• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Enrollment numbers

Started by 78crusader, September 08, 2017, 11:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on September 21, 2021, 10:33:56 AM
A little tidbit from Fort Wayne. A billboard advertising Valpo has gone up on I69 mile marker 311 recently. I will get a picture in the near future. That is the second billboard I have now seen on I69, one around Angola and now Fort Wayne.

Indy too but only 2 or 3.

wh

A Valpo radio commercial plays daily on both morning shows on ESPN 1000 in Chicago. It is narrated by sports radio host David Kaplan. It talks about being part of something bigger than yourself, and growing intellectually, spiritually, and socially. It's very well done, IMO. I've heard it off and on for probably several weeks.

valpo64

VU has run radio commercials on Chicago radio for several years now.  Especially over the past 6 months or so they have had them on 670 "The Fan" which is the big talk radio sports  radio channel in the Chicago and mid-west market

bb33

They were also advertising at the White Sox game.    I also heard there was a push to have tailgating at the football games (is the campus still dry? -- I am all for following ND and having it dry except on football Saturdays). Trying to get the student experiences.  An engaged student body will help attract more students.

crusader05

They will be selling beer at both football games and basketball games this year from what I understand.

FWalum

Quote from: crusader05 on September 25, 2021, 04:26:02 PM
They will be selling beer at both football games and basketball games this year from what I understand.
Who has been hiding that little known fact?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

I thought I saw one fairly close to Muncie when I was there recently but I might have been mistaken. It was pretty close to I69 too if I remember correctly. if my mind isn't playing tricks on me it's really good to see Valpo recruiting areas further away from NWI harder. It will help us in the future!

crusader05

There was a valpo sign behind home plate at the White Sox game not that long ago.

As far as the alcohol at games. Paul Oren tweeted a sign announcing that the ARC was applying for an alcohol license and I've heard from some on campus that the plan is to start after Homecoming(which I think does it's own beer garden thing).

Just Sayin

Quote from: crusader05 on September 30, 2021, 09:15:23 PM
There was a valpo sign behind home plate at the White Sox game not that long ago.

As far as the alcohol at games. Paul Oren tweeted a sign announcing that the ARC was applying for an alcohol license and I've heard from some on campus that the plan is to start after Homecoming(which I think does it's own beer garden thing).

Alcohol sales at athletic events make a splash, defy traditional dry campus
http://www.valpotorch.com/news/article_4531a40a-2275-11ec-bd6f-67ade2f8ef97.html

crusadermoe

More importantly than the alcohol concessions and to re-direct to this thread, the same Torch newspaper features an an admissions article. The article that cites a fall 2021 enrollment of "just over 600" freshmen" and 130 transfer students. The article suggests a retention problem too, so that points to a current trend line of under 2700 students if this year's entering class numbers continue. 

Notably, the new admissions guy says that 800 freshmen by fall 2023 is the level needed to create a more sound university.  That is a tall order but perhaps he has the skills to lead us there.  So what deficit does that predict for 2021-2022 and for 2022-2023?  Taken together with a huge discount rate to get their students, the challenge is even more daunting. The WSJ had a nasty discount rate for Valpo.

crusader05

One thing I read somewhere was that a big issue is that not only have we had smaller classes but we have also graduated in the last two years two of our largest classes.  I'm also worried about retention due to the pandemic as I have heard that it's been an issue across the country with students coming to college, getting overwhelmed, and leaving pretty quickly.

wh

Profit on beer sales at a 2-hour indoor event in a heavily controlled environment will be minuscule, especially on a weekday. Once they pay for the increase in liability insurance and if they have to provide additional security to insure that no one under 21 partakes and to deal with issues when they do, they may even lose money. That said, potentially it could increase attendance, but I think that's questionable. Maybe it's worth a roll of the dice to see, maybe not. I guess we'll find out.

Football games are where the money is. An hour or 2 for tailgating, followed by a game that drags on for 3 1/2 hours. Bigger venue, more people, lots of students drinking illegally, attendees who don't have to go to work or attend classes the next day, etc.

usc4valpo

I will say indulging in beer makes watching Valpo football more tolerable. It's a good move.

vu84v2

I have no problem with beer being sold at basketball games (and football games), though I agree with the prior comments that this is likely to generate little (if any) margin. However, I encourage whoever is making the decisions regarding beer sales to include a few choices from a local microbrewery. Doing this could help foster some better connections with the town (as well as being a little different from just offering high volume American lagers).

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on October 05, 2021, 09:10:32 PM
I have no problem with beer being sold at basketball games (and football games), though I agree with the prior comments that this is likely to generate little (if any) margin. However, I encourage whoever is making the decisions regarding beer sales to include a few choices from a local microbrewery. Doing this could help foster some better connections with the town (as well as being a little different from just offering high volume American lagers).

Excellent suggestion.

bb33

I heard that a few years ago that someone approached Valpo to redo the baseball field.  They would have paid for the turf and made other improvements (?).  Their only stipulation, besides use of the field, was that beer be sold in the concession stand.  Valpo turned them down.  This is a heresay story, but if it is true, what a poor decision. Baseball is a landmark sport of the MVC and Valpo facilities trail substantially, but are getting closer.  And NOW they are selling beer and wine at football and basketball games?  I completely support the decision, but it sad to think of the opportunity lost.

usc4valpo

valpo64 - "The Score," which has been around since the early 90's

valpo64

valpo tundra

The baseball field got their makeover anyway through the generosity of two former players' families.  In regards to local beer being sold, nothing will happen without the local monopoly, Indiana Beverage, having a hand in it. A case study on unnecessary, archaic state alcohol laws can be found by checking out Indiana's current laws.  Very few industries in the country have such powerful monopolistic structures in place.

usc4valpo

Btw, baseball and beer will always be hand to hand.

crusader05

https://www.valpo.edu/news/2021/10/18/valparaiso-university-names-assistant-vice-president-for-mission-church-and-ministry/

New position that seems to be focused on the Lutheran Identity aspect at Valpo and will most likely be a large part in increasing Lutheran student recruitment

vu72

Quote from: crusader05 on October 19, 2021, 09:30:57 AM
https://www.valpo.edu/news/2021/10/18/valparaiso-university-names-assistant-vice-president-for-mission-church-and-ministry/

New position that seems to be focused on the Lutheran Identity aspect at Valpo and will most likely be a large part in increasing Lutheran student recruitment

I think this is the same position Brian Johnson had previously.  I don't think it is a new position but hopefully it will be more focused on Lutheran enrollment.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: crusader05 on October 19, 2021, 09:30:57 AM

Wartburg College enrollment hits 1,525, highest since 2014
OCTOBER 7, 2020

https://www.wartburg.edu/2020/10/07/wartburg-college-enrollment-hits-1525-highest-since-2014/

We don't know any of the particulars, but the fact that they increased their enrollment to its highest level since 2014 is quite impressive, IMO, especially given the current decline in student population at traditional colleges and universities.

NotBryceDrew