• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Gordon Hayward taking his talents to...

Started by valpo04, September 09, 2011, 08:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo04

Gordon Hayward Makes His Decision: IGN Pro League

Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward isn't playing professional basketball overseas during the lockout. Instead, he's taking his talents to a galaxy far, far away.

DeseretNews.com reports that Hayward will be playing video games professionally.

The 21-year-old Utah Jazz player has joined a professional video game league with IGN Entertainment. Hayward will compete with other eSports video athletes in a StarCraft II competition from Oct. 6-9 at Caesars Atlantic City in the IGN Pro League. Hayward is excited to be among 256 players shooting for a share of a $100,000 prize pool in IPL 3: Origins.

"I've been playing video games for as long as I can remember," Hayward said in a news release. "I'm a competitive guy, and I love the competitive nature of video games.

"Pro-gamers are really sports stars themselves," he added. "The mental strategy that goes into planning your next move and what your opponent is going to do are skills you need to be successful playing basketball — and playing StarCraft II. If you want to be good, you have to put a lot of time and effort into it, just like with other sports. I've got the best of both worlds."

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/31802184