• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women’s Head Basketball Coach Announced

Started by covufan, April 13, 2018, 10:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Welcome aboard Mary Evans.  :thumbsup:

She brings a good D-I experience record as an assistant at this level.  Lots of emphasis on Xs & Os, player DEVELOPMENT, and experience as a D-I recruiting coordinator. That seems to check most of the important boxes.

I wish her great luck.  I'm sure MLB will give her whatever tools and staff she needs to turn this program around.

VU2014

I don't really have an opinion on the hire, but welcome to the program Coach Evans! Hopefully she and her staff can deliver the player development this program has been lacking for years. Let's win some games.

covufan

I wish her well and hope that she is able to fill out the coaching staff with some experience.

jack

I believe she will be a good fit for the program. She has D1 experience, and was key in the recruiting process for several successful programs. I wish her well.

valpotx

Sounds like a great hire who fits the mold of other successful Valpo hires in the last few years!  I look forward to seeing what she can do, in order to turn the program around!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

You, obviously, have renewed your private detective license  :thumbsup:

Valpo1977

Good call VU2014. Did some minor research. You might be Right!

IndyValpo

Evans seems like a good hire. Her 5 years at OU included heavy recruiting in Ohio and some in Illinois. If she adds Cameron we add someone who has recruited in Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin.

I will say the press conference was less than impressive. She seemed incredibly nervous. 

Added....Paul said it was emotion and he was there....

VU2014

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 18, 2018, 07:37:37 PM
I will say the press conference was less than impressive. She seemed incredibly nervous.

Her first big time head coaching gig might cause some nerves at the opening day press conference.

bbtds

Evans showcased her passion in the interview process, as well as her aforementioned work ethic. The longtime assistant came into her job interview armed with intricate knowledge of the Valparaiso program, knowledge she picked up from watching numerous games from last season. Her intense studying left Evans with the impression that achieving success at Valparaiso is closer than it has been in the past.

"I've watched a lot of film from last year; when you look at the stats and you watch the film, the margin of defeat was 4.1 points per game," Evans said. "You're close, you're talking about two possessions. They're closer than they realize. We lose a big piece in Dani (Franklin), but I think there's more than enough talent on this team to get this thing going."

This is the part I really like about hiring Mary Evans. She is immediately already analyzing the issues that the team had last year and has an idea about fixing those issues that a dedicated and exemplary Christian as Coach Dorow could not . Poor Dani will not benefit from Evans hiring but let's hope the WBB team does and gets back to winning ways in a conference that is only dominated by one team.

IndyValpo

Quote from: bbtds on April 19, 2018, 04:34:45 AM
"I've watched a lot of film from last year; when you look at the stats and you watch the film, the margin of defeat was 4.1 points per game," Evans said. "You're close, you're talking about two possessions. They're closer than they realize. We lose a big piece in Dani (Franklin), but I think there's more than enough talent on this team to get this thing going."

in reality we lost 18 games by an average of 20 points per game. When you factor our wins which include 3 non D1's and 2 over Evansville who was pretending to be D1 last year you get to her number.  Numbers don't lie but they can mislead.....

VU2014

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 19, 2018, 10:59:14 AM

in reality we lost 18 games by an average of 20 points per game. When you factor our wins which include 3 non D1's and 2 over Evansville who was pretending to be D1 last year you get to her number.  Numbers don't lie but they can mislead.....

Shh... just let her play the spin the game and continue the happy honeymoon phase.  ;) Things won't get easier by losing Dani. There is actually some talent on the roster but it needs to be developed and they need to have structured offensive/defensive scheme.

Hopefully we some positive steps in the right direction next season and then they continue build on their progress year after year.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on April 19, 2018, 11:06:36 AM
Quote from: IndyValpo on April 19, 2018, 10:59:14 AM

Shh... just let her play the spin the game and continue the happy honeymoon phase.  ;) Things won't get easier by losing Dani. There is actually some talent on the roster but it needs to be developed and they need to have structured offensive/defensive scheme.

Hopefully we some positive steps in the right direction next season and then they continue build on their progress year after year.

You just never would have heard Dorow analyzing the team the way Evans did on her first day. It is at least encouraging.

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on April 19, 2018, 11:18:08 AM
You just never would have heard Dorow analyzing the team the way Evans did on her first day. It is at least encouraging.

Agreed there. I always had the feeling that Dorow was over her head with the job.

Valpo1977

IndyValpo

Quote from: Valpo1977 on April 19, 2018, 12:54:37 PM
Kim Cameron. Most likely to BGSU
Makes sense BGSU's new coach is from Ashland both schools from the Same conference.

VULB#62

Great interview.  Has her act together and even in a relaxed interview setting like this you could sense her inetnsity.

FWalum

Good interview, I am excited to see what the future brings for the Women's program!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

IndyValpo

Hired on 4/13 and as of 4/30 we still have no assistants. Are we in the middle of an evaluation period? It would be nice to have some help on the road.

VU2014

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 30, 2018, 10:48:46 AM
Hired on 4/13 and as of 4/30 we still have no assistants. Are we in the middle of an evaluation period? It would be nice to have some help on the road.

Maybe they've been hired but their waiting to announce. Remember when Coach Manuel left for UNCW it took to till July to announce his hiring but I'm pretty sure he was hired well before the official announcement. It is curious why it's taking so long.

Do we have any open scholarships on the women's team left? We're in the crucial 2019 recruiting period right now. I'm sure Coach Evans has been on the recruiting trail already. Hopefully her staff is too.