• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Joe Burton Suspended

Started by NativeCheesehead, December 20, 2017, 07:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusadermoe

Tarkanian?   I missed that one.  :) 

VUGrad1314

Is this related to Burton's tweet or to his well-wishes for Linssen? Everybody's being so cryptic. Are we about to get some big positive news?

https://twitter.com/TheReal_MG3/status/996530742611136513

vu84v2

There are a variety of very good points here regarding giving Burton a second chance, assuming that the basketball program and the university are OK with it. These are thoughtful and caring points. However, I would add the following requirement for Burton to come back:

Burton needs to address the entire university and Valpo basketball community. In his address, he must:
1. Specifically state what the issues were that caused him to be suspended.
2. Express honest and sincere remorse.
3. Explain what he has done to remedy the issues.
4. Explain what he intends to do going forward to prevent this from happening again.

A statement like this supports the integrity of the basketball program and the university. It would also show that Burton has grown from the experience.

However, given privacy laws regarding student information I am doubtful that this will even happen.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 15, 2018, 07:42:25 PM
Is this related to Burton's tweet or to his well-wishes for Linssen? Everybody's being so cryptic. Are we about to get some big positive news?

https://twitter.com/TheReal_MG3/status/996530742611136513

Nope. Probably has to do with this news. The VU coaches and players probably just heard the news...

https://twitter.com/Marcus_R_Fuller/status/996551141205954560

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu84v2 on May 15, 2018, 07:57:29 PM
There are a variety of very good points here regarding giving Burton a second chance, assuming that the basketball program and the university are OK with it. These are thoughtful and caring points. However, I would add the following requirement for Burton to come back:

Burton needs to address the entire university and Valpo basketball community. In his address, he must:
4. Explain what he intends to do going forward to prevent this from happening again.

A statement like this supports the integrity of the basketball program and the university. It would also show that Burton has grown from the experience.

However, given privacy laws regarding student information I am doubtful that this will even happen.

You're absurd on every single point you make.  I'm sorry, this is my emotional response but he doesn't owe you a darn thing unless you single handedly finance the VU basketball program.

I still like your morals, but wowza...

agibson

Quote from: vu84v2 on May 15, 2018, 07:57:29 PMBurton needs to address the entire university and Valpo basketball community. In his address, he must:

If he was kicked out for a criminal offense or something, maybe. If it was for not making the grades, and he was putting in a plausible effort, this seems more than a little far-fetched.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: agibson on May 15, 2018, 08:42:07 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on May 15, 2018, 07:57:29 PMBurton needs to address the entire university and Valpo basketball community. In his address, he must:
If he was kicked out for a criminal offense or something, maybe. If it was for not making the grades, and he was putting in a plausible effort, this seems more than a little far-fetched.

And more than a little insulting... And this is coming from someone who was extremely disappointed in him when this all happened last semester. I'd say his tweet if it leads to requalification and return is enough evidence of the remorse you seek.

VU2014

I could see maybe Joe apologizing privately to his teammates and coaches when he initially found out he wouldn't be eligible, but not publicly to the University or the fans. It's unfortunate about his grades slipping but he doesn't owe us an apology. We (at least I) don't know enough to fully judge the situation. I've only heard anecdotal stuff. I think the fanbase would definitely welcome him back if he could get his academics straighten out.

covufan

There are many students, including some student-athletes, that have taken a semester away from studies to reflect or adjust their priorities, and come back ready to continue their goal of getting a degree. We don't know all of the circumstances, nor should we. As far as I can tell, Mr Burton has not asked for release from his NLI, asked to transfer to CC (or other), kept in BB condition, kept in contact with teammates via Twitter, and hasn't been on the police blotter in the last 5 months. If any other student left under similar circumstances, wouldn't they have been allowed one semester to right things prior to expulsion?  Wouldn't that student also be given an opportunity after a semester away (to reflect and reprioritize)?  If so, shouldn't we in the basketball fan community welcome said athlete/student back? 

Only his teammates and coaches can answer the question of whether he personally let them down, and when they accept him back. This is about building and keeping trust, and an excellent learning and leadership opportunity for all concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbtds

I am also guarded in my optimism about Joe coming back and being able to perform academically. I do understand really well why someone would think that Joe has already been given an opportunity to compete on the MBB at Valpo and fulfill his academic requirements which he couldn't do. When so many others could fill that scholarship spot, which is a privilege to receive, and fulfill their academic requirements AND help the VUMBB perform to a higher level and not lose their spot. Joe lost his spot because he didn't do what others could have done for VU MBB, keep his spot on the team.

I chose to trust in the judgement of the Valpo coaches but Joe hasn't done anything to deserve a 2nd chance when others could have filled his spot and gotten a degree from Valpo and been an outstanding Christian citizen.

If Joe comes back plays for Valpo and completes his degree sometime in the future then I will feel good that we let him get a Valpo education and that Joe helped the team. But I will always remember he took a spot from another student who could have completed obligations Joe did NOT.

VULB#62

Wait.

Maybe we took a talented an academically borderline transfer and hoped it would work out. It looked good at first, but stuff happens.   Not the result we were hoping for. But the kid dosen't lose sight of what he wants. He tries hard and gets academically eligible so he can rejoin teammates he has bonded with and a school he enjoys. 

Why deny him or cast a cloud over this?  This could be a classic story of "there are no coincidences."  If he, indeed, comes back, what greater measure is there of a commitment to Valpo?

vu84v2

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 15, 2018, 08:25:33 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on May 15, 2018, 07:57:29 PM

You're absurd on every single point you make.  I'm sorry, this is my emotional response but he doesn't owe you a darn thing unless you single handedly finance the VU basketball program.

I still like your morals, but wowza...

He does not own me a darn thing...but if he were to come back he owes it to the university and the basketball program. Each of these points could be made in one or two sentences. I am all for a second chance, and this would be the best example of what a man with character would do.

VU2014

Some more disappointing news. It sounds like a Burton reunion is very unlikely. Not too surprising, but all the speculation the last couple days got my hopes up that there was a glimmer of hope. I hope Joe lands a opportunity somewhere.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/996761376872894464

M

(insert sad trombone sound)

bbtds

JD24

Quote from: vu84v2 on May 15, 2018, 07:57:29 PMThere are a variety of very good points here regarding giving Burton a second chance, assuming that the basketball program and the university are OK with it. These are thoughtful and caring points. However, I would add the following requirement for Burton to come back: Burton needs to address the entire university and Valpo basketball community. In his address, he must: 1. Specifically state what the issues were that caused him to be suspended. 2. Express honest and sincere remorse. 3. Explain what he has done to remedy the issues. 4. Explain what he intends to do going forward to prevent this from happening again. A statement like this supports the integrity of the basketball program and the university. It would also show that Burton has grown from the experience. However, given privacy laws regarding student information I am doubtful that this will even happen.

This is complete nonsense. If he's deemed eligible to play and reinstated, he should show up and play. He doesn't owe a public explanation to anyone.