• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Softball 2012

Started by boomdad, September 06, 2011, 03:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomdad

Schedule for next season announced

http://www.valpoathletics.com/softball/schedule/

Looks like a pretty tough slate to start off with.

valpotx

I saw Texas on the far right side, then saw it was in El Paso lol.  I would have gone if it wasn't that far out!  It is rare to see a Valpo team down here, so I try to get to them whenever I can.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Definitely a good test of our team to play some of the schools listed, especially the potential match-up with the national champion from last year
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

I didn't realize they played a fall schedule!  October softball!  (Not quite like October baseball?)

Starting off with two home games this weekend - perhaps I'll be able to check them out.

KL31NY

Quote from: new2ff on October 01, 2011, 04:13:36 PM
Anyone been to the Fall games. Saw some scores, but no word.

Have seen a little bit of their action. Bats are looking good, a fair number of bombs. Saw a couple interesting defensive looks as well...

If I remember right, here's our defense left to right in the games I saw:
OUTFIELD: Wisniewski (2nd base last year), Strickland, Freshman (Maybe Lindsey Norway)
INFIELD: Ichiyama (normally middle infield), Doerffler, Marinec, Phalen
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

boomdad

Have made em all so far. I think they will be ok. Some winter work on Individual skills and they will be ready for Feb.

agibson

I watched one game in their "classic" event last weekend.  My first time at the facility - a nice little venue.  I'll have to get used to looking through the fence, but it's fun to be so close to the field.

The competition didn't look too tough (NAIA?  Maybe Purdue Calumet?  They made me wonder if I would have been a defensive upgrade in the outfield.).  So, perhaps that helped Valpo to look good.  I didn't realize they played with a mercy rule!  I hope to be able to watch some more games in the spring.

boomdad

Notre Dame wasnt close 12 innings think we had 4 hits. Wasnt there for last weekend Believe they were 1 and 1. Dont know what Division Lake Land is.

boomdad

A little over a week away from the start of the season in Iowa. Hard to believe its here already.

valpotx

What are the prospects for the softball team this year?  I know that in baseball, we will probably be middle of the pack unless we get great production from the new players.  We lost several starting pitchers, so it will come down to that being replaced.
"Don't mess with Texas"

boomdad

The team has all the pieces in place to take the conference and go to the world in my opinion. Now all they have to do is make the pieces work. With 7 graduating this season its a now or never ( well at least a few more years anyway ) situation for them. 6 days to Iowa I know they have to be getting jittery and pumped!!!!!!!

Tim

new2ff

Agree with Boomdad,this should be the year.
With all 4 pitchers back[best staff in Horizon] & if you count injured players Ichiyama & Marinic returning,they really have as many as 9 starters plus pitchers returning[ legese is good hitter as well].
Toughest game in first tourney will be first game with UNI.

valporun

Just looking at the roster, I hope Coach Stevens is heavily recruiting pitchers from the JUCO level, and hearing from some transfers. I won't mind a freshman or three coming in as pitchers, but we will need one or two hurlers that can start right away with some collegiate experience. I did see that Bolton has Jr. eligibility this year, so that could help next year, if she's returning, but we'll need one or two more pitchers with college experience to help lead the pitching staff to get the needed confidence to go along with the experience and growth they'll want for sophomore seasons.

Also, this is a "do-or-die" season with a very senior dominant roster of players that we know have the confidence to do the fundamental offensive things to score runs and win games. We'll just need the defensive glove work and throwing that get the outs and keep any runners stuck like glue to the bases. Let's Go Valpo Softball!! The most promising season the program has ever(?) had!!

valpotx

Looks like we were picked 4th in the preseason conference ballots.  Time to surprise some people with a solid team returning!
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

QuoteValparaiso, who finished second in the regular season in 2011, brings back eight position players and both of its starters on the rubber for 2012. Head coach Jordan Stevens will turn to catcher Jordan Rutkowski for both leadership and another First Team All-League effort.

After a statement like this I am not sure voting us 4th makes a lot of sense??  I think we get stronger up the middle with Doerffler now as a sophomore. She is third on the Individual Single-Season assist list already as a freshman.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

boomdad

You know how this goes. There are Darlings of any conference and there are those that have to prove themselves. We just need to make a statement on the field. Let the Darling,s ride on their Laurels. I would rather have the girls play with a chip on their shoulder and feel they have something to prove.......... 1 day and a wake up .

valpotx

Nice summary of our returning players on the website.  Really amazing coaching pick-up in Malerich!  Having someone who pitched in the Women's CWS and in international play can only help our team in regards to preparation and composure.  Sounds like we should have a really good year, with A LOT of talent coming back.  I forgot about a few of the red-shirts that were coming back, and who had solid seasons 1-2 years ago.  Our pitching will be the key as with our baseball team, and the experience there at the D-1 level will only benefit us.  This year is our year to make the NCAAs in softball as well, as we will have to replace just about every pitcher next year.  It seems like we have some good young players as well, to keep the winning tradition of the last decade or so going.  When I read that we were playing in TX, I got excited, then I saw it was in El Paso lol.  Though I am in the middle of DFW, that is still 10 hours away! 
"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

I talked with Coach Stevens earlier this week, and after reflecting on his comments and the ones I see here, I feel like this could be the year for the program if all falls into place. With all the experience returning and the stellar senior class that Schneider brought in years ago, this team should be right in the race for either the regular season or tournament title. I'd like not only to see how well Valpo performs but to see if the rest of the Horizon League is shown that the Crusaders are ready to be a consistent club year-in, year-out in the Horizon League. Granted, there will be a lot to replace after this season ends, but I am ready to see where this story goes.

PS: This weekend's tournament is now at Iowa State in Ames, Iowa instead of UNI in Cedar Falls. According to UNI's website "The machine used to put down the turf had a mechanical failure. As a result the turf will be unable to be laid down on the Dome floor for this weekend's softball tournament." The UNI-Dome is used for indoor softball, football, track, and a variety of other events, and the turf for sports can roll up so it is not damaged by other events in the building. So it's back to where it all started last year, I guess.

PPS: Iowa State's website says the tournament will not be open to the public due to construction outside the Bergstrom Indoor Training Facility. I only see live stats up for the UNI game tomorrow right now. At worst, we'd have to wait for SID/MBB color commentator Aaron Leavitt to produce any updates from the other games during his "downtime" :)
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."

boomdad

A pretty good weekend after a slow and cold start on Fri night. Nice Job ladies. A huge win over a Big 12 team.

valpotx

Looks like a few good wins, keep it up!
"Don't mess with Texas"

boomdad

Go 3 and 1 the first weekend. Beat a big 12 team and 2 Valpo players sweep the league honors this week. Nicely done ladies
http://www.valpoathletics.com/softball/

KL31NY

Interview with Jordan Stevens posted on the WVUR-FM website, recorded prior to the tournament last weekend: http://www.valpo.edu/student/wvur/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1522&Itemid=1

Not too give too much away, but Jordan's pretty confident about this year and this team as he should be. Especially after seeing how things went on the Iowa trip, it'll be nice to see how well Valpo can keep itself rolling along...

valporun

The softball team played their two games in today's Frost Classic action. They defeated East Tennessee St. 4-2, in 8 innings, in the first game. The game this afternoon was a 7-0 shutout loss to the host, Tennessee-Chattanooga.

In Game 1, Jordan Rutkowski went 3-for-4 with 2 rbis. No one else had more than 1 hit. Sara Strickland and Lindsey Norway each crossed the plate twice. Sam McGee pitched 8 innings, giving up 7 hits and 2 runs, both earned. She also struck out 6, walked 1, and gave up a home run.

In Game 2, Strickland had 2 of our 4 hits in the shutout. The pitching really struggled. Alex LaGesse struggled in 1/3rd of an inning as the starter. She allowed 4 hits, 3 runs, all earned, with 1 strikeout. She gave up a double and a home run for two of those four hits. Shaleigh Jansen came in for the final 5 and 2/3rds giving up 6 hits, 4 runs, all earned, walked 2, and struckout 5. She also gave up a double and a home run as part of the 6 hits she gave up.

I'm not sure if it's just finding the right lineup at this time, or not really getting to practice outside, but a split today was good. I just hope that the hitting kinks work out to get more base hits, and be more aggressive at the plate. I do wish there had been video for these games because live stats just don't do the game justice.

The ladies return to action tomorrow with a 12:15 game against Tennessee-Martin, and a 2:30 game against Niagra. Good luck ladies! Get the bats warmed up, and be aggressive tomorrow! We're at 4-2 right now. This is a good sign of things to come.

FWalum

Ladies are now 7-2 with Saturday wins over UT-Martin and Niagara, following up on Sunday with a win over Belmont. What a great weekend!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

They appear to be firing on all cylinders already.  This is all without one of our top hitters at her peak, Sara Strickland.
"Don't mess with Texas"