• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Softball 2012

Started by boomdad, September 06, 2011, 03:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuweathernerd

Quote from: vusupporter on May 19, 2012, 11:37:03 AM
Each of the 16 regionals are 4-team, double-elimination brackets.  The last team standing in each regional moves on to the supers, which consist of 8 best 2-of-3 series.

awesome - thanks!

okinawatyphoon

can the ladies mount a comeback? 4 runs in the 5th!
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

okinawatyphoon

great run by the ladies, shame it had to be by a single run again. great tv coverage and a great season!
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

vu72

I for one have really enjoyed the women's sports this year and now am a full dues paying member of the Volleyball and Softball teams fan club.  What a great effort yesterday and today, on national tv.  Hope this encourages other fine players to consider Valpo.  Much to be very proud of during this year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

setshot

Didn't they lose? Bummer! We haven't gotten by the first round in an NCAA tournament since '98. Correct? D3,here we come. >:(

Valpo89

Quote from: setshot on May 19, 2012, 08:11:30 PM
Didn't they lose? Bummer! We haven't gotten by the first round in an NCAA tournament since '98. Correct? D3,here we come. >:(
Sorry JJ. I don't think ESPN televises DIII softball.

valpotx

Great season ladies, much to be proud of  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

It's my family's first year at Valpo and we have been following all of the championship teams this year.  The softball team was great to follow and can seriously play.  We all sat and waited until after the LOU game to go out to dinner.  Even the grandparents were into it and rooting on the Valpo softball girls who they had never seen until then.  Thanks also for being fans of the baseball team.  Hopefully we can follow the example you all set and win the HL tourney.  Great year! 
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

bbtds

To be honest this is probably for most of us only the second or third year that we have truly followed the softball & baseball programs. There are some at Valpo, I know, that have been following it for 35+ years on a regular basis but for most on this board it's really new. It has been a blast though. 

KL31NY

Been too busy graduating to comment, but there's something I have to share that is really cool (long post coming, you've been warned):

I was on my way out of Ulmer Stadium along w/ SID Aaron Leavitt, Coach Stevens and three seniors who were off to participate in a post-game press conference, and Beth Mowins and Jessica Mendoza of ESPN were coming back into the stadium after a hospitality break. Beth and Jessica made a beeline over to the girls and asked to shake their hands and complement them and the team on how well they battled during the Regional. Beth also took time to tell them to be very proud of what they have done for the program and to look back fondly on this experience when future Valpo teams make it this far or even further. Pretty impressive perspective from her as a national commentator that generally focuses on the BCS schools more.

Here's my perspective on it, featuring quotes from my preseason interviews w/ Coach these last two years:

2011: We want to host the tournament, we want to win the tournament, we want to move on to regionals, and the goal for the program is to be consistently in that place
2012: We really have an opportunity to make a mark in some places, and put our name on the softball map

Given the team's performance and the interaction w/ Beth and Jessica, mission accomplished. We did a lot w/ this year, now we have to maintain that through the next seasons
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpotx

I think this success will continue for a few years.  I have to think that Coach Stevens told recruits (or they were already aware) about our games being on ESPN, and we showed REALLY well on TV.  Outside of the top teams in the nation, it is up in the air what schools top recruits will go to.  We have just as much chance as getting a really good player as some of the larger schools in the midwest in softball.  It seems that in women's sports, the 3 and 4 star recruits focus more on the overall college/educational experience, than the men in the larger interest sports (football, basketball, baseball), since the after college possibility of athletics is not as lucrative. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

78crusader

My wife and I watched most of both of the games, and we felt that the ESPN announcers were kinda rooting for VU.  BTW, I think Beth Mowins is an excellent announcer.  Doesn't she announce Big 10 football games?

Paul

ps any info on recruits for next year?

vu84v2

I had not followed the women's softball this year, but had seen the note about the team winning the conference tournament and going to the NCAAs.  I ended up watching the game on Friday and the end of the game on Saturday.  Despite not winning either of the very tight games, it was great to see the team play hard and with a lot of class.  They represented the university and themselves extremely well. 

The previous note about the announcers "pulling" for VU was interesting, but I think that the effort and persistence of the VU womens' team earned their respect.

In a broader context, I think that the overall athletic department should be commended for raising the level of many of the "non-basketball" programs and getting them to be competitive at the Horizon League (and to some extent national) levels.  This is not an easy task when the school has an enrollment of ~4000 and does not have the same level of funding as larger schools.  As alums, we're always very proud to see Valpo teams make it to the higher levels while retaining their class and representing the university well.

valporun

I had work Friday night for the Louisville game, but Saturday night I watched the game at my brother's while watching my nephew. My mom was there, and she not being a huge sports fan, even was caught up in the action. She said something that really I didn't believe, but it proved true..."Maybe getting that double play will get them in gear to get some runs?" Sure enough, she was right, and I scoffed at her for it before the comeback started. Luckily, I can go back and watch the Louisville game on ESPN3, but it was an awesome season for the women's softball team. I went to many games for the team when they were at Kirchoff Park prior to the softball field being built in 2003-2004, then went to some games there. To see the growth of this program over these 12 years has been awesome, and I can't wait to see what recruits Coach Stevens brings in over the coming years. I still talk with some of the softball players I knew in my college days, and we've all been very impressed with the quality and substance of Valpo softball.

bbtds

I think the throwing error by Ichiyama-Drewry that just slipped out her hand, it happens, got the game going in the wrong direction and they couldn't overcome it. Just a bit more confidence and experience for the underclass(wo)men should go a long way for next year. Hopefully they can replace a lot of the talent. 

VULB#62

Great tribute to these women on the VU Athletic site.  A must read for all.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/softball/news/2011-12/11825/crusader-softball-enjoys-historic-2012-season/

vu72

I think that making the NCAAs has alreadfy paid off.  Read about the latest additions!  VERY impressive!

http://www.valpoathletics.com/softball/news/2011-12/11853/crusaders-announce-three-more-additions-for-2013-season/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Very smart to bring in a junior pitcher after losing three senior pitchers.  It will allow for our FR pitcher(s) to get acclimated to the game, without being counted on as the go-to person right away
"Don't mess with Texas"