• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2011-12 enrollment numbers

Started by setshot, September 07, 2011, 03:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

I can believe that many practicing attorneys don't put much stock in law school rankings.  Surely, you personal experience with a particular attorney's far more relevant.  Perhaps your past experience with several grads from a particular university is also more relevant.

But, I can also believe that many "top" firms, looking for the "best of the best", _do_ put some stock in these rankings.  Of course, the world's much bigger than the so-called "top".

From informal discussion with a buddy who's a dean at a top-20 law school, the law schools themselves (at least the ones who want to think of themselves as near the "top", or aspiring to be) _do_ care a lot about the rankings.  And work hard to engineer their way to the top.  (And, lawyer's are pretty good at gaming systems...)

Heck, everyone loves to talk about how numerical rankings, whether they be US News, or SAT/ACT/LSAT scores, etc. are shallow, biased, not very informative, etc, etc.  But, most everyone is happy to trumpet when they come out on top.  And, we've had plenty of discussions on this board about Valpo's position in the US News regional university rankings, and many others.  These things are far from the end-all and be-all.  But, people do give them weight.

setshot

I have heard that the final enrollment number are several hundred less than expected. Can anyone verify this information?

wh

Quote from: setshot on October 21, 2011, 03:12:48 PM
I have heard that the final enrollment number are several hundred less than expected. Can anyone verify this information?

I certainly hope you are wrong.  Even 100 students could mean a budget shortfall of $5 Million.  "Several" hundred would be a financial disaster of monumental proportions.

valpopal

Quote from: wh on October 21, 2011, 06:19:40 PM

I certainly hope you are wrong.  Even 100 students could mean a budget shortfall of $5 Million.  "Several" hundred would be a financial disaster of monumental proportions.

There are different numbers for varying measurements. Comparing this year's enrollment to last year's real enrollment, the numbers were down significantly, close to WH's number: comparing the student population to the total dream enrollment that was targeted and desired by admissions last spring for a larger student body this year, the estimate of the shortfall from that imagined figure begins to approach but doesn't reach Setshot's number.

agibson

I've still not seen any hard numbers.

valpopal

Quote from: agibson on October 22, 2011, 02:19:28 PM
I've still not seen any hard numbers.

The comments I made above are based upon the hard numbers, which I have seen and which were quite disappointing, especially considering the optimistic preliminary projections I'd heard during the summer.

Though I believe external conditions, particularly a very poor economy, are mostly responsible, perhaps the following announcement of a recent hiring of a Vice President for Enrollment Management, who began his job last Monday, is a good step forward and will help move admissions in the right direction again. However, I am not sure the extent of influence he will have over this year's recruitment of students since the process is already at the stage of sending out early acceptances, many of which have been mailed.

The announcement:

"Michael Joseph, an experienced higher education administrator and enrollment strategist, has been appointed to join Valparaiso University's senior leadership team as vice president for enrollment management beginning October 17. As the chief enrollment officer, Michael will lead the development and oversee the execution of the University's comprehensive enrollment management plan. Joseph will work closely with the University's senior leadership team to provide the vision, strategy and operational processes and direction necessary to deliver the University's growth objectives. The University's Strategic Plan calls for Valpo to grow to 6,000 students by 2015 from the current 4,100."

vu72

From what I've heard Brad Bradshaw, who held this position most recently, and came to us from St. Louis University, decided to return to St. Louis for family reasons.

Mr. Joseph comes with a very high academic reputation as he was the Senior Vice President (number 2 person) at University of Detroit and previously served as interim President of UD.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

I've had some vague unease about the new VP hire, out of concern that they've recruited someone to try to implement an existing plan.  In general terms, I don't know much of anything about him individually.  But, they found someone who's on-board (or who feels constrained to be on-board, perhaps) with a very ambitious plan to increase enrollment.  And, in principle, we're in year two of that five-year plan.

We'll see.  I don't want to rain too much on ambitious, even exciting, proposals.

vu72

Didn't know where to put this so I'm posting it here!  Here are the stats from this year's law school class.  Very interesting and impressive group.  Valpo's law school must have something good to offer!  :o

http://www.valpo.edu/law/admissions/enteringclass-profile.php
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: agibson on October 24, 2011, 10:46:32 AM
I've had some vague unease about the new VP hire, out of concern that they've recruited someone to try to implement an existing plan.  In general terms, I don't know much of anything about him individually.  But, they found someone who's on-board (or who feels constrained to be on-board, perhaps) with a very ambitious plan to increase enrollment.  And, in principle, we're in year two of that five-year plan.
We'll see.  I don't want to rain too much on ambitious, even exciting, proposals.

PNC's enrollment increased by 14% from 2010 to 2011, an all-time record. 

http://www.valpolife.com/index.php/community/education/13607

This is a good example of inverse proportionality.  The economy falls off the cliff and PNC becomes an economic substitute for more expensive college options, as well as a popular option for non-traditional students doing something productive while waiting for the job market to improve. 

PNC is to the college experience as Ponderosa is to the dining experience - decent food, lots of variety, reasonable price.  Valpo, on the other hand, is a Ruth's Chris - an excellent quality, fine dining experience at a top dollar price.  Restaurants like Ruth's Chris thrive when the economy is strong.  Ruth's closed the day at $4.94/share, compared to their 52-week high of $7.10. In today's market and economy, the last thing Ruth's would roll out is a 5-year plan to increase the number of Ruth's Chris Restaurants by 50%.

I just shake my head at the lack of business sense shown by university administrators.  Universities should be run by bright, savy business CEO's, not former educators. 

vu72

Quote from: wh on October 27, 2011, 09:50:26 PM
Quote from: agibson on October 24, 2011, 10:46:32 AM

PNC's enrollment increased by 14% from 2010 to 2011, an all-time record. 

http://www.valpolife.com/index.php/community/education/13607

This is a good example of inverse proportionality.  The economy falls off the cliff and PNC becomes an economic substitute for more expensive college options, as well as a popular option for non-traditional students doing something productive while waiting for the job market to improve. 

PNC is to the college experience as Ponderosa is to the dining experience - decent food, lots of variety, reasonable price.  Valpo, on the other hand, is a Ruth's Chris - an excellent quality, fine dining experience at a top dollar price.  Restaurants like Ruth's Chris thrive when the economy is strong.  Ruth's closed the day at $4.94/share, compared to their 52-week high of $7.10. In today's market and economy, the last thing Ruth's would roll out is a 5-year plan to increase the number of Ruth's Chris Restaurants by 50%.

I just shake my head at the lack of business sense shown by university administrators.  Universities should be run by bright, savy business CEO's, not former educators. 
I think there may be a misconception as to what expansion will entail. Basicly, what President Heckler is saying is that there are many areas of study that could add students without diluting the student to faculty ratio in any meaningful way. Second, Valpo could add a bunch of students without any need to expand dorms etc.  If all the rooms were filled, there would be an entire dorm empty at this point. I think the effort is in expanded recruiting and publicity at this point, rather than investing millions in the hope more students will show up.

valpopal

As you can see from this video, the population of international students exists as one of the areas where enrollment will grow. The video also gives a great profile of the VU campus and region:

International student life at Valparaiso University

wh

Quote from: valpopal on November 01, 2011, 11:40:24 AM
As you can see from this video, the population of international students exists as one of the areas where enrollment will grow. The video also gives a great profile of the VU campus and region:

International student life at Valparaiso University

More cultural diversity will bring with it more students of religions other than Christianity.  Is Valpo ready for this:

The complaint, filed with the D.C. Office of Human Rights, alleges that Catholic University discriminates against Muslims by not allowing them to form a group devoted to Muslim worship. The university has a policy of not allowing official status to non-Catholic worship groups.

It appears from the VU website that the only student religious organizations are Christian-based (after all it is a Christian school).  Given time, there will be "in your face" demands for religious equality made by agenda-laden zealots working behind the scenes on behalf of "tolerance" and "understanding" and "acceptance" and all the PC buzzwords that they themselves never practice.  Just my opinion.       

agibson

There are, if memory serves, Muslim and Busdhist groups meeting on campus.  As well as a variety of Christian groups from various sects.  I forget the current name, but something like a Muslim student association has long been active on campus and is, presumably, "official".

So, no, I don't think we'll have any problems like Catholic University.

valpotx

As long as we aren't made to change our mascot just because we are the 'Crusaders,' there is no issue with having other groups on campus.  While it is a private Lutheran university, it is only fair that other religions can have their own groups to meet, as long as it doesn't change the mission of the school.  I couldn't get over the calls to change our nickname when I was in school, as it is simply for athletic purposes, we are not condoning the Crusades!
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusader1897

I know this is my first post, so take it as you will, but I am a current student with connections that I don't feel comfortable with disclosing. From the data I got, undergraduate admission decreased from last year to this year. Not sure on overall admission.

Hopefully the University will release the actual numbers soon.

valporun

With the economy being what it is, and many students not willing to take on so much debt to attend college, when the job prospects aren't jumping out there for college grads, having a decrease in admission wouldn't be a complete and total shock at a school like Valpo. Some of the searching college students are paying attention to cost, scholarships, grants, awards that they can get before they look at loan offers from schools, but not all of these can continue to help as frequently as before. If admission numbers are down, they are down, and until the economy picks up again, we'll just have to realize that students do want to attend Valpo, but the tuition and fees may not match what kind of available funding they have.

crusader1897

It's official: enrollment decreased from last year to this year in both total students, undergrad students, and grad students.

2827 undergraduates, 1137 graduate students, 3964 total for the 2011-12 year

2872 undergraduates, 1184 graduate students, 4056 total for the 2010-11 year

For some reason it's not letting me post external links, but the 2011-12 numbers are up on the link posted earlier in the thread.

Thoughts? I know you guys talked about the consequences of this potentially happening, but now that it's a reality, where does the University go from here? Is it realistic to drastically increase enrollment?

vu72

A little surprising.  They have recently hired a new VP of enrollment Management so hopefully that will help.  As to growth, nothing will be drastic but rather gradual.  There is the room for the addeds students and it just makes sense economically to maximize capacity.

valpopal

Quote from: crusader1897 on December 08, 2011, 02:52:21 AM
It's official: enrollment decreased from last year to this year in both total students, undergrad students, and grad students.

2827 undergraduates, 1137 graduate students, 3964 total for the 2011-12 year

2872 undergraduates, 1184 graduate students, 4056 total for the 2010-11 year

For some reason it's not letting me post external links, but the 2011-12 numbers are up on the link posted earlier in the thread.

Thoughts? I know you guys talked about the consequences of this potentially happening, but now that it's a reality, where does the University go from here? Is it realistic to drastically increase enrollment?

These reflect the numbers I was given back in October when I said "there are different numbers for varying measurements." As I posted then, the actual decrease was close to 100, though the shortfall from expectations of an increase was a couple of hundred. However, I am told early indications are to expect a bit of a rebound in the upcoming year, though again expectations must be matched by actual numbers.

valporun

crusader1897, the forum admins made it so that new posters can't put in external links until they've posted five times, so as to counteract spammers, but thanks for the numbers. To be honest, the decrease isn't as drastic in terms of enrollment population as it is to money coming in to pay faculty, staff, and the other bills. Hopefully this economy will get back on the straight and narrow, and student loans programs won't be as risky/complicated for those that hold off from going to schools like Valpo that can challenge the areas of their intelligence that public high schools didn't touch, because they don't want the loan payments later.

valpopal

Here is a piece in today's Campus Chronicle:

New Vice President of Enrollment Management Michael Joseph is expecting great growth in the future for Valparaiso University. With a strong tradition and structure in place, there is a unified belief across campus that the goals set are achievable, he said.
"Valpo is a place primed for the kind of growth that it's identified in its strategic plan," Joseph said. "We need to see that growth realized this coming fall and then use that as a platform to continue to grow."

The goal set forth in the Strategic Plan is to increase enrollment from 4,000 to 6,000 in five years.  This goal is only achievable if everyone on campus is involved in the recruitment process, because students want to go to a place where they're wanted, Joseph said. He said that along with an intimate setting, beautiful campus, and great mix of programs, there is still a desire for students to have a personal touch when they are deciding on where to attend college. Professors providing opportunities to sit in on classes, contacting students and answering questions are positive influences on prospective students and their parents.

"We are receiving record numbers of high-quality inquires and applicants," Joseph said. "Now it's a matter of making sure that we are more deliberate about the effort it takes to actually enroll a student as well as retaining those students at a higher level."
Retention begins with who the University is recruiting, how those students are recruited, and who enrolls at Valpo. Focusing on retention after freshman and sophomore year is also important to maintaining the right mix in enrollment.

In this economy, affordability is a top priority for many potential students, Joseph said. Alumni-funded scholarships are crucial to keeping Valpo affordable and the top choice on a student's list.

"For a place like Valpo, alumni networks are important," Joseph said. "The number of legacies and alumni connections is the largest I've seen anywhere I've been, and that speaks well for our history and tradition. It's different in many ways from when our alumni attended, but the core values have not changed."

Joseph wants to see the international enrollment rates grow along with the overall enrollment rates. With alumni networks spreading the message of Valpo across the world, this goal is achievable, he said.

okinawatyphoon

Thanks for the above info, valpopal. It is a bit disappointing that the numbers are down, but not unexpected. I believe we are outperforming our peer schools, IE Butler and others. At least the academic quality of students continues to increase.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

valpotx

I really hope that we are able to obtain the 6k mark in 5 years, but not sure how possible that is.  The extra students would definitely benefit the university as a whole in $$
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

I hope that we can hit the 6k student mark in 5 years as well.  The quality of incoming students needs to stay the same or increase.  The quality of education will also need to stay the same.  Increasing the faculty with quality and experienced professors will be a challenge.  Also, an increase of nearly 50% in students will put pressure on the infrastructure: housing, parking, food, classrooms (both size and quantity), support staff, the overall Valpo community, etc.  I'm sure they are thinking of these things, just not sure what the plan is going to entail.