• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Basketball 2017-2018

Started by IndyValpo, October 01, 2017, 03:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Maya's shot was #9 on ESPN's SportsCenter Top 10 this morning...

Come on out to the Women's game with MoSt on Sunday afternoon at 3...what else is there to do?

Valpo89

Quote from: talksalot on February 17, 2018, 11:44:16 PM
Maya's shot was #9 on ESPN's SportsCenter Top 10 this morning...

Come on out to the Women's game with MoSt on Sunday afternoon at 3...what else is there to do?
Nap?

talksalot

That's what half-times are for!  (after the Crusaderettes)

talksalot

vu72

I think tonight should have sealed Coach Dorow's fate.  Lost again to a 9-16 Indiana State team by 18, and they called off the dogs.  She just can't coach at this level.  The kids looked like they just weren't interested. I have watched several games and at times we look very good but still can't quite pull it off.  Tonight was never really even close.  Time for a change.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

If that comes to be, do ya think Katie Colignon, former VU WBB assistant and current AD and head girls coach at Marquette HS, would be on the list?  She just won the state Class A championship.

usc4valpo

62, that is a stretch. How about giving  Sheryl Swoopes a second chance and remove the snowflakes?

VULB#62

From Wikipedia:

In 2013, Swoopes became head coach of the Loyola University Chicago women's basketball team. In April 2016, Loyola announced that it was investigating Swoopes of alleged mistreatment, after the school newspaper reported that 10 of the team's players have either transferred or want a release from their scholarships. On July 4, 2016, Loyola announced it had fired Swoopes as a result of the investigation but declined to say what it had found.

In July 2017, Swoopes returned to her alma mater, Texas Tech, hired as the women's basketball program's Director of Player Development, where her job will include resuming work as broadcast color analysis for Lady Raiders games. Following the firing of head coach Candi Whitaker on January 1, 2018, Swoopes was promoted to regular assistant coach under interim head coach Shimmy Gray-Miller.

usc4valpo

Well, there you go. No one really knows what happened to Swoopes at Loyola, but women's basketball there has always been bad. With her accomplishments, it would be interesting to even consider it.

Btw, Loyola has not been any better since she left.

I am just stirring conversation.

IndyValpo

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 24, 2018, 05:09:52 PM
62, that is a stretch. How about giving  Sheryl Swoopes a second chance and remove the snowflakes?
Katie has a second potential championship next year even if they get moved up a class. But no she is not a candidate although she'd be ahead of Swoopes whose chance would be zero.
Austin Parkinson at IUPUI could be a possibility.

usc4valpo

Hey, I am just presenting a conversation, and maybe hinting that some risk would be good. Swooped is one of the greatest women's players of all time - but no one will really know what happened at Loyola. Are we really going to get excited about bringing in a coach from IUPUI?

IndyValpo

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 24, 2018, 07:40:23 PM
Hey, I am just presenting a conversation, and maybe hinting that some risk would be good. Swooped is one of the greatest women's players of all time - but no one will really know what happened at Loyola. Are we really going to get excited about bringing in a coach from IUPUI?
Hey I am just presenting a conversation hinting that someone who has had success would be good. Let's see, Indiana All Star, played at Purdue, took over a program more decimated that what Swoopes did to Loyola....here is his bio. Add a 20-8 record this season. 

http://www.iupuijags.com/coaches.aspx?rc=598&path=wbball

jack

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 24, 2018, 07:10:42 PM
Katie has a second potential championship next year even if they get moved up a class. But no she is not a candidate although she'd be ahead of Swoopes whose chance would be zero.

I believe Katie would be a good investment for this team. I caught a game of hers by chance this past season. She's very collected on the sidelines, manages the clock well, and clearly has her players respect and support. She would also have a great shot at getting the 2 twins that are tearing up the court to follow her here.
Regardless, something must change, period.

IndyValpo

Quote from: jack on February 25, 2018, 11:29:11 AM

I believe Katie would be a good investment for this team. I caught a game of hers by chance this past season. She's very collected on the sidelines, manages the clock well, and clearly has her players respect and support. She would also have a great shot at getting the 2 twins that are tearing up the court to follow her here.
The twins have already verballed with Saint Louis.

usc4valpo

That's a good and respected reply.

valpopal

Honestly, I would be very surprised if at this time Valparaiso hired Parkinson for women's basketball given the current university emphasis on hiring women and minorities, as well as the constant emphasis highlighting pride in women's contributions to MVC sports history we have seen, including in commercials accompanying every game this season.

VULB#62

Thanks for that perspective. Most fans don't always think in those terms and a university has to.

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpopal on February 25, 2018, 01:26:04 PM

Honestly, I would be very surprised if at this time Valparaiso hired Parkinson for women's basketball given the current university emphasis on hiring women and minorities, as well as the constant emphasis highlighting pride in women's contributions to MVC sports history we have seen, including in commercials accompanying every game this season.

Given that I give you Katie Geralds. Miss Basketball, Purdue, WNBA, two time NAIA Champion....

http://www.muknights.com/coach/17/2

valpopal

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 25, 2018, 04:25:14 PM

Given that I give you Katie Geralds. Miss Basketball, Purdue, WNBA, two time NAIA Champion....

Great resume, but first thing would be to get her name correct: Gearlds.  :thumbsup:

VULB#62

Our incumbent coach had a sterling resume at an NCAA D-II institution as well. D-I is a world apart from the NAIAs and D-IIs and D-IIIs. Based on our current experience, it seems logical to expect the next WBB coach to be a great D-I recruiter AND floor coach.

bbtds

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 25, 2018, 04:25:14 PM

A friend of mine from church is a former neighbor of Katie's in Beech Grove. She is a very confident and fierce competitor.

usc4valpo

Before all this talk begins, let's find out Dorow's fate as head coach.

IndyValpo

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 26, 2018, 09:19:11 AM
Before all this talk begins, let's find out Dorow's fate as head coach.
Agreed my bad, I started it.....

jack

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 25, 2018, 12:41:58 PM
Quote from: jack on February 25, 2018, 11:29:11 AM

The twins have already verballed with Saint Louis.

We've seen, as they say, evidence that verbal commitments aren't worth the paper they're written on!  :P

vu72

The men's jump up from the Horizon to the Valley is just the opposite for the ladies. The Valley Women's conference rpi is #24 while the Horizon is #11.  Their first place team, Green Bay, is #22 while the Valley's first place team, Drake, is #76 and Valpo?  RPI #295 and a SOS of #342.  :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015