• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Softball 2012

Started by boomdad, September 06, 2011, 03:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpo1b

Quote from: valpotx on May 15, 2012, 03:27:51 AMYou never see the mercy rule in NCAA baseball.  We beat several teams by much more than 10, and just use it to give playing time to those that don't otherwise see much game action.

Incorrect. The mercy rule is decided on before the game. For years, Chicago State would use the mercy rule because they had 12 on their roster. Other times the mercy rule was used on spring trips because of the number of games scheduled per day on each field. Never is strong word that should only rarely be used.

And, bbtds, I appreciate your passion, but there is huge talent disparity in women's softball. It has nothing to do with the gender of the athlete. When a game is on TV (necessary to promote and grow the sport) a 10 run game drives viewers away. And at the regional level, 10 run games (or worse) are entirely possible. Again, if the teams don't like it, do something about it. Regionals aren't about "everyone gets playing time."

Apparently some are afraid that Valpo will get mercied or the discussion would have never come up. I, for one, think they stand a very reasonable chance of pulling some upsets. Louisville should have been beaten by ND in the Big East championship game. The mercy rule's application should be a moot discussion.

agibson

Quote from: Valpo1b on May 15, 2012, 09:04:49 AMApparently some are afraid that Valpo will get mercied or the discussion would have never come up. I, for one, think they stand a very reasonable chance of pulling some upsets. Louisville should have been beaten by ND in the Big East championship game. The mercy rule's application should be a moot discussion.

I'm not worried about Valpo's situation per se.  I'm basically responding from my rec softball experience.  In our particular, idiosyncratic, league in Geneva, CH we had a per _inning_ mercy rule.  Maybe it was a seven run cap per inning?  I _know_ we played games where a team hit the per inning cap (scored seven in an inning) and went on to lose the game.

So, at the rec level such big swings, back and forth, are possible.  It at least suggests a downside to mercy rules.

valpotx

Right, it is decided upon before the game, but can you name a game where it was implemented since I played starting in 2000?  I wouldn't have any reference point from before 2000, and it sounds like you are speaking about in the 80's or early 90's against CSU/spring trips.  We never utilized it against CSU during my time there, and based on the scores/innings played of CSU since that time, I assume that they haven't since (a few 20 run losses that went the full 7 or 9). 

Even in games where a D-1 school is playing D-3 or NAIA, since the D-1 team utilizes bench players for most of the games, it is not often (if ever, since I am not allowed to use the word never now) that the 10 run rule would actually be applied.  This is how I can say that you 'never' see the mercy rule in NCAA baseball, as I am talking about the actual application of the rule in a game, probably happening in 0.1% of games.  Teams want their players to get game action, and if it gets out of hand, just put in subs to finish the game. 

Instead of taking every statement made by someone on this board 100% literally, think of the context.  I will make sure to never use the word never again, instead substituting 'extremely/highly unlikely.'  Will that suffice?
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on May 15, 2012, 09:46:59 AM
Quote from: Valpo1b on May 15, 2012, 09:04:49 AMApparently some are afraid that Valpo will get mercied or the discussion would have never come up. I, for one, think they stand a very reasonable chance of pulling some upsets. Louisville should have been beaten by ND in the Big East championship game. The mercy rule's application should be a moot discussion.

I'm not worried about Valpo's situation per se.  I'm basically responding from my rec softball experience.  In our particular, idiosyncratic, league in Geneva, CH we had a per _inning_ mercy rule.  Maybe it was a seven run cap per inning?  I _know_ we played games where a team hit the per inning cap (scored seven in an inning) and went on to lose the game.

So, at the rec level such big swings, back and forth, are possible.  It at least suggests a downside to mercy rules.

Seems like a bad rule. It seems to take away the purpose of the game.

valporun

valpotx, wouldn't it have been true that the run rule wasn't utilized against Chicago St. because for part of your playing years, they were a Mid Con opponent and the conference may have had a rule against it for the purposes of any tiebreakers for the standings or positioning for the conference tourney?

bbtds

I also agree that I don't believe Valpo will get "mercied" but think of the team that would have comeback and got "mercied" and what that takes away from their school and athletic department especially in the NCAA Tournament. Give the decision to the two competing head coaches at the beginning of the game as in college baseball. That does seem to make some sense.

valpotx

It's possible, but I do remember either Oakland or YSU having a tie one year due to either weather or daylight, and you wouldn't think they would have a tie in baseball.  I believe that year that was a controversial decision, as it impacted the seeding for the tournament (last game of season).  We received the negative part of that impact, while both of those teams were impacted positively. 

We beat other teams by 10+ as well outside of conference, and did not implement the mercy rule. 

Back to softball, I believe our team will compete well against the competition, so there won't be a need for any mercy rule talk.  We have competed well against Michigan and Purdue in recent years, as well as Arizona State I believe?

Found this regarding NCAA/NAIA baseball:

In NCAA and NAIA college baseball, the game will end if a team is ahead by at least 10 runs after seven innings in a scheduled 9-inning game. Most NCAA conferences only apply the rule on the final day of a series for travel reasons or during conference tournaments in order to allow the next game to start. The rule is not allowed for the NCAA Division I tournament, where all games must be nine innings.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

And i'm pretty sure she is Tommy Kurth's girlfriend!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

boomdad

Saturday Game Times at Louisville Amended

(Di Geng)
Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Saturday's game times at the Louisville Regional of the 2012 NCAA Tournament have been changed due to television programming.  The three games on Saturday are now scheduled for 2 p.m., 4:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. CDT, and all three will be broadcast live on ESPN.

vu72

Our game is the last one, at 6 central and it is on ESPN2 and ESPN3. (according to the espn tv schedule)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vusupporter

Saturday is the second day of the double-elimination regional.  The game you're referring to is our first on Friday night.

valpo04

Valpo takes the lead in the bottom of the 5th with a 2 run single off Louisville's closer!

If anyone else is watching and wants to chat, feel free to use the chat room!

valpo04

vuweathernerd

tough break. lagesse gives up a 2 out, walk-off 3-run homer in the bottom of the 7th to win the game for louisville. ouch, rough way to lose that one. final 6-4 cardinals. (and not the good ones, who are playing the dodgers tonight)

Valpo2010

Valpo89

Now that was a heart breaker.

vu72

Heartbreaking to say the least.  A great effort and wouldn't surprise me at all if we win tomorrow.  A special team that could cement their place in Valpo history with a win or two.  Let's hope so...

FWalum

For any of you softball aficionados out there, would the additional run that was mistakenly called out earlier in the game have made a difference in any of the strategy down the stretch?  Would we have done anything different with a two run lead that we should have had?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

It's hard to say whether that would have affected anything, as you never know what would have happened at 3-2 that early on.  The whole dynamic would have changed.  I definitely do not like umpires due to my baseball days, but that would have been a hard call to make for anyone.

It was sad to watch the live stats on my phone when the HR was hit.  I had left my house to go watch a movie right before the 6th started, and was quietly cheering each out in the theater.  When we let two on, I was nervous in the 7th, got the two outs = elation, then watching that little ball on the screen go over the fence made my heart break for the ladies.  The lefty hitter has a ton of pop in her bat, she caused us problems all day.  We have a tough group of gals, and they will hopefully rebound to beat Kentucky, and then the loser of the KY/Louisville game.  I didn't think we would be as close as we were against UL, and would love to say it was a moral victory, but we were the better team on the day and should have won.

Hold your heads up high team, and get at least one victory!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I called my father from the Bluetooth in my car to get his play-by-play of the 6th inning lol.  My gf kept rolling her eyes at my love for all Valpo sports, but then again, she saw it when I took her to the Butler conf tourney game.  The 7th was all live stats on the phone, hard to watch.
"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

Wouldn't have changed any strategy at all. I don't believe Stevens would have pushed any buttons offensively more than normal (run for Duncan once in scoring position, occasional bunt w/ 1st, 2nd occupied like what did occur). Certainly never had an impact defensively/pitching. They were going to stick with the starters to pull through in a tight game like that, 4-3 or 5-3
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

FWalum

Was just wondering if they might have elected to load the bases if they had a 2 run lead rather than face the gal who had given them the most trouble all night.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

KL31NY

Well, in reference to that, I'm still not sure anything would have changed. Can't recall any intentional or "unintentional intentional" walks given by us over the year. Plus, Wolny was doing well, but so was Fowler who was on deck. Both entered the inning 2-for-3 and both are solid hitters w/ power.

One or two run lead, I'd rather pitch to Wolny and try to get her out w/ runners only at 1st and 2nd. With a walk, that puts two runs in scoring position that can score on almost any single into the grass. I like the leeway from going after the hitter given the runners' situation and natural confidence in Alex to close out.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

vuweathernerd

got a question for somebody who pays more attention than me - how does the progression work. do they take just the winners from the regionals to play on next weekend in the supers? or is there a chance that the ladies could still advance to next weekend?

vusupporter

Each of the 16 regionals are 4-team, double-elimination brackets.  The last team standing in each regional moves on to the supers, which consist of 8 best 2-of-3 series.