• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2017 Fall Football Camp

Started by VULB#62, July 31, 2017, 08:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 17, 2017, 07:28:24 PM
Campbell had a pretty good resume going into this season. Season ending Injury?

If it was a season ending injury, would that be grounds for removal from the roster on the website, or just removal from available player roster the coaches hold on to?

valpofb16

VU2624

Quote from: valporun on August 17, 2017, 09:04:47 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on August 17, 2017, 07:28:24 PMCampbell had a pretty good resume going into this season. Season ending Injury?
If it was a season ending injury, would that be grounds for removal from the roster on the website, or just removal from available player roster the coaches hold on to?

Typically if a player is out for the season prior to the start of the season, he is not listed on the roster. For instance, Nunes played in one game last year and was listed all season long although he was out for the season. There was another player who was injured in camp, was out for the season and wasn't listed on the roster even though he stayed with the team the entire season in another role.

In terms of losing the player, this would appear to nearly guarantee at least one freshman being within the two deep in terms of the CB position and likely a few more freshman being on the game roster and playing in nickel situations. Idode played a lot as a freshman but, in general, playing freshman DBs isn't going to be good.

VU2624

Non freshman DBs right now are Nunes, LeAndre, Isaac Lane, Riley, Booker, JDM.

Riley is a CB but I think the rest have played Safety for Valpo. I'm not sure if any could slide over. I'd think that JDM could but then you'd weaken a position he's shown that he can be effective at. Nunes, if anything, should be moving up a level and not back so he's locked in as, likely, the SS. Lane's been bounced back and forth between O and D so I'm not sure the confidence is there with the coaches.

I guess the rose colored glasses outlook may be best here in this "creates opportunity for someone else".

Two LBers and two DBs who would likely have started and/or played significant time isn't good. Anyone know if Tristan is ready to go?

IndyValpo

Today's drops:
#52 Cullen Bauer-Trotter RSFR. (TRAN)
#22 Kevin Geulce FR.   

VU2624

Quote from: IndyValpo on August 18, 2017, 06:46:10 PM
Today's drops:
#52 Cullen Bauer-Trotter RSFR. (TRAN)
#22 Kevin Geulce FR.

That's a DL and DB if your scoring.

Tomorrow is the final scrimmage of camp. Classes start next week so there's move in day and the typical pre classes couple of days of activities so game prep probably begins Wed or Thursday with the team whittled down to game day and scout rosters. We may yet not be at the end of those not wishing to continue because they aren't playing. First game is a flight game which means about 10 less players travel. The last few years the money game has been a bus game so the travel squad was larger. This does lead to the odd freshman playing in this game and then not taking another snap the rest of the season. That happened with a couple of players last season.

VULB#62

Scrimmage today.  Hope someone on the board is there to check out who is playing where:

QBs - Seewald or Duncan getting the reps and who looks the best?
RBs - Who looks to be "the man" in the backfield?
WRs - How does Norberg look at WR?
TEs - How does Clarke look in his new role and is Mason Sutter really 6-7, 240?

DL - Tristan playing or held out?
LBs - Who replaces Kye Hall?
Secondary (especially the secondary) - who are these guys?

Finally, are there any freshmen breakthroughs?

usc4valpo

So on a flight to Montana, how many players do they usually take?

VU2624

Quote from: usc4valpo on August 20, 2017, 12:17:39 PMSo on a flight to Montana, how many players do they usually take?

It is a specific number and it's in the low 50's for flights and low 60's for bus trips. 53 is the number that sticks in my head for flights but it may be one or two more or less.

Brings one question to my mind in do they have Ryan Clarke take a few snaps at QB in practice so he can function as a 3rd QB if needed. Right now he's a 3rd TE/LS. 

VULB#62

Well, any word?????

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 19, 2017, 09:05:36 AM
Scrimmage today.  Hope someone on the board is there to check out who is playing where:

QBs - Seewald or Duncan getting the reps and who looks the best?
RBs - Who looks to be "the man" in the backfield?
WRs - How does Norberg look at WR?
TEs - How does Clarke look in his new role and is Mason Sutter really 6-7, 240?

DL - Tristan playing or held out?
LBs - Who replaces Kye Hall?
Secondary (especially the secondary) - who are these guys?

Finally, are there any freshmen breakthroughs?

VULB#62

Just wondering....  :coffeetime:

Is it just me or does anyone else wonder about the lack of football-related news coming out of the VU Football office -- primarily their Twitter account?   [@valpoufootball ]

I looked at all of the other PFL teams' Twitter feeds and saw tons of football related updates on a weekly, if not daily, basis.  On the weekend of the VU scrimmage, there were tons of pictures of move-in day, yet only one post about the upcoming scrimmage without any information. And then nothing since. Leading up to the scrimmage, I noticed only two actual Fall camp football updates in over two weeks.  Other posts were vanilla type posts with no substantive information.  In past years, there were coaches interviews and positional updates and a lot more to sink my teeth into.

The Football Facebook feed does have about 25 photos dated 8/19 but without any commentary.  No videos.  No results.

Hard to get psyched about going out to Montana without having some stuff to get excited about.

VUOR63

I'd have to concur with you, VULB #62.  Weren't they all over twitter during recruiting season posting the new commits?  The silence is deafening...

vu72

The lack of communication could lead one to think there might be some chaos in camp.  Some key guys are gone or perhaps some of the new guys are better than thought.  I suspect once the dust settles the lines will be open again heading into the season.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofb16

Media day today, won't be there but I've always thought they should have media day before camp. Major schools do this, it might lower attrition if guys get to be in team picture, see individual jerseys, and have an easier day off then grinding through camp and fitting it in on the first day of classes.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 21, 2017, 08:34:45 AMJust wondering....  :coffeetime: Is it just me or does anyone else wonder about the lack of football-related news coming out of the VU Football office -- primarily their Twitter account?   [@valpoufootball ] I looked at all of the other PFL teams' Twitter feeds and saw tons of football related updates on a weekly, if not daily, basis.  On the weekend of the VU scrimmage, there were tons of pictures of move-in day, yet only one post about the upcoming scrimmage without any information. And then nothing since. Leading up to the scrimmage, I noticed only two actual Fall camp football updates in over two weeks.  Other posts were vanilla type posts with no substantive information.  In past years, there were coaches interviews and positional updates and a lot more to sink my teeth into. The Football Facebook feed does have about 25 photos dated 8/19 but without any commentary.  No videos.  No results. Hard to get psyched about going out to Montana without having some stuff to get excited about.

To your point regarding PFL teams being more forthcoming, I invite anyone interested in how other teams handle information during camp to view the Stetson Football twitter timeline. Nearly daily updates and articles after each scrimmage. My own view is this is how it should be handled. Certainly puts the program out there. I think Brandon Vickrey (Football SID) is a member of this board as well as MLB. Maybe they have some input on the lack of ongoing updates from the football program.

You're right about the silence when it comes to Valpo. What you're referring to in terms of interviews typically comes on or just after media day which is today.  We may even see something posted later today maybe by Brandon. We'll get about 8 minutes of vague detail. Coach rarely gives you anything much in the way of injury update and the questions asked never approach issues going on behind the scenes which I've known about but were never publically acknowledged. For instance, if Seewald is not throwing at this point, we may not hear that. We'll see.

In terms of Saturday, a number of vet players were held out apparently so many of your questions can't be answered anyway. I'm a little concerned that, with at least 3 series of camp pictures, #1 is shown not in pads in all of them.

VU2624

Quote from: valpofb16 on August 21, 2017, 02:05:08 PMMedia day today, won't be there but I've always thought they should have media day before camp. Major schools do this, it might lower attrition if guys get to be in team picture, see individual jerseys, and have an easier day off then grinding through camp and fitting it in on the first day of classes.

I think classes begin tomorrow.

vu72

Jason Miran posted a picture on the 16th of #1 in pads. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2624

Quote from: vu72 on August 21, 2017, 03:18:13 PMJason Miran posted a picture on the 16th of #1 in pads.

Rene is not in pads in that picture. He's in a shell without pads and shorts. The rest of the WRs are in full pads.

VU2624

Can't say we get any real info other than the offense has a lot of players back, defense has not as many players back and we don't like that we're picked 10th.

https://twitter.com/BrandonVickrey/status/899630920768081921

valpofb16

Disagree Cechinni stated that one or two (likely two) freshman will play at db, 1 at linebacker, and 1 at dline

My bet is
Scargle
Skarecky
Olojo
Jones

valpofb16

Also new brown uniforms from media day, looking spiffy

VU2624

Quote from: valpofb16 on August 21, 2017, 04:03:06 PMDisagree Cechinni stated that one or two (likely two) freshman will play at db, 1 at linebacker, and 1 at dline My bet is Scargle Skarecky Olojo Jones

What you provided was information even in guess form. What Dave provided were generalities. It probably wasn't the right forum to get much more specific but it's also not outside the very general information usually provided by Dave. The questions I think need to be answered have been posted quite eloquently by VULB and I don't think the answers to those questions are outside of what I'd expect the public to be privy to.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 19, 2017, 09:05:36 AMis Mason Sutter really 6-7, 240?

Unless the roster has a couple of other TEs who are 6'7" it appears to be a misprint although he may be 240. This is based on media day pics.

valpofb16

Jimmys dad died over the weekend. He is still on team

VU2624

Quote from: valpofb16 on August 21, 2017, 04:55:53 PMJimmys dad died over the weekend. He is still on team

Wow. Sorry to hear that.