• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #4 - Southeastern Louisiana Lions @ ARC 11/19/17 3PM Savannah Invitational

Started by talksalot, November 15, 2017, 03:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 19, 2017, 05:19:16 PMI hope Matt is driving home that there are no "starters" just beginners. 

Parker Hazen has started the games, but his minutes have been limited -- just thirteen minutes yesterday.  I was wondering if there might have been a promise made during recruiting.
Beamin' Beacons

vu84v2

With Smits right now, it seems to be an argument of whether the glass is half empty or half full. He does look better on offense - not just with the shooting percentage, but with his positioning and footwork. As Todd mentioned during the broadcast, Valpo's guards need to work on entry passes in the half court. Smits rebounding and defense still need a lot of work. Good rebounders are selfish, they get the ball on the defensive end from everyone including their teammates. Smits needs to get position better on defense as well.

When Valpo starts playing higher quality teams, I see the 4 as being the big problem right now. Lots of raw talent, but no one who can play effective minutes. There is a trend toward teams playing 'four guard' lineups, but to be effective with that you need guards that rebound well (I would say Valpo has one - Tevonn), a faster pace of play (possible, given the quality of Evelyn at the point), and solid three point shooting (questionable). Still, the ability to win tight conference games may come down to improving play at the traditional 4 and 5 spots. Bottom line: keep working Hazen, McMillen and Linssen to see if one develops.

A few other thoughts:
-Evelyn: He looks really good at point guard, but want to see him against better competition. Very promising.
-Kiser: You have got to love a guy who gets everything he can from what he has to work with. It is clear that he worked to develop a three point shot. I cannot see him playing 20+ minutes, but you know you'll get everything he's got to give for 8-12 minutes per game.
-Burton: Clearly an athlete, but a few things sort of stick out. 1. he does not seem to be integrated with the offensive sets in the half court, 2. why does he shoot a set shot from three? On the latter point, he is not going to get that much room against better and longer guards as the season moves forward.
-Golder: Get him on the court more. Great athlete who seems to have the potential to learn quickly.
-(as stated in previous posts) perimeter defense looks good so far, interior defense needs work.

vu84v2

Quote from: humbleopinion on November 20, 2017, 05:37:14 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on November 19, 2017, 05:19:16 PMI hope Matt is driving home that there are no "starters" just beginners.

Parker Hazen has started the games, but his minutes have been limited -- just thirteen minutes yesterday.  I was wondering if there might have been a promise made during recruiting.

I would hope that no promise like this was made. Good coaches do not do that. I think it just comes down to, "we're going to start a true 4 and it just happens to be Hazen right now". If McMillen or Linssen earn the start, they will get it. And I agree wholeheartedly that Matt is likely driving home a 'no starters, just beginners" message.

vu84v2

Good point on Linssen, and while Kiser has been playing some 4 - he does not really have the size or athleticism to play the 4.

VU2014

The attendance was listed as 2,651 for yesterday's game. I was only watching on the stream but the crowd looked fairly sparse from TV. Which is somewhat understandable. No students (Thanksgiving break) & no band and there was a lot of other things going on yesterday. These Thanksgiving & Winter Break games always make me nervous with the thinner crowds.
http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2017-18/17807/late-explosion-propels-crusaders-to-another-big-victory/

vu72

Derrik's game is way better than last year.  Last year he had 75 fouls in 33 games.  This year 8 fouls in 4 games while playing almost twice the minutes.  He is averaging 5.8 boards per game which is more than twice what he did last year. He is shooting 77% from the floor while last year he shot 48% and even his free throw % is up from 42% to 64%.

Granted it is only 4 games but his confidence is only going to go up.

I like Golder at the 4, he is a great defender and can out jump anybody.  Matt wants our guys to get to the line and Marcus adds that aggressive mentality.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

I totally agree that Smits is improved from  last year, especially offensively.  However he really needs to step up in rebounding.  He is always the biggest guy on the court but he needs to get more aggressive so his rebound numbers go up.  I realize his numbers are up from last year but that doesn't say a whole lot.  I believe his minutes are up too which explains some of the increases.  I too believe he will develop more but I think we will get a better feel when he goes up against guys closer in size to him.  So far I don't think he has faced anyone near his size but I could be wrong.

VU2014

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on November 20, 2017, 01:34:47 PM
Did anyone see this exchange during the handshakes at the end of the game? Did anyone hear what happened?
https://twitter.com/brickies1988/status/932691957800980481

I wonder if it had to do with us running up the score by hitting a 3 with 6 seconds to go when we were already up by 27.  coaches don't like that kinda stuff.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on November 20, 2017, 01:59:47 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on November 20, 2017, 01:34:47 PM
Did anyone see this exchange during the handshakes at the end of the game? Did anyone hear what happened?
https://twitter.com/brickies1988/status/932691957800980481
I wonder if it had to do with us running up the score by hitting a 3 with 6 seconds to go when we were already up by 27.  coaches don't like that kinda stuff.

That's what I was thinking too. Also there was that collision at the basket at the end of the game where they somehow didn't call a foul. Also there was a moment in the game where the refs called an over the back on Golder and it got a little chippy between him and the SELA player fighting for that rebound.

oklahomamick

Most likely to had to do with the 2 three point shots taken with less than 20 seconds to go in a 27 point game.  First Micah Bradford shot one and then McMillan shot one with 4 seconds and made it. 

I remember games when we dribbled the shot clock out and handed the ball over. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpolaw

Yea, I agree it was probably the additional shots to run up the score.  I was thinking we probably should have dribbled it out there for a bit instead of trying to score. 

VU2014

The only questionable shot at the end of the game was Mileek's 3. I'm ok with Micah's 3 pointer because there was still more then a 1:30 minutes left on the shot clock, if I remember correctly.

It's a teachable moment for the freshman.

VUBBFan

Made me go back and look at the hand shakes. The conversation between their coach and coach Gore seemed cordial, but Burton looked upset after they talked. Maybe nothing, but Darn It you got me thinking all kinds of things

vusupporter

I've got no problem with taking a shot if there's a difference between the game clock and the shot clock. It seems more condescending to me to purposely let the shot clock run out when there's still 5-10 seconds left to play.

4throwfan

Joe Maddon, manager for the Cubs, says to an athlete who does not like the way things are going something along the lines of: "if you don't like it, play better."

I would say something similar to any coach who has a score run up on them (to an extent): "if you don't like it, have your team play better."

If an opposing team freshman has the ball with time left in the game, so long as they are not showboating, then by all means take the shot, and don't purposely miss.

Valpower

My feeling is that if the team being dominated is still trying to chuck up quick threes to get back in the game (or worse, make the scoring margin seem more respectable) then it's okay for the dominant team to still try to score.

EddieCabot

Quote from: 4throwfan on November 20, 2017, 04:24:35 PM
Joe Maddon, manager for the Cubs, says to an athlete who does not like the way things are going something along the lines of: "if you don't like it, play better."

I would say something similar to any coach who has a score run up on them (to an extent): "if you don't like it, have your team play better."

If an opposing team freshman has the ball with time left in the game, so long as they are not showboating, then by all means take the shot, and don't purposely miss.

Agreed.  When you get beat by 20+, you should be focused on your own players instead of worrying about the other team. 

FieldGoodie05

VUGrad1314

Exactly it's not like Valpo was pounding them with their starters continuing to pour in threes this was a freshman who may struggle to find minutes as the season progresses looking to have a moment of confidence by seeing the ball go through the basket in a game situation. These moments are huge for young reserves. Let the kid have his moment.

FWalum

I was almost surprised that it wasn't an issue and am interested to hear that it might have been.  No one on here liked Junior's dunk at the end of the Detroit Mercy playoff game, and while these shots were not as egregious as that display it is still something that as a coach you don't like to see and will probably let the opposing coach know about, then write it off as young players making an etiquette mistake. Probably something they won't do again.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpopal

Quote from: vusupporter on November 20, 2017, 03:19:35 PM
I've got no problem with taking a shot if there's a difference between the game clock and the shot clock. It seems more condescending to me to purposely let the shot clock run out when there's still 5-10 seconds left to play.

I agree.

valpotx

I had wondered why Coach Gore was talking to him for so long.  It seemed cordial.  I didn't see the angry words for our players, however.  I agree that if they are still chucking, we should play until a last second shot on each shot clock.
"Don't mess with Texas"