• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Micah Bradford charged with two felonies

Started by truth219, February 26, 2018, 04:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on March 01, 2018, 09:08:25 AMMore information from his local newspaper.  He will play and he does do regular drug testing. http://www.daily-journal.com/news/local/ex-bbchs-standout-arrested/article_253237a3-fed4-5dbe-b9d9-96b81e4e7bc9.html

Just to clear this aspect of this story, the article is a bit misleading or, at the very least, not explaining the NCAA drug testing protocol properly. Both street drugs and PEDs are tested for by the NCAA. This is done on a random basis. Not only for the athlete but for the school. For instance, a school may be selected for testing and the school has an appointed administrator to handle the request. Anyone on the roster may be selected for testing and it is done on a random basis. During the championship season, further random testing is conducted and any rostered player may be selected randomly for testing. It is possible to go 4 years without an individual player to never be tested by the NCAA.

In addition, the school may test on their own behalf and, to my knowledge, the school can test any player at any time. The school must report the results to the NCAA and provide evidence that the school has followed the school's established method of punishment for a positive test. A typical street drug suspension for a school is a game or two for the first positive test. Valpo's internal penalty for a street drug violation is 2 games for basketball.

The NCAA penalty for a failed test for street drugs is far more severe at 50%of the team's games.

So while Mr. Bradford says his son has never failed a drug test, it is possible that this is because he's never been administered a test. The wording is interesting. That doesn't mean he hasn't taken a test and passed it or multiple tests and passed them by any means.

Valpo looks at this as a failed internal test. Therefore the institution penalty takes precedence. Had Bradford not been arrested and been caught by the NCAA at the MVCs failing a test, the penalty would have been more severe and gone into the middle of next year.

a3uge

If a college kid smoking pot is the biggest scandal in Valpo basketball history, then we've had a near flawless program.

VULB#62

Uh, that is in comparison to the rest of D-I, right?  I kinda hold my alma mater to higher standards.

wh

Quote from: a3uge on March 01, 2018, 07:14:05 PM
If a college kid smoking pot is the biggest scandal in Valpo basketball history, then we've had a near flawless program.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you simply misread my post.

a3uge

Quote from: wh on March 01, 2018, 10:27:49 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 01, 2018, 07:14:05 PM

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you simply misread my post.
*college kids