• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #21 - Sunday Jan 21 3pm ARC - Loyola on ESPN-U

Started by talksalot, January 18, 2018, 01:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Yikes...
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/955180050764238850
https://twitter.com/THefferman/status/955179949421465600

Todd said on the radio it's a good sized crowd but Paul's tweet says otherwise. Valpo Basketball going head-to-head with NFL Championship sunday.

VU2014

Quote from: wh on January 21, 2018, 02:51:44 PM
Pathetic student showing. < half full 3 min. before starting 5 announcement.

I've been saying it for a while. This has to be one of the number 1 concerns for the Athletics Department. They need to get students more involved and indoctrinate the students and make it known it's an expectation the 1st week they are on campus. They also need to work with Greek Life to figure this out because we need those student groups to show up and not have their recruitment events on the same day. Would love to see them have a student marketing class work on this as a class project.

Be proactive.

Edit: it actually looks like a pretty solid crowd today. The crowd is loud and into the game!  :thumbsup:

VUSWIM08-12

coming out SCARED...WHYYYYY...smits keeping us in it

VU2014

A good defensive game from both teams so far. Love the energy and effort today.

But once again. Water is wet and Valpo fouls a 3 point shooter  :'(

a3uge

Valpo will learn - in the MVC the way to win is to flop over after every jump shot.

valpolaw

I've never seen a team foul three point shooters so much. Max just did it and Kiser is lucky his wasn't called earlier.

a3uge

Guy on Loyola traveled twice in the same possession. Lottich should have lost it and got a technical

VU2014

There is a Valpo recruit from Toronto here. I didn't catch the name on the broadcast. An alumni name Marco Pundos  ??? (I know i butchered the spelling) is at the game also. Todd mentioned it on the radio.

The radio broadcast is so much more enjoyable.

FieldGoodie05

Offensively Inept, hard to watch.  Welcome to the MVC guys, you all wanted this.  Albeit, we'd be having difficulty in the HL too.

P.S.  Tevonn is not a #1 scorer, period.  I'd take 3 of him on the team, but we have no consistent shooting.

I'm a littler nervous for leadership on next years team...

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 21, 2018, 04:18:56 PM
Offensively Inept, hard to watch.  Welcome to the MVC guys, you all wanted this.  Albeit, we'd be having difficulty in the HL too.

P.S.  Tevonn is not a #1 scorer, period.  I'd take 3 of him on the team, but we have no consistent shooting.

I'm a littler nervous for leadership on next years team...

Can't worry about leadership. Leadership comes from unexpected places. But agreed Tevonn is not an ideal #1. He's a good #3 and very very good perimeter defender. He just isn't a good shooter. Streaky at best. Still a very good player.

VU2014

Golder NEEDS to learn to not force those drives to the hoop!! The opposing teams know to take the charge. STOP doing that!

a3uge

Quote from: VU2014 on January 21, 2018, 04:35:50 PM
Golder NEEDS to learn to not force those drives to the hoop!! The opposing teams know to take the charge. STOP doing that!
Baseline cuts in college basketball are usually a bad idea, because 99% of the time it'll be called a charge.

a3uge

Smits interior defense has not been helpful at all. He's getting worked down low.

VU2014

We need to be honest. There was a talent differential in this game. Loyola had more talent and was more experienced.

I hope the coaches are hitting the recruiting trail hard and is recruiting some shooters.

FieldGoodie05

Ok, shake off the frustration and get better.  On to Stranger Things season 2!

valpotx

Quote from: VU2014 on January 21, 2018, 04:09:36 PM
There is a Valpo recruit from Toronto here. I didn't catch the name on the broadcast. An alumni name Marco Pundos  ??? (I know i butchered the spelling) is at the game also. Todd mentioned it on the radio.

The radio broadcast is so much more enjoyable.

Marko Punda was in school when I was, and is Toni Kukoc's cousin, who played for the Bulls.  He was an end of the bench type of guy, but a quality guy overall.  Did they mention why he was there?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/marko-punda-1.html

Another bad effort by our guys.  When Loyola went small, our lack of adjustment killed this one.
"Don't mess with Texas"

PlumStreetBum

I've been hoping all year that the offense would eventually start to click, but I'm finally coming to grips with reality: none of these guys is a true scorer. This is a very athletic team, but we need to find some basketball players to put in the mix.

vu72

Loyola Coach Moser:  "In this league you need to keep getting better"

And we are not.  3 point shooting?  Terrible   Free throw shooting?  Terrible  Turnovers?  Terrible

We played about as good as we can and` lost by 15.  We are not very good and just don't have the weapons this year.

Finally in this rant: ESPN must be going down the tubes.  When you show the same ad 25 times in one game, your advertising revenue must really suck.  I need a drink...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NativeCheesehead

Our half court offense is so ineffective, Congress is suing us for trademark infringement.

nkvu

Another nationally televised beat down.

But hey, didn't we get our butts kicked the first couple years in the Horizon League?

VUSL98

3 points from the bench.  Smits got burned inside too many times.  No movement on offense.  Who is going to step it up?  I hear it said we are athletic.  Tell me how to draw that conclusion. 

valpospartan

Quote from: wh on January 21, 2018, 02:51:44 PM
Pathetic student showing. < half full 3 min. before starting 5 announcement.

It didn't get much better by game time.  I estimate the student section was 2/3 full.  Those that were there were fairly loud, just not enough of the seats were filled.  I don't understand how there can't be 200 fans out of 4000+ students.   Pathetic.

a3uge

Quote from: nkvu on January 21, 2018, 05:01:28 PM
Another nationally televised beat down.

But hey, didn't we get our butts kicked the first couple years in the Horizon League?
Again, nobody was watching this game on "national television"