• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Poll: How many (if any) transfers will Valpo have this offseason?

Started by VU2014, March 05, 2018, 01:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many (if any) transfers will Valpo have this offseason?

3 or more

VU2014

The 2017-18 season is officially over and Valpo Basketball has begun it's offseason. With Mid-Major Conference tournaments coming to the end, we're starting to see some transfer announcements across the country. Unfortunately transfers have become far more common in D1 basketball in recent years.

How many (if any) transfers will Valpo have this offseason? If so, who do you think transfers?

covufan

Being a numbers person, it is unlikely that Valpo, with all freshmen and sophomores, would have zero transfers.  I think the NCAA average now is two per team. 

I'm really hoping that the players feel that they are part of something good, family-like even, and that they want to return to finish business. 

Billy Co

If I had to guess I'd say Micah Bradford is going to transfer. He's the type of guy who could use a fresh start.

On Union Street Hoops they brought up the possibility of Parker Hazen transferring, but I don't think he will. I think Parker is a great team guy. His situation this season is curious with all the DNPs at the end of the season after starting the first 12 games of the season and then barely getting to play after that. If the Coaches join Paul and Parker on USH, I'd hope they press the coaches on the reasoning behind that.

I went with 1.

valpopal

It is usually safe to say that players who transferred into a school will not then transfer out, so we can eliminate Fazekas, Evelyn, Helm (non-scholarship), and Golder. I would be surprised to see the freshmen, McMillan and Linssen, transfer unless it were for non-basketball reasons. Likewise, I think Sorolla would only leave for non-basketball reasons—perhaps homesickness and a chance to play in Europe. Obviously, Sackey and Freeman-Liberty are expected to be here. I don't think Kiser is going anywhere. Smits has already had one year on the sidelines, and I think he'd be better off not transferring this year. If he graduates before next year and improves greatly, and then he considers a grad transfer, I would say his staying for his senior year would depend upon the progress of the team. That leaves Bradford and Hazen. With the graduation of Walker and Joseph, Bradford could get more playing time next year. His ability to assist improved during the year, and he could strengthen his shooting (including his FTs) with hard work during the summer. In addition, the program seemed to support him during this recent incident. Though, at the same time, maybe that experience would be enough to want to look for a new beginning elsewhere. I have never understood the Hazen situation. It was a weird season for him, yet he seems to be as enthusiastic on the bench as anyone except maybe McMillan. However, I always wondered why he and his brother didn't go to the same team. Perhaps he would consider transferring to Ball State to join with his brother. Nevertheless, the off-season sometimes brings surprises, and we will see.

vuny98

Purely based on the expectations coming into the season and the amount of DNP's to finish the year, I don't know how Hazen stays. Obviously there could be more to the story and/or he may have a different attitude. But I would imagine he would not want to ride the bench for another year knowing there is likely somewhere he could get a fresh start and see some playing time. Maybe he and the coaches have had more discussions and next year will be a big year for him, but i would imagine he would have seen more minutes to end the year if that was the case.

Bradford I could see leaving prior to the arrest, even more so now. But I would say 50/50 on him.

Wouldn't be shocked if Lissen or Sorolla transfer, but don't expect either to.

Smits wouldn't transfer when he could do so after next year and not have to sit out. Evelyn and Golder are going to be key players next year, they won't leave. Helm and Fazekas not going anywhere. Kiser seems to be a good role player, and should be thrilled with the amount of time he saw on the court this year. McMillan should be happy with the starts/minutes he had given he wasn't expected to contribute much, and there's not a lot of competition at the 4 right now.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on March 05, 2018, 03:06:19 PM
It is usually safe to say that players who transferred into a school will not then transfer out, so we can eliminate Fazekas, Evelyn, Helm (non-scholarship), and Golder. I would be surprised to see the freshmen, McMillan and Linssen, transfer unless it were for non-basketball reasons. Likewise, I think Sorolla would only leave for non-basketball reasons—perhaps homesickness and a chance to play in Europe. Obviously, Sackey and Freeman-Liberty are expected to be here. I don't think Kiser is going anywhere. Smits has already had one year on the sidelines, and I think he'd be better off not transferring this year. If he graduates before next year and improves greatly, and then he considers a grad transfer, I would say his staying for his senior year would depend upon the progress of the team. That leaves Bradford and Hazen. With the graduation of Walker and Joseph, Bradford could get more playing time next year. His ability to assist improved during the year, and he could strengthen his shooting (including his FTs) with hard work during the summer. In addition, the program seemed to support him during this recent incident. Though, at the same time, maybe that experience would be enough to want to look for a new beginning elsewhere. I have never understood the Hazen situation. It was a weird season for him, yet he seems to be as enthusiastic on the bench as anyone except maybe McMillan. However, I always wondered why he and his brother didn't go to the same team. Perhaps he would consider transferring to Ball State to join with his brother. Nevertheless, the off-season sometimes brings surprises, and we will see.

What he said.  Hazen.  He was getting zero playing time and with the guys ahead of him at the 4 coming back and Ryan, as a possible 4, being added to the mix, Parker would have to either really improve his shooting, rebounding and defense or expect nothing but scrub time for the next two years. In addition, if his major was some engineering field then he might stay for the quality of the education but his major is exercise science.  With no pejorative intent toward the the exercise science faculty, I suspect he can get similar quality education in that field elsewhere.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Where is Hazen going to transfer to and get a D1 scholarship... Chicago State?

EddieCabot

I voted zero, mostly because I don't like speculating that players might leave. 

M

I picked one since anything less then 1 at about any school is a surprise nowadays. I won't speculate on who because I can't do it more elaquently then Pal already did.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 05, 2018, 05:33:29 PM

I'm with you on that.

FWalum

Quote from: a3uge on March 05, 2018, 05:24:41 PM
Where is Hazen going to transfer to and get a D1 scholarship... Chicago State?
That is just a really poor thing to say, Parker was a 3 star recruit that started 12 games. A kid, whether you believe it or not, has a considerable amount of talent and athleticism. I don't know exactly what the situation is that caused him to lose favor with the staff, after they initially showed a lot of confidence in his ability by starting him at the beginning of the season, but I do know that he has not talked about transferring at this point.

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 05, 2018, 05:33:29 PM

Ditto
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo64

I'm just glad the season is over.  I am tired of hearing all the negative comments, often un-justified, of the team, Coach and remarks concerning the Athletic Dept. leadership and the Administration.  Let's all take a step back, take a deep breath or two, and start to look forward to next year.  GO VALPO!

VUfan

How about Three fans transfer to PNC, two take a Red Shirt year off and one just wanders off into the night!  :o

Valpo Joe

Zero transfers - the entire team gets suspended for smoking weed during Songfest  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Micah has been given a lot of playing time during his 2 years at Valpo.  He was given much more than Lexus last year.  With that said, he tells me the coaching staff really likes and believes in him.  Despite under performing (although his output is getting better) and the arrest, I think he will be back due to the coaching staff supporting him. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vusupporter

Micah played 8 minutes/game less than Lexus in the 2016-17 season.

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 06, 2018, 12:43:45 PM
Micah has been given a lot of playing time during his 2 years at Valpo.  He was given much more than Lexus last year.  With that said, he tells me the coaching staff really likes and believes in him.  Despite under performing (although his output is getting better) and the arrest, I think he will be back due to the coaching staff supporting him.

oklahomamick

You are correct.  The numbers so say.....I inflated the numbers in mind because Micah starting 11 games (some over Lexus) and averaging 14 minutes a games last year was too generous. 
CRUSADERS!!!