• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2018-19 VU Schedule

Started by VU2014, November 07, 2017, 08:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

And if you think about it Indiana State Evansville Illinois State Bradley even Loyola and SIU are within pretty easy driving distance from Indy. This really was a great move for him if his goal was to play closer to home.

VUGrad1314

Murray State is looking for at least one home game. Should we get a series going?

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/2018/05/17/bidwells-blog-early-look-racers-2018-19-schedule/

VULB#62

Didn't read the article but vote yes.

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 20, 2018, 09:21:08 PM
Murray State is looking for at least one home game. Should we get a series going?

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/2018/05/17/bidwells-blog-early-look-racers-2018-19-schedule/

It could be a Payne to schedule the Racers but if we did get them on our schedule it would be like entering the land of Canaan.

valpo84

Quote from: bbtds on May 21, 2018, 08:48:15 AM

It could be a Payne to schedule the Racers but if we did get them on our schedule it would be like entering the land of Canaan.

Polite golf applause.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

wh

Given that Doug Elgin has advised member programs to avoid playing 200+ RPI teams and mismatched high majors, and given that we don't appear to want to schedule HL teams (ala Butler when they left), and given that we almost never schedule a Summit League team (for probably the same reason), and given that we can't schedule MVC teams OOC like we used to, and given that almost no P6 teams would ever come to ARC, scheduling a home-and-home against a quality mid like Murray State might be a good idea. 

VUGrad1314

A series with a program as good as Murray State is always a good idea. Get your OOC series with them in now before they join the MVC the games with them become mandatory and scheduling quality opponents out of conference becomes even more difficult. I think at some point we're going to have to turn to the top teams of leagues like the Horizon and Summit in order to boost our nonconference schedules in a meaningful way.

vu72

Quote from: wh on May 21, 2018, 02:25:11 PM

Given that Doug Elgin has advised member programs to avoid playing 200+ RPI teams and mismatched high majors, and given that we don't appear to want to schedule HL teams (ala Butler when they left), and given that we almost never schedule a Summit League team (for probably the same reason), and given that we can't schedule MVC teams OOC like we used to, and given that almost no P6 teams would ever come to ARC, scheduling a home-and-home against a quality mid like Murray State might be a good idea. 

I wonder whether or not we might get a game or series with:  Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky, New Mexico State, Toledo or Belmont.  All top 100 RPI schools.  Even Lipscomb is just outside at #101.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

You just listed a bunch of teams I'd rather watch Valpo play than SIUE and UCR. Can we get out of those games and play teams like that instead?

VU2014

If we did a series with Murray State I'd want to make sure we were the first home game. With Murray being a candidate to join the Valley with expansion, I'd would want to make sure we get that first home game incase they joined the Valley. I'm not sure how likely it is that we'd schedule them at this point because many teams have their schedules set already and dates can get pretty tricky to matchup. Valpo has the leverage so it would need to be on our terms.

VUGrad1314

I don't think it matters too much where the series starts. With the Racers looking to be a top contender in the OVC it will be at least a Q2 win no matter where it's played. If we go on the road first it should be Q1. I think I like your home first road 2nd format because it gives us a shot at beating a good team in what might still be a transition year for us while protecting the strength of that game next year when we should be good in case Murray State isn't as strong in 2019-2020. I'm not saying it's a certainty that they will weaken a bit then but it's certainly possible

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteYou just listed a bunch of teams I'd rather watch Valpo play than SIUE and UCR. Can we get out of those games and play teams like that instead?

Me too, but "getting out of those games" require us paying those teams money to not play a game, which is not something Valpo is going to do. We booked both of those series when we were still in the HL, but we might as well play the home games and get those put to bed.

VUGrad1314

Yeah I guess that's fine. Then we can begin to realize the full benefits of MVC scheduling. I guess it's okay to just play these series out and keep the Goodwill between everyone. 2019-2020 and maybe 2020-2021 is the year we should be full out gunning for the at large bid anyway.We should be in a good position for one then.

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 21, 2018, 04:54:22 PMI guess it's okay to just play these series out and keep the Goodwill between everyone.

I generally keep everything I get at Goodwill but I do eventually stop wearing the item. 

EddieCabot

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on May 21, 2018, 04:27:42 PM
QuoteYou just listed a bunch of teams I'd rather watch Valpo play than SIUE and UCR. Can we get out of those games and play teams like that instead?

Me too, but "getting out of those games" require us paying those teams money to not play a game, which is not something Valpo is going to do. We booked both of those series when we were still in the HL, but we might as well play the home games and get those put to bed.

UCR and SIUE might not be great home games, but they have to draw better than the normal menu of Trinity Christian and North Park (or is it South Park?).  I understand non-DIs don't count against the RPI, but at some point, I'd like to see Valpo act like a D-I progam and actually play other D-I schools.

bbtds

I booked my trip to Vegas for the UNLV game on Nov. 28.

Where exactly does Parker Gatewood live and is it near a place called The Ranch? I'm thinking of getting some horseback riding in while I'm there.

VU2014

I wonder if we'll get a series going with NIU within the next few seasons with Gary native Eugene German being the star player there.

VUGrad1314

Not a tremendous benefit to playing NIU but it sure would beat a non D1 or Chicago State.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 29, 2018, 09:24:35 PM
Not a tremendous benefit to playing NIU but it sure would beat a non D1 or Chicago State.

Agreed but we're likely going to schedule some unappealing or not very helpful opponents because we need to fill out the schedule. We already have SIUE/UCR lined up next season and they are arguably worse programs. Maybe we wouldn't need to play a return game depending on how badly they want to give German a game close to home. I bet we'd still give them a return game because our staff has a relationship with their staff. I believe we've played them quite a bit in preseason scrimmages.

VUGrad1314

Now that we're in a conference of similar tier and quality to the MWC we can expect similar scheduling right?

https://frshoopz.com/cbb/rothstein-cincinnati-and-unlv-to-start-home-and-home-series/

may know

UNLV has a hot market, the last non-P6 to win a national title, and a massive arena/attendance. They've landed HvH's with the likes of a blueblood (Arizona). Look how many leagues hold their tournament in Vegas come March.

Las Vegas and San Diego are markets and arenas established brands want to play in. Then factor in the West being so vast geographically and having no comparable league, and that often makes it beneficiary for PAC teams to schedule top MWC programs HvH.

Loyola is the only MVC program with an advantageous market. But they don't have the arena to go with it.

I would look at non-SDSU/UNLV/UNM MWC home schedules for a fair comparison. SDSU and UNLV (and to a lesser extent UNM) have intrinsic advantages for scheduling that other MWC/MVC schools can't compete with.

VU2014

Fingers crossed we land a series with a team of Cincinnati's caliber in the near future. UNLV is an attractive opponent for other programs because it's in Vegas. It's a fun experience for the team and fans to travel to.

VUGrad1314

Are you hearing anything that should give us hope in that regard, 2014?

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 01, 2018, 10:50:44 AM
Are you hearing anything that should give us hope in that regard, 2014?

Unfortunately not. We have that Vandy series at some point but I don't think it will start next season.

valpo64

You can bet that B. Drew will not schedule us unless he is firmly convinced that we wont  be able to give them a battle.  The situation is much different when he holds the cards.