• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops: 2017-18

Started by VU2014, November 03, 2017, 03:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpower

Panthers kept it close, but couldn't close the gap. I didn't see the game but the box score shows that the Panthers didn't get to the line once!  :o

IrishDawg

Quote from: Valpower on November 24, 2017, 12:56:39 PM
Panthers kept it close, but couldn't close the gap. I didn't see the game but the box score shows that the Panthers didn't get to the line once!  :o

I watched the game.  Villanova is one of the best teams in the nation at not fouling their opponents on defense (18th in the nation going into the game), so I didn't think it was an issue of refs missing foul calls.  Neither team shot well from deep, Villanova did a better job taking care of the ball and getting turnovers.  UNI's passing was sporadic at best.  McCloud spent too much time dribbling throughout the shot clock in my opinion.

valpopal

Quote from: wh on November 24, 2017, 10:26:26 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on November 23, 2017, 08:19:10 PM
[tweet]933881535719239682[/tweet]

Thanks to the Valpo and Loyola wins the MVC has moved up to 5th.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/conferencerpi

Horizon League barely hanging on at 30th out of 32.  ::)

historyman

Quote from: SanityLost17 on November 06, 2017, 09:39:06 AMI am pleased to see we have taken care of business early, but I am just not sure it means anything yet.   I would like to see how we do in our 1st 3 true D1 regular season games before over analyzing anything.   

What do you think now after beating Kent?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VU2014

Quote from: historyman on November 24, 2017, 11:35:10 PM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on November 06, 2017, 09:39:06 AMI am pleased to see we have taken care of business early, but I am just not sure it means anything yet.   I would like to see how we do in our 1st 3 true D1 regular season games before over analyzing anything.   

What do you think now after beating Kent?

Still hard to tell how good this team is but they've exceeded my expectations so far. The games against Samford & Kent State have been closer then the score indicates. They've been somewhat tough tests & have given this team an opportunity to learn how to win games. Smart scheduling by the Coaching Staff. The depth really is the strength of the team. When guys are struggling we've had bench guys step up the last 2 games.

Fun Matchup Tomorrow: SIU vs potential future MVC team Murray State. Should be a good game. It's a big game for Murray because they'll be under the microscope. They're trying to put their best foot forward. I'd say Murray is the better team but that SIU team is no slouch.

VUGrad1314

Saturday is a day full of interesting midmajor matchups across the MVC:

Ball State @ Indiana State Let's see if the Sycamores can right the ship against an in-state foe.
Georgia Southern @ Bradley Was the Eagles victory over Missouri State an anomaly or are they for real? Can the Braves keep it rolling after a successful 2-1 trip to the Bahamas?
The Crusaders and Ramblers look to stay perfect in Savannah as they take on UNC-Wilmington and Kent State respectively.
SIU @ Murray State This may be my favorite MVC matchup of the day as SIU will be tested on the road by a very hungry Racers team I expect a very close game here
Charleston Southern @ Illinois State game 2 of a 2 game lull in an otherwise brutally tough  nonconference schedule. Hopefully the Redbirds can avoid the trap before the level of competition ratchets up again.

Lookslike a day full of tough but winnable matchups. Hope all MVC teams are ready for their opponents. Go MVC!

wh

Another good conference win - Bradley just beat Georgia Southern 62-57 to go 6-1. GSU (5-2) had beaten Missouri State earlier.

VU2014

Quote from: wh on November 25, 2017, 03:33:30 PM
Another good conference win - Bradley just beat Georgia Southern 62-57 to go 6-1. GSU (5-2) had beaten Missouri State earlier.

I caught part of the game. Bradley was underrated coming into the season. They have a lot of experience on that team. Koch Bar their Center is going to be a handful to deal with. He's only sophomore and he's developing into a stud. He has a really high ceiling. He brought down 13 rebounds today.

VUGrad1314

Well that's embarrassing. This erases a lot of goodwill they built up in Myrtle Beach...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=400989619

VU2014

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 25, 2017, 10:08:24 PM
Well that's embarrassing. This erases a lot of goodwill they built up in Myrtle Beach...

I think it shows that MVC teams have to show up every game and when they have some players with bad games or at least bad shooting games then other players must step up and 7-0 Valpo has done just that.  BTW, who is Ja-ma Sore-ella? Could he have screwed up a Spaniard's name any worse?

The commercial for Crystal Burger did go well, though.............What? That wasn't a commercial for Crystal Burger?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on November 26, 2017, 05:49:39 AM

I think it shows that MVC teams have to show up every game and when they have some players with bad games or at least bad shooting games then other players must step up and 7-0 Valpo has done just that.  BTW, who is Ja-ma Sore-ella? Could he have screwed up a Spaniard's name any worse?

The commercial for Crystal Burger did go well, though.............What? That wasn't a commercial for Crystal Burger?

You make a good point about players having off games, that's what may get a lot of teams.  Maybe it bites us less with this depth.  Bakari/Burton/Golder/Walker can all go for 30 pts. 

I'm a little nervous with the lack of a go-to this early with this young team.  But that's got to develop.  On last years team if Alec or SHANE/Tevonn were off we were much more suspect.

It's never advantageous to lose an Alec or Hammink, but to gain a Bakari/Burton/Golder makes us more versatile when combined with Hazen/McMillan/Linssen.

If we are to fight for the MVC title we will do it by wearing down our opponent through our depth.  Clearly our shooting is just as sporadic as last year.  Man it would be amazing if Fazekas was eligible!!!

To come away 2-0 was better than expected, but maybe I need to recalibrate my expectations.  Nice job Valpo!  Now pass like a team and shoot better 😜😊🤔

FWalum

From the stat line it looks like Clarance is back from injury but limited playing only 3 minutes, but remember that 7' starting center Ndiaye is still out till at least mid December. This makes their recent short handed performances even more impressive because they may not be at full strength until the conference portion of the season.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FWalum on November 26, 2017, 09:14:47 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 25, 2017, 10:08:24 PMWell that's embarrassing. This erases a lot of goodwill they built up in Myrtle Beach... http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=400989619
From the stat line it looks like Clarance is back from injury but limited playing only 3 minutes, but remember that 7' starting center Ndiaye is still out till at least mid December. This makes their recent short handed performances even more impressive because they may not be at full strength until the conference portion of the season.

Your point is well-taken but shorthanded or not  you can't take a loss to Charleston Southern,especially on your home floor. You just can't. Not as a mid-major that has to fight for everything anyway.

VU2014

https://twitter.com/fatherharry1/status/935159351265890306

'Must Win Week' in the Valley

by Harry Schroeder November 27, 2017

(St. Louis, MO) – The Missouri Valley Conference is off to an historic start to the season. The Valley has won over 74% of its games (46-16), with Valparaiso (7-0), Loyola (7-0), Bradley (6-1) and Drake (4-1) starting the season with historic success.

........ http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/a-must-win-week-in-the-valley/

Valpower

MSU threatening to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory in their match against Colorado State. They had a huge halftime lead.

valpolaw

Boise state is up 56-27 on Loyola. Lexus has 9 so far

valpotx

Yeah, Boise State is taking Loyola to the woodshed, with Lexus leading the way.
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

Most beat Cost 77-67, but the Ramblers are being wrecked...in the town of blue smurf turf.

did I mention that Valpo is 8-0?

SanityLost17

I miss Lexus.  He was always my favorite player.   I am glad he is in a good situation at Boise.   I wonder how he would fit into our lineup had he stayed?

It is too bad for the MVC that they didn't pick Valpo over Loyola several years back.   Both Valpo and Illinois State were the "last team out" each of the last 2 years for an at large bid.   If Valpo was in instead of Loyola both probably would have had just enough of an RPI boost to get that very last spot.  That said, Loyola has really stepped up their game since coming over, so that is good.