• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Lutheran Summer Music at Valpo

Started by loschwitz, July 31, 2018, 12:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loschwitz

Lutheran Summer Music just completed its second consecutive year on campus.   LSM is a four week summer music school for teenagers.  It includes training for both singers and instrumentalists.  It is an excellent program.

Check out the LSM Facebook page.  Several concerts and services in the Chapel of the Resurrection were streamed and are available on demand.  The quality of the videos is high and show off the Chapel to great effect.

loschwitz

Good news.

Lutheran Summer Music will return to the Valparaiso campus next year.   LSM has announced that the 2019 summer session will begin on June 23, 2019, and conclude on July 21, 2019.

Keep in mind that LSM is an independent program and not specifically connected with one institution.  It has moved around over the years and has been at Gustavus Adolphus, Luther, and St.Olaf, in addition to Valpo.   The nature of the program and its high reputation make it a very desirable guest.  It can also function as a very effective recruiting tool for the host school.

If any Forum members know of a musically talented young person, be they son or daughter, niece or nephew, or grandchild, let them know about LSM.  it will be a richly rewarding four weeks.

https://www.lsmacademy.org/

vu72

Quote from: loschwitz on August 06, 2018, 04:38:32 PM
Good news.

Lutheran Summer Music will return to the Valparaiso campus next year.   LSM has announced that the 2019 summer session will begin on June 23, 2019, and conclude on July 21, 2019.

Keep in mind that LSM is an independent program and not specifically connected with one institution.  It has moved around over the years and has been at Gustavus Adolphus, Luther, and St.Olaf, in addition to Valpo.   The nature of the program and its high reputation make it a very desirable guest.  It can also function as a very effective recruiting tool for the host school.

If any Forum members know of a musically talented young person, be they son or daughter, niece or nephew, or grandchild, let them know about LSM.  it will be a richly rewarding four weeks.

https://www.lsmacademy.org/

Wonderful news indeed!  And no doubt a disappointment for the ELCA schools mentioned.  I think that if we are focused on continuing to recruit and enroll Lutheran students that this, in combination with the National Lutheran Basketball Tournament, are an unsurpassed combination to that effect.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

It also stresses the importance of staying true to our roots even as we adapt. These events are a big part of the university's history and culture and what makes Valpo such a unique, special place. Losing them would be a tremendous blow. We need to continue to improve both academically and athletically because in many ways, I believe that Valpo is the foremost and most visible of Lutheran institutions. That is a banner we need to continue to carry proudly. How that relationship is continued and managed can change as the need arises, but it must never be lost. What it means to be a Crusader: a servant-hearted scholar who strives for excellence in all things, must always remain at the center of what we think when we think of Valpo. That's a major reason why I'm so proud to be an alum and so proud to cheer for this school's teams: so many of our student athletes not only get that--they embrace it.

crusader05

The music program has been a great addition to the summer months and I hope continue to have them come although I don't know if they regularly move between campuses.
This, the basketball tournament, and celebration like the anniversary of the reformation are really great opportunities for the University to embrace and promote it's Lutheran Identity. I believe that all the activities surrounding the reformation were so well received that they may make it an annual thing, albeit slightly toned down.

Some other ways that the University has moved to permeate it's religious identity that are not maybe easily seen just from a surface view:
SALT the chapel based service group is one of the most respected groups on campus and basically have a week to raise significant money for a service project and they usually get the president and provost involved.
There are now peer ministers in every dorm to provide religious council and guidance and be another mentor to their fellow students
There is an annual spring break trip to Israel that students can take.
Many of our CCAPS fellows work with Lutheran or other religious aligned institutions as their placement.
The Deaconess program remains strong and opens it's doors often to students or other groups, including the Alumni Association and Guild
The chapel additions, having 3 pastors, and including majors regarding service work are also a big part of showing students how our religious identity and Lutheran ethos can lead to effective servant work.

vu72

Quote from: crusader05 on August 07, 2018, 08:32:41 AM
The music program has been a great addition to the summer months and I hope continue to have them come although I don't know if they regularly move between campuses.
This, the basketball tournament, and celebration like the anniversary of the reformation are really great opportunities for the University to embrace and promote it's Lutheran Identity. I believe that all the activities surrounding the reformation were so well received that they may make it an annual thing, albeit slightly toned down.

Some other ways that the University has moved to permeate it's religious identity that are not maybe easily seen just from a surface view:
SALT the chapel based service group is one of the most respected groups on campus and basically have a week to raise significant money for a service project and they usually get the president and provost involved.
There are now peer ministers in every dorm to provide religious council and guidance and be another mentor to their fellow students
There is an annual spring break trip to Israel that students can take.
Many of our CCAPS fellows work with Lutheran or other religious aligned institutions as their placement.
The Deaconess program remains strong and opens it's doors often to students or other groups, including the Alumni Association and Guild
The chapel additions, having 3 pastors, and including majors regarding service work are also a big part of showing students how our religious identity and Lutheran ethos can lead to effective servant work.

Has Pastor Char been replaced with a permanent hire?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

I believe the head of the Deaconess program is filling in for the current year for most of her responsibilities while they prepare a search to replace her. I have not heard any plan that her spot would not be fully placed but that they wanted to be purposeful in bringing in someone new

agibson

Quote from: loschwitz on July 31, 2018, 12:22:17 PMIt is an excellent program.

Agreed.

And it's been good fun to experience an air conditioned chapel. Maybe only made practical by the window replacements of a few years ago?