• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

National Conference Realignments

Started by valpopal, September 20, 2011, 09:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusadermoe

Fair enough, but it's a major league city with big-time arena.    Recruiting would accelerate for them.   

By the way, you are a web linking graphics grabbing machine.    I'm in the 1990s barely grasping the concept of a "link".   ;D

LaPorteAveApostle

thanks!  well, if you check out the first posts on the Valpo Memes page, you'll see I was PRETTY awkward until I got the hang of it.

Valpo04 was like the senior helping the freshman with his locker combo over there.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

crusaderjoe

Quote from: valpotx on March 08, 2013, 05:04:59 PM
The difference is that our 9-22 bottom feeder year was due to 2 key players leaving the team long before their SR year (Haanpaa and Bouchie).  Loyola's mediocre play is due to mediocre recruits, coaches, etc.  That season for us was a HUGE anomaly.  We are a program with 13 20-win seasons in the last 20 years.  How many does Loyola have?

Edit:  Not sure how I misspelled 'anomaly' as incorrect spelling is a pet peeve of mine.  :)

4-22.  5-22. 5-22.  Do those numbers mean anything to you?  Again, let's not throw stones.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

crusaderjoe

Quote from: valporun on March 08, 2013, 05:41:40 PM
Loyola doesn't have a brand new facility. It's the old facility with a new look. If ony Loyola was good enough for a newer facility, but they aren't anything more than an academic school posing as an athletic program with a meager basketball history.

A national championship program with a meager basketball history.  Got it.  I guarantee you that Mississippi State will disagree with you.

Two, not one, but two brand new or renovated (whatever you want to call it so you can sleep better at night) basketball arenas in the last, um let's see here...15 years. And what is Valpo doing?  Competing in its pile of crap, same tired high school basketball facility--a facility that has been in place for what, the last three decades...and counting.  Valpo's commitment pales in comparison.

You've convinced me.  Loyola sucks. What is the MVC thinking.

Let's not throw stones.

LaPorteAveApostle

valpotx

Quote from: crusaderjoe on March 09, 2013, 12:04:59 PM
Quote from: valpotx on March 08, 2013, 05:04:59 PM
The difference is that our 9-22 bottom feeder year was due to 2 key players leaving the team long before their SR year (Haanpaa and Bouchie).  Loyola's mediocre play is due to mediocre recruits, coaches, etc.  That season for us was a HUGE anomaly.  We are a program with 13 20-win seasons in the last 20 years.  How many does Loyola have?

Edit:  Not sure how I misspelled 'anomaly' as incorrect spelling is a pet peeve of mine.  :)

4-22.  5-22. 5-22.  Do those numbers mean anything to you?  Again, let's not throw stones.

That was more than 20 years ago.  I was speaking over the last 20
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

milanmiracle

Quote from: valpotx on March 12, 2013, 11:35:36 AM
ND officially leaving the OBE after this season:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9042949/notre-dame-big-east-agree-irish-exit-2-years-early-join-acc

I really have to wonder how much ND is kicking themselves with the move to the ACC when they did. With the Big East splitting off the way they did, ND might have had a little more negotiating power and only have to play 3/4 ACC games vs. the 5 they're going to play now. The only reason ND joined the ACC was to steal their conference tie in's for bowls. That's it, nothing more.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

milanmiracle

Quote from: valpotx on March 14, 2013, 11:34:43 AM
NBE will announce new members in 7-10 days.  It sounds like things will be picking up shortly!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9049766/source-new-big-east-announce-additional-members-7-10-days

The only X factor in this is...Creighton or somebody else. Butler and Xavier are gone. I have to hand it to Butler, what a leap in less than 5 years!
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 14, 2013, 02:17:41 PMI really have to wonder how much ND is kicking themselves with the move to the ACC when they did.
But they still did!  They had time to be like "whoa" and could have joined the Catholic 7, kept their other sport rivalries and their precious FB independence.  Makes NO sense to me.

Then again, maybe it's all because the ACC created a fictitious conference site online ("single BCS conference seeks Major Independent for fun n gamez!") that fooled the ND brass into telling the press about this relationship they were all excited about...

AND THEN THAT'S WHY THE WBB TEAM WENT OUT AND FINALLY WON THE BIG EAST!?!?!!!!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 14, 2013, 02:18:50 PMCreighton or somebody else. Butler and Xavier are gone. I have to hand it to Butler, what a leap in less than 5 years!

Similar to FSU football's 5 years in the top 10 (87-92) and then joining the ACC out of independence.

Except that FSU won their conference.  And for 9 straight years.

vu72

So I'm wondering, with Xavier and that other school (shouldn't mention their name here any longer) leaving the A-10, is there any schools left that might want to jump to the Horizon?  St. Louis would be a major coup but somehow I think they will end up with the other Catholic 9 and 1 other.  Dayton?  Could work but aren't they a good fit for the Catholic 9 plus one but St. Louis could make it the Catholic 11 plus one.  I wonder how that name would fit around a free throw line?  Oh yeah, thery're keeping the Big East (plus Nebraska, Ohio, Wisconsin and Indiana)  So much for geographical accuracy.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

milanmiracle

Quote from: vu72 on March 14, 2013, 04:39:28 PM
So I'm wondering, with Xavier and that other school (shouldn't mention their name here any longer) leaving the A-10, is there any schools left that might want to jump to the Horizon?  St. Louis would be a major coup but somehow I think they will end up with the other Catholic 9 and 1 other.  Dayton?  Could work but aren't they a good fit for the Catholic 9 plus one but St. Louis could make it the Catholic 11 plus one.  I wonder how that name would fit around a free throw line?  Oh yeah, thery're keeping the Big East (plus Nebraska, Ohio, Wisconsin and Indiana)  So much for geographical accuracy.

I can't see any A10 team leaving for the Horizon, it just wouldn't make any cents  :twocents:

vu72

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 14, 2013, 06:45:54 PM

I can't see any A10 team leaving for the Horizon, it just wouldn't make any cents  :twocents:

For whom?  Geographically the remaining teams make no sense but neither does Creighton playing in the "Big East".  Still, we would have very little interest in St. bonnie, Duquense, Richmond (maybe), Rhode Island, fordham or LaSalle.  Some recent or historical success (LaSalle pretty good this year and St. Bonnie a long time ago).
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

StlVUFan

Horizon League might be a great hiding place for Richmond after today's debacle ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 14, 2013, 08:14:36 PMHorizon League might be a great hiding place for Richmond after today's debacle

dear God, yes.  if you don't know, read this:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9053689/richmond-spiders-called-3-technical-fouls-lose-charlotte-49ers-atlantic-10-tournament

and then put in "Valpo" for every "Richmond" and contemplate losing in your conf. tourney in that manner...

...that's awful.  O-F-F-A-L.

valpopal

NY Post reporting Butler, Dayton, Xavier to join Big East next season (2013-2014) with Creighton and St. Louis to follow in 2014-2015, but no official confirmation or denial yet:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/butler_dayton_xavier_to_join_next_HWBR8nzwcf0a0rZSxkf8IM

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on March 14, 2013, 04:39:28 PMSo I'm wondering, with Xavier and that other school (shouldn't mention their name here any longer) leaving the A-10, is there any schools left that might want to jump to the Horizon?
Temple or Charlotte? I can sure be stubborn as a bulld :-* g when it comes to these things.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

If that is true, I am glad to be on target with my predictions from the start of the C7 expansion talk  :).  As much as I dislike Detroit, I don't want to see them leave for the A-10, and the same for Loyola to any MVC rumors.  If we can pull through this next year, I think that we will be stable for a good bit of time
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusaderjoe

Quote from: valpotx on March 15, 2013, 12:26:44 AM
If that is true, I am glad to be on target with my predictions from the start of the C7 expansion talk  :).  As much as I dislike Detroit, I don't want to see them leave for the A-10, and the same for Loyola to any MVC rumors.  If we can pull through this next year, I think that we will be stable for a good bit of time

Speculation on this board:  http://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic-10-conference/485553-future-a10-thread-25.html  indicates that the A-10 will look to expand with schools that are traditionally more north and east in geographical location than in years past.  If this is true, UDM is probably off the clock for A-10 expansion and the HL will dodge at least one expansion bullet.  The MVC would then appear to be the conference that could pose the most instability to the league with talk about LUC as a potential replacement.

milanmiracle

Quote from: vu72 on March 14, 2013, 06:53:59 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on March 14, 2013, 06:45:54 PM

For whom?  Geographically the remaining teams make no sense but neither does Creighton playing in the "Big East".  Still, we would have very little interest in St. bonnie, Duquense, Richmond (maybe), Rhode Island, fordham or LaSalle.  Some recent or historical success (LaSalle pretty good this year and St. Bonnie a long time ago).

For whom? Any A10 team. The buyout wouldn't be worth it, and you'd be losing the TV package. The Horizon League is a step down. As for geography and conference alignment...that went out the window a long time ago. West Virginia in the Big 12? Um, sure, that's near Texas...haha. It's all about money and TV markets, and will only continue down that route.

valpopal

New reports (CBS Sports, Indy Star and Omaha World Herald) state Creighton will move to Big East this fall with Butler and most likely Xavier, no word in this article on St. Louis and Dayton, which the NY Post had said would also join the new Big East. Moves expected to be officially announced Wednesday or Thursday:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21886474/reports-butler-creighton-to-join-new-big-east

historyman

Maybe Denver can join the MVC in Creighton's place (sounds like an old soap opera) and then switch conferences with UMKC. UMKC to the MVC and Denver back to the WAC where they actually geographically fit. Wouldn't that be amazing to have geographical fits in college sports conferences?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann