• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Basketball 2017-2018

Started by IndyValpo, October 01, 2017, 03:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

The women's team did not show up for last nights home game against UNI. A sad display basically from the opening whistle.

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on February 27, 2018, 04:34:38 PM
The men's jump up from the Horizon to the Valley is just the opposite for the ladies. The Valley Women's conference rpi is #24 while the Horizon is #11.  Their first place team, Green Bay, is #22 while the Valley's first place team, Drake, is #76 and Valpo?  RPI #295 and a SOS of #342.  :o

Is it too silly to postulate that given our current position in The Valley, we actually have the potential to rebrand Valpo women's basketball with a little better recruiting and a lot better coaching?

valpopal

I was at the women's basketball game to honor the two stellar senior student-athletes, Franklin and Donchetz. The unfortunate scheduling had Valpo playing undefeated (18-0) conference leading Drake on Senior Day, which guaranteed a lopsided loss. However, it was great to see the warmth and pride on the bench and in the crowd toward these two young women, both of whom I have found to be as classy as can be off the court as well!  :clap: :clap:

VULB#62

jack

Thanks to these 2 young ladies for their contributions for 4 years. It can't be easy competing in this program. I wish them all the best. I am curious if anyone here feels this season represents progress, or, like me, were they expecting more after the move to the MVC. Progress, for me, would have included 2 or more unexpected "W"s this season. Looking back, I don't believe that happened. I wish these ladies well come tournament time. 

IndyValpo

Quote from: jack on March 04, 2018, 08:12:38 AM
Thanks to these 2 young ladies for their contributions for 4 years. It can't be easy competing in this program. I wish them all the best. I am curious if anyone here feels this season represents progress, or, like me, were they expecting more after the move to the MVC. Progress, for me, would have included 2 or more unexpected "W"s this season. Looking back, I don't believe that happened. I wish these ladies well come tournament time. 
I think there was progress but it was minimal. I see us beating Loyola to gain the right to be dismantled by Drake again.  This is like the last few seasons, replace UWGB with Drake.

VULB#62

Neither of our BB teams seem to be having much luck going into the MVC tournament.  :(

IndyValpo

Quote from: VU2014 on March 06, 2018, 04:20:49 PM
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/971144117366525952
I will take some abuse for this but, this seems really convenient given she was potentially let go by weeks end. She seemed fine at the last game.

I am, however not a doctor, though I do watch Chicago Med.

vu72

I've seen some doctor shows too.  The conspiracy side of me wonders if this is a way for her to resign "for medical" reasons rather than be fired.  After some time to properly "heal" she might just seek a new position elsewhere without the "stain" of a firing on her record.  In any event I hope it is legit and that she does heal properly and I wish her all the best.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NativeCheesehead

Should worry more about the stain of her record rather than the stain of being fired if that's the plan.

Shame, she's got the whole thing down except for the actual coaching. She's a pretty good recruiter, good ambassador for the university. Players seems to like her. She just flat out cannot coach. She'd actualy be a pretty good assistant.

usc4valpo

This is a very bizarre and sad situation. Perhaps she wants to get healthcare before being relieved.

VULB#62

Too much baseless speculation going on here.  And it's unfair to Coach Dorow.  Let's just wait this one out.

Hopefully the staff and team pull together and perform above expectations.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 07, 2018, 11:54:46 AM
Too much baseless speculation going on here.  And it's unfair to Coach Dorow.  Let's just wait this one out.

Hopefully the staff and team pull together and perform above expectations.
Sure, message boards are for actual news only, I forgot.

VULB#62

talksalot

Thursday, 4pm Central ESPN3  vs. Loyola  (we beat 'em by 10 the last time we played them and by 16 in the ARC earlier in the year)

IndyValpo

Congrats to the women on yesterday's victory.....perhaps today will be the female version of the Lutheran miracle...

vu72

If we keep it under 30 it will be an improvement from the first two meetings.  Good luck!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

A good win last night. I don't think Dorow is getting fired. The staff has recruited well the last few seasons with some nice recruits coming in next season. We had another tough loss with another ACL tear from our starting PG, which was a blow to this team. When I was listening to USH, ML didn't sound to down on the Women's coaches. It's too bad that Franklin is a senior. She's a great player that is surrounded by a lot of pieces that aren't fully developed yet.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VU2014 on March 09, 2018, 10:41:42 AM
A good win last night. I don't think Dorow is getting fired. The staff has recruited well the last few seasons with some nice recruits coming in next season. We had another tough loss with another ACL tear from our starting PG, which was a blow to this team. When I was listening to USH, ML didn't sound to down on the Women's coaches. It's too bad that Franklin is a senior. She's a great player that is surrounded by a lot of pieces that aren't fully developed yet.
There is a huge difference between Loyola and Drake....we trail by 28 at half.

vu72

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 09, 2018, 12:50:23 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 09, 2018, 10:41:42 AM
There is a huge difference between Loyola and Drake....we trail by 28 at half.

Perhaps she won't.  But if not we might be getting to merely average in the future.  The 13 wins this year is her most at Valpo but when you look back at Keith's record, he was let go after winning 10 his last year and she won 10 her first year with his players.

Yes, we have a lot of youth but unfortunately so do teams like Drake, who is killing us with just one senior.  More of the same will produce more of the same.

jack

Let's not forget either that Freeman won those 10 games with anywhere from 5 to 7 healthy players. He never had more then that. I remember a couple of games with only 5 players. They had to recruit people just to have bodies for 5 on 5 practices.

NativeCheesehead

Despite the MVC not being as good as the HL in WBB, mainly due to GB, I think this program has to move on and show our new conference mates and fan base that winning is a priority. Her contract is up, so you don't eat any money, and the cupboard is not bare for the next guy or gal.

It's time.

VU2014

I didn't know her contract was up. Interesting. I wonder what a contract extension would look like in her situation. The team hasn't performed well over her tenure for whatever reason. Does anyone know how much she was getting paid? What is the going rate for a MVC women's basketball coach? If the Athletics Department isn't impressed with her work as a coach it may be time to go their separate ways. I still think she's going to be coming back. If you follow her on twitter she's retweeting the women's basketball twitter account, so I highly doubt she was let go.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VU2014 on March 09, 2018, 01:43:33 PM
I didn't know her contract was up. Interesting. I wonder what a contract extension would look like in here situation. The team hasn't performed well over her tenure for whatever reason. Does anyone know how much she was getting paid? What is the going rate for a MVC women's basketball coach? If the Athletics Department isn't impressed with her work as a coach it may be time to go their separate ways. I still think she's going to be coming back. If you follow her on twitter she's retweeting the women's basketball twitter account, so I highly doubt she was let go.
If she stays the AD is indicating that winning is not a priority for this program.  As a reference Bowling Green fired their coach yesterday after 6 years and a record of 82-89.