• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Enrollment numbers

Started by 78crusader, September 08, 2017, 11:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

crusadermoe

Wow. The press release uses the term  "Latinx". 

I had the impression that the laugh out loud reaction to the term was even embarrassing to liberals by now who are major proponents.  It's being forced into the lexicon of the country without a lot of success.  How about just saying latinas and latinos?  Or is there a gender I am skipping? 

Now I am seeing the President of my alma mater use it.  One more concession to silliness in the identity olympics.

Pgmado

Quote from: crusadermoe on January 18, 2024, 03:54:28 PM

I had the impression that the laugh out loud reaction to the term was even embarrassing to liberals by now who are major proponents.  It's being forced into the lexicon of the country without a lot of success.  How about just saying latinas and latinos?  Or is there a gender I am skipping? 

Now I am seeing the President of my alma mater use it.  One more concession to silliness in the identity olympics.

I lectured about something today in my Intro to Media course that I feel is apropos to this point. In 1968, Lyndon Johnson appointed the National Commission on the Causes and Prevention of Violence. That commission partially dealt with media and television. What they found was that desensitization was one effect of long-term exposure to mass-media portrayals of violence. That we were so beaten down by the images that we saw on television that we became immune to them. As Aaron Sorkin has written in multiple shows, "wars are being broadcast with a logo and theme music."

Taking the opposite viewpoint of this, we're all so sensitive now. There are large groups that are sensitive to how they are referred to and there are large groups that are sensitive that they have to refer to people differently. I've always kind of shrugged my shoulders at it all. I don't understand why Latinos or Latinas want to be referred to as Latinx, but if that's their preference, fine, it doesn't cost me anything to change a letter. Are we to the point now that people are too sensitive about what they're called AND people are too sensitive about having to call people something else?

Just food for thought. I don't have the answers. I barely know the questions.

VULB#62

Quote from: Pgmado on January 18, 2024, 04:24:07 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on January 18, 2024, 03:54:28 PM

I lectured about something today in my Intro to Media course that I feel is apropos to this point. In 1968, Lyndon Johnson appointed the National Commission on the Causes and Prevention of Violence. That commission partially dealt with media and television. What they found was that desensitization was one effect of long-term exposure to mass-media portrayals of violence. That we were so beaten down by the images that we saw on television that we became immune to them. As Aaron Sorkin has written in multiple shows, "wars are being broadcast with a logo and theme music."

Taking the opposite viewpoint of this, we're all so sensitive now. There are large groups that are sensitive to how they are referred to and there are large groups that are sensitive that they have to refer to people differently. I've always kind of shrugged my shoulders at it all. I don't understand why Latinos or Latinas want to be referred to as Latinx, but if that's their preference, fine, it doesn't cost me anything to change a letter. Are we to the point now that people are too sensitive about what they're called AND people are too sensitive about having to call people something else?

Just food for thought. I don't have the answers. I barely know the questions.

Simple. From Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989):

Just "be excellent to each other."

crusadermoe

Yeah, I get the Pgmado point. but usually higher education leads the way in contriving words and identities.  This quote below comes from a Boston University periodical "BUtoday" that seems a bit more self-aware than most.

If Hispanics Hate the Term "Latinx," Why Is It Still Used?   CAS' Maia Gil'Adí says that polling agencies have given the word an unfair reputation   ---

Now comes the rise of the divisive—but gender-neutral—"Latinx," touted by progressives for its supposed modern hipness, yet somewhat reviled by the people it represents.

valpopal

Quote from: Pgmado on January 18, 2024, 04:24:07 PM
I don't understand why Latinos or Latinas want to be referred to as Latinx, but if that's their preference, fine, it doesn't cost me anything to change a letter. Are we to the point now that people are too sensitive about what they're called AND people are too sensitive about having to call people something else?
I have been in academic forums and meetings where discussion occurred about use of "Latinx" in university messages. I have objected because those group members strongly reject the term themselves. It is not "their preference." ABC News reported as recently as 2023: "Only 23% of U.S. adults who self-identify as Hispanic or Latino had heard of the term Latinx, according to a 2020 Pew Research Center poll. Just 3% use it to identify themselves, the poll found." However, the academics and university administrators in meetings with me, believing they knew better what was good for the group in question, insisted upon "Latinx."

Further from ABC News: "In December 2021, the League of United Latin American Citizens, the oldest Hispanic and Latino civil rights organization in the U.S., and Congressman Ruben Gallego, D-Ariz., stated they would no longer use the term 'Latinx' because it was offensive to some and failed to prove it had a wide acceptance."

"'When Latino politicos use the term it is largely to appease white rich progressives who think that is the term we use,' Gallego tweeted." 

usc4valpo

we need to identify ourselves as cool or a jerk. In government, we see a huge majority of the second.

crusadermoe

Hopefully, the barrage of stupidity in terms of ubiquitous DEI, virtue signaling, and contradictory DEI treatment of Asians and Jews will all implode on higher education soon as it comes home to roost.   The U. of Michigan had over DEI employees last year with 2/3 earning over $100,000.   

The common sense public is catching on fast this year to this idiocy in the manner as the progressive idiocy of self identification of gender. Which hat will I wear today in terms of my restroom choice? Woe to the democrats outside the rich clueless liberal areas.

vu72

Quote from: crusadermoe on January 19, 2024, 11:30:40 AM
Hopefully, the barrage of stupidity in terms of ubiquitous DEI, virtue signaling, and contradictory DEI treatment of Asians and Jews will all implode on higher education soon as it comes home to roost.   The U. of Michigan had over DEI employees last year with 2/3 earning over $100,000.   

The common sense public is catching on fast this year to this idiocy in the manner as the progressive idiocy of self identification of gender. Which hat will I wear today in terms of my restroom choice? Woe to the democrats outside the rich clueless liberal areas.

moe, give it a rest, your right wing agenda is all over your posts.  How about sticking to the subject matter?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

It only became relevant when Valpo sent out a news release with the word, Latinx.  Clearly the hispanic community hates it with 3% in favor by one published source.  So why would Valpo proclaim success using that word?   

But yeah, I can let up on the broader points.

David81

Alas, in academe, it's all too often the noisy, raging extremists on both ends who are dominating these debates and painting with very broad brushes. That includes folks on the far left who are deeply consumed over labels and tags like Latinx and personal pronouns. (Some of them regard me, an old fashioned pro civil rights liberal, as being insufficiently progressive.)

These issues of difference and diversity are really treacherous right now. And, as I tell my students when I teach my Employment Discrimination Law course, it's even more difficult when you're not sure if the term you use to describe a certain group is going to result in a loud, politically correct rebuke, or if someone is going to ridicule you and tag you as woke merely for acknowledging that bias exists. Walking on eggshells is no fun, and a lot of thoughtful people are being dismissed by knee-jerk critics who lack the capacity for nuance and complexity.

As I've said before, VU may have some appeal to applicants who seek to explore that nuance and complexity and to challenge their own points of view, among other things. But as I've also said before, it needs better messaging about itself to attract those kinds of thoughtful students.

vu84v2

David81 - As always, you offer very insightful thoughts.

While I agree with your comments, I will add that I also think that part of this is out of self-interest. Administrators want to advance to more senior roles at their current or other universities and they know that some decision-makers associated with potential advancement are in the group that is excessively consumed with terminology that, in the end, has little or nothing to do with actual success. The same goes for academics looking for greater prestige (via publication or other scholarly achievements). Academics who try to publish work in important areas like student retention, organizational dynamics, or minority leadership can get strong pushback (from editors and reviewers) if the findings or terminology are not exactly consistent with these peoples' worldview (despite the findings probably being different than the worldview of those on the other side of the spectrum). Scholarly research should be about seeking the truth and new understandings, not confirming anyone's specific worldview.

valpopal

Some general updates with good news and reasons for optimism as we move under the 40 days until March 1 mark. Although it is still too early to come to a conclusion about enrollment for fall semester and anything can happen, the current numbers are very encouraging across the board. Despite the fact that the process of application has been delayed for most individuals since changes at the national level made FAFSA availability happen almost three months later this year (which I believe slowed football recruitment a bit), Valpo's overall numbers appear to be ahead of those at this time the past few years.

Additionally, Indiana instituted a new law this year requiring the state's seniors to file FAFSA papers unless waived by parents. The state is aiming for a 25% uptick this year over last year. This will likely result in an increase of Indiana students eligible for the college pool, the population from which VU draws many applicants. Finally, I am told the enrollment for the nursing program is extraordinarily healthy, partially because of the good publicity from the recent announcement of Valparaiso University and the University of Chicago Medicine launching a new training program together. 

vu84v2

Quote from: valpopal on January 22, 2024, 09:32:43 AM
Some general updates with good news and reasons for optimism as we move under the 40 days until March 1 mark. Although it is still too early to come to a conclusion about enrollment for fall semester and anything can happen, the current numbers are very encouraging across the board. Despite the fact that the process of application has been delayed for most individuals since changes at the national level made FAFSA availability happen almost three months later this year (which I believe slowed football recruitment a bit), Valpo's overall numbers appear to be ahead of those at this time the past few years.

Additionally, Indiana instituted a new law this year requiring the state's seniors to file FAFSA papers unless waived by parents. The state is aiming for a 25% uptick this year over last year. This will likely result in an increase of Indiana students eligible for the college pool, the population from which VU draws many applicants. Finally, I am told the enrollment for the nursing program is extraordinarily healthy, partially because of the good publicity from the recent announcement of Valparaiso University and the University of Chicago Medicine launching a new training program together. 

While I am hopeful that you are correct, I will again state that there are three measures that are far more meaningful than any other measures: on-campus visits, acceptances, and deposits. If those measures are up (year-over-year or versus goal), then things look promising. If it is something like applications, that is far less indicative.

valpopal

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 23, 2024, 11:39:17 AM
Quote from: valpopal on January 22, 2024, 09:32:43 AM

While I am hopeful that you are correct, I will again state that there are three measures that are far more meaningful than any other measures: on-campus visits, acceptances, and deposits. If those measures are up (year-over-year or versus goal), then things look promising. If it is something like applications, that is far less indicative.
Yes, you say this every time, and on each occasion I assure you I would not post anything without precise knowledge of all the measures you cite.

vu84v2

Valpopal - You are absolutely correct for pointing out that I have made that comment multiple times. I have just seen too many cases of reporting "the indicators look really good", followed months later with missed goals and expectations.

FWalum

I am happy to announce that VU is hitting Concordia Lutheran High School a lot harder than they have in the past. I will give the majority of the credit to Marin Jacobson, the new Director of the Bach Institute and also the Phyllis and Richard Duesenberg Chair in Lutheran Music. I will let her describe what she is doing here in Fort Wayne:

"I, too, am very excited to bring VU musicians to St. Paul's in March. Last month, I met the music teachers at CLHS (Jennifer Porath and Kathryn Peperkorn) to discuss their students' participation; the advanced choir will be singing with the VU Chorale at St. Paul's on Friday, March 8 at 7:00 PM. The concert will be free and open to the public.

As the planning continues, I am quite excited to bring many Lutherans together for this worshipful event. The musicians will be sharing anthems, leading everyone in singing hymns, and performing a Bach cantata. The theme is: Soli Deo Gloria: a celebration of Lutheran song, and the 'solas' are present through the program. It will be an evening to remember, and our Lord will be lifted high!"

Marin has also been to the Seminary Campus talking to our Kantor and some of the staff. She was a great ambassador and well received by a pretty tough (for the most part a not pro VU) crowd.

She has done more in Fort Wayne in the last 4 months than was done during the entire Heckler Presidency.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

David81

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 21, 2024, 11:17:13 AM
David81 - As always, you offer very insightful thoughts.

While I agree with your comments, I will add that I also think that part of this is out of self-interest. Administrators want to advance to more senior roles at their current or other universities and they know that some decision-makers associated with potential advancement are in the group that is excessively consumed with terminology that, in the end, has little or nothing to do with actual success. The same goes for academics looking for greater prestige (via publication or other scholarly achievements). Academics who try to publish work in important areas like student retention, organizational dynamics, or minority leadership can get strong pushback (from editors and reviewers) if the findings or terminology are not exactly consistent with these peoples' worldview (despite the findings probably being different than the worldview of those on the other side of the spectrum). Scholarly research should be about seeking the truth and new understandings, not confirming anyone's specific worldview.

vu84v2, sorry I'm returning to this thread belatedly, but I'm not sure what you're suggesting is my self-interest here.

If wanting conversations and policy discussions about difference and diversity to return to a saner place, then I guess that's self-interest. My point above went to the difficulty of having these conversations when fear over using the wrong terminology causes folks to not participate. It has nothing to do with scholarship, unless someone's pen is so tongue-twisted over terminology that they cannot even address these issues on paper. Of course, if someone is intentionally using a "wrong" or offensive term just to push buttons, then I'm not feeling bad for them if their article gets rejected because of it.

valpo95

I posted on the planned cuts at Bradley University that were announced in December. Here is another recent look at the financial situation.

https://www.wcbu.org/local-news/2024-02-12/we-had-a-bad-year-how-a-covenant-violation-led-bradley-university-to-make-13-million-in-cuts

There are quite a few parallels with the situation facing Bradley and the situation facing VU (similar in size, student body, endowment, location, etc.) though to my knowledge, VU has not breached its debt covenants.

A few quotes:

"Bradley University will pay a higher interest rate and need to have more money on hand to cover debt after violating the bond covenants on some $17.1 million worth of borrowing last year."

(S&P Ratings Analyst) "Radhakrishnan said Bradley's overall balance sheet remained solid even through fiscal year 2023. The university has a $350 million endowment and more than $700 million in assets. But she said operating performance has been an offsetting factor for the past several years."

S&P Global's 2024 outlook for higher education is bifurcated, or mixed. Selective, higher-rated universities have a positive outlook, while smaller regional schools are expected to continue facing financial and enrollment challenges.

"Bradley in particular falls at sort of that lower end of the rating curve where we are seeing more operating pressures," said Jessica Wood, managing director for education at S&P Global Ratings.

vu84v2

valpo95 - Thank you for posting this.

Not meeting debt covenants is a huge issue and, like you, I have never seen that this has happened at Valpo. Beyond having to pay higher interest rates and the reputation damage, you can also surmise that the debt holder will also demand greater visibility into Bradley's financials and factors that affect their financial performance. Universities (like many other types of private organizations) hate such transparency, but Bradley has no choice (since the debt holder could have called in the $17M immediately).

Another interesting thing from the article is that their CFO is interim and is leaving at the end of the month (and there is no announcement of a new CFO). That definitely signals turmoil.

crusadermoe

Indeed that's serious. 

The article cites a healthy "balance sheet" of assets at Bradley. Valpo has the same situation. Like Bradley, VU's property and endowment fund are valuable. But those assets are not liquid for paying the mortgage. 

A "house poor" homeowner can sell his house. A university can't find anyone to buy its mortgaged buildings.  Bradley may not have as much building debt, but it obviously carries a lot.   

valpo64

In reference to FWalum's earlier comments regarding Valpo recruiting in Fort Wayne, specifically at Concordia Lutheran High , yes it is about time.  However, there is a greater effort needed other than in the music area.  Not only that, but a long-overdue plan is needed for the entire area of Ft. Wayne and the tri-state area.  Music is a very small part of increasing VU's enrollment from the FW area.

Valpo's music program, as good as it is, will not make or break Valpo's declining enrollment in the area.

valpopal

Incompetency in the federal government, specifically the Department of Education, is harming recruiting for the upcoming year, especially by Valparaiso and other tuition-driven private universities. The FAFSA financial aid form, usually available to students by October 1, was postponed until December 31. Then, delay of the release was extended again until sometime in March because of glitches or errors in its content and process. As a result, the university cannot confirm financial aid for students, who are required to complete the federal form first. Therefore, applicants are in a limbo state of confusion and uncertainty about whether or not they will be able to afford a private school education, and it is impossible for many of them to make deposits. Consequently, some prospective students likely will simply play it safe and opt for less expensive state schools. A number of universities are now stretching their decision deadline date from March 1 to May 1 or June 1. Apparently, a couple of private universities have already completely eliminated the commitment deadline. This is not good for enrollment numbers at places like Valparaiso University.

vu72

Not sure where to put this but The University of New Hampshire closed its Art Museum as part of cost cutting measures.

https://www.seacoastonline.com/story/news/2024/01/23/univefrsity-of-new-hampshire-museum-of-art-closes/72313414007/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on February 14, 2024, 10:43:57 AM
Not sure where to put this but The University of New Hampshire closed its Art Museum as part of cost cutting measures.

https://www.seacoastonline.com/story/news/2024/01/23/univefrsity-of-new-hampshire-museum-of-art-closes/72313414007/
This situation seems a bit muddled. The good news is that no artworks will be sold, and they will continue to be exhibited elsewhere on campus. Also, the museum space will not be re-purposed but will remain for art-related activities. It seems the building needed a new HVAC system to satisfy accreditation requirements for safely storing paintings, and construction was about to begin, but the university wanted to avoid that cost. The only change appears to be the museum designation and perhaps a discontinuation of associated expenses, including some staff. Unfortunately, this removes internship opportunities and work-study positions for students, as well. However, I would think displaying valuable artworks outside the centralized security of a museum building would create greater insurance costs and other overhead expenses.