• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #22 - Wednesday Jan 24 7pm ARC - Evansville on ESPN3

Started by VU2014, January 21, 2018, 07:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on January 26, 2018, 03:37:40 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on January 26, 2018, 03:31:18 PM
Quote from: bbtds on January 26, 2018, 03:20:13 PM
I knew I would have to keep repeating this for 3 to 5 years. LET JAVON BE JAVON!

Agreed. I was just pointing out that if we got similar level of production from Tevonn's freshman year I'd be happy. They're games are different. I feel like there is already a considerable amount of expectations on the young man and he hasn't even finished his senior year of high school yet.

With accolades come expectations.  Good or bad. If we looked back on the expectations of Alec Peters I think you would be able to read similar comments.

I think there tends to be a bit more hype on the Chicago recruiting websites than say the Central Illinois recruiting websites.

VU2014

A couple "highlights" from the Aces forum. Side Note to Aces fans that think our programs isn't up to snuff: Our previous 3 Horizon League teams would have knocked Evansville on it's own @$$ home and away... http://www.purpleacesfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1272

It was interesting to read the Evansville fan-bases perspective. They have some passionate fans and a lot of them aren't very happy with the state of their program and Marty Simmons. What also blew my is hearing that I guess some fans aren't happy with the Ford Center lol. Wow. I'm personally not a fan of the atmosphere of mid-major college programs playing in big over half empty hockey arenas like that but all things considered that's a nice arena.

QuoteRe: Game Thread: Aces @ Valpo 1/24 @ 7 pm
Postby NumbersDontLie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:34 pm

Anyone that has complaints about the Ford Center needs to check out Valpo's facilities tonight. They play in a glorified HS gym that would be the envy every D3 school around. Of course that means nothing in the grand scheme of things, and their capacity (5,000) would probably be big enough to house UE's home crowd most games.

We'll see how we match up with their size.

Postby indymoon » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:52 pm

You're right and it looks like all bleachers except for lower level across from benches.

Postby muni cup14 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:03 pm

So far i believe i found a MVC team worse than UE . :roll:  :roll:

Postby svmar10 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:04 pm

When Valpo comes here to play I want all of you arena whiners to explain to their fans how bad we have it playing in the pitiful "Ford Center". Geez Louise!

Postby Ad1770 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:09 pm

Color me impressed with this first half. Valpo is still in the mold of a Horizon League team, but UE has looked pretty good this half. (Qualifier, it took Loyola 4 years to fully have a MVC style team, I can see it being the same time span for Valpo.)

This does not change my stance on Marty though.

Postby Aces101 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:03 pm

Sorry Valpo - you're not in the Horizon League anymore

Re: Game Thread: Aces @ Valpo 1/24 @ 7 pm
Postby pafan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:16 pm

Quoteacecard wrote:
I still think they are a Thursday team.

No question.

Tonight's game was won at the free throw line. The Aces scored 46 from the floor and 29 from the stripe; Valpo scored 53 from the floor and 12 from the line. Which isn't an especially exciting brand of basketball, but it works if you can earn the calls.

Postby Ad1770 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:41 pm

Hammer, meet nail. They didn't shy away from the contact on the offensive end, and earned every free throw tonight. This doesn't make up for the two games dropped at home, but it helps.

Still doesn't change my position, and it won't, but I will take the win. After all, I did pick UE to win 6 conference games this year.

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:45 pm

Any road win in the Valley is a good one even if it is against a rookie team from the Horizon League. Valpo is not yet used to MVC play and they should be the team that finishes last this year. It is not going to be Drake, the surprise of the season so far.

We need to hold serve at home the rest of the season and find a way to finish 6th and stay out of the Thursday game, this has to be the goal the rest of the way. I did not watch the game or listen to it but it sounds familiar to the two home games we won where we had a couple bigs in the lineup.

Go Aces..way to get a W on the road.

Postby muni cup14 » Yesterday 5:26 am

How did Valpo. beat Drake.A win is a win,but man was this game was ugly.
I think the commentater made a misstake,he ssid their were about 700
UE fans who made the trip.

Postby pafan » Today 12:55 pm

The MVC as a whole plays slow. Especially UE, UNI, and Drake under Ray Giacolleti. There was a season maybe 3 or 4 years back when the MVC set a new NCAA record for fewest possessions per game for a conference.

That doesn't help Aces games look exciting.

FieldGoodie05

Watched the first half to see Mileek.  He's got a long way to progress before he can be kept on the floor with consistency.

Coach must have him as first man back on defense after an offensive possession, because he never once crashed the boards.  He stood around without fail.  I'm thinking he's more aggressive than that, but wow.

Defensively he's just a big body at this point.  But I have faith.

Offensively, 75% of the time he stood in a ready position at the three point line by the Evansville bench.  Now I'm sure partly that's within our scheme, but what a waste.  I think coach is afraid to have him set picks, because he usually runs over the defender or tries to eat them.

A LOT of game awareness and experience until he can play big minutes.  I also found myself getting caught up in FINALLY SOMEONE IS SCORING.  But if he can't make consistent defensive stops then he's only going to get 12 minutes a game.

I still really like Mileek and Linssen, but they are both PF and both huge projects.  Is Fazekas fast enough to Guard the SF position?

Ideally Mileek might be able to Guard SF, but not this year.  He would truck them...

FieldGoodie05

Next year, speculating starters minutes

Bakari (exp Jr)
Javon (exp Frosh)
Golder (exp Soph)
Fazekas (exp Jr)
Two headed monsters (exp Jr)

In this scenario Fazekas, Javon and Bakari can fill it up offensively.  Golder will get less streaky and the bigs aren't a liability.

This years team has nothing but inexperienced liability with Tevonn getting hounded.  I'm optimistic.

valpotx

Yes, our last three HL teams would have beat the snot out of Evansville, as well as most of the other MVC teams.  I love it when people think that our struggle this year is due to changing conferences.  We would be middle of the pack in the HL this season without Burton, which leads to last in the MVC at this point.  It isn't like we would be the best team in the HL, and are showing that the best HL team is last in the MVC.  What morons...
"Don't mess with Texas"