• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops: 2017-18

Started by VU2014, November 03, 2017, 03:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

can someone post the kenpon ranking of all the mvc teams?
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo4life

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 20, 2017, 11:06:30 AM
can someone post the kenpon ranking of all the mvc teams?

Nothing fancy but here it is:

Illinois St - 91
Loyola - 92
Valpo - 100
Missouri St - 105
Northern Iowa - 115
Bradley - 122
Southern Illinois - 127
Evansville - 146
Indiana St - 184
Drake - 199

VUGrad1314

That chart is a thing of beauty right there Hope we can keep it up! Go MVC!

valpo4life

So Missouri State loses to Georgia Southern yesterday. And now trails Manhattan at halftime. Time to start questioning what seemed to be the consensus favorite to win the league. They simply cannot shoot it from outside, 27% from 3 so far. Going to be tough to consistently win games when your opponents can pack it in and dare you to hit jump shots.

VULB#62

Are they missing any key players or are there injuries in the equation?

IrishDawg

FWIW, MVC is now #9 in Kenpom conference rankings - just ahead of Atlantic 10.

Top of the Atlantic 10 is better, but the middle and bottom sections of the MVC are much stronger.

valpo4life

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 21, 2017, 11:26:28 AM
Are they missing any key players or are there injuries in the equation?

They escaped with a 69-65 win. It does not seem as if they are missing anyone through initial research.

oklahomamick

Happy we left the HL?   :-X

11/21

11 Missouri Valley
14 Mid-American
18 Ohio Valley
19 Summit League
28 HORIZON LEAGUE

Individual HL Team RPI's

46 Oakland
113 Milwaukee
138 Northern Kentucky
239 Cleveland State
314 UIC
326 Youngstown State
335 IUPUI
337 Green Bay

CRUSADERS!!!

valpolaw

vusupporter

Citing RPI 10% of the way into the season is silly, considering it's a purely mathematical formula with a very small sample size.

oklahomamick

true, lets see how it plays out. 

However I think the point I'm trying to make will also be obvious in March, and you know my point.   :thumbsup:
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

My understanding is that the Horizon League will be better than ever this year, and Valpo was leaving because we would no longer be top dog, with Oakland in the conference!  Source:  HL fan boards
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpotx on November 21, 2017, 04:20:19 PM
My understanding is that the Horizon League will be better than ever this year, and Valpo was leaving because we would no longer be top dog, with Oakland in the conference!  Source:  HL fan boards

Don't you feel a little silly taking shots at them?  Who cares what they say, they have no say on our current or future.

I'm moving on and looking inward.  Afterall, it's clear this forum needs more "sky is falling" guys like me! (Maybe not).

Glad to have found the forum, great place to sound off and get insight.  You guys are a fun part of my day....even if I'm not the most optimistic poster.

valpotx

No, not at all, but thank you for asking ;).  I still hate Oral Roberts, due to always playing and losing to them in baseball.  I can make fun of our past opponents all I want, while still looking forward, and being extremely happy about our conference situation.  Also, Buck Futler and Petros sucks :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Evansville takes down Fresno State of the MWC 59-57 to run their record to 5-0.

Valpower

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 21, 2017, 09:37:50 PM
Evansville takes down Fresno State of the MWC 59-57 to run their record to 5-0.
How 'bout the privates pulling their weight?  ;)

VUGrad1314

Although there appears to be a fairly significant difference in strength of schedule in favor of the publics right now I do find it amusing that every private school is ahead of all public schools in this conference after all the complaints that the private schools aren't competitive enough. Even more amusing is that one of the leading voices beating the drum against the private schools was Sycamores beat writer Todd Aaron Golden (the same man who had Valpo 9th and Illinois State 6th in his preseason poll) whose Sycamores currently bring up the rear in the MVC.

Valpower

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 21, 2017, 10:33:43 PM
Although there appears to be a fairly significant difference in strength of schedule in favor of the publics right now I do find it amusing that every private school is ahead of all public schools in this conference after all the complaints that the private schools aren't competitive enough. Even more amusing is that one of the leading voices beating the drum against the private schools was Sycamores beat writer Todd Aaron Golden (the same man who had Valpo 9th and Illinois State 6th in his preseason poll) whose Sycamores currently bring up the rear in the MVC.
Indeed on the schedule strength, but I couldn't resist the partisan jab because the MVC has got me in a good mood.

VUGrad1314

Aces just miss winning the Cancun challenge as they were sunk by a late 3 by  LaTech 63-61. But UNI scores a big victory over AAC foe
SMU 61-58. Next up: the NC State Wolfpack who beat#2 ranked Arizona today. If they win that they'll get the Villanova-Tennessee winner. Atlantis has been weird this year. Two of the three ranked teams lose and the third got pushed nearly to the limit  by Western Kentucky.

VULB#62

Holy cow. What a great quote.

This speaks so well to top-to-bottom conference depth. All MVC teams have to keep winning in the OOC phase. Then we kill each other in conference play, but that still will pump up everyone's RPI, right?

BTW, where is the HL?

covufan

The MVC Hoops preseason is shaping up nicely.  The MVC will be competitive each night and at every location.  Should be a fun season to watch.

My prediction is that the first team to 13 wins will win the MVC regular season.  Valpo will be that team!

VU2014

VULB#62