• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

National Conference Realignments

Started by valpopal, September 20, 2011, 09:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Eh, if this is anathema posting this on a "Lutheran board", I don't care.  (Y'all don't even have anathema anyway.)

But this should be the Catholic Conference and they should add Xavier, Dayton, SLU, Creighton (and twelfth?  Duquesne?  Siena? Loyola? Not Detroit, surely...) but not Butler/VCU. 

Lutherans can get behind this too because then it opens up a perfect slot for us to come back and HAHA BUTLER SLAPPIES YOU CAN'T SHAKE US PUNX

{rather than add Gonzaga, St Mary etc there should just be a WCCC--west coast catholic conference--with them, and Santa Clara, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle...and ... um...well crap just found a link and someone already thought of it}
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=15831
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

KL31NY

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 13, 2012, 10:34:01 PM
But this should be the Catholic Conference and they should add Xavier, Dayton, SLU, Creighton (and twelfth?  Duquesne?  Siena? Loyola? Not Detroit, surely...) but not Butler/VCU. 
The mill has produced some interesting news today. Dave Reynolds, a beat writer for Bradley (Missouri Valley), is reporting that announcements should be coming today concerning Creighton and Evansville. The word is that Creighton could join this "God Conference" as some are calling it and Evansville could be departing for the Horizon League.

Even more significant, Reynolds is projecting Valpo, UWM, Loyola, and UIC as potential replacements in the Valley should Creighton and Evansville depart. At this point, it seems mostly speculation but worth noting since word moves fast over social media. I certainly don't wanna jump the gun again like the "Anibal Sanchez to Cubs" debacle of the past 48 hours.

While no one with any of the schools involved is currently confirming any of this, this is some interesting potential news. At this point, Reynolds seems to be the only true source on this, but it's working its way around Twitter pretty well. This could be something to keep our eyes, ears open for...

"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

wh

IMO this whole greed-driven, conference-jumping exercise is a complete disgrace to Division-I athletics.  I will continue to watch it unfold because who knows how it may effect our league or our program, but I don't like anything about it. 

KL31NY

"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

VULB#62

In retrospect, maybe the HL waiting to announce Butler's replacement was the wise thing to do.  This environment is totally crazy right now.  Rick Pitino is quoted in ESPN that it's all about the mega football TV contracts.  Maybe it's best to separate the BCS schools from the no football D-I schools.  But who knows, in this crazy world, maybe the next league to fold could be the HL --- because they waited.  :crazy:

valporun

Rick Pitino is right about all of this being about football, but with the new playoff system coming, everyone wants in that money pool.

valpotx

Quote from: crusaderjoe on December 07, 2012, 03:09:06 PM
Quote from: Valposter on December 07, 2012, 11:38:20 AM
Quote from: milanmiracle on December 06, 2012, 12:01:01 PMIn the big picture though this is bad for all Mid Majors. The more teams the BCS conferences gobble up, the less interest and relevance the other teams have. Bigger conferences mean less out of conference opportunities for scheduling. Why play Valpo when you have a really tough conference season. Schedule more bottom feeder schools to pad the record and hope to be above .500 in conference. Notre Dame has been doing it for years anyway, and rightfully so. The gap between the haves and the have nots is getting wider every day.

Milanmiracle, if you want to take your concerns a step further.  Many in the national media are predicting that within 5-10 years that conference re-allignment will result in 4 Super Conferences, one each in the East, South, Midwest, and West.  You could imagine that being the ACC, SEC, Big 10, and Pac 10, repsectively.  With each conference having 16-20 teams.  And, at that point, those four Super Conferences would get together to broker a deal whereby they leave the NCAA, thereby cutting them out of the $3 billion dollars they are paid by member schools for administration and oversight of college athletics and the revenue they receive for television contracts for Bowl Games and March Madness.  So, the NCAA would be "left" with the remaining 200-250 mid-major programs, and NCAA March Madness has just turned into another NIT Tournament for also-rans.  In that scenario, the mid-majors would be completelly left out of the college football and college basketball post-season tournaments of relevance.

Just curious, but where is the Big 12 in your analysis? IMO, the Big 12 is in a much more stable position than the ACC is right now and if I had money, I'd bet it on the Big 12 as being one of the top four conferences.  The Big 12's grant of rights should provide it with more stability as a conference than the ACC's exit fee will (see Maryland).  It is funny how conference realignment can change perceptions on a dime or over a period of time.  A year or so ago I would have said the ACC is more stable but I don't think that is true any longer, unless of course ND becomes a full member or Texas decides to move to the Big 10 anyway as team #15.  Doubtful either of those will ever happen though.

I highly doubt Texas would leave for the Big 10.  No regional rivals for our state to care about.  Oklahoma and Texas are pretty much a joint package if they ever left, but I don't see it happening.  The ACC seems much more likely to lose more teams.  The only Big 12 teams I can see leaving eventually are WVU, Kansas, Iowa State, and Kansas State if anyone will have them.  All can be replaced by better teams, save WVU.
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

If you like to follow random realignment speculation try this link:

http://csnbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=637

valpotx

Good lord, if that is true...why???  The WAC has become an absolute joke of a conference
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Looking at UMKC's board, it is absolutely hilarious that any fan thinks that they have a chance at getting an MVC bid anytime in the next century:

http://umkcroos.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=551
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

thats a weird move, especially since Denver left to join the summit. 
CRUSADERS!!!

crusaderjoe

Quote from: valpotx on February 07, 2013, 02:37:57 PM
Good lord, if that is true...why???  The WAC has become an absolute joke of a conference

If this is true, I don't get this move either.  Let's see here, as OKMick put it...Denver moving "east" away from the WAC (and to the Summit) and UMKC moving "west" toward the WAC (and from the Summit).  And what is causing the move anyway?  A school like Oakland leaving to join the HL and a couple other schools leaving to join the MVC with Creighton joining the Catholic-7?  Maybe a "kick out" a la Chicago State?  Speculation is fun, ain't it?

Madness.  Pure madness.

oklahomamick

Quote from: crusaderjoe on February 07, 2013, 02:58:52 PMA school like Oakland leaving to join the HL and a couple other schools leaving to join the MVC with Creighton joining the Catholic-7?

What schools would join the MVC if Creighton bolted???
CRUSADERS!!!

Kyle321n

If the Summit is "dying" then why did Denver just move there?
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpotx

ND State would have a decent shot at the MVC, maybe SD State.  Since they both already have football in the conference, and seem to be committed to winning in all sports in D-1.  I don't think we have any chance at MVC status at current, unless we show a few years more of championship success in most sports, which it seems we are intending to do.
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 07, 2013, 03:05:50 PM
Their decision was last year.  Maybe things have changed.

bbtds

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 07, 2013, 03:05:50 PM

Which reminds me of that new movie:

"Things to do in Denver when the Summit's dead"

crusaderjoe

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpotx on February 07, 2013, 03:10:48 PM
ND State would have a decent shot at the MVC, maybe SD State.  Since they both already have football in the conference, and seem to be committed to winning in all sports in D-1.  I don't think we have any chance at MVC status at current, unless we show a few years more of championship success in most sports, which it seems we are intending to do.

Really?  I would think we are a better pickup for the MVC than ND State.  I think the HL is a better fit for us anyways.  Both conferences are 1 bids. 
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

This is weird. Most schools look to move up to a better conference, not down to an inferior conference. It's not like travel times are going to be better or they're moving for baseball (like Oral Roberts). Maybe the Summit League is having a major shakeup and is losing a bunch of members?

oklahomamick

I suspect that Oakland is moving to the HL.  ND State and SD state may move to MVC.  They will be the end of the summit and UMKC is likely trying to think in advance. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 07, 2013, 05:27:47 PM
Quote from: valpotx on February 07, 2013, 03:10:48 PM

Really?  I would think we are a better pickup for the MVC than ND State.  I think the HL is a better fit for us anyways.  Both conferences are 1 bids. 

I agree that we are a good fit for the Valley but don't agree that the Valley is a one bid league.  We certainly have the pedigree to compete over there.  I suspect we are in the Horizon for a while and particularly if we gain three good rpi teams as suggested.  Having Belmont alone this year would have boosted our ranking. Both Belmont and Murray State would have much better rankings if their schedules didn't include playing the dogs of the OVC.  As for  ND State and SD whatever, they would be a much better fit in the Big Sky.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

zvillehaze

Per this article ( http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/sports/college-basketball/lunardi-talks-a-10-moves-of-catholic-7/nWHYQ/ ), Lunardi claims Xavier and Butler are "committed" to join the C7 and that the C7 wants to stop at 10 teams (although their TV contract may push them to 12).  If they stick at 10, I'd prefer SLU over either Dayton or Creighton.  If they go to 12, who knows.  SLU, Dayton, Creighton and Richmond would all be considered.  VCU has been mentioned, but I've heard several comments that indicate Catholic isn't required (allowing Butler in), but they don't want to include Publics.  Thats obviously to stick to their desired "profile", but I've also heard rumblings that their concerned because a public school could open up all conference records under the Freedom of Information Act.

How does this impact the Horizon or MVC?  It really depends how many teams the C7 takes.  If they take X, Butler and SLU, I could still see Dayton staying with the A-10.  If they take X, Butler and Dayton, I would expect SLU to be looking for a new home.  If they take X, Butler and Creighton, I would expect SLU to consider filling Creighton's spot in the MVC.  In any case, I think the A-10 will be the conference most dramatically impacted and don't look for much impact to the Horizon.