• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo and Lutherans

Started by FWalum, September 13, 2011, 05:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Quote from: valpotx on September 12, 2011, 05:45:57 PM
President Heckler is actually down here this Friday in Dallas to speak about the Master Plan.  I look forward to hearing from him personally, though I am not sure how many VU alumni are down here.  I will be just as interested to find that out as in hearing from him.
I have to say that I am really disappointed in whomever is in charge of President Heckler's speaking engagements.  The University has completely ignored the city and Lutheran community primarily responsible for the existence of the university as a Lutheran institution.  What a difference 10 or 11 years have made. The birth place of the Lutheran University Association was honored at the 75th anniversary in this mannner...
QuoteVALPARAISO-Because of the Fort Wayne community's significant role in the formation and history of Valparaiso University as a Lutheran school for the past 75 years, VU's president will preach at the 8:45 a.m. Oct. 8 service at St. Paul's Lutheran Church. A luncheon for area Valpo alumni and friends will take place that afternoon.
As part of Valparaiso University's two-year celebration of its 75th anniversary as a Lutheran institution, President Dr. Alan Harre will speak at the morning service at St. Paul's, 1126 Barr St., Fort Wayne. The special service also will recognize the Lutheran University Association, the body that finalized the purchase of VU in the fall of that same year.
Many of the early figures in the sale and organization of the new Lutheran school were from Fort Wayne including Dr. Jacob Miller, pastor of St. Paul's Lutheran Church, and his son the Rev. Paul Miller, co-pastor of St. Paul's; Dr. Herman Duemling, W. Charles Dickmeyer, Charles Scheimann, the Rev. John Baur, Professor H.D. Mensing and Martin Luecke.
...only to be completely snubbed by president Heckler and the university since he took office.  I normally organize an alumni gathering to watch the IPFW game when it is here in Fort Wayne, President Harre almost always attended, It will be interesting to see if President Heckler will make the trip.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

78crusader

FWalum's comments are quite disappointing to me since I feel this current administration, while doing many good things, is overlooking/minimizing our Lutheran heritage in order to expand our student recruiting base.  While I am mindful of the fact that many LCMS colleges are struggling in part because of declining LCMS numbers (I'm told the number of confirmands has declined from 40,000 per year to around 24,000), I think it is a mistake to not to emphasize our Lutheran character.  The failure of President Heckler to pay attention to the Lutheran community in Ft. Wayne (and, presumably, elsewhere) is a big mistake, I think.  Rather than run away from our Lutheran heritage, we should, in my view anyway, embrace it.  Paul

Crusader65

I don't see a disassociation at all.  The website URL leads with "A International Lutheran University".  We have more Lutheran comparative discussions and then there is the Inter-Lutheran debate between synods.  ELCA and LCMS clergy are present and featured in the campus worship.  I do think that there is a change in the Ft Wayne connections because allot of the decisions for leadership have now come from outside their area of influence but I believe all are welcome and appreciated.  This is me watching from afar but still having family in Valpo.

Great to see the land added to the campus and the development of the New Master Plan.

valpofan56

Quote from: Crusader65 on September 13, 2011, 09:28:07 PM
I don't see a disassociation at all.  The website URL leads with "A International Lutheran University".  We have more Lutheran comparative discussions and then there is the Inter-Lutheran debate between synods.  ELCA and LCMS clergy are present and featured in the campus worship.  I do think that there is a change in the Ft Wayne connections because allot of the decisions for leadership have now come from outside their area of influence but I believe all are welcome and appreciated.  This is me watching from afar but still having family in Valpo.

Great to see the land added to the campus and the development of the New Master Plan.

I sure hope it doesn't say "A International Lutheran University."  ???

vu72

First, FWAlum, I'd suggest you invite Mark to speak to your group.  You might be surprised that he actually shows up!

Second, everyone needs to realize that the Lutheran population in general has declined let alone the LCMS.  There are now more ELCA Board members than LCMS but there is no effort to my knowledge to de-emphasize our Lutheran character.  We are unique in that we can appeal to Lutherans from different backgrounds and do effectively.  I'm not sure of our Lutheran percentage but I'm guessing it compares well to any other Lutheran school other than perhaps the junior colleges or a River Forest, who knows.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

Maybe FWalum's point, though, is that the LCMS folks in Ft. Wayne shouldn't have to reach out to President Heckler; maybe President Heckler should be reaching out to THEM. 

Paul

agibson

But, the new thread is also interesting!  I suppose it could be moved...

Quote from: vu72 on September 14, 2011, 07:07:16 AM
There are now more ELCA Board members than LCMS but there is no effort to my knowledge to de-emphasize our Lutheran character.  We are unique in that we can appeal to Lutherans from different backgrounds and do effectively.  I'm not sure of our Lutheran percentage but I'm guessing it compares well to any other Lutheran school other than perhaps the junior colleges or a River Forest, who knows.

It's hard for me to think comprehensively about how Valpo relates to the ELCA or LCMS: what all the connections are to individuals, to churches, to regional and national church bodies, etc.

On campus, I don't feel that the Lutheran presence on campus is diminished.  But, the ELCA presence is definitely enhanced compared to e.g. 10-15 years ago.  An ELCA president now vs an LCMS (ordained minister) then.  An LCMS pastor and an ELCA pastor at the chapel, with an ELCA director of campus ministries now vs. two LCMS pastors at the chapel then.  Maybe this extends to other areas as well: fund raising, speaking engagements, recruiting, etc.  I certainly hope that the ELCA piece can be beefed up: preferably without compromising the traditionally strong (and traditionally complex) connection to the LCMS and its members.

I don't recall if we discussed, on this board, Brian Johnson and the newly created position that he occupies.  I'll be curious to see how the position of "Executive Director of Campus Ministries" is implemented.  Both on campus (e.g. in terms of ELCA vs. LCMS vs Roman Catholic and other denominations, and in terms of inter-religious endeavors also with Muslims and others), and off campus (in terms of relating to the ELCA, the LCMS, and other church bodies, and their congregations, and their members).

I've never known what to think of Fort Wayne.  I didn't know much about the LCMS before coming to Valpo.  Now I think of Fort Wayne for its seminary, which seems to be on the right edge of a right-leaning denomination.  Not elements that I think of being particularly comfortable with Valpo's role in the LCMS.  But, Fort Wayne also hosted the Deaconess Association before it came to Valpo, and now I learn that it was a center for the lay activity that brought Lutheranism to Valparaiso University.  Is there still a significant amount of support for Valpo's mission in Ft. Wayne, and its churches?

mj

I've felt that Valpo is trying to have it both ways in terms of its Lutheran character. On one hand it wants to remain the same. But at the same time it wants to become more secular, so it can appeal to more people.

I believe that we will win.

vuweathernerd

it's rather troubling, considering the number of students from ft wayne that still come to valpo. i got to know a large number of people from the area while at valpo. and i think fwalum and paul are right that more attention should be paid to ft wayne. not just because of the past history, but the current level of support as well.

78crusader

I think mj is dead on when he says VU is trying to have it both ways.  As Bill Cosby once observed, "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone." 

Paul

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on September 15, 2011, 04:20:55 PM
I think mj is dead on when he says VU is trying to have it both ways.  As Bill Cosby once observed, "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone." 

Paul

Some how I don't understand the logic of your impression.  Valpo has always beenan independent Lutheran school.  Sure, historically it has strong ties to the LCMS but why not appeal to all Lutherans?  It is in a unique position to be what it is:  The only true national Lutheran school in existence.  Be proud.  Would you expect Notre Dame to limit its catholic appeal to only Dominicans?  That is for tiny schools with limited national reach.  Think Gustavus for example where 92% of its students come from Minnesota.  Or how about a Concordia?  You can pick whichever one you would like. The value of a Valpo degree because of its national presence is vastly greater than any other Lutheran institution.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Based on Heckler's speech in Dallas on Friday, they do want to grow that Lutheran base.  I believe he said 5% of VU students are now of this background.  He was also proud of the various other religions on campus, and the different structures that have been built around them over the years: Catholic, Baptist, etc.
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on September 18, 2011, 04:26:44 AM
Based on Heckler's speech in Dallas on Friday, they do want to grow that Lutheran base.  I believe he said 5% of VU students are now of this background.  He was also proud of the various other religions on campus, and the different structures that have been built around them over the years: Catholic, Baptist, etc.

Are you saying that Lutherans now only comprise 5% of the student population at Valpo?

The website says that
"While Lutherans comprise the largest percentage of any religious denomination on campus at more than 30 percent, there are many differing beliefs and faiths present at Valpo. One-fourth of our students are Catholic, while others practice various Protestant faiths, along with Judaism, Buddhism, Islam, and more."

Has Valpo changed that much recently?

vu72

valpotx perhaps misunderstood President Heckler.  The 5% factor has to do with how many Lutheran families send their children to Lutheran colleges. The 30% number is more accurate.

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on September 18, 2011, 09:32:16 AM
valpotx perhaps misunderstood President Heckler.  The 5% factor has to do with how many Lutheran families send their children to Lutheran colleges. The 30% number is more accurate.

Thanks for the explanation. Those figures seem to make more sense.

valpotx

I guess I did not hear him correctly on that part, my apologies.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Crusader65

I think this video on the website and hosted at youtube sets a firm statement how Valpo remains Lutheran and extremely relevant in ones life, the community and the world in general.

http://www.youtube.com/user/valpo#p/u/53/V9zg80twNNc

P.S.  Sorry for my typing error on the previous post but you could have checked the "An rather than A"  before making your statement.

vu72

Terrific video.  The students of today are very impressive.  Thanks for posting.

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on September 15, 2011, 10:31:24 PM
Quote from: 78crusader on September 15, 2011, 04:20:55 PM

Paul

Some how I don't understand the logic of your impression.  Valpo has always beenan independent Lutheran school.  Sure, historically it has strong ties to the LCMS but why not appeal to all Lutherans?  It is in a unique position to be what it is:  The only true national Lutheran school in existence.  Be proud.  Would you expect Notre Dame to limit its catholic appeal to only Dominicans?  That is for tiny schools with limited national reach.  Think Gustavus for example where 92% of its students come from Minnesota.  Or how about a Concordia?  You can pick whichever one you would like. The value of a Valpo degree because of its national presence is vastly greater than any other Lutheran institution.
I think that there is a little bit of revisionist history going on here. This university was primarily founded and supported by LCMS congregations.  The initial definition of independent was that the university was primarily for the lay person and not a synodical training university like the Concordia's. Was the university open to all denominations?  It certainly was open to students of all denominations and faiths but was led by LCMS giants like O. P. and Norman Nagel.  What scares me a little is the deliberate disassociation of the university from the founding congregations. Some of the recent changes at the university have many local alumni and congregations wondering if they can support the university.  Here are a few quotes from a forum written in August.
QuoteRe: Valparaiso University and The LCMS
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 09:13:47 PM »
No question in my mind, I would sooner send a son or daughter to a secular university, than Valpo. Given that their theology faculty will seek to contradict the doctrinal position of The LCMS, with one professor now positioning himself as "called" to do so, on the issue of the ordination of women and actively homosexually persons, how could anyone support Valpo? It has an ELCA president and a woman ELCA campus pastor. It has a stridently pro- women's ordination and pro-gay deaconess program, with graduates ineligible for certification in The LCMS without remedial doctrinal education. It has a Greek system of frats that are every bit as hedonistic as on any secular campus. It has an active pro-gay student organization on campus, and I could go on.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 08:57:15 PM »
Please understand. I think Valpo is an excellent institution. Its graduates are top notch. For many, many years it represented a solid blend of academics and the Lutheran faith. But, as a pastor, could I encourage a student to go there now? I am actually thinking through that right now and do not have a clear answer.
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 11:08:20 PM »
Chaplain *****, my nephew just graduated from Valpo and is headed your way in the fall for seminary training. As you say, it remains an excellent school in many ways. On the other hand, our new associate pastor here in Green Bay did his undergrad work at Central Michigan and seems to have gotten a fine education, too. I grew up at Valpo and went there for college so it will always be "home" in a way that cannot be disowned. But I wouldn't recommend anyone go there thinking they're going to learn theology. The days of Valpo having a formidable and noteworthy theology department are long gone. Same with the chapel-- a sad shell of its former self, a cavernous, empty building.

Valpo is independent only in the sense that it is not formally affiliated with any denomination. In practical terms it is 100% an ELCA institution. There is a not a single difference between the ELCA and any other Lutheran church on which Valpo is not firmly in the camp of the ELCA.

On the other hand, I just did a wedding for Valpo grad and talked to the organist from Notre Dame (who played the wedding) and he said most of the sacred music and liturgy folks at Notre Dame were Lutheran, the bulk of them LCMS. So maybe the LCMS is just upgrading from Valpo to Notre Dame.

The LCMS has always supported Lutheran education much more than the denominations that formed the ELCA.  Trying to maintain a Lutheran presence is going to be harder if you distance yourself from the denomination that has the vast majority of Lutheran elementary and high schools.

It is also very interesting to me that shortly after President Heckler's inauguration this history of the university by VU Historian Richard Baepler was taken down from the website. We now have this rather nondescript VU history

In many ways the university is moving forward in directions that I appreciate.  We can be prouder then ever in our sports teams and the direction they are moving.  Facilities are improving almost daily and the addition of the hospital campus is surely a big plus.  However, it is not the Lutheran university that I attended in the late 70's.  I would love to hear Dr. Nagel's Australian accented voice booming through the chapel just one more time.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

sliman

Without commenting pro or con on FWalum's concerns about Valpo's position relative to Lutheran theology, it should be noted that the capsule history he describes as a "nondescript VU history" was part of the web site before Heckler became president.  I don't believe that Baepler's history ever was on the web site, although perhaps excerpts were there during the 150th anniversary year.

FWalum

Quote from: sliman on September 20, 2011, 11:01:08 PM
Without commenting pro or con on FWalum's concerns about Valpo's position relative to Lutheran theology, it should be noted that the capsule history he describes as a "nondescript VU history" was part of the web site before Heckler became president.  I don't believe that Baepler's history ever was on the web site, although perhaps excerpts were there during the 150th anniversary year.
You are incorrect about Baepler's history.  I still have the bookmark. http://www.valpo.edu/oia/valpo_w00/p14.html   Of course it leads to an error page now.

vu72

While I have great respect for the thoughtful posts of our friend FWalum, his recent post needs some counterpoint information concerning Valpo, and in particular the views of the uninformed who posted messages on the blog he quoted.

Where to start?  In reply #10, the author wrote "...I would sooner send my son or daughter to a secular university"  Really?  On what basis?  To graduate from Valpo the students need to take a whoping TWO theology classes (which was the same requirement as when I started at Valpo in 1967) If the parent quoted had students wanting to become LCMS clergy then perhaps Valpo may not be the best choice although there are still many students who persue the clergy after graduation.
As for things being so different since the days of OP and Nagel, let me tell another short story:  A very good friend and fellow Valpo grad was a member of an LCMS congregation prior to going to Valpo and still is a member and now a part of the leadership.  As a student he was advised by his pastor in 1967 that if he went to Valpo to certainly not listen to any of the theology profs as they were way off the beaten LCMS path.  Sounds like the views of the LCMS clergy haven't changed much in 44 years.

Poster #10 goes on to say "the theology faculty will seek to contradict the doctrinal position of the LCMS"  See my analysis above. Nonetheless, lets take a look at the theology faculty for a moment.

http://www.valpo.edu/theology/faculty/index.php

Of the 14 full time faculty, 5 are graduates of Concordia Seminary and 3 are graduates of the Lutheran School of Theology in Chicago.  Others come from lesser institutions like the Princton Theological Seminary or The University of Hamburg, which is deep in the heart of LCMS territory in northern Germany.
People like the distinguished national lecturer and author, Walt Wangerin, would fall into distrust because, even though he he was a member of the LCMS, he fell by the wayside and now is part of the ELCA.

Lets move along to poster #10's next observation:  It has a Greek system of frats that are every bit as hedonistic as any secular campus"  Huh???  The frat houses aren't even allowed to have kegs!!  When FWalum was on campus the frats were out of control but the campus was much closer to the LCMS?? Here is the website for scholarship at the PHI PSI house on campus. I am a member of same.

http://www.valpophipsi.org/pkp/scholarship.htm

The house has a combined GPA of 3.1 and finished second!!  The students of today are much more involved in volunteer work as demonstrated by our rank of 11th nationally as posted recently:   http://www.valpo.edu/news/news.php?releaseId=4665

Poster #14 said:  "Valpo is independent only in the sense that it is not formally affiliated with any denomination.  In practical terms it is 100% an ELCA instituiton."  Really?  How much do we recieve from the ELCA?  The answer:  ZERO The ELCA has its own schools and certainly wouldn't promote Valpo.

Let me say something else about the communication with the LCMS.  When President Heckler was elected, one of his first moves was to name Mark Schwein Provost.  If my memory serves me right, Mark is from Fort Wayne.  Here is part of what President Heckler said after that appointment:

"In addition, he knows Valparaiso University deeply and has a thorough understanding of what it means to be a Lutheran institution of higher education. In fact, as the son of a Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod pastor, a Valpo graduate, and a scholar of church-related higher education, he brings a valuable perspective to our thinking about what it will mean to be a Lutheran university in the decades ahead."

The discussion is similar to some I've heard regarding Notre Dame.  Trust me on this, there are MANY Catholics who would NEVER send their children to ND because it simply isn't "catholic enough" nor follows in lock step the teachings of Rome and the Pope.
In conclusion, I would suggest those of you concerned with the distancing of Valpo from the LCMS and Fort Wayne in particular,  contact Mark Schwehn directly.  He is a great guy.
In the meantime, GO VALPO!!

FWalum

QuoteWhile I have great respect for the thoughtful posts of our friend FWalum, his recent post needs some counterpoint information concerning Valpo, and in particular the views of the uninformed who posted messages on the blog he quoted.

vu72, I hope that you and everyone here realizes that I still support Valpo.  It is widely known at my congregation, St. Paul's (the same St. Paul's mentioned in Dr. Baepler's history), that if you have a question, concern or comment about VU I am one of the guys to contact.  I have encouraged the interviewing and hiring of church workers with Valpo educations and connections in our schools.  At every opportunity I have encouraged Concordia High School students to apply to VU.  What I was trying to portray in my post was the growing perception here that Valpo is no longer a place LCMS parents, teachers and pastors can support.  I do not share that opinion, I just wish I could get a little help without asking, but then again, as it was suggested earlier, perhaps I need to do just that.

:lol:  :lol:
QuoteAs for things being so different since the days of OP and Nagel, let me tell another short story:  A very good friend and fellow Valpo grad was a member of an LCMS congregation prior to going to Valpo and still is a member and now a part of the leadership.  As a student he was advised by his pastor in 1967 that if he went to Valpo to certainly not listen to any of the theology profs as they were way off the beaten LCMS path.  Sounds like the views of the LCMS clergy haven't changed much in 44 years.
I was told the exact same thing by the father of one of my friends, a very conservative FW pastor, in 1975.  In fact he later wanted me to talk his son out of transferring to VU!

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on September 21, 2011, 11:13:13 AM
QuoteWhile I have great respect for the thoughtful posts of our friend FWalum, his recent post needs some counterpoint information concerning Valpo, and in particular the views of the uninformed who posted messages on the blog he quoted.

vu72, I hope that you and everyone here realizes that I still support Valpo.  It is widely known at my congregation, St. Paul's (the same St. Paul's mentioned in Dr. Baepler's history), that if you have a question, concern or comment about VU I am one of the guys to contact.  I have encouraged the interviewing and hiring of church workers with Valpo educations and connections in our schools.  At every opportunity I have encouraged Concordia High School students to apply to VU.  What I was trying to portray in my post was the growing perception here that Valpo is no longer a place LCMS parents, teachers and pastors can support.  I do not share that opinion, I just wish I could get a little help without asking, but then again, as it was suggested earlier, perhaps I need to do just that.

Understood and appreciated!

agibson

I'll have to come back to this thread when I have some spare time - it's gotten fairly meaty.

A couple of quick Q's.  What forum were those quotes taken from?

And, re Norman Nagel.  The mention of his accent reaffirms my memory of his nationality.  What's his history with the LCMS?  Was he LCMS before coming to Valpo?

P.S.  I think he was a neighbor of my grandparents down in St. Louis, but I've been known to lose track of exactly who lived in that particular retirement community.