• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Oren being Oren

Started by covufan, May 10, 2018, 01:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

I for one appreciate it. I enjoy when Paul triggers Butler fans  ;D. It's just so easy. Keep up the great work Paul!

bbtds

One day a young aspiring basketball player was shooting baskets in Hinkle Fieldhouse. This youngster wanted to be a Butler player. He pracetised every day at Hinkle. But he knew he was missing something that would make him the best Butler player ever.

One day he was resting after throwing up some shots and he noticed Barry Collier sitting near by watching him. Collier, of course, had the reputation of being one of the builders of the Butler Way and was very knowledgeable about what it takes to be a great Butler player. So the young man went over to Collier and told him his dream.

Collier looked him up and down and said, "I have a suggestion that is sure to help."

"Tell me, tell me," said the young man.

"Wear a white t-shirt under your uniform."

"Will that make me a better basketball player?"

"Definitely," said Collier.

The young player did what he was told, then in a flash he hit several baskets that bounced towards another coach which upset the coach when the basketball bounced off his balding head.

"Wow, that really helped! Do you have any more suggestions?"

"Yeah, if you put your hand under the basketball more it will help with your longer shots."

"Will that make me a better Butler basketball player?"

"It sure will," said Collier.

The young guy did what he was told, he put his hand further under the ball and made several long shots that all hit the coach near the basket on his balding head.

"This is really helping me. Is there anything else you can share with me?"

"One more thing," said Collier, "Get that can of axle grease over there in the corner and rub it all over your ball."

"No, not just the underneath of the ball, the whole ball, valve and everything," said Collier.

"Will that make me a better basketball player?"

"No," said Collier!"

"But, when Scott Drew, the head coach of Baylor University and former Butler student manager gets done with that interview, he's going to shove that ball right up your ass, and it won't hurt so much!"

usc4valpo

I will never understand the hatred toward Butler and Brad Stevens. They are very successful and the Valpo jealousy gets a little ridiculas. I respect how they have built their basketball program, cripe, I would only wish Valpo could have done the same. 35 years ago, both schools were at the same competitive level.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on May 10, 2018, 01:27:41 PM
I for one appreciate it. I enjoy when Paul triggers Butler fans  ;D. It's just so easy. Keep up the great work Paul!

I just look at that post as being sad.  Yes, Bryce Drew and Valpo beat Butler's worst rated team on kenpom in the last decade 3 times in one year, 7 seasons ago.  It would be pretty easy to come back and say, "Brad Stevens got the same number of votes by his peers for NBA coach of the year as Bryce Drew has NCAA tournament victories in his career as a head coach."

I get it.  Paul is a Valpo fan, and Valpo fans generally speaking don't like Butler.  But the only "triggered Butler fans" that replied to his post are a Portage girls basketball coach and a 2000 Valpo grad.  Maybe it's time to move on.

NativeCheesehead

And yet you responded......

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on May 10, 2018, 01:27:41 PM

Valpo is extremely lucky to have a beat writer who is also a huge fan.  This, along with him being on campus daily, allows him to provide coverage that is way more interesting and insightful than guys from the Post Trib who just view covering Valpo as their job.

VU2014

I honestly have no hate for Butler or Brad Stevens. "Hate" is way too strong of a word in my vocabulary. I have a lot of respect for what Butler has accomplished the last 10 years. I just find the whole "Butler Way" stuff pretty nauseating. Also the refusal to play Valpo is annoying, but I understand the reasons why they haven't so far. I know blanketing a fan-base isn't fair but many Butler fans have pretty big egos about their team and naturally that is going to rub some people the wrong way, rightfully or wrongfully. At least that is my experience.

Quote from: EddieCabot on May 11, 2018, 08:12:30 AM
Valpo is extremely lucky to have a beat writer who is also a huge fan.  This, along with him being on campus daily, allows him to provide coverage that is way more interesting and insightful than guys from the Post Trib who just view covering Valpo as their job.

No doubt we are lucky to have a beat writer as passionate about his job as Paul is. Michael does a good job as well. I enjoy reading both of their articles.

IrishDawg

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on May 11, 2018, 07:34:32 AM

Doesn't mean I'm incredulous or upset by it, just that I think the point has passed where Valpo's fans and its beat writer should be concerned about former Butler coaches are doing or trying to make digs about what happened that long ago.  Valpo's in a better spot than they were 7 seasons ago, despite the tough first season in the MVC, much like Butler, Brad Stevens and Bryce Drew are today.

I do wish that Butler's beat writer at the Indy Star provided the same type of passionate coverage that Paul does for you guys, and I like David Woods and think he does a good job overall.

agibson

Quote from: covufan on May 10, 2018, 01:24:47 PMhttps://mobile.twitter.com/nwioren/status/994580518049144833

[tweet]994580518049144833[/tweet]

(If you want to use it, it's [ tweet ] then the number off the end of the link, then [ / tweet ]. Or we can just click your link.)

IndyValpo

Quote from: IrishDawg on May 11, 2018, 09:23:59 AM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on May 11, 2018, 07:34:32 AM

Doesn't mean I'm incredulous or upset by it, just that I think the point has passed where Valpo's fans and its beat writer should be concerned about former Butler coaches are doing or trying to make digs about what happened that long ago.  Valpo's in a better spot than they were 7 seasons ago, despite the tough first season in the MVC, much like Butler, Brad Stevens and Bryce Drew are today.

I do wish that Butler's beat writer at the Indy Star provided the same type of passionate coverage that Paul does for you guys, and I like David Woods and think he does a good job overall.
Personally, I think David Woods is average at best. His articles (particularly about recruiting) seem to come from a template because they seem to cover the same ground every time. In general Butler has earned better coverage than they receive.

usc4valpo

If the NBA voted for Coach of the Year right now, the results would be different. The playoffs have a significantly higher level of importance than the regular season. Stevens has been a great NBA coach and an outstanding selection by the Celtics.

Pgmado

Couple things...

1) I have all the respect in the world for both Brad Stevens and Butler. I've had numerous encounters with Brad Stevens and he's been wonderful every time.

2) My only frustration with Butler is not playing Valpo. Certainly Valpo can take the place of Kennesaw State, Youngstown State, Morehead State or Western Illinois and probably have more of a sizzle to the contest. Maybe losing to Indiana State last year put an end to that.

3) The Valpo fans on Twitter enjoy the subtle digs, much in the same way fans at WWE events enjoy screaming out the same catchphrases each week. It doesn't get old, or if it does get old, people still sing along.

4) It's been 2,687 days since Butler has beat Valparaiso.

bbtds

Quote from: Pgmado on May 11, 2018, 12:46:51 PM4) It's been 2,687 days since Butler has beat Valparaiso.

My Butler fan co-worker said "has it been that long, oh well, who cares? I'm sure you'll get a game some day."

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on May 11, 2018, 01:00:34 PM
Quote from: Pgmado on May 11, 2018, 12:46:51 PM4) It's been 2,687 days since Butler has beat Valparaiso.
My Butler fan co-worker said "has it been that long, oh well, who cares? I'm sure you'll get a game some day."

The only way I'd want to play them again is if it was a series or on a neutral court.

valpo84

A rivalry is built on respect and vigorous competition.  What Valpo/Butler had and what makes it frustrating is that the two programs are exceptionally similar in their goals, mission and athletic department goals and objectives.  More frustrating is that as the rivalry began to heat up to great intensity, Butler had the opportunity to jump the sinking Horizon ship (or to run away from Valpo's run against them to add fuel to the fire), and go to the A10 and then the Big Least. Again, respect for that and what they have gained.  They don't owe us anything.  Rivalries are fun because you poke at those things that you can.  We don't know if Valpo would continue its dominance against Butler, because they don't deem us worthy of continuing the rivalry.  Fine.  People in the world today need to lighten up, enjoy the repartee and know that it is done in respect for a good program.  Back in the day Cubs fans would boo Pete Rose incessantly when he played LF.  Why? Because he continually beat up on the Cubs.  You got booed on the road because fan bases respected how you played, and in particular how you played against your hometown team.  That to me is our general reaction to Butler.  There is respect for the program, and their is pride in their performances of making the Final 4 from the Horizon.  They were battled tested because of having to play on the road at places like Valpo.  That game that Howard stuck the shot at the end was every bit as intense as anything Butler faced in that final 4 year.  Valpo scored more points against Butler and gave Butler better games that year than most of the games Butler had in the NCAA (I know brown & gold glasses), but Valpo scored more than 60 points I believe in both games. No other team til the Finals did that against Butler.  Look, Butler is blessed to have a Hinkle on campus. 

As to Brad Stevens, he has done a nice job with the Celtics, however, it also seems to be inflated.  We'll see how he does over the next few years.  Quite frankly you can win COY in the NBA and still get fired the same year.  Also, Lebron is looking forward to outcoaching Brad, just like Bryce used to. (see what I did there....) 8-)

So, until Butler decides with a magnanimous heart to play 1 for 1s or a neutral site game against Valpo, we'll always have the last salvo, and Butler will always have 2 FFs and that they're in the Big East.  That's what rivalry banter is made of. 

Thanks Paul for keeping it going...
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

zvillehaze

Quote from: Pgmado on May 11, 2018, 12:46:51 PM
Couple things...

1) I have all the respect in the world for both Brad Stevens and Butler. I've had numerous encounters with Brad Stevens and he's been wonderful every time.

2) My only frustration with Butler is not playing Valpo. Certainly Valpo can take the place of Kennesaw State, Youngstown State, Morehead State or Western Illinois and probably have more of a sizzle to the contest. Maybe losing to Indiana State last year put an end to that.

3) The Valpo fans on Twitter enjoy the subtle digs, much in the same way fans at WWE events enjoy screaming out the same catchphrases each week. It doesn't get old, or if it does get old, people still sing along.

4) It's been 2,687 days since Butler has beat Valparaiso.

I follow Paul on Twitter and his Butler/Stevens tweets always make me laugh.  Any Butler fan who gets upset with petty crap like that deserves to be ridiculed, IMO.

Has it really been 2,687 days?  That's a long time ... a little shy of 7,362 days, but still a long time!

valpopal

I enjoyed the Valpo vs Butler rivalry in the Horizon League very much, and I admired the way Butler succeeded and moved up in leagues. I wished Valpo had done the same, or at least had taken more advantage of the opportunities after the Sweet 16 season. However, once Butler left Horizon League basketball, I stopped any concern with them, except for the annual football game. I don't understand a continuing preoccupation with Butler. It seems to me some are allowing Butler long-term lease of prime real estate in their minds for which no rent is being paid.

VU2014

valpotx

I played summer ball with some Butler guys, who were great teammates, but...Buck Futler forever :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

Paul:  Congratulations.  That was a helluva story and you told it well.  Deserved.

JD24

Quote from: covufan on May 10, 2018, 01:24:47 PMhttps://mobile.twitter.com/nwioren/status/994580518049144833 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this is an example of Mr. Oren's smack talking or smack tweeting ability, it's a business he should stay out of.

VU2014

Quote from: JD24 on May 12, 2018, 12:10:08 PM
Quote from: covufan on May 10, 2018, 01:24:47 PMhttps://mobile.twitter.com/nwioren/status/994580518049144833 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this is an example of Mr. Oren's smack talking or smack tweeting ability, it's a business he should stay out of.

There is a difference between "smack talk" and just busting some peoples balls. People need to lighten up