• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

National Conference Realignments

Started by valpopal, September 20, 2011, 09:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on February 28, 2013, 05:36:25 PM
Latest from ESPN: Catholic 7 to keep Big East name and add both Xavier and Butler as early as this fall:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/77650/sources-catholic-7-keep-big-east

ESPN updates its report: "While Butler, Xavier and, most likely, Creighton are expected to join the new Big East this fall, the Catholic 7 schools are also expected to add Dayton and St. Louis in 2014 for a 12-team league." I wonder how this will impact the Horizon League or Valparaiso?

wh

With Creighton possibly being a part of this C-7 thing, I have to believe that Valpo would be on an MVC list of potential replacements.  We also don't know but what ML might actively pursue a move to the MVC.  After all, he spearheaded our move to the HL, so he's not afraid to pull the trigger on major change if he thinks it's in the best interest of the University and its athletic programs.

LaPorteAveApostle

the MVC?

the MVC!!!

And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Quote from: wh on February 28, 2013, 09:13:59 PM
With Creighton possibly being a part of this C-7 thing, I have to believe that Valpo would be on an MVC list of potential replacements.  We also don't know but what ML might actively pursue a move to the MVC.  After all, he spearheaded our move to the HL, so he's not afraid to pull the trigger on major change if he thinks it's in the best interest of the University and its athletic programs.

The latest from USA Today: "If Creighton leaves, the Valley would love to add St. Louis, but it appears the Billikens are likely headed to the Catholic 7. The replacement would likely come from a pool of Midwestern schools such as Valparaiso (Horizon), Oakland (Summit) or perhaps Oral Roberts (Southland)."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigeast/2013/02/28/catholic-7-missouri-valley-atlantic-10-chain-reaction/1955419/

KL31NY

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigeast/2013/02/28/catholic-7-missouri-valley-atlantic-10-chain-reaction/1955419/

Valpo, UDM are mentioned specifically in this article in the final paragraphs. Don't know what weight our mention carries, it's just interesting to see our name in this kind of story

QuoteIf the A-10 wants to replace schools, it will have options in the Horizon League (Detroit Mercy), the Metro Atlantic (Siena, Fairfield, Manhattan), the Colonial (George Mason, James Madison) or the Southern Conference (Davidson, College of Charleston).

If Creighton leaves, the Valley would love to add St. Louis, but it appears the Billikens are likely headed to the Catholic 7. The replacement would likely come from a pool of Midwestern schools such as Valparaiso (Horizon), Oakland (Summit) or perhaps Oral Roberts (Southland).

In other words, the chain reaction is only beginning. The Catholic 7 wanted to break away from the football schools to secure their future, free from the worries of realignment. But they're about to cause chaos among any number of their peers.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpotx

That is pretty cool to see, as I believe it is the first time we have been in an MVC story.  If it was down to those three schools, I really like our chances.  ORU left a better basketball conference to play in a closer distance conference, so I don't see them moving to the MVC or being invited.  Oakland wouldn't be as developed as us in the national eye, or have the NCAA history, so I put us ahead there too.  I would just worry about them poaching the left over A-10 Midwest team that is not in the new conference if they go to 10 instead of 12 (most likely Dayton or SLU). 

Detroit just doesn't make any sense in an A-10 without a Midwest presence.  If the 4 A-10 teams leave for the new conference and Detroit joins the A-10, their AD needs to lose his job. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Heck, let's take Drake, Bradley, and Evansville as our 3, and I will be happy  :).  That would secure a few more private schools with each having some basketball history.  This would give us a nice even split of 6 private and 6 public
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on March 01, 2013, 01:25:55 AMDetroit just doesn't make any sense in an A-10 without a Midwest presence.  If the 4 A-10 teams leave for the new conference and Detroit joins the A-10, their AD needs to lose his job.

Remember, Detroit has just an interim AD, Jason Horn. I'm sure any decisions about changing conferences would come from President Antoine Garibaldi. Of course with a lot of input from Horn, McCallum and the other coaches. They have men's Lacrosse but of course that stays in it's own conference. They play some D-II teams in Lacrosse including Bellarmine, Notre Dame, Albion (MI), Ohio State, Navy, Robert Morris, Quinnipiac, Marist (PFL team), VMI, Jacksonville (PFL), Manhattan, Siena, Michigan, Marquette and Canisius. 

oklahomamick

ESPN reports:  Joining the Catholic 7 schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, and Villanova -- in the new "Big East" this fall will be Xavier and Butler, sources said.

MVC will be untouched.  I don't think we will see a dominoe effect like most of us were anticipating. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

If The Valley called we'd be the smallest school just a smidge smaller than Evansville and wouldn't it be contingent on some facilities upgrades -- i.e., the ARC would be the smallest arena in the conference (7 schools have capacities >10K and 3 have capacities >7K)  and Em Bauer Field would need to be upgraded somewhat or moved to it's future location sooner than planned?  We would bring a full complement of conference sports plus bowling and PFL football.  Five sports would benefit greatly by the conference competition:  M&WBB (of course), M&WSO, Baseball, Softball and Volleyball.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 01, 2013, 07:20:58 AM
ESPN reports:  Joining the Catholic 7 schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, and Villanova -- in the new "Big East" this fall will be Xavier and Butler, sources said.

MVC will be untouched.  I don't think we will see a dominoe effect like most of us were anticipating. 

not yet at least. i find it a little hard to believe that they're going to simply sit tight with 9 schools. wouldn't surprise me in the least if they work on adding a couple more over the next couple years, and the valley, while a little far west of their footprint, is a reasonable conference to at least look at.

VULB#62

I saw that too.

My money would be on St. Louis or Dayton first then maybe Creighton -- but CU is a full state further than St. Louis and there are the "other sports" to consider.

Right now the 'new' Big East stretches from Providence, RI to Indianapolis, IN/ Milwaukee, WI/ Chicago, IL.  Unless they see a two division league, I don't see CU.  But then rumor had the Zags in too.

Kyle321n

Because Washington state is TOTALLY east...

I wouldn't mind if we stayed in the Horizon and went on a decade long streak of winning it and getting 10-13 seeds each year. Let's do that instead of moving to a bigger conference.  ;D
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

FWalum

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 01, 2013, 07:35:12 AM
If The Valley called we'd be the smallest school just a smidge smaller than Evansville
Including grad students we are about 1000 students larger than UE. Our endowment is at least 40 M larger and our campus is 3 times the size. Yes, they play in a much larger off campus community provided facility and recieve pretty good support from the city. Having sat on their Parents Board for a number of years, I know that they view VU as major competition because we go after a very similar pool of students.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

crusaderjoe

Notre Dame wants to talk to the Catholic 7:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/notre-dame-wants-talk-catholic-031120555--ncaab.html

Where will ND land?

http://articles.southbendtribune.com/2013-02-28/sports/37359310_1_irish-land-muffet-mcgraw-big-east

Can't say I'm surprised by these developments.  If ND delays movement to the ACC for any reason, thus endeth whatever perception is left of ACC stability, particularly with the internet rumors flying around that UVA is already gone, IMO. 

It will be interesting to see 1) when ND "formally" moves to the ACC and how so initially (basketball only, OLY only, etc.) and 2) who will be paying their exit fees (*cough* Maryland* *cough* ACC *cough*) either in whole or in part to the BE.  Should be intriguing.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 01, 2013, 07:38:52 AM

not yet at least. i find it a little hard to believe that they're going to simply sit tight with 9 schools. wouldn't surprise me in the least if they work on adding a couple more over the next couple years, and the valley, while a little far west of their footprint, is a reasonable conference to at least look at.

Even though nine is a strange number, from a scheduling standpoint, its perfect. Having the teams play a full double round-robin schedule of 16 games is the perfect model...giving enough inventory for the networks and leaving enough non-conference games for teams to a) play some good teams, b) play some cupcakes and c) play in a preseason tournament without struggling to squeeze them all into their 30 game limit.

crusadermoe

Notre Dame makes perfect sense going back to the new "Big East" since they have independent football.    You do wonder if they will keep that single team network at some point though.   

The new likely Big East additions to the West make UND move to Big East even more logical.  DePaul and Marquette already play their soccer and volleyball teams etc. 

What a game of musical chairs!!

LaPorteAveApostle

Note that the SB paper quotes the BB coaches talking about the Big East 2.0 as a stopgap between The Conference Going Down In Flames and the ACC.

If ND really cared about their precious FB independence, they would flee the ACC, which is going *up* in flames slowly, and join the Big East, er, Vatican III Conference.  (Should be Lateran IV, but the truth hurts.)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VU75

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 04, 2013, 08:50:12 AMNotre Dame makes perfect sense going back to the new "Big East" since they have independent football.

Reported Catholic 7 Fox tv contract 500 million for 12yrs
ACC ESPN  tv contract 3.6 Billion for 12 yrs

Notre Dame also has access to the ACC bowl tie-ins

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VU75 on March 04, 2013, 06:18:40 PMACC ESPN  tv contract 3.6 Billion for 12 yrs

Seems like a no-brainer when you put it like that, except that the difference is only $15 million a year--and to ND, that's chump change.  Maybe even less when you calculate the cost of a) not having to fly girls' tennis to Miami etc and more importantly how do you put a price on b) regaining all the football independence you gave up.

As far as bowl tie-ins, ND hasn't had those ever (other than the BCS) and has managed to do all right for themselves.

a3uge

I really hope ESPN has got the whole "C7 to take the Big East name" thing as wrong as they got the Duke Lacross story. Taking the name Big East is way too confusing.

valpotx

I believe more news should be coming today as well, based on reports of when Fox Sports wanted to announce the agreement:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9019093/big-east-football-schools-keep-close-110-million-league-split-according-report
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Horizon League Commissioner LeCrone talks about conference realignments. From his comments, it doesn't sound like we can expect news very soon:

``We can survive as a nine-member league. But we not only want to maintain our brand, we want to improve on it. We've spent a lot of time talking about our internal growth. We want to improve in scheduling, officiating, basketball operations, competitiveness and student development issues.

``When you consider where we want to be basketball-wise, it's hard not to consider expansion in this environment,'' he added. ``We want to remain a top brand. I think our league is pretty well positioned [to remain intact.]''

All conferences have ``wish lists'' of potential future members—and of potential member defectors.

``I think we're pretty well-positioned to take advantage of opportunities [to expand] than to be too worried about departures,'' he said.  ``The wild-card is you don't know who or when. It would be naïve to think schools would not be presented with other options,'' he added.

`I think we'll see some clarity in the next 30 to 45 days.''

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/18674836-419/new-big-east-likely-to-trigger-more-conference-defections.html