• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Softball 2012

Started by boomdad, September 06, 2011, 03:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuweathernerd

congrats ladies! now go finish strong and kick some ass in the conference tourney to get into the ncaas!

agibson

Has anybody seen details for the conference tourney?

The brackets up at
http://s3.amazonaws.com/hln/sports/brackets/12/bracket.pdf?1336341098

with Valpo getting a single bye, and their first game tomorrow at 11 AM against the winner of Youngstown St. and Butler.

But, what about ticket details?  Softball's usually general admission, $5, sold at the gate, with "Faculty/staff/students are free with Valpo ID. Children 10 and under are free. "

But, will that change with the League running the show?  Or at least pocketing the gate?

valporun

I looked at the Horizon League website, and they don't have anything more than a quick overview of the teams playing and the schedule, but no real championship site like we see for the other sports. I didn't see anything at the Valpo Softball site or on the main page either. Seems strange to me that this kind of information isn't available in advance of the tournament. I suppose you could call Cindy Eaton for these details?

boomdad

I was told by the dd this morning that a gate pass is 25 dollars for the weekend. No more free rides for dad.

valpotx

A price worth paying to possibly see our ladies clinch their first NCAA appearance in softball though  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

boomdad

I told her 25 dollars had to be worth at least 3 HR balls. If not she owes me. Suddenly we got bad reception and she she hung up............... coincidence? I somehow doubt it lol

vu72

So it's Butler tomorrow at 11.  I see where the second games tomorrow will start at 7:30 which means they must have brought in lights.  The field doesn't have permanent lighting does it?  Wonder how it looks lit up!

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on May 09, 2012, 04:35:51 PM
So it's Butler tomorrow at 11.  I see where the second games tomorrow will start at 7:30 which means they must have brought in lights.  The field doesn't have permanent lighting does it?  Wonder how it looks lit up!

Yes, there are a lot of impressive-looking temporary lights set up. The field will look terrific under lights.

KL31NY

Quote from: valpopal on May 09, 2012, 04:45:06 PM

Yes, there are a lot of impressive-looking temporary lights set up. The field will look terrific under lights.

It has looked terrific already. They used the lights the last two nights for impromptu team practices to test any blinding spots from the lights (and yes, I mean "blinding" and not "blind"). It was a beautiful sight. With a little fog and some dew on the grass, it looks as glorious as the Field of Dreams.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

VULB#62

Quote from: KL31NY on May 09, 2012, 05:08:36 PM
Quote from: valpopal on May 09, 2012, 04:45:06 PM

It has looked terrific already. They used the lights the last two nights for impromptu team practices to test any blinding spots from the lights (and yes, I mean "blinding" and not "blind"). It was a beautiful sight. With a little fog and some dew on the grass, it looks as glorious as the Field of Dreams.

So it's settled.  New lights by next season!

agibson

Quote from: boomdad on May 09, 2012, 12:21:39 PM
I told her 25 dollars had to be worth at least 3 HR balls. If not she owes me. Suddenly we got bad reception and she she hung up............... coincidence? I somehow doubt it lol

I wonder if that's all that's on offer?

I was thinking of taking the kids for a game, or dropping in for a few innings here and there myself.  But, if it's $25 a person, that may not happen...

valporun

It sounds to me like the $25 is a full tourney pass, not a one-day or single game pass, but an entire tourney pass.

boomdad

Quote from: agibson on May 09, 2012, 11:58:35 PM
Quote from: boomdad on May 09, 2012, 12:21:39 PM

I wonder if that's all that's on offer?

I was thinking of taking the kids for a game, or dropping in for a few innings here and there myself.  But, if it's $25 a person, that may not happen...

Four games in all are scheduled for Thursday at the Valparaiso University Softball Field.  Fans can purchase an all-day pass for $8, with senior citizens and youths 5-18 only $5.  Youths under the age of five, as well as Horizon League students (with student ID), will be admitted free of charge.  If you are unable to make it to the park, live stats for every game will be available through www.horizonleague.com.

vu72

You can also watch it live on the Horizon League Network.  Watched a little of the first game yesterday.  Very good camera work with two views one must be from center field as you see the batter from the pitcher's view. Can't wait to beat Butler--AGAIN!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: boomdad on May 10, 2012, 05:04:08 AM
Four games in all are scheduled for Thursday at the Valparaiso University Softball Field.  Fans can purchase an all-day pass for $8, with senior citizens and youths 5-18 only $5.  Youths under the age of five, as well as Horizon League students (with student ID), will be admitted free of charge.  If you are unable to make it to the park, live stats for every game will be available through www.horizonleague.com.

Thanks.  They do now have this up at
http://www.valpoathletics.com/softball/news/2011-12/11791/crusaders-to-face-butler-thursday-morning/
too.

I'll definitely try to make it out sometime this week.

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on May 10, 2012, 08:19:31 AM
You can also watch it live on the Horizon League Network.  Watched a little of the first game yesterday.  Very good camera work with two views one must be from center field as you see the batter from the pitcher's view. Can't wait to beat Butler--AGAIN!!

No video currently?  There's a link but "Off Air"?  From GameTracker I saw Butler hit a single, from a full count, bases loaded, two outs, top of 2nd.  Now 1-0.

Now they've taken the video link down.  Still up for this afternoon's games.

setshot

Losing 4-1 in the sixth inning. Looks like VU's post season jinx is upon us.  :'(

bbtds

Can't get the video either but gametracker says 6-1 Butler in the bottom of the 6th. Need a comeback like the lady crusaders did againgst YSU.

bbtds

Quote from: setshot on May 10, 2012, 12:41:26 PM
Losing 4-1 in the sixth inning. Looks like VU's post season jinx is upon us.  :'(

What do we have to do to have you be positive for Dear Old Valpo instead of poking at the open wound? :snore:

bbtds

Wisniewski nails Huey out at the plate. Valpo keeps Butler from scoring. Maybe this will ignite Valpo for 5 runs in bottom of 7th. Go VALPO!!!

bbtds

Unfortunately Valpo goes down 1-2-3 in the bottom of the 7th. Crusaders lose 6-1. Now they take on UIC at 6:30 p.m. CDT. Gotta win them all now.

agibson

UIC coming off a similar upset loss to Green Bay yesterday.  Play or go home!

I hope I have a chance to see them play in the post-season.  Can't make the 6:30 PM game, unfortunately.  I'll try the video.

If they keep winning it's 11 AM Friday, 4 PM Friday, Saturday noon, Saturday 2 PM (if necessary).

setshot

The flames will burn up the Valpo FOLDERS. Wait till next year. BOOK IT! >:(

agibson

Let's see if the 6:30 PM video feed is any more cooperative...

setshot

COME ON VALPO! UP BY TWO. DESPITE MY PREDICTION i'LL STILL TAKE A WIN. GO VALPO1 :thumbsup: