• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Stay Tuned for More Valpo Basketball....

Started by valpomarketingguy, March 09, 2011, 03:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpomarketingguy

Not ready for the basketball season to end just yet?  Neither are we!  Stay tuned for an announcement over the coming days regarding Valpo's next game.  Also, mark your calendars for a potential home game at the ARC next week!  More information to come...

Go Valpo! 

agibson

Nice!  I love the tease!  The announcement's probably Sunday or Monday... or is it?

And I totally missed the "potential home game" reference - delicious!

valporun

If we get an NIT, CBI, or CIT spot, we'll know Sunday evening into early Monday morning about what will happen.

agibson

Quote from: valporun on March 10, 2011, 11:58:05 AM
If we get an NIT, CBI, or CIT spot, we'll know Sunday evening into early Monday morning about what will happen.

Does the NIT host a selection show?  I have a dim recollection that they usually have their act together (easiest for the established 2nd choice, certainly) and announce their field fairly promptly.

I remember best the inaugural CBI, when it took a good long while for the chips to fall.

valporun

Quote from: agibson on March 11, 2011, 03:21:24 AM

Does the NIT host a selection show?  I have a dim recollection that they usually have their act together (easiest for the established 2nd choice, certainly) and announce their field fairly promptly.

I remember best the inaugural CBI, when it took a good long while for the chips to fall.

The NIT does not host a selection show, but it also would not surprise me if the head of that committee is not sitting in the hub of the selection committee's hotel space finding out which teams he can invite out of those who were on the bubble. Yes, some of his field is already determined by the regular conference champions who don't win their conference tourneys, and don't get an at-large NCAA bid (Pitt comes to mind there). I believe it is within a couple of hours that most of the schools know where they are playing in the NIT, and what travel matters they have to take care of. I'm sure bus or air travel for the NIT is set by the NIT committee, not sure who pays for those flights or buses. The CBI had to wait for the NIT field to be announced, and if I remember correctly, Valpo didn't know until after midnight about playing in the CBI and where they would be going?

ValpoHoops

Now that the NIT is run by the NCAA, as soon as the 68 teams are decided upon (and yes, this happens LONG before the final bracket, since the Big Ten and SEC are the only two conferences that finish on Sunday, and most times the two teams playing in the final are in regardless of outcome), then the NIT gets that list and can work from there putting teams in.

So, as soon as the NCAA field is announced, they have been making calls to schools on accepting bids, hosts, etc. and have already put a bracket together, just confirming with the schools that everything is good to go, game times, TV, etc. Its all going to be done relatively fast.

valpomarketingguy

Quote from: valporun on March 11, 2011, 09:45:47 AM

The NIT does not host a selection show, but it also would not surprise me if the head of that committee is not sitting in the hub of the selection committee's hotel space finding out which teams he can invite out of those who were on the bubble.

Not true.  You can watch the selection show at 8pm CST Sunday night on ESPNU

NIT Selection Show Information

valporun

Quote from: valpomarketingguy on March 11, 2011, 12:57:08 PM
Quote from: valporun on March 11, 2011, 09:45:47 AM

The NIT does not host a selection show, but it also would not surprise me if the head of that committee is not sitting in the hub of the selection committee's hotel space finding out which teams he can invite out of those who were on the bubble.

Not true.  You can watch the selection show at 8pm CST Sunday night on ESPNU

NIT Selection Show Information

I stand corrected once again. I'm new to having ESPNU as one of my cable choices, so I was never aware that ESPNU hosts an NIT Selection Show.

bbtds

Good ol' times. Do you think college athletics will ever be the same again?