• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #21 - Sunday Jan 21 3pm ARC - Loyola on ESPN-U

Started by talksalot, January 18, 2018, 01:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

This has been bugging me  a lot lately? What's wrong with Sorolla this year? Is he hurt? Is it a mental issue? Or is he just not very good ?

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 21, 2018, 10:46:29 PM
This has been bugging me  a lot lately? What's wrong with Sorolla this year? Is he hurt? Is it a mental issue? Or is he just not very good ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvtK17hlnfY

VUGrad1314

valpotx

Sorolla is very much like Raitis Grafs, except Raitis was loads more talented.  Both seem to care and push themselves on occasion, but Jay can't get by on natural talent like Raitis could, whenever he felt like going 50%.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on January 21, 2018, 11:41:19 PM
Sorolla is very much like Raitis Grafs, except Raitis was loads more talented.  Both seem to care and push themselves on occasion, but Jay can't get by on natural talent like Raitis could, whenever he felt like going 50%.

I'm thinking it may just be personality more then effort. Jay doesn't seem to have a lot "inner-drive" at times. He just like a pretty mellow kid who doesn't have any aggression in him. Honestly I hope the opposing team talks so much trash it gets him angry or something to get him going. Maybe it is effort, idk.

Maybe needs a good heckler to get him angry.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9S7ScQfjSk

elephtheria47

Every game is a battle and there are no off nights. Hopefully this opens our eyes to what needs to happen in the future. mvc is stocked with talent and coaches. we have a ways to go. Disappointing to watch this game and it was another bad showing on national tv. Props to loyola - -- they brought it

valpo64

After a couple of good games offensively, Bradford seems like he is back at his "old" game....not playing with confidence, long rainbow threes, turnovers and often times no defense...our guys still seem they are not confident in their shooting, even looking like it at the free throw line...Kiser passed up a number of open shorter range shots that he appeared to be afraid to take....Smits seems to be having more good minutes while Sorolla is tentative when he is in...I guess we have to remember this team's youth when it comes to their inconsistent play...but FREE THROW SHOOTING!!!!!!!!!!!!    Our post screens appear to be setting up higher and higher and once set up no one seems to know what to do next.  Micah did for a game or 2 but it sure was missing yesterday.  Offense, offense, offense and free throws , free throws, free throws...the lack of it drives me nuts!  But, let's give credit to Loyola because that is a very good team.

crusadermoe

I have had the same thoughts on Sorolla.  It seems like he has taken a big step back offensively.  He had a very effective baby hook last year. 

Loyola really impressed me on ESPN2.   I think Missouri State is equally talented and they have the Alize Johnson x factor.  But boy, I would bet on Loyola's poise and defense if they meet in the MVC finals.   Great coaching by Moser and he obviously has drafted a lot of instinctive kids who play hard. 

We just couldn't punch through on anything except Bakari's unique ability to drive with his left hand and get the ball on the rim.  That's not enough.  If Smits could play with even minimal consistency or defensive and rebounding intensity he could be a monster.  There were instances where he just backpedaled against a driving Loyola player.  At other times, he was just way too slow pursuing a rebound.

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on January 22, 2018, 10:16:20 AM
After a couple of good games offensively, Bradford seems like he is back at his "old" game....not playing with confidence, long rainbow threes, turnovers and often times no defense...our guys still seem they are not confident in their shooting, even looking like it at the free throw line...Kiser passed up a number of open shorter range shots that he appeared to be afraid to take....Smits seems to be having more good minutes while Sorolla is tentative when he is in...I guess we have to remember this team's youth when it comes to their inconsistent play...but FREE THROW SHOOTING!!!!!!!!!!!!    Our post screens appear to be setting up higher and higher and once set up no one seems to know what to do next.  Micah did for a game or 2 but it sure was missing yesterday.  Offense, offense, offense and free throws , free throws, free throws...the lack of it drives me nuts!  But, let's give credit to Loyola because that is a very good team.

Oh come on!  You are being way to hard on Micah.  Heck, he made a free throw and is up to almost 45%! 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on January 22, 2018, 11:54:33 AM
Oh come on!  You are being way to hard on Micah.  Heck, he made a free throw and is up to almost 45%! 

That Free Throw % is so pathetic all I can do is laugh. I kid you not I am a better free throw shooter then a D1 basketball player and that doesn't say much for my abilities.

This season has been a train wreck for Micah Bradford. He honestly needs to visit a sports psychologist. These issues have to be do to confidence issues. He was making an impact as a distributor for a few games but yesterday was a joke. He had one nice drive to the hoop and that's all I saw. Loyola picked his pocket a couple times and made him look like a rec league player. There is confidence issues there.

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on January 21, 2018, 10:43:56 PM
Quote from: valpopal on January 21, 2018, 10:28:21 PM
Joseph, McMillan, Bradford, Sorolla, Golder, and Kiser played a combined 96 minutes, but they scored only 3 baskets: 1 basket every 32 minutes. You could give intramural players 96 minutes and it is hard to imagine they would not do better.  :(

But... but... the strength of this team is our depth...

That narrative went away quickly when we made it to conference play.

Well, there was Tevonn's mono. And Kiser's ankle. And Burton.

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on January 21, 2018, 06:10:17 PM
We had just 1 bad season while in the HL, which was our second season of 2008-2009.  We were at or above .500 in league play during every other year.  It wasn't due to an increase in competition, but rather several key players having left after the previous season.  Similar to SIU, I believe that was the season we had to bring someone in from intramurals, and the dude played in around 10 games.

I don't have immediate, clear memories of either season. But, wasn't the walk-on Nathan Stegelmann? The web suggests he played 2011-12.

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on January 21, 2018, 01:27:32 PM
Quote from: valpopal on January 21, 2018, 11:57:52 AM
Quote from: Just Sayin on January 21, 2018, 09:16:44 AM
Quote from: valpotx on January 20, 2018, 08:09:41 PM
Steinbrecher made us put an end to that chant during my time at Valpo...it was a classic, but made the older crowd cringe :)

I'm old but it still made me LMAO. Bring back the edge and creativity.

Nowadays there is far worse language in the lyrics of some songs played as musical fill during the sporting events.

Would anyone like to share what the cheer was? I'm definitely for more edgy & pushing the limits student section cheers.

It was just a canonical, for years, section of the "Hey" cheer. After you get done with the "Hey" section, the students used to chant "We're going to beat the hell out of you. Let's go Valpo, let's go valpo." Where they now chant "V-A-L P-A-R A-I-S O".

VU2014

The Happening Hoops crew is having a love-fest with Porter Moser and also takes a subtle shot at Coach Lottich.

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/955225408890396672
https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/955227225909026819
https://twitter.com/PorterMoser/status/955462867008016384
https://twitter.com/jnordbrock23/status/955536290497392640

But I do think Coach Lottich could learn a thing or two from Porter Moser on how he interacts with his Student Section... Bryce Drew was never the most outgoing guy but you could tell he made a conscious effort to interact with students at the cafeteria and student union. I'm not a student anymore so I don't know if Coach Lottich is doing those things but I get the sense he isn't. But to be honest I'm not sure the students deserve praise for their turnout the last 2 seasons. I also think it's weird that someone would expect praise.

I think Coach Gore has been strong at interacting with the students. It'd be a nice to see a little more of that from Coach Lottich and open up a little bit. We need to boost the Student Attendance and I think all hands should be on deck to fix this problem. We need some outside the box thinking.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteLoyola really impressed me on ESPN2.   I think Missouri State is equally talented and they have the Alize Johnson x factor.  But boy, I would bet on Loyola's poise and defense if they meet in the MVC finals.

This. The level of overall talent in the MVC is a significant step up than the HL and there are a number of good teams, but Loyola is the first Valley team we've played where I was saying to myself: "man, the Ramblers are legit and will do some damage if they get an opportunity in the postseason."

M

Loyola has more students at the game then Valpo did. Kudos to those that show up, the rest of the students to the pit of misery. Dilly dilly!

VU2014

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on January 22, 2018, 03:43:34 PM
QuoteLoyola really impressed me on ESPN2.   I think Missouri State is equally talented and they have the Alize Johnson x factor.  But boy, I would bet on Loyola's poise and defense if they meet in the MVC finals.

This. The level of overall talent in the MVC is a significant step up than the HL and there are a number of good teams, but Loyola is the first Valley team we've played where I was saying to myself: "man, the Ramblers are legit and will do some damage if they get an opportunity in the postseason."

I also think that the talent gap was glaring. But their guys were a well oil machine which has a lot to do with experience. They have a lot of upperclassmen on that team and they have a freshman big man who was a instant contributor. Their center Krutwig is incredibly polished and Lucas Williamson (Javon Freeman's HS teammate) isn't a liability out there. Loyola is building something. It took them 4 years to get the program headed in the right direction there. It was a serious uphill climb for that program in Valley. This season is the fruits of that labor for them.

There was a talent gap. That needs to be acknowledged. It was pretty clear that they were deeper. We have talent on our team but a lot of it is young and not fully developed yet. The gap will be closed over the next few years but we need to keep recruiting at high level to be contender in this league consistently. We landed a guy we hope to be a stud in Javon Freeman but we need to keep stacking recruiting classes. We also need these guys to have time to play together.

bigmosmithfan1

The last three games we are shooting an abysmal 24 percent from three point range and a pathetic 60 percent from the foul line.

valpo84

Maybe it's because I broadcasted 2 HS games on local cable this weekend where the 2 "home" teams we cover are struggling similarly to Valpo that I am becoming more empathetic to the team's plights this year. When you take out a top 3 projected scorer, you take out 80% of last year's offense, you step up in conference level of play, and you fill it with younger players and players who had not played in the program yet, there are going to be growing pains.  Positives, we continue to play with intensity and the D has generally been good, although concur with the comments about Smits' D yesterday, not sure what that is, but please, please, please play like you're 7 ft. At a minimum, don't reach out on a shooter, reach up, make them adjust the shot.  Smits' FT shooting and touch all day were more relaxed and showed the glimpses that we had hoped for.  Keep working.  Bradford should not shoot anything except within 5 feet.  It is not only that he is not making any 3s (literally), he's shooting them at poor times in the possessions.  To his defense yesterday, he picked up 2 early, twilight zone fouls and was rendered ineffective the rest of the game.  The other positive is that we were only down to a 16-4 team by 4 at the half, and had we had any other offense should have had a chance yesterday.  Loyola is good people.  They beat Florida...ON THE ROAD.  But for the little stretch with Custer (?) down, they could have an even better record.  They should be an at large consideration if they don't win the Valley.  I also concur with another poster that it is time to start playing with next year in mind.  Development of Smits, Golden, Bakari, McMillen, Sorolla needs to be the thought process.  Play some big guys together.  Bring back Marty with one of the Centers.  Bring back Hazen.  It can't be worse than watching 24% from 3.  We have been effective offensively when we pound it inside with the drive/dish or letting Smits get the ball early enough in the shot clock to be one on one or kick out of the double to a wing.  Teams will key on Tevonn the rest of the year. The Young need to step it up offensively.  (Your Stuart Smalley thoughts for the day....)
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Chairback

Interesting comments on Jay.  I think Jay's offensive issues has nothing to do with him, but the offense we run and our inability to get him the ball.  We have failed to put him into the position to score.  I believe he has more ability than Smits but is a victim of a crappy offense. When he does get the ball it's thrown at his feet from someone driving the lane or gets an impossible 1 foot pass.  How many times have we seen it passed over his head and out of bounds when he has good positon. 

Our offense is basically a handoff at the top of the key and someone eventually drives to the basket.  Teams have started to crowd the top of the key and just wait for us to turn it over or force a long bad shot. 

Our biggest issue is our offense gameplan plain and simple.  The team looks lost in it and it has no fluidity or motion to it. 

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Chairback on January 22, 2018, 06:41:01 PM
Interesting comments on Jay.  I think Jay's offensive issues has nothing to do with him, but the offense we run and our inability to get him the ball.  We have failed to put him into the position to score.  I believe he has more ability than Smits but is a victim of a crappy offense. When he does get the ball it's thrown at his feet from someone driving the lane or gets an impossible 1 foot pass.  How many times have we seen it passed over his head and out of bounds when he has good positon. 

Our offense is basically a handoff at the top of the key and someone eventually drives to the basket.  Teams have started to crowd the top of the key and just wait for us to turn it over or force a long bad shot. 

Our biggest issue is our offense gameplan plain and simple.  The team looks lost in it and it has no fluidity or motion to it.

Well said, I believe that Sorolla has a better overall game than Derrik.  I think coach put it best during an interview with Todd Ickow, there's something about European centers with the pass first mentality!!!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 22, 2018, 06:51:30 PM

Well said, I believe that Sorolla has a better overall game than Derrik.  I think coach put it best during an interview with Todd Ickow, there's something about European centers with the pass first mentality!!!

I believe Derrik is getting minutes because coach knows SOMEONE has to take high % shots, and Sorolla is playing pass first / defend ball.

Just Sayin

I'll say it again. The Chicago State of the MVC.

VU2014

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 22, 2018, 08:00:49 PM
I'll say it again. The Chicago State of the MVC.

I'm sorry but that is just an utterly stupid comment.

wh

Spot-on observations.