• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2011-12 enrollment numbers

Started by setshot, September 07, 2011, 03:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Living in Brandt my FR year, it seemed a lot of people in that building were from areas far outside the midwest.  I had people on my floor from my state, Louisiana, NY, MD, FL, etc, not many IN/IL/MI/WI/MN.  The main reason they left is that they got homesick.  This could be a problem if we are going to concentrate on areas outside of the midwest to grow our enrollment.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on October 05, 2011, 01:49:22 AM
Living in Brandt my FR year, it seemed a lot of people in that building were from areas far outside the midwest.  I had people on my floor from my state, Louisiana, NY, MD, FL, etc, not many IN/IL/MI/WI/MN.  The main reason they left is that they got homesick.  This could be a problem if we are going to concentrate on areas outside of the midwest to grow our enrollment.

You've hit on the isssue.  The midwest population is shrinking and the south is growing.  If we are to maintain/grow our student numbers, over time, we simply have to reachout further than we do now.  Sure we have students from most if not all states and from over 50 countries, but the majority (36% from Indiana alone) still come from the midwest.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Living in Brandt my FR year, it seemed a lot of people in that building were from areas far outside the midwest.  I had people on my floor from my state, Louisiana, NY, MD, FL, etc, not many IN/IL/MI/WI/MN.  The main reason they left is that they got homesick.  This could be a problem if we are going to concentrate on areas outside of the midwest to grow our enrollment.

When I was a student, this was especially true in Brandt, because Brandt was one of the only dorms that stayed open during university closures (Christmas? Thanksgiving?).  So, if you weren't able to go home, it's the dorm you wanted to be in.

As far as I've heard, one of the main recruiting pushes to increase enrollment _will_ be the core Great Lakes (or Midwest?) region: maybe even more specifically Indiana, Illinois, and maybe one or two others (Michigan?).  If anything, I was a little disappointed to hear it - finding possibly more appeal in a national student body.  But, it may be a sound strategy.  Another significant push, indeed, will be international students.  For example, I hear a little about a potentially large cooperative project with an Indian institution - I've not heard much detail.

About 50 countries being represented in the student body, is that accurate?  I thought I just recently saw some numbers that put it at 17.  I guess, maybe, that could have been just the freshman class.  But, 50 would be quite a lot!  Since we have significant populations from a few individual countries like China.

vu72

Quote from: agibson on October 05, 2011, 10:36:15 AM

When I was a student, this was especially true in Brandt, because Brandt was one of the only dorms that stayed open during university closures (Christmas? Thanksgiving?).  So, if you weren't able to go home, it's the dorm you wanted to be in.

As far as I've heard, one of the main recruiting pushes to increase enrollment _will_ be the core Great Lakes (or Midwest?) region: maybe even more specifically Indiana, Illinois, and maybe one or two others (Michigan?).  If anything, I was a little disappointed to hear it - finding possibly more appeal in a national student body.  But, it may be a sound strategy.  Another significant push, indeed, will be international students.  For example, I hear a little about a potentially large cooperative project with an Indian institution - I've not heard much detail.

About 50 countries being represented in the student body, is that accurate?  I thought I just recently saw some numbers that put it at 17.  I guess, maybe, that could have been just the freshman class.  But, 50 would be quite a lot!  Since we have significant populations from a few individual countries like China.

The seventeen number is from last year's freshman class.  Overall it is 50 plus.
This is from the Valpo site:

About Valpo
Valparaiso University continues a legacy of quality education that extends throughout a proud history of more than 150 years. And at Valpo, a student's personal journey extends beyond classrooms and books.

A focus on learning through service and emphasis on broadening experiences help Valpo students develop into thoughtful leaders who work to make the world a better place.

Valparaiso University enrolls about 4,000 students from most states and more than 50 countries, constituting an international, interconnected community. Valpo offers five colleges for undergraduates — the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Engineering, College of Business Administration, College of Nursing, and Christ College (honors college) — as well as graduate studies and a law school.

Valparaiso University is an independent Lutheran institution that provides an encouraging environment for spiritual exploration by all.

The modern Harre Union (opened in 2009) and Christopher Center for Library and Information Resources (2004), and the historic Chapel of the Resurrection form the heart of campus.

Our athletics teams compete at the Division I level. Valpo's proudest sports moment is advancing to the Sweet 16 in the 1998 men's basketball NCAA tournament.

We're located in Valparaiso, Indiana, a city of 31,000 people, in Northwest Indiana just an hour east of Chicago.

There's much more to Valpo than can be described here. Explore the website, and to truly get to know us, plan a visit to campus soon.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

okinawatyphoon

Believe me, there is a national push for students, but they are going to start out in the 5 state Midwest region plus Minnesota mostly. I would bet that our Midwest representation goes down in the next decade or so, which I think is a positive thing. One of the biggest obstacles to recruiting south of here is you guessed it: winter.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

vuweathernerd

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on October 05, 2011, 06:04:46 PM
Believe me, there is a national push for students, but they are going to start out in the 5 state Midwest region plus Minnesota mostly. I would bet that our Midwest representation goes down in the next decade or so, which I think is a positive thing. One of the biggest obstacles to recruiting south of here is you guessed it: winter.

cold/snow sucks  ;)

valpotx

I actually enjoyed the respite from 100+ degree heat and playing snow football  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

So they want to keep enrollment centered on the Horizon League states and Minnesota, before expanding out further? I like the idea, although you have some kids from the Dakotas and other places that will still come to Valpo because family went here, or they want to expand their horizons away from what they know.

valpotx

Based on the meeting in Dallas, Pres. Heckler stated that yes, the core would still be Midwest, but the university will have to gain a much larger foothold in the Southern states, as well as international students to sustain our goal of 6,000 students.  As mentioned by another poster, Midwestern populations are unfortunately shrinking, while the South is exploding, so it only makes sense that we would have to reach out more.
"Don't mess with Texas"

okinawatyphoon

The admission website has been completely revamped, and I think the numbers are updated. http://www.valpo.edu/admission

They don't present as many figures as they have before (maybe they just aren't ready yet), but the SAT/ACT scores stayed about the same, but the average GPA of the incoming students went from a 3.52 to a 3.63, a marked increase. Hopefully more numbers will be released soon.

agibson

The registrar's stat page at
http://www.valpo.edu/registrar/statistics.php
isn't yet updated.

But, that looks like a somewhat longer, bureaucratic process.  It seems like some standardized report they submit to some body, etc.  I'm sure it's in the works.

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on October 06, 2011, 09:38:23 AM
Based on the meeting in Dallas, Pres. Heckler stated that yes, the core would still be Midwest, but the university will have to gain a much larger foothold in the Southern states, as well as international students to sustain our goal of 6,000 students.  As mentioned by another poster, Midwestern populations are unfortunately shrinking, while the South is exploding, so it only makes sense that we would have to reach out more.

I will be curious to see what Valpo does in the next years with Hispanic students - certainly a powerful demographic trend in the US.  And, perhaps, especially in the South.

valpotx

Yes, I forgot that he also mentioned they would need to concentrate on the Hispanic population in full to obtain their goals.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: agibson on October 01, 2011, 12:15:34 PM
Quote from: valpopal on September 30, 2011, 03:08:23 PM
Perhaps final numbers will be available after October 10, which is the deadline for withdrawing from the university and still receiving partial refund.

I believe that they're done taking data, but are still processing it.  Who knows - I didn't get into all the details.

The final figures are now in. The enrollment this semester is surprisingly less than expected and somewhat lower than last year. I have seen the exact numbers, but I don't feel at liberty to reveal them until they are announced publicly. My take: obviously, due to the economy, this is a tough environment for drawing students to an expensive university like Valpo.

agibson

Interesting.  This is at odds with the reports based on preliminary figures.  I'll be curious to see the numbers.

wh

Quote from: valpotx on October 06, 2011, 09:38:23 AM
I hate to pour cold water on the whole enrollment increase initiative, but increasing enrollment by 50% is possibly the most unrealistic goal I've ever hear of.  Quantum leaps like this simply do not occur anywhere in the business world (and VU is a business) short of blowing up the current business model and basically starting over.  Indiana Wesleyan did it several years ago by getting into accelerated degree programs and establishing satellite facilities across the state.   Now their accelerated enrollment is much higher than their on campus enrollment and they have a constant revenue stream.  Accelerated programs remain very popular, but everyone and their brother are now into that market.   Other than something like that, I don't see any possibility of making any significant enrollment gains in today's economy, which is expected to remain in a downturn for several years.

vu72

I think there are plans to open satellite facilities in Chicago and possibly overseas as well.  Don't have a clear idea where the projected increases are going to come from but they are clearly not just undergrad.  Expect to see new graduate programs and a growth in the law school.

okinawatyphoon

I would wait for the admission numbers. I have received conflicting information so we'll just have to wait I think. As far as the increases in students, they are banking on a large increase in international students as well as traditional undergrad. Is it unrealistic? Maybe now, with the (again) weakness in the economy.

mj

QuoteI think there are plans to open satellite facilities in Chicago and possibly overseas as well.  Don't have a clear idea where the projected increases are going to come from but they are clearly not just undergrad.  Expect to see new graduate programs and a growth in the law school.

Unfortunately that's the kind of growth that I don't want to see. Opening up satellite campuses is the kind of thing that cheapens a Valpo degree.

The law school is 4th tier as is. Expanding enrollment there means that you're allowing more kids in with lower LSAT scores and graduating more kids with huge amounts of debt and no job prospects.

The only way I see Valpo really increasing their enrollment numbers is to really jack up the number of foreign students.
I believe that we will win.

setshot

MJ: I agree with you relative to the the VU Law School rep.,or lack thereof. US News listings of law schools does not include Valpo among its top 143 schools. Hell, we are unrated and yet it costs appx. $35K,not including R& B,to attend VU Law. Not a good investment.Overall,IMO, our pathetic athletic program must turn off some prospective students. Hell, we have the worst football team in the country (#246) and we are dead last in the McCafferty trophy standings and no better than #4 in Reg. U. academic rankings. So,why choose Valpo?

vu72

Quote from: setshot on October 12, 2011, 06:36:50 PM
MJ: I agree with you relative to the the VU Law School rep.,or lack thereof. US News listings of law schools does not include Valpo among its top 143 schools. Hell, we are unrated and yet it costs appx. $35K,not including R& B,to attend VU Law. Not a good investment.Overall,IMO, our pathetic athletic program must turn off some prospective students. Hell, we have the worst football team in the country (#246) and we are dead last in the McCafferty trophy standings and no better than #4 in Reg. U. academic rankings. So,why choose Valpo?

A more logical question might be: with your low opinion as to the Valpo experience and value, why do you choose to post here??

wh

Quote from: setshot on October 12, 2011, 06:36:50 PM

My son just graduated from VU Law School in May.  I have no idea how law school rankings are determined, and frankly I don't care.  He has a great job with a great future.  His employer is paying the debt he accumulated, so what more can one ask than that?  He is a proud VU alum, and I am proud of him.

valpotx

My girlfriend is an Attorney down here and thinks highly of a VU law degree despite that report.  She has met a few VU law people that do well for themselves, even though she went to school in Houston.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Perhaps there is one source that ranked the law school "fourth tier" but there are other rankings.  Here's one that has us in the top 100.  Notice that the "second tier", of which we are one, is listed in alphabetical order.  Thus, we could be at the very top of that list, who knows.

http://www.lawschool100.com/
I think much of the rankings have to do with location.  Being in a small town in the mid-west may make it difficult to be recruited by a top firm in LA for example.  Still, I know three lawyers here in Minneapolis that are Valpo Law grads.  All work at the best and biggest firms and are "super lawyers".  I saw another ranking done by "super lawyers" as to where they went to school.  Valpo ranked 151 in this ranking.  Again, with many law grads working at small firms in small towns it becomes impossible to be ranked in this category.

Let's take a look at the faculty.  Surely top school grads wouldn't want to teach at Valpo would they?  And if they did, could their teaching be any good? You decide.

Half of the forty full time faculty received the JD's from a law school ranked in the top 25, including 2 from the University of Chicago, 3 from Yale, 3 from NYU, 2 from Harvard, 1 from Columbia, 1 from Virginia and 1 from UCLA, 1 from Cornell, and 3 from Wisconsin and many other fine schools.

Sure looks like a "fourth Tier" faculty to me!!

78crusader

I graduated from Drake Law School here in Des Moines in 1981.  Drake, like VU, does not fare particularly well in these rankings.  Yet Drake has, in many Iowa circles, as good a reputation as the University of Iowa.  I think these law school rankings are pretty silly.  Not once -- repeat, not once -- in 30 years of law practice have any lawyers that I know ever mentioned law school rankings.  No one cares. 

VU has, from what I've heard, a good law school.  It is well respected in the profession. 

Let's not get all discouraged on what may be disappointing admission numbers for this year.  There are plenty of other things going on at VU for which we can be most thankful. 

Paul