• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2018-19 VU Schedule

Started by VU2014, November 07, 2017, 08:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on March 24, 2018, 09:29:24 PM
A "chance" would indicate Nevada via the Valley-Mountain West Challenge?

Valpo and Nevada both hosted home games this season so it seems likely both would take a turn playing away next season. The list of MWC teams who hosted this season: Air Force, Colorado State, San Jose State, UNLV. If we play UNLV next season, maybe we hit up Nevada on the same road trip while we're out there? Nevada vs Valpo would be a fun series and great for both teams.

VUGrad1314

And where does Gonzaga fit in with the MVC-MWC challenge? Rumor has it that talks between the school and conference are very serious and the Bulldogs could make the move in the next few weeks.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/gonzaga-to-the-mountain-west-zags-hope-to-reach-conference-decision-in-next-two-weeks/

https://mwwire.com/2018/03/24/report-gonzaga-likely-to-join-mountain-west-within-next-two-weeks/

https://twitter.com/MWCwire/status/977681715488534533

covufan

Per Oren: The 2018-19 schedule will have at least two games against this year's final four teams - with one at the ARC!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: covufan on March 25, 2018, 01:07:57 AM
Per Oren: The 2018-19 schedule will have at least two games against this year's final four teams - with one at the ARC!

Wouldn't that be Loyola?????

talksalot

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 25, 2018, 05:27:34 AM

Thank you Captain Obvious.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: talksalot on March 25, 2018, 08:23:59 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 25, 2018, 05:27:34 AM

Thank you Captain Obvious.

I read covufan's post to mean he was not aware.  Simply highlighting it by asking a question without being a ______.  Clearly you take a different path.  Your snarky nature makes you superior, I now see this.

Valpo2010

I'm hearing some rumors about a neutral site tourney in Myrtle Beach, SC for Valpo in 2018.  Anyone else hearing anything about this?

vu72

Aren't wwe due for a Vandy game?  This is his third year and they owe us!

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

Quote from: Valpo2010 on March 25, 2018, 09:59:53 AMI'm hearing some rumors about a neutral site tourney in Myrtle Beach, SC for Valpo in 2018.  Anyone else hearing anything about this?

The one Illinois State was in last year? (The Puerto Rico Tip-off which got moved to Myrtle Beach because of the hurricane?! Score! That's a really good tournament!

VU2014

The 'Puerto Rico Tip-off' (now Myrtle Beach Tip-off?) almost seems to good to be true. We were scheduled to play in the Great Alaskan Shoot-out, which is a worse neutral site tournament. This would be an amazing scheduling get if it were to happen. 8 Teams play in the Tournament every year and currently only 7 teams are listed according to the on Wikipedia as participating in the 2018 Tournament.

2018 List:
-Arkansas
-Cal State Fullerton
-Colorado
-Saint Joseph's
-UCF
-Wake Forest
-West Virginia

West Virginia just so happened to be playing in the Sweet 16 this season and maybe that was the mystery Team Paul Oren was referring to. Maybe we are the mystery 8th team in this tournament and maybe we are playing West Virginia in the opening round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico_Tip-Off#2018_teams

http://espnevents.com/puerto-rico-tip-off/

valpotx

I would be curious how long BYU stays in the WCC, with Gonzaga bolting.  That conference would be screwed, as it is pretty much only Gonzaga, BYU, and St. Mary's.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on March 25, 2018, 07:21:22 PM
I would be curious how long BYU stays in the WCC, with Gonzaga bolting.  That conference would be screwed, as it is pretty much only Gonzaga, BYU, and St. Mary's.

BYU never should have left the MWC for the WCC. I wonder if the MWC would ever take BYU back or if BYU would even want to go back. Maybe St. Mary's will be more willing to schedule Home-&-homes with other mid-majors now. They won't be able to bank on having 2 Gonzaga games anymore.

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on March 25, 2018, 12:22:56 PMAren't wwe due for a Vandy game?  This is his third year and they owe us!
The time to do this is now. If we can assume that it will be 2 for 1 then 18-19 and 19-20 both need Vandy games. The location sequence should be determined by at-large value impacts for both teams. What about Baylor?
Quote from: VU2014 on March 25, 2018, 02:56:17 PMThe 'Puerto Rico Tip-off' (now Myrtle Beach Tip-off?) almost seems to good to be true. We were scheduled to play in the Great Alaskan Shoot-out, which is a worse neutral site tournament. This would be an amazing scheduling get if it were to happen. 8 Teams play in the Tournament every year and currently only 7 teams are listed according to the on Wikipedia as participating in the 2018 Tournament.

2018 List:
-Arkansas
-Cal State Fullerton
-Colorado
-Saint Joseph's
-UCF
-Wake Forest
-West Virginia
We need to be in this kind of tournament almost EVERY YEAR. With the team quality and prospects we see coming in 18-19 and 19-20 this is an absolute MUST.

covufan

With the recent Loyola (and MVC) exposure, we need to get a Big 10/MVC double header at the United Center in Chicago.  I'm thinking Illinois/Loyola and Iowa/Valpo games would easily sell out, and provide the MVC with some needed exposure. 

I will again look forward to the MVC/MWC game, and any home-and-home series we can get out of this series. 

VUGrad1314

Quote from: covufan on March 26, 2018, 12:59:15 PMWith the recent Loyola (and MVC) exposure, we need to get a Big 10/MVC double header at the United Center in Chicago.  I'm thinking Illinois/Loyola and Iowa/Valpo games would easily sell out, and provide the MVC with some needed exposure. I will again look forward to the MVC/MWC game, and any home-and-home series we can get out of this series.

Not a bad thought but since Iowa already does the Hy-Vee in Des Moines I think it makes much more sense to try to bring  in Northwestern or De Paul (if they ever get their act together) or seeing if Wisconsin or Marquette would be interested in something like this.

VUGrad1314

I mean since these tournament fields are generally planned out years in advance this could be a benefit of us having replaced Wichita State in the MVC. Though I honestly would not be surprised--if this tournament is looking for an MVC team--if they go for Loyola and we replace Loyola in whatever event they were in. That could be why the field hasn't been announced yet they're waiting to talk to Loyola. But Paul Oren's tweet said we would play 3 sweet 16 teams and two are confirmed. Loyola is one of them obviously. West Virginia is speculated to be another. If West Virginia in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off isn't one of the teams then who are they? And if the Mountaineers are indeed one of those gamesthen why not announce the field already?

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on March 25, 2018, 02:56:17 PM
The 'Puerto Rico Tip-off' (now Myrtle Beach Tip-off?) almost seems to good to be true. We were scheduled to play in the Great Alaskan Shoot-out, which is a worse neutral site tournament. This would be an amazing scheduling get if it were to happen. 8 Teams play in the Tournament every year and currently only 7 teams are listed according to the on Wikipedia as participating in the 2018 Tournament.

2018 List:
-Arkansas
-Cal State Fullerton
-Colorado
-Saint Joseph's
-UCF
-Wake Forest
-West Virginia

West Virginia just so happened to be playing in the Sweet 16 this season and maybe that was the mystery Team Paul Oren was referring to. Maybe we are the mystery 8th team in this tournament and maybe we are playing West Virginia in the opening round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico_Tip-Off#2018_teams

http://espnevents.com/puerto-rico-tip-off/

That list seems odd to me.  Colorado is playing in the Diamond Head Classic.  Blogging the Bracket (the wikipedia referenced source) shows none of those other teams as committed to an exempt tourney.

DawgFan14

I get your hatred for Butler, but all schools have their obnoxious fans and Butler is no different. Valpo has theirs too, and if you can't find them, then it's you.

Anyways, I understand Valpo wanting a H&H with Butler. My wife went to Valpo and we spent all 4 years of college dating, so I spent some time at Valpo's campus, and I know what the Butler game means to Valpo. It was consistently the most hyped game of the year and brought in a huge crowd to the ARC. Valpo's campus loved the rivalry. Having spent 4 years at Butler and spending weekends on Valpo's campus, I can say with confidence that the rivalry is really only one sided. I know you will think that is condescending, but it's the honest truth. Butler has had that too, especially with IU. I remember in 2010-2011 people actually thought Duke was a rivalry. I know we have shared conferences, and in the same state, but I don't think it means much to anyone at Butler to be honest.

So this brings me to my question, what do you think Butler gets out of a H&H deal with Valpo? Butler consistently plays a difficult OOC schedule, so while I think Valpo at the ARC would be a tough game, it's not a tough game that Butler needs to schedule at all. We're playing in top tournaments (PK80, Maui, Puerto Rico Tip Off), have H&H with major programs over the past few years (Utah, Florida, Maryland, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Cincinnati ), and also have Crossroads Classic every year. Playing Valpo at Hinkle wouldn't generate any more interest than Ball State, Indiana State, Evansville, etc. I think Valpo has been the better program over the past couple of years, but people aren't going to pack Hinkle to see you guys play. Students wouldn't be much more interested in the game either.

Again, I understand why Valpo wants the game. It would boost your SOS and could help you get into the NCAA tournament. It would also be one of the biggest games of your season and be a sold out crowd, not to mention a good game for recruits to attend. But none of this is reciprocal to Butler.

NativeCheesehead

So basically, y'all are scared of us.

bbtds

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 27, 2018, 05:28:00 PM
So basically, y'all are scared of us.

It has appeared that Butler doesn't want to play Valpo for fear of losing.  Whether that is true or not doesn't matter. It appears that way. LaValle Jordan knows just how tough Valpo can be.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: DawgFan14 on March 27, 2018, 04:51:33 PM

I get your hatred for Butler, but all schools have their obnoxious fans and Butler is no different. Valpo has theirs too, and if you can't find them, then it's you.

Anyways, I understand Valpo wanting a H&H with Butler. My wife went to Valpo and we spent all 4 years of college dating, so I spent some time at Valpo's campus, and I know what the Butler game means to Valpo. It was consistently the most hyped game of the year and brought in a huge crowd to the ARC. Valpo's campus loved the rivalry. Having spent 4 years at Butler and spending weekends on Valpo's campus, I can say with confidence that the rivalry is really only one sided. I know you will think that is condescending, but it's the honest truth. Butler has had that too, especially with IU. I remember in 2010-2011 people actually thought Duke was a rivalry. I know we have shared conferences, and in the same state, but I don't think it means much to anyone at Butler to be honest.

So this brings me to my question, what do you think Butler gets out of a H&H deal with Valpo? Butler consistently plays a difficult OOC schedule, so while I think Valpo at the ARC would be a tough game, it's not a tough game that Butler needs to schedule at all. We're playing in top tournaments (PK80, Maui, Puerto Rico Tip Off), have H&H with major programs over the past few years (Utah, Florida, Maryland, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Cincinnati ), and also have Crossroads Classic every year. Playing Valpo at Hinkle wouldn't generate any more interest than Ball State, Indiana State, Evansville, etc. I think Valpo has been the better program over the past couple of years, but people aren't going to pack Hinkle to see you guys play. Students wouldn't be much more interested in the game either.

Again, I understand why Valpo wants the game. It would boost your SOS and could help you get into the NCAA tournament. It would also be one of the biggest games of your season and be a sold out crowd, not to mention a good game for recruits to attend. But none of this is reciprocal to Butler.

Oakland chases Valpo
Valpo chases Butler
Butler overtakes IU and developes a new "Gonzaga?"

It's the food chain, let's not let disgust taint reality.  This decade, Butler is the hot girl that all mid-majors want to date in OOC.

I say we have to put up or shut up...(insert joke by haters)

vu72

Quote from: DawgFan14 on March 27, 2018, 04:51:33 PMButler consistently plays a difficult OOC schedule,

Now that is funny!   :rotfl:

Butler OOC schedule included:  Hanover, Lincoln Memorial (who??) Kennesaw State, Furman, Portland State, Youngstown State, Morehead State and Western Illinois.  All at Butler.  :o

So this middle of the pack Big East team can't fit Valpo, home and home on their schedule.  Whether or not you think anyone at Butler cares, the fact remains that Butler has not played anyone in their history more than Valpo.  It is simply "we are better then you" that dominates their thinking.  Go stick it.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

DawgFan14

Sure, lets compare OOC SOS over the past few years

2017-2018
Butler: 14
Valpo: 183

2016-2017
Butler: 16
Valpo: 81

2015-2016
Butler: 22
Valpo: 50

Sure Butler has some cupcakes on their schedule, but you're ignoring the fact that we play a tough schedule OOC. But, okay, let's have some fun at look at Valpo's OOC.

2017-2018: North park, Trinity
2016-2017: Trinity, Chicago State
2015-2016: IU-Kokomo, Trinity

You guys aren't even playing D1 schools, and the worst part about it is is that you boast about how you have an 8-0 record, first team to 8 wins in NCAAM, etc. while having non D1 schools on your schedule!!!! Why don't you drop your non D1 games and take a buy game from Butler or some other big school? I'm sure there are plenty of teams that would be willing to take a "bottom of the pack" MVC team.

Beggars can't be choosers.

VU2014

No one here likes the Non-d1s but they don't count against the rpi.

Butler's OOC this season had it's cupcakes:
Kennesaw State (10-20)
Princeton (13-16)
Furman a Southern League Team
Portland State a Big Sky Team
Youngstown State (8-24)
Morehead State (8-21)
Western Illinois (12-16)