• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Possible Missouri Valley Conference Expansion

Started by VU2014, May 12, 2017, 10:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuny98

Quote from: wh on February 11, 2022, 03:42:30 PMMSU press conference announcing move to MVC https://goracers.com/news/2022/1/6/general-murray-state-racers-jan-7.aspx First, this put Valpo's announcement press conference to shame. Far more importantly, everything said by MSU leadership exposes Valparaiso University and its past claims of institutional support for men's bb for what it is - completely fraudulant. Pay particular attention starting at the 8-minute mark: - Not only does MSU's bb facility put the ARC to shame, they have an official plan underway to revamp their entire facility. Valpo lied about having a plan to gain entrance in the MVC. Six years later we still have no plan, There's probably not even enough money to conduct a feasibility study, formulate an engineering plan, or even do an artist's rendering. We have no donors, no money, impending staff layoffs, reduction of academic programs, and - the ARC isn't even at the top of the needed facilities list. - They wanted to be fully prepared to put their best foot forward in anticipation of this opportunity. - Note Commissioner Jackson's comment about how institutional commitment to athletics is of primary importance to ALL current MVC members. How embarrassing. - Pay particular attention to their AD's comments and how substantive they are. Not the empty-headed meaningless fluff from past Valpo leadership, carefully framed to not get caught actually committing to something or saying anything that can't be pulled back. THIS is the completely disgraceful, totally unforgivable 800-pound gorilla in the room that is going to kill Valpo men's basketball forever, not some basketball coach who needs to coach better at the end of games, or needs to stop bringing in Big 10 rejects, or whatever the bitch of the day is. Basically, I've had it. I'll continue to support men's basketball - for now - but I'm done supporting Valparaiso University the institution.
I remember a recruiting trip back to Valpo for Football some 20+ years ago where I was shown a picture of what the new Football stadium would look like when the funding was complete and that "I should be playing at that stadium before my senior year..." well 20+ years later and its the same crappy stadium. New field turf was nice sure, but those stands are a disgrace. It was back then and definitely is now (actually worse since the track was added since it was moved even further from the field). Same for the ARC. They have let what was barely acceptable basically untouched until the point where it is embarrassing. And if I hear about Hilltop and the investment that was put in there as an excuse one more time...

valpotx

Quote from: vuny98 on February 14, 2022, 02:03:33 PM
Quote from: wh on February 11, 2022, 03:42:30 PMMSU press conference announcing move to MVC https://goracers.com/news/2022/1/6/general-murray-state-racers-jan-7.aspx First, this put Valpo's announcement press conference to shame. Far more importantly, everything said by MSU leadership exposes Valparaiso University and its past claims of institutional support for men's bb for what it is - completely fraudulant. Pay particular attention starting at the 8-minute mark: - Not only does MSU's bb facility put the ARC to shame, they have an official plan underway to revamp their entire facility. Valpo lied about having a plan to gain entrance in the MVC. Six years later we still have no plan, There's probably not even enough money to conduct a feasibility study, formulate an engineering plan, or even do an artist's rendering. We have no donors, no money, impending staff layoffs, reduction of academic programs, and - the ARC isn't even at the top of the needed facilities list. - They wanted to be fully prepared to put their best foot forward in anticipation of this opportunity. - Note Commissioner Jackson's comment about how institutional commitment to athletics is of primary importance to ALL current MVC members. How embarrassing. - Pay particular attention to their AD's comments and how substantive they are. Not the empty-headed meaningless fluff from past Valpo leadership, carefully framed to not get caught actually committing to something or saying anything that can't be pulled back. THIS is the completely disgraceful, totally unforgivable 800-pound gorilla in the room that is going to kill Valpo men's basketball forever, not some basketball coach who needs to coach better at the end of games, or needs to stop bringing in Big 10 rejects, or whatever the bitch of the day is. Basically, I've had it. I'll continue to support men's basketball - for now - but I'm done supporting Valparaiso University the institution.
I remember a recruiting trip back to Valpo for Football some 20+ years ago where I was shown a picture of what the new Football stadium would look like when the funding was complete and that "I should be playing at that stadium before my senior year..." well 20+ years later and its the same crappy stadium. New field turf was nice sure, but those stands are a disgrace. It was back then and definitely is now (actually worse since the track was added since it was moved even further from the field). Same for the ARC. They have let what was barely acceptable basically untouched until the point where it is embarrassing. And if I hear about Hilltop and the investment that was put in there as an excuse one more time...

We were told the same thing about a new Baseball stadium 22 years ago :).  The idea was that VU was going to partner with a potential minor league team, which never panned out.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu84v2

vuny98 and valpotx: You both make some great points about commitments regarding facilities. Regardless of whether it is athletics or some other part of a university, potential students and athletes should never be sold on new facilities unless the money is in hand and the administration has approved.

valpotx

Of note, Murray State heads into the OVC final, while Belmont gets upset by 2 against Morehead State in the semifinals.
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

I've seen a number of both Murray St and Belmont games this season. Murray St is going to be a problem for the MVC. Belmont I'm not sure is.

oklahomamick

I just realized that Murray St. only has 6 men's sports teams and only 4 of the 6 are sports that are sponsored by the Missouri Valley.  Is Murray St. moving the football team to the Valley?  They also have riffle. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 07, 2022, 10:15:11 AMThey also have riffle. 

Duh, Everybody in the hills of Kentucky has a riffle!   :rotfl:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Murray State and UIC bring solid baseball programs to the MVC.  I do wonder how long DBU sticks with the MVC.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

DBU? I think Belmont will be a decent representative to the MVC, probably better in the short term than UIC.

oklahomamick

What options does DBU have?  Southland? 
CRUSADERS!!!

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 07, 2022, 08:58:54 PMDBU? I think Belmont will be a decent representative to the MVC, probably better in the short term than UIC.
Dallas Baptist is a baseball only member of the MVC

valpotx

Dallas Baptist could have their pick of Baseball conferences, due to the quality of their program.  Maybe they stick it out long-term, but some of the Southern conferences have to approach them each year about a transfer in conferences.
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Yes they probably have their pick of conferences outside of power 5.  But which conference would they want? 

WAC, southland, summit, aSun? 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

The Southland would make sense, but that conference is splitting a bit
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

There is certainly nothing wrong with MVC baseball as far as competitiveness and quality is concerned.

valpotx

Quote from: valpo64 on March 11, 2022, 08:36:45 PM
There is certainly nothing wrong with MVC baseball as far as competitiveness and quality is concerned.

Correct, that is not what I am saying.  I've just always wondered how long DBU can float Baseball in a conference where the closest member is Missouri State. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

I don't see any problem unless DBU has wider athletic ambitions. Are they having financial issues?

valpotx

They don't have a large endowment, and are similar to Valpo in being a smaller private school, which we all know has a higher risk at this point in time.
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusadermoe

Loyola is leaving the MVC as an impressive #10 seed.  They will win us some cash if they can advance.

But now we gain a current #7 seed, Murray State. They might not have Loyola staying power, but it is the type of program that seems to win a game in the NCAA every so often. Go Racers in the Dance!! 

bigmosmithfan_2

I'd expect both Murray and Belmont to be near the top of the conference immediately. UIC may take a few years, but I've heard rumors from a reliable source that they are discussing replacing the Pavilion with a new facility, in which case that would speed their process of moving up the MVC ladder.

valpotx

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 15, 2022, 03:52:25 PM
Loyola is leaving the MVC as an impressive #10 seed.  They will win us some cash if they can advance.

But now we gain a current #7 seed, Murray State. They might not have Loyola staying power, but it is the type of program that seems to win a game in the NCAA every so often. Go Racers in the Dance!! 

You don't know if Murray State will have Loyola staying power?  It is the other way around.  Murray State has more sustained success than Loyola over the last 20+ years, though granted, they haven't gotten as far in the dance previously.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Loyola does have its advantages - decent academics, lots of wealthy Catholic alums, Nice  Chicago neighborhood. It will be interesting how they fare in the A10. Chicago is a bad college basketball town.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 16, 2022, 06:48:36 AM
Loyola does have its advantages - decent academics, lots of wealthy Catholic alums, Nice  Chicago neighborhood. It will be interesting how they fare in the A10. Chicago is a bad college basketball town.

I still don't get why Loyola left the Valley for the A-10.  The A-10 is a whopping one slot higher than the Valley by various measurements but did get two teams  in the tournament.  If the A-10 thinks Loyola will help them get more bids, think again. Loyola is losing a BUNCH of guys who played together for four years. They will not be as good next year.  So then they probably aren't getting more money from the tournament but will incur substantially higher travel cost.

And if they think playing at the ARC was bad, wait till they see Fordham's gym. Capacity 3200. Their final home game against GW drew 1387. Several of their home games drew hundreds of fans.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

And their travel expenses immediately go through the roof.  Brady had to return to the NFL because of the high gas prices.

usc4valpo

But Loyola has a lot more old Chicago wealth available.