• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2018-19 VU Schedule

Started by VU2014, November 07, 2017, 08:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on August 31, 2018, 01:54:06 PM
It's definitely meant to create a reaction in people but the point still stands that the 20 game conference schedule definitely hurts mid-majors. Mid-Major basketball isn't going anywhere but the already uphill battle is getting even more challenging. Rothstein got a quote from an anonymous Big 10 commissioner last year, basically admitting to trying to purposely trying to shut out mid-majors from the at-large bid consideration.

Maybe I am wayyyyyy too pessimistic / realistic but that has been my assumption for decades.  It certainly makes me shake my head, but why should athletics be any different than the real world in where those who "have" make the rules for all others?

I swear I am not depressed  ??? just realistic :thumbsup:

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on August 31, 2018, 01:54:06 PM
It's definitely meant to create a reaction in people but the point still stands that the 20 game conference schedule definitely hurts mid-majors. Mid-Major basketball isn't going anywhere but the already uphill battle is getting even more challenging. Rothstein got a quote from an anonymous Big 10 AD last year, basically admitting to purposely trying to shut out mid-majors from the at-large bid consideration.

Those P6 ADs don't seem to realize that without the final four run by Loyola and the #16 UMBC win over a #1 seed that NCAA tournament would suck and their viewing numbers would be way down. Will they ever learn what truly drives the excitement at the NCAA tournament? It wasn't Villanova's run, it was Loyola's run with their lucky mascot, Sister Jean. Anyone remember the name of Villanova's lucky mascot? Hell no! 

VU2014

A interesting poll that is relevant to our discussion topic on this thread. It's a national poll, rather than just Valpo focused.

https://twitter.com/EmptySeatsPics/status/1036258901069639680

humbleopinion

Quote from: VU2014 on September 02, 2018, 02:51:37 PM
A interesting poll that is relevant to our discussion topic on this thread. It's a national poll, rather than just Valpo focused.

I can't imagine anyone honestly answering "no" to this.  I will likely attend every home game this season, but if I had a significant conflict on a night when we played a DII school, I would feel better about missing that game than if it were a contender for the conference championship.
Beamin' Beacons

VU2014

Quote from: humbleopinion on September 02, 2018, 04:28:51 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on September 02, 2018, 02:51:37 PM

I can't imagine anyone honestly answering "no" to this.  I will likely attend every home game this season, but if I had a significant conflict on a night when we played a DII school, I would feel better about missing that game than if it were a contender for the conference championship.

Maybe it's just me but I feel quality of opponent means less for pro sports than it does for college sports. For example if it's a pro baseball game I'm still be entertained if the Cubs are playing the Orioles, but of course if they are playing the Brewers it's a better game because they are better opponent and a divisional rival. For football it means less because there are so few games in a season I'll go no matter what. For college basketball the quality schedule of the opponent matters more to me.

VUGrad1314

MVC Schedule is out! Starts with two of the expected top 4 3 SAT home games  Loyola on Sunday  No excuses for fans Show up

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/schedule/

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 04, 2018, 12:31:25 PM
MVC Schedule is out! Starts with two of the expected top 4 3 SAT home games  Loyola on Sunday  No excuses for fans Show up

You have to love the MVC conference schedule. Every home game is worthy of being a sell-out. (I'm not kidding).

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 04, 2018, 12:31:25 PM

Wow!  I don't think we could have asked for a better home schedule!  :clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

Why you should go:

JAN 2: Illinois State Projected MVC Title Contender\at-large contender Possible NBA Player (Yarbrough)

JAN 5: Bradley: Wardle Coaches them That should be enough Need more? Likely top 100 team with a talented roster

JAN 19: UNI: Revenge game for the way they embarrassed us on Senior Night last year Pickford is a stud Green was a top 100 recruit Saturday game

JAN 26: Drake: Saturday game Local players on the team First look at their new coach

JAN 29: Missouri State: Revenge game This team embarrassed us in our home debut First look at their new coach Local player on roster

FEB 10: Loyola: Final 4 team  Enough Said

FEB 13: Indiana State: In-State rival Barnes and Neese are and should be prolific scorers Saturday Game Last year's game was a tremendous battle

FEB 20: SIU: Potential MVC title\at-large contender Very talented roster Chance to see Thik Bol if healthy

MAR 2: Evansville: Saturday game  In-state rival First look at new coach

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 04, 2018, 12:56:23 PM
Why you should go:

JAN 2: Illinois State Projected MVC Title Contender\at-large contender Possible NBA Player (Yarbrough)

JAN 5: Bradley: Wardle Coaches them That should be enough Need more? Likely top 100 team with a talented roster

JAN 19: UNI: Revenge game for the way they embarrassed us on Senior Night last year Pickford is a stud Green was a top 100 recruit Saturday game

JAN 26: Drake: Saturday game Local players on the team First look at their new coach

JAN 29: Missouri State: Revenge game This team embarrassed us in our home debut First look at their new coach Local player on roster

FEB 13: Indiana State: In-State rival Barnes and Neese are and should be prolific scorers Saturday Game Last year's game was a tremendous battle

FEB 20: SIU: Potential MVC title\at-large contender Very talented roster Chance to see Thik Bol if healthy

Yep, these matchups are exciting. I'm looking forward to receiving my season ticket order form in the mail.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 04, 2018, 12:56:23 PM
Why you should go:

Definitely a great slate of home games!

https://twitter.com/ValpoBasketball/status/1037024240850137089

EddieCabot

Now that the full schedule is out, does anyone know when season tickets will go on sale?  With so many Saturday/Sunday games, I think demand should be up quite a bit this year.

crusadermoe

The MVC conference is such a huge plus for regular season excitement.  What a coup to have joined.

But here are a few cautionary notes.  They can be overcome by VU, but you have to be proactive.  To me, home crowds seem the biggest factor on Saturday games.  Moreso than mid-week games. My theory is they draw more students and bigger and louder crowds.

Valpo hosts Evansville home game on Saturday, March 2 -is that on Spring Break?   I hope not.   
Valpo hosts Loyola on a Sunday.  We will  probably get a great number.  But will it be a daytime crowd of townies rather than fill a night game full of students?  Will see.  Better promote it somehow!

We get SATURDAY HOME GAMES on January 19 and 26.   Great!  These seem to give us an ideal time of year for big turnouts and use back to back games to build attendance momentum.  But.......
.......according to some on this board. the greek activities are an irresolvable conflict in those weeks.  And omg you just CAN'T  compete with that!  Nor can you employ any logical coordination of greek activity around basketball.  Please prove me wrong greek leaders! 

VUGrad1314

I have to say: This all feels so much more awesome and exciting the second time. Don't get me wrong I was stoked last year but everything happened so fast. The lead-up to the season felt like such a blur. Now, with the ability to take everything in and enjoy each event for what it is, I just feel so thrilled and happy we're in this conference. Thanks again to President Heckler, MLB, the Valpo board, the Drew family, coach Lottich, all the donors, Alec, Rowdy, Vashil, and all the other tremendous players and people who have represented this fine institution with such class, grace, and dignity over the years. This is your accomplishment--all of you--and the pride you should feel should be immeasurable for making all of this possible. This fan and alum is grateful. Thank you so very much. Now let's go out there and start collecting some titles! Go Valpo! 

valpopal

Quote from: crusadermoe on September 04, 2018, 03:02:15 PM
Valpo hosts Evansville home game on Saturday, March 2 -is that on Spring Break?   I hope not.   

Unfortunately, the Evansville game is during Spring Break.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpopal on September 05, 2018, 10:48:19 AM

Isn't spring break 2-weeks?  So it stands to reason that every year this occurs . . . I'd say that I am glad that Evansville is the game where that happens.  At least the bigger games (pre-season top teams) are not impacted.

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on September 05, 2018, 11:35:49 AM

Isn't spring break 2-weeks?  So it stands to reason that every year this occurs . . . I'd say that I am glad that Evansville is the game where that happens.  At least the bigger games (pre-season top teams) are not impacted.

Eville is going to be in for a rough season. By comparing the rosters you'd expect that we'd go 2-0 this year but you never know in CBB. We'll win some games that on paper we probably should lose and we'll lose a game or two to an opponent we have no business losing to (ex: UC-Riverside last season and Santa Clara @ home the season before).

Pgmado

I believe that in two years the university is shifting its academic calendar and spring break will be shortened to one week. Also, the school will finally get Labor Day off.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Pgmado on September 05, 2018, 12:00:05 PM

I believe that in two years the university is shifting its academic calendar and spring break will be shortened to one week. Also, the school will finally get Labor Day off.

Keep up the podcasts Paul!  I happen to agree with your position on scheduling  :thumbsup:

VUGrad1314

Quote from: crusadermoe on September 04, 2018, 03:02:15 PMValpo hosts Evansville home game on Saturday, March 2 -is that on Spring Break?   I hope not.

I wonder what's bringing about the shift in policy RE: Labor Day. I thought they kept students over Labor Day because of concerns about  student retention. I hope they're waiting until all the dorms are updated before this change.

crusader05

The shift is to create a semester schedule that's more in line with what other schools do. also, the labor day break is greatly needed as the push through to fall break can be really intense. I think other parts of the schedule shift include a guaranteed 3 week break between fall and spring and an earlier end in May. 

As far as labor day with retention, there is now so much programming at the beginning of the year, and with students being so easily connected to family via phones and skyping it just doesn't loom so large as a 'make or break" weekend. 

Honestly, these days with colleges the biggest challenge for retention is finances.

As far as scheduling goes the one thing that I would love to see happen are watch parties for our big away games. If we don't have the most exciting at home schedule it could be a good way to increase enthusiasm in a low stress way. Just make the Cafe be all Valpo Basketball All day those two days

valpopal

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on September 05, 2018, 12:07:04 PM

Keep up the podcasts Paul!  I happen to agree with your position on scheduling  :thumbsup:

Yes, the recognition of Labor Day as a university holiday is a done deal. The shift to a one-week spring break is still being debated in Faculty Senate with good points made on both sides, though the apparent hope of the administration is to eventually find a way to make that change for the 2020-2021 school year.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on September 05, 2018, 03:09:44 PM

Yes, the recognition of Labor Day as a university holiday is a done deal. The shift to a one-week spring break is still being debated in Faculty Senate with good points made on both sides, though the apparent hope of the administration is to eventually find a way to make that change for the 2020-2021 school year.

Considering that the other 9 universities in the MVC all have 1-week Spring Breaks, and considering that IU, Purdue, Notre Dame, Butler and other schools in Indiana all have 1-week Spring Breaks, I'm curious. What exactly were the "good points" on the side of a 2-week Spring Break that everyone else in the universe is missing?

valpopal

Quote from: wh on September 05, 2018, 07:53:17 PM
Quote from: valpopal on September 05, 2018, 03:09:44 PM

Considering that the other 9 universities in the MVC all have 1-week Spring Breaks, and considering that IU, Purdue, Notre Dame, Butler and other schools in Indiana all have 1-week Spring Breaks, I'm curious. What exactly were the "good points" on the side of a 2-week Spring Break that everyone else in the universe is missing?

One main problem is that many Valpo students from various university departments or organizations participate in multiple long-distance (national and international) spring semester service trips each year that provide educational, social, charitable, or cultural benefits, which would be hindered by a one-week break. I believe a compromise solution that somehow would accommodate these projects is being sought.