• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2018-19 VU Schedule

Started by VU2014, November 07, 2017, 08:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

Not a sweet 16 team but they did make the Vegas 8 a few years ago....I would like to see us play Oakland next year.  Only draw back is they would probably want a home and away contract plus Oakland's RPI will be a drag.
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

This past year was the year to play Oakland. Not very interested now.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 03, 2018, 04:39:29 PM
Purdue Nevada Clemson Maybe the one team not yet announced for the Myrtle Beach Invitational  Also I don't see a new USH. Do you have a link?

Per Jon Rothstein, Monmouth is the eighth team in the Myrtle Beach tournament.

VUGrad1314

Not the headliner type of team I was hoping for but it's still a very good field.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 06, 2018, 04:29:58 PM
Not the headliner type of team I was hoping for but it's still a very good field.

Here's my way-too-early guess of what the bracket will look like:
Left side:
WVU vs
Monmouth

UCF vs
St Joe's

Right side:
WKU vs
CS Fullerton

Wake vs
Valpo

VUGrad1314

Is it crazy for me to think we could come out of that side?

FieldGoodie05

We need some W's next year, so we at least have a chance if we play them.  Why do some of us want only P5 on our OOC schedule?

VUGrad1314

Because I am of the belief that VU is good enough to win two games in that tournament with the right draw.

justducky

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on June 06, 2018, 07:29:00 PM

We need some W's next year, so we at least have a chance if we play them.  Why do some of us want only P5 on our OOC schedule?

Monmouth finished with an RPI of 60 in 15-16 (when they were also an NIT #1 seed), finished 16-17 with an RPI of 51, then dropped back to 207 last season.

Without knowing any details of their 18-19 prospects I'd say they are a pleasant surprise as the final addition. Have we ever faced them?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 06, 2018, 07:42:56 PM
Because I am of the belief that VU is good enough to win two games in that tournament with the right draw.

Are we betting the farm that Fazekas solves 75% of our PF/SF issues of last year?  Cause combine that with losing the best defender/glue guy we've had in a long time (Tevonn) who could also manufacture a bucket and I still see a whole bunch of question marks for OOC 2018/19.

VUGrad1314

Fazekas has the size to play the 3\4 and wasn't exactly a slouch at Providence. Yes I am confident that he will do fine in the MVC.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 06, 2018, 08:02:10 PM
Fazekas has the size to play the 3\4 and wasn't exactly a slouch at Providence. Yes I am confident that he will do fine in the MVC.

I think with Fazekas it comes down to health. Injuries and health are what really hampered Ryan at Providence. He's had some genuine bad luck

FieldGoodie05

Anyone know how many kids generally attend the VU MBB summer camps?  Looking at the prices and it seems a little pricey.

$375 for 4-days of 9AM to 3PM. 

M

It was $300 a few years back and it went 9-4 or 5. $375 is a bit steep for me and my two kids.

valpo84

If that's the pairing, Valpo should have an excellent chance to beat Wake based on information available at this time.  We will have an experienced roster with some key additions -- Fazekas and Javon.  Wake has lost most of their best talent the past two years, and will be young, although with some size in the middle.  Last year was a huge struggle as they lost Atlanta Hawks John Collins.  They had another guy declare and stay in draft this year. They will be led by Brandon Childress, who can shoot and is the son of Wake legend Randolph Childress. They lost a couple games to mid-majors last year.  Danny Manning, despite being a very good hire and his success at Tulsa, has now entered the dreaded "hot seat" at Wake.  Unfortunately, he took over a program that had been driven to the depths by the ultimate poor coaching decision of Bzdelik.  For good insight on Wake sports, bloggersodear.com

Interestingly, the tune for Wake's alma mater is the same as Valpo's, substitute at the end "dear ol Valpo" for "Mother so dear."
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

talksalot

Quote from: M on June 05, 2018, 03:46:53 PMSounds like a team that did not advance out of the sweet sixteen (I actually listened to a podcast 😱).

I'm thinking that the Podcast Spokespersons would have said... "we have an elite 8 team coming in"...

I mean we don't say the '98 team is a round of 32-team'...

which would leave just these 7 teams (with WVU already spoken for).. and Valpo's all time record

-Kentucky Wildcats 0-2
-Texas A&M Aggies 0-2
-Clemson Tigers - never played
-Purdue Boilermakers 2-14
-Nevada Wolf Pack never played
-Gonzaga Bulldogs 0-1
-Syracuse Orange 0-2

I'll go out on a limb and suggest Clemson (since we'll be in the area)...
or Purdud, because they like beating in-state schools
or Kentucky, because we need another "Road Trip" to Rupp.   I know how to get there.

I would say not Nevada unless it's a H&H

Mark Few might like to come to the ARC as a pre-cursor to having to go to St. Marys' small intimate gym
Jim Boeheim might like to play us as a "this is what you get when you run a really clean program"
Texas A&M because they want a beat a team associated with the name "Drew", and they want to pay us back for beating TA&M-CC three times in a row.

vufan75

Ball State is coming to Valpo this coming season per the article attached. Should be a good game and we owe them after last season's game.

https://amp.thestarpress.com/amp/690735002?__twitter_impression=true

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

EddieCabot

Quote from: EddieCabot on June 06, 2018, 04:43:26 PM

Left side:
WVU vs
Monmouth

UCF vs
St Joe's

Right side:
WKU vs
CS Fullerton

Wake vs
Valpo

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-06-14/10-non-conference-basketball-tournaments-could-be-key-come

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on June 14, 2018, 11:51:19 AM
Quote from: EddieCabot on June 06, 2018, 04:43:26 PM

Left side:
WVU vs
Monmouth

UCF vs
St Joe's

Right side:
WKU vs
CS Fullerton

Wake vs
Valpo

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-06-14/10-non-conference-basketball-tournaments-could-be-key-come

Playing off of the way Katz ranks the field and our regular season game at West Virginia, here is my projection for the lineup on our side of the bracket.

VU vs UCF
St Joe vs Wake

Any way it shakes out could give a a trio of good RPI opponents.

VUGrad1314

VUGrad1314

ECU is looking to start series and needs a game this year. Any interest? They're bad but they are an AAC team.

VUGrad1314

So UNC Wilmington will begin a home and home series with Stanford this year with the first game being played in Wilmington. Coach Lottich went to Stanford. We will be very good in 2019-2020. He needs to use his connections to Stanford to give our Crusaders a chance at a resume-building P5 win. We should also see if schools like Ole Miss and Auburn who have given home and homes to mid majors in the recent past are game to do so now. Furthermore with the scheduling changes in the WCC we should be calling teams in the top half of that conference as well.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 02, 2018, 03:41:15 AM
So UNC Wilmington will begin a home and home series with Stanford this year with the first game being played in Wilmington. Coach Lottich went to Stanford. We will be very good in 2019-2020. He needs to use his connections to Stanford to give our Crusaders a chance at a resume-building P5 win. We should also see if schools like Ole Miss and Auburn who have given home and homes to mid majors in the recent past are game to do so now. Furthermore with the scheduling changes in the WCC we should be calling teams in the top half of that conference as well.

The UNCW/Stanford series is happening because the two head coaches played at Kansas together and coached on Roy Williams' staff together for 13 years. The Stanford coach is helping out his buddy.

If Coach Lottich knew someone well on the Stanford staff (not the same coaching tree) or at the Top of the Stanford Athletics Dept, maybe it could happen. It's been 14 years since he's played for Stanford. The Ole Miss staff that gave ISUr the H-&-H has been fired.

VUGrad1314

Makes sense on Ole Miss I counter by saying that there might still be a chance given that they are coached by a man fresh from a mid major that got seriously snubbed and that that staff honored their commitment to Illinois State when they didn't have to . All I'm saying is it doesn't hurt to ask.