• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Dildy to Northwestern

Started by M, May 21, 2018, 11:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairback

If I was Mark L I'd do everything I could to get Tongel on the staff. Give him whatever title he wants and pay him. If Matt doesn't pan out Luke is not a head coach.  It's just a reality.    You have Greg in your back pocket who is a D1 level coach currently.   

IndyValpo

Quote from: Chairback on May 23, 2018, 12:33:09 PM
If I was Mark L I'd do everything I could to get Tongel on the staff. Give him whatever title he wants and pay him. If Matt doesn't pan out Luke is not a head coach.  It's just a reality.    You have Greg in your back pocket who is a D1 level coach currently.   
Actually he is a NAIA D2 level coach right now.  Very successful but lets be honest no one knows how he would do. Perhaps he would be great but maybe not.  He is very good at recruiting D1 level players to play NAIA and obviously a good coach.

VU2014

Quote from: IndyValpo on May 23, 2018, 01:30:51 PM
Actually he is a NAIA D2 level coach right now.  Very successful but lets be honest no one knows how he would do. Perhaps he would be great but maybe not.  He is very good at recruiting D1 level players to play NAIA and obviously a good coach.

I think Greg would be a tremendous 'x's & o's' and developmental coach but the only big question mark for me would be if he could recruit at a high level. I think he could but you never know. He's landed some nice transfers at IWU and has landed some solid under-recruited kids out of HS. He was very briefly an assistant under Homer at VU and he is very thought of around the coaching ranks. Another thing I've heard is that his IWU program appears slightly "cultish" to people who aren't very religious. Greg is very religious and he isn't afraid to say it. That may be one reason Greg hasn't landed a "bigger" job in the past.

I don't think there is any chance Tonagel is leaving his current job to become an assistant. He's said in interviews in the past that he thinks he's better suited to being a Head Coach. Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard Greg was offered a job to be one of Coach Lottich's assistants when he was trying to put his initial staff together.

VU2014

I know this is a very big jump to conclusions but it looks like CA was in town tonight. Possibly interviewing for a coaching position?

https://twitter.com/chrisartis5/status/999441269209346048

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on May 23, 2018, 08:34:57 PM
I know this is a very big jump to conclusions but it looks like CA was in town tonight. Possibly interviewing for a coaching position?

https://twitter.com/chrisartis5/status/999441269209346048

For those that may know, what does Chris Artis bring to the equation as a potential assistant?

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on May 23, 2018, 04:21:06 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on May 23, 2018, 01:30:51 PM

I think Greg would be a tremendous 'x's & o's' and developmental coach but the only big question mark for me would be if he could recruit at a high level. I think he could but you never know. He's landed some nice transfers at IWU and has landed some solid under-recruited kids out of HS. He was very briefly an assistant under Homer at VU and he is very thought of around the coaching ranks. Another thing I've heard is that his IWU program appears slightly "cultish" to people who aren't very religious. Greg is very religious and he isn't afraid to say it. That may be one reason Greg hasn't landed a "bigger" job in the past.

I don't think there is any chance Tonagel is leaving his current job to become an assistant. He's said in interviews in the past that he thinks he's better suited to being a Head Coach. Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard Greg was offered a job to be one of Coach Lottich's assistants when he was trying to put his initial staff together.

From iwuhoops.net

IN HIS OWN WORDS
A typical Wildcat player is...

A player who has a fearless commitment to excel in the pursuit of unselfish goals.

When God is the primary pursuit of one's life, he creates in us a "life" that the world cannot.  The natural response is to share this with others by serving them before yourself.  Don't confuse 'bigness' with greatness.  The smaller we become, the greater He becomes! 

Fearless is...

In life and athletics, fear will try and paralyze you.  You must learn to let go of security or control.  In those big moments you must choose between safety and courage.  The bottom line is this: 'greatness favors the fearless.'

What makes a team great?

The self focus of our age works against greatness in team sports.  It also works against greatness in one's personal life.  The aim of our program is to flip that focus by redirecting young men to make God the primary pursuit of one's life while also investing into the destinies of others.  When a man makes this critical change and begins to realize the potential within himself, but that it has to be invested into others to have its power fulfilled and purpose found—that's when a man becomes great and a team finds greatness.  It truly is one of the greatest paychecks in coaching! 

What do you hope a player who plays at IWU gains from his experience...

If there is one memory that our players should have of our program it is this:  God was first.  God was central.  There was passion for putting God first in all things on and off the court.  And secondly, meeting the needs of others is a fun way to play ball and live life.  I hope the formula for success that they take with them to their workplaces and homes becomes, 'if you want to be 1st, first find a way to be 3rd!'

What is your approach to helping players reach their potential on the floor?

It is special to want to be great.  My role as a coach is to motivate greatness inside each player.  I want them to embrace the adversity in hard work with joy, because this is the path to success.  Walking alongside my players encouraging them through this process is what I call coaching. 

True to God, his faith, and himself at all times.  Reminds me a lot of Roger Powell. IMO they are cut above most people, myself included.

VU2014

When Bryce first left for Vandy I asked a few people about Tonagel because there was speculation if he'd be a candidate for the job. Everyone said he was a very stand up guy and had a natural leadership ability going back to his college days.

Here is a pretty good podcast interview I found a while back. He goes in depth about growing up playing basketball in Indiana and playing at Valpo as well as his coaching journey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl48PobIuKU

ValpoFan

Chris Artis is in town every night because he lives in the city of Valparaiso.
Last I heard he was a High School teacher somewhere in the area and he is also an assistant coach at Calumet College of Saint Joseph: http://www.ccsjathletics.com/roster/0/1.php
He is a local guy, he played HS basketball in the area and is a Valpo alumnus who has been an assistant coach for 11 years. Not too bad if you ask me  8-)

VU2014

https://twitter.com/HoopDirt/status/1001448472506195970

https://hoopdirt.com/job/assistant-mens-basketball-coach-valparaiso-university/

Description:   
The Valparaiso University Department of Athletics is seeking a full-time Assistant Men's Basketball Coach.  The Assistant Men's Basketball Coach will partner and support the head coach to create the most comprehensive development program possible for student-athletes to reach their potential as individuals.  Manage a diverse set of responsibilities including but not limited to, recruiting organization, compliance oversight of all NCAA rules, travel planning, academic monitoring of student-athletes, community service initiative liaisons, and on the court training of team members.

We are an NCAA Division I Institution.  Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:

-Assist in day-to-day program operations
-Plan and implement player development workouts
-Prepare scouting reports on opponents
-Coordinate and delegate all recruiting responsibilities
-Fill out compliance paperwork for prospective student-athletes
-Assist with Summer Basketball Camps
-Perform other duties as assigned

Required Skills
-Effective communication skills and a positive attitude are essential

Required Experience
-Undergraduate Degree with experience at the NCAA Division I level of Basketball
-Demonstrate thorough knowledge of NCAA Rules and Regulations
-Minimum of 3 years NCAA coaching experience

wh

"Minimum of 3 years NCAA coaching experience"

Not sure why you highlighted this, but the requirement does not specify head coaching-only experience, nor does it specify D-1-only coaching experience, nor does it specify men's-only coaching experience. All this says to me is HS and AAU coaches and players' parents need not apply.

It doesn't even specify basketball-only coaching experience.  ;)

vusupporter

Because it specifically says NCAA, which excludes NAIA.

NativeCheesehead

I'm sure they can bend that. If I'm correct, that would have precluded Lottich from being hired as an asst a few years back.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on May 29, 2018, 12:42:08 PM
I'm sure they can bend that. If I'm correct, that would have precluded Lottich from being hired as an asst a few years back.

Have to target preferred candidates.  I'd imagine (like someone said earlier) that Lottich would be slammed with unqualified submissions otherwise.  Sort of like "undergraduate degree" listed as requirements.

valpopal

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on May 29, 2018, 12:42:08 PM

As one who designs such job descriptions, I believe "3 years NCAA coaching experience" included as "Required Experience" doesn't allow much bending. Otherwise, the listing would read "Preferred Experience."

wh

Quote from: vusupporter on May 29, 2018, 12:38:15 PM
Because it specifically says NCAA, which excludes NAIA.

So, is the point of the highlight that Tonagel wouldn't qualify?

FieldGoodie05

Hey Paul Oren, any news on the next podcast?  You hinted at the Canadian duo last we heard!

Thanks for all that you do.

VU2014

One name I haven't heard speculated yet is Valpo Basketball alum Jason Hawkins. He's been the Head Coach of Don Bosco Prep for 4 or 5 years now and he's been a head coach at Indiana University Northwest for 3 year and an assistant/recruiting coordinator at Elmhurst College for 1 year. He served as grad assistant under Homer for 3 years and Director of Basketball Operations.

Jason is one of our own and he has a wealth of coaching experience. Don Bosco the last few years has proven to develop players from around the area with a lot of success. I know there was a bit of drama with Maravilla (CEO of Don Bosco) but I don't think Coach Hawkins had anything to do with that. He'd be a very interesting hire. I'm not sure an assistant coaching job would pay as well as what he's making a DBP. I'm not sure realistic it is but I'm just throwing his name out there for the heck of it.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on May 29, 2018, 07:45:15 PM
One name I haven't heard speculated yet is Valpo Basketball alum Jason Hawkins. He's been the Head Coach of Don Bosco Prep for 4 or 5 years now and he's been a head coach at Indiana University Northwest for 3 year and an assistant/recruiting coordinator at Elmhurst College for 1 year. He served as grad assistant under Homer for 3 years and Director of Basketball Operations.

Jason is one of our own and he has a wealth of coaching experience. Don Bosco the last few years has proven to develop players from around the area with a lot of success. I know there was a bit of drama with Maravilla (CEO of Don Bosco) but I don't think Coach Hawkins had anything to do with that. He'd be a very interesting hire. I'm not sure an assistant coaching job would pay as well as what he's making a DBP. I'm not sure realistic it is but I'm just throwing his name out there for the heck of it.

This time Maravilla is probably asking Lottich to take one of Don Bosco's lower level quality student/athletes to get Hawkins hired as an asst. I hope they understand the morals Lottich is standing on but the Don Bosco group probably doesn't get it.

Pgmado

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 29, 2018, 03:04:04 PM
Hey Paul Oren, any news on the next podcast?  You hinted at the Canadian duo last we heard!

Thanks for all that you do.

Timing never worked out with Tevonn and Max. Last month was very busy for me personally with moving, new sports editor, etc. Hoping to get back at it soon. Apologies for lack of content recently. Trying to figure out which direction to take it.

VUGrad1314

Hearing anything about this assistant coaching search or anything from the recruiting trail Paul?

VULB#62

[tweet]1010262462954864642[/tweet]

VUGrad1314

Crap. Ragland was huge for recruiting. Wonder where he ended up. All the same, good luck to him.

VU2014

Wow that is absolutely brutal for the staff. This is not great timing to make hires...

Make it 3 openings on the Coaching Staff because Coach Zimba who was director of Basketball operations has taken a new position as the Associate Director of Annual Giving.

VUBBFan

VUGrad1314

I sincerely hope they have candidates ready and will announce soon. We can't afford to be slow on this. It's been a month since coach Dildy left and now we have multiple openings..