• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #21 - Sunday Jan 21 3pm ARC - Loyola on ESPN-U

Started by talksalot, January 18, 2018, 01:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Death taxes and Valpo getting worked on National TV. I always get up for these games thinking it'll be different this time, and it isn't. I was excited for all the TV games because I thought they would help recruiting but they won't if you're constantly getting whipped especially at home. Stupid fouls, silly turnovers, poor shot selection and MISSED FREE THROWS. It drives me absolutely CRAZY how bad this team is from the line. Loyola goes small we jack up threes get out of rhythm and Loyola goes on a run. Smits punishes them in the post a few times we go away from him start settling for jumpers and Smits doesn't touch the ball for several minutes. Why?! The way this team runs its offense is absolutely confusing and infuriating. Defensively our rotations were poor and we gave up way too many open 3's to a great outside shooting team. Additionally we had no answer for them as they drove to the hoop. Just another disappointing day in a disappointing season that started with so much promise  and  optimism. Hopefully these are all just growing pains and we'll be better next season. Go Valpo!

nkvu

Quote from: a3uge on January 21, 2018, 05:44:32 PM
Quote from: nkvu on January 21, 2018, 05:01:28 PM
Another nationally televised beat down.

But hey, didn't we get our butts kicked the first couple years in the Horizon League?
Again, nobody was watching this game on "national television"

That may be the only good thing about this game.

valpopal

Quote from: valpospartan on January 21, 2018, 05:38:09 PM
Quote from: wh on January 21, 2018, 02:51:44 PM
Pathetic student showing. < half full 3 min. before starting 5 announcement.

It didn't get much better by game time.  I estimate the student section was 2/3 full.  Those that were there were fairly loud, just not enough of the seats were filled.  I don't understand how there can't be 200 fans out of 4000+ students.   Pathetic.

You are being too generous. There were way more Loyola fans than Valpo students. The students were spread out in their seating, otherwise the section was only about 1/2 full of capacity. Either way, as you say, "pathetic," especially with a giveaway of free shirts on a Sunday afternoon that is warm for January and a nationally televised game.

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on January 21, 2018, 04:40:47 PMSmits interior defense has not been helpful at all. He's getting worked down low.
At least Derrik was trying to keep up and defend while Jay played flat footed. That is the explanation for the very few minutes Jay was given. Their small center play reminded me of what Adekoya could give us both under and away from the basket.

valpotx

We had just 1 bad season while in the HL, which was our second season of 2008-2009.  We were at or above .500 in league play during every other year.  It wasn't due to an increase in competition, but rather several key players having left after the previous season.  Similar to SIU, I believe that was the season we had to bring someone in from intramurals, and the dude played in around 10 games.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

All I know is we'd better beat freaking Evansville at home this week.

valporun

Quote from: a3uge on January 21, 2018, 04:40:19 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on January 21, 2018, 04:35:50 PM
Golder NEEDS to learn to not force those drives to the hoop!! The opposing teams know to take the charge. STOP doing that!
Baseline cuts in college basketball are usually a bad idea, because 99% of the time it'll be called a charge.

I'm guessing a lot of Golder's game is stuff that worked for him in JUCO. It hasn't quite gotten to his head that this NCAA D-I basketball isn't JUCO basketball. Can't get away with the high school stuff here.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valporun on January 21, 2018, 06:20:50 PM
Golder NEEDS to learn to not force those drives to the hoop!! The opposing teams know to take the charge. STOP doing that!
Baseline cuts in college basketball are usually a bad idea, because 99% of the time it'll be called a charge.

I'm guessing a lot of Golder's game is stuff that worked for him in JUCO. It hasn't quite gotten to his head that this NCAA D-I basketball isn't JUCO basketball. Can't get away with the high school stuff here.

Sometimes pure athletes don't have a basketball IQ.  They lean on their superior athleticism....now we get to see if Golder can progress between the ears.  I'm still high on his future, he is gritty (and loud) but I like what he brings to the table.

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 21, 2018, 06:24:55 PM

Sometimes pure athletes don't have a basketball IQ.  They lean on their superior athleticism....now we get to see if Golder can progress between the ears.  I'm still high on his future, he is gritty (and loud) but I like what he brings to the table.

I'm high high on his future too but he needs be more disciplined then that. You could see what was going to happen from a mile away.

His game needs to evolve. He also needs to learn to finish with less dominant hand. It makes him so predictable when he only uses his right.  It makes it easier on the defender. He can and should get better with time. He needs to get out of his comfort zone in practice and don't just rely on his freakish athleticism when learning to finish.

VU2014

This is a completely unacceptable stat. Averaging 52 points is a joke. Losing Joe really hurt this team but it shouldn't hurt this bad. Get it together.

There is a level of expectations from the fan-base & this team isn't meeting it. I give this season as a bit of a pass but this team needs to get better. We also are going to need to start recruiting at a higher level. Javon Freeman looks like a great recruit but we to get guys that can shoot better from the outside. I'm basically just all around frustrated with this team. You can see the bigs starting to develop but this season is tough to watch sometimes.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/955210425339138053

talksalot

January 21, 2018
Valparaiso, Ind. (ARC)
Attendance: 4040

Here's the box... pick away... and oh, by the way    SOMEONE ELSE CAN START THE THREAD FOR THE ACES GAME ON WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/boxscore/2017-18/6614/loyola-vs-valpo-01-21-2018/

M

Saw Brandon and Javon at the game. At least two other recruits that I did not recognize. Wish this team would play faster and mix in the zone a few times throughout the game.

M

Middle school kids don't get beat backdoor 5 times in a game.

VU2014

Quote from: M on January 21, 2018, 07:17:43 PM
Middle school kids don't get beat backdoor 5 times in a game.

Was Javon and Brandon sitting together? I know we had a Canadian recruit at the game. Was it Quincy Guerrier? He's 2019 offer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0OXez7_u2s

a3uge

Quote from: VU2014 on January 21, 2018, 06:33:21 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 21, 2018, 06:24:55 PM

I'm high high on his future too but he needs be more disciplined then that. You could see what was going to happen from a mile away.

His game needs to evolve. He also needs to learn to finish with less dominant hand. It makes him so predictable when he only uses his right.  It makes it easier on the defender. He can and should get better with time. He needs to get out of his comfort zone in practice and don't just rely on his freakish athleticism when learning to finish.
I'll take Golder being overly aggressive and getting called for a charge over this garbage kill the clock, pass it around the perimeter for 20 seconds, force a late shot offense.

M

Not sure...one guy was shorter but looked pretty built, a max Joseph type build. Other guy I saw was 6'7ish and like 150 pounds (never saw a coach by him so maybe he wasn't a recruit).

Valpo89

I'm going to blame this loss on wearing road uniforms at home.
They suck on the road, and they sucked today at home wearing road uniforms.

VU2014

If anyone is interested in reading Loyola fans thoughts on this game, checkout their thread for this game. I always find it interesting to get the other fan-bases thoughts on the game.

http://www.ramblermania.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2172

VU2014

For as frustrating as today was for Valpo fans. Loyola played well and their a good team.

bigmosmithfan1

The FT shooting is inexcusable and singlehandedly kept us from making a late run today. FIX THAT. FT shooting is *not* difficult, no matter what anyone tells you. 100 percent mechanics, repetition and muscle memory.

On a more generous note, I will say how much I enjoyed watching Loyola's team today, despite being on the receiving end of it. Tough, smart, defend like crazy, and came in with a clear game plan and executed it. Reminded me of a smaller version of those successful Bo Ryan teams at Wisconsin (by "smaller" I simply mean they don't have guards who are 6-9).

VU2014

VUGrad1314

I wonder if a team like Loyola Missouri State or Drake  really puts a stranglehold on first place in the conference  they can get some at-large consideration.

valpopal

Joseph, McMillan, Bradford, Sorolla, Golder, and Kiser played a combined 96 minutes, but they scored only 3 baskets: 1 basket every 32 minutes. You could give intramural players 96 minutes and it is hard to imagine they would not do better.  :(

M

I think what concerns me most is that our most athletic team in years (ever?) looked slow. Real slow.

VU2014

Quote from: valpopal on January 21, 2018, 10:28:21 PM
Joseph, McMillan, Bradford, Sorolla, Golder, and Kiser played a combined 96 minutes, but they scored only 3 baskets: 1 basket every 32 minutes. You could give intramural players 96 minutes and it is hard to imagine they would not do better.  :(

But... but... the strength of this team is our depth...

That narrative went away quickly when we made it to conference play.