hosed on seeding for the 2nd time at least (1st time would have been WSU in 16-17) with Loyola getting an 8-seed despite being a top 10-15 team in the analytics, so I'm not sure that's the best argument for Belmont.  Also, Belmont was rated about 15 spots lower in those same analytics and the NIT cut its field in half this year, so I'm not sure that's a great argument either. Also, while neither of the programs leaving the OVC are good losses on the basketball side of the conference, that's also 2 less mouths to feed for Belmont and Murray State, the former of whom got a bid in 2019 on the backs of their non-conference results, so it really depends on whether or not they're still able to get those games (and they're almost always on the road), because they'll have 2 more opportunities if the OVC now moves to an 18 game schedule with only 10 teams remaining.  Not saying the sell shouldn't be made to either or both Murray State or Belmont, but their shot at a multi-bid league would only be marginally better in the MVC compared to the OVC if one or both moved, and that kind of depends on how Loyola does moving forward.

Great counterargument. A lot of good points there. It's important to remember that in a non-COVID year Belmont would have had its NIT bid as the regular season champion of the OVC. Would they have gotten at least one home game (which a lot of people I'm sure would argue that they deserve?) probably not because regular season champions of leagues like the OVC are rarely favored when it comes to NIT seeding. I feel like the chance to host NIT games as the floor of a season would be greater in the MVC than the OVC and that would be enough to take on the challenge considering the travel budget isn't exactly insane for Belmont in the MVC especially if they go to divisions which could be very possible and even encouraged. The selection committee definitely doesn't have nearly enough regard for the MVC and it has even less regard for the OVC. Yes Belmont got in a few years ago but I really think that was more a nod of respect to Rick Byrd than anything else (mixed in with a little luck of Lipscomb being a really good team and somehow adding two quality wins to Belmont's schedule they were not expecting). In fairness, the same thing happened to Drake with the COVID scheduling giving them two extra Q2 games (that they both won) that they otherwise wouldn't have had. Drake got lucky too. I agree that Loyola will probably be important to the multibid future of the MVC but it's also eminently possible that another program could rise and help fulfill that goal for the conference. There are a few teams who could rise to fill that role. (Drake UNI possibly SIU or Missouri State or Bradley Us and Illinois State if either program ever gets it's act together). There are plenty of good reasons for both Murray and Belmont and the MVC to consider the move. The reality is that "marginally better" is the best we can hope for when it comes to realignment at the MVC or Murray\Belmont level.

VUGrad1314

I can't help but wonder if this article is out there to indicate one of the following possibilities:

1. Both Murray and Belmont are a go

2. The MVC is trying to put pressure on Belmont

3. They have found a suitable 12th other than Belmont

I can't imagine Murray State would be left high and dry here though I suppose it's possible. I hope we get some traction and more information soon enough. Murray State and Belmont would be a huge coup for the MVC. Both have very strong potential.

I know this is only tangentially related to the MVC but I wonder if the possibility of Murray State and Belmont moving and also all of the WAC news means that maybe that AQ7 one year alliance that the ASUN and WAC are forming either isn't allowed or isn't going to happen. Perhaps a school like Austin Peay is looking to make a move to the ASUN now? Perhaps the WAC has zeroed in on a candidate? IWU or a D2 callup. My bet is the AQ7 one year alliance is probably still intact unless Incarnate Word is indeed the add the WAC goes with. If it's a D2 callup like WTAMU Angelo State or TAMU-Commerce then we know that the alliance is going to hold for one year. But the fact that they're looking at Incarnate Word at all seems to suggest to me that maybe the alliance isn't going to hold.

VALPO LI

Where is this article that you all speak off.
Can you post the link.
Shine on Vu

valpotx

If it is a team in TX, I would hope for Dallas Baptist to go all-in on D-1.  Apologies that we are on the opposite side of the fence again USC, but no to SFA.  I am glad that they have repaired their 'party school' reputation, but no one wants to travel to NacoNowhere, TX.  They should stick to the WAC and that new direction.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpotx on April 12, 2021, 06:35:31 PMIf it is a team in TX, I would hope for Dallas Baptist to go all-in on D-1.  Apologies that we are on the opposite side of the fence again USC, but no to SFA.  I am glad that they have repaired their 'party school' reputation, but no one wants to travel to NacoNowhere, TX.  They should stick to the WAC and that new direction.

DBU is super unlikely. I have heard they don't even have women's basketball and their athletics budget right now is pretty low for the MVC as I understand. They would have to invest a lot to be ready. I'm guessing they're looking at a school like UTA which is not very exciting.

IndyValpo

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 12, 2021, 12:57:30 PMSFA baby!!!!! Axe em Jacks!!  Add another teacher's college to the MVC!

I would love to see SFA added. Great basketball program in both men's and women's basketball. Don't see it happening with their move to the WAC though.

Quote from: vok22 on April 12, 2021, 11:51:29 AMIt seems as like a 12 bid MVC is being discussed by the league. I have seen multiple articles this morning (I'll connect them later) say that sources are saying the league wants to expand outride of the midwest and are looking at a Texas team and.... Cleveland State???
Texas ??? ??? ??? That is interesting who could the Valley pluck from the Lone Star State? Houston Baptist, Incarnate Word or Texas A&M Corpus Christi from the falling apart Southland? Texas State or Texas Arlington from the Sun Belt? And what happens to those schools football programs? (No football at TAMUCC). Is DBU moving up to D1 with all its sports??? Texas ??? ??? ???

No football at UTA either. Incarnate Word is being looked at by the WAC which is a better fit for all involved. No way we want a school on the Texas-Mexico border like TAMUCC. I think the Texas thing is just conjecture based on the fact that our new commissioner comes from the Big XII and nothing more. I remember hearing some whispers (from sources like Father Harry) that schools like SFA and UTA could be on the table but that was pre-pandemic and I'm not sure if either party is interested in that now especially with UTA having fallen off somewhat from where they were when those rumors were floated and SFA having already made a move.  I also agree with Crusadermoe that if we can accomplish expansion without adding flights that is ideal. Murray State and Belmont is the ideal play.  Maybe Belmont is finally receptive after seeing what the selection committee thinks of the OVC in having them miss even the NIT despite lading D1 in wins and watching two decent schools (with the possibility of a third by the end of next year) leave the OVC.
Imagine the surprise to the students in Corpus Christi when they learn they are on the US/Mexico border.  I think you are confusing it with UTRGV.

usc4valpo

Honestly, SFA would be great for the MVC. This school is on the rise folks. beautiful campus, academics are better, decent sports, teachers college like other Valley schools, yes txvalpo we disagree but you are in denial of the the greatness of the Conference of Champions

VUGrad1314

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 12, 2021, 08:06:59 PM
Imagine the surprise to the students in Corpus Christi when they learn they are on the US/Mexico border.  I think you are confusing it with UTRGV.

I wasn't I just thought it was further south than it is. Point taken.

valpotx

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 12, 2021, 08:11:41 PM
Honestly, SFA would be great for the MVC. This school is on the rise folks. beautiful campus, academics are better, decent sports, teachers college like other Valley schools, yes txvalpo we disagree but you are in denial of the the greatness of the Conference of Champions

When I was in school, SFA was the school you attended if you wanted to get drunk every day, and yes, classes happened on occasion :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

humbleopinion

Quote from: valpotx on April 12, 2021, 09:31:39 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on April 12, 2021, 08:11:41 PM

When I was in school, SFA was the school you attended if you wanted to get drunk every day, and yes, classes happened on occasion :)

That would match well with SIU's and InSU's reputations back in the day.
Beamin' Beacons

elephtheria47

Every year there are rumors of potential expansion. Is the MVC unstable/not happy with its current version? Not a good look for every summer to be saying we're looking into expansion. Much better to say we are happy with our current members...and someone comes along to move the needle then look at them.

Cleveland State does not move the needle. A school in Texas does not move the needle. Lets not be adding teams just to add teams.

may know

Yes, expansion that doesn't involve Murray St or Belmont is just expansion for the sake of expansion.

RacerJoeD

Quote from: may know on April 13, 2021, 10:52:38 AM
Yes, expansion that doesn't involve Murray St or Belmont is just expansion for the sake of expansion.

I support this message...

Hello to all. I was cruising the board and thought I would drop in. Wanted to give you all some rumors on OVC expansion if you are interested but the tl;dr on that is that they won't do anything to sway the Racers, if the MVC came calling I think we would answer.

IndyValpo

Quote from: RacerJoeD on April 14, 2021, 01:55:27 PM
Quote from: may know on April 13, 2021, 10:52:38 AM

I support this message...

Hello to all. I was cruising the board and thought I would drop in. Wanted to give you all some rumors on OVC expansion if you are interested but the tl;dr on that is that they won't do anything to sway the Racers, if the MVC came calling I think we would answer.

Would be interested to see where the OVC was headed. 2 football schools leaving plus questions about Austin Peay maybe following could be a killer

RacerJoeD

Now this is all rumor so tifwiw

OVC is adding two. The scuttlebutt is Chattanooga and Western Illinois.

As for Peay, I highly doubt the go anywhere. There is very little support in Clarksville.

usc4valpo

Murray St. and SFA in the Valley. Perfect, now make it happen. Conference membership is the Wild West right now.