• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Will Alize Johnson Get Drafted?

Started by VUGrad1314, June 19, 2018, 01:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Most mock drafts I've seen have him going somewhere in the latter portion of the second round, but this article says it's no lock. What does everyone think? Please read the article before answering because it raises several good points on both sides. (Side note: Does anyone know how to add a poll?)

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/6/12/17452012/2018-nba-draft-profile-alize-johnson-has-the-tools-combine-project-stretch-missouri-state-bears-lusk

valporun

I have to agree that he seemed rather underwhelming, with all the hype that was produced about him prior to tipoff of the season. He was one of the top players in the conference, but it was also a new conference to all 10 teams. For 9 teams, it was new because there was NO Wichita State, and Valpo was added. Johnson really needed to be challenged more by Lusk, but at the time, I think Lusk also knew whatever happened this season, MSU was  going to send him packing. If Johnson does get drafted, it will be very late 2nd round. He'll be in the G-League to work on necessities that the team that drafts him would want, but if he can't do it, he'll be overseas by 2019-2020. If undrafted, he'll make a summer league roster, and hopefully work on needed skill sets, or realize his NBA dreams are a few years away to NEVER.

FWalum

QuoteIn the workout portion of the combine, Johnson had mixed results. He had middle-of-the-pack times in shuttle run and lane agility drills but finished 54th out of 56 in the three-quarter court sprint. Johnson was last in standing (25.0 inches) and max vertical jumps (31.0).

Was there something physically wrong with him???  Would not have thought that the player I saw would have put up those pedestrian Vertical Jump numbers, those numbers don't go with the rebounding machine we witnessed.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on June 19, 2018, 10:07:39 AM
QuoteIn the workout portion of the combine, Johnson had mixed results. He had middle-of-the-pack times in shuttle run and lane agility drills but finished 54th out of 56 in the three-quarter court sprint. Johnson was last in standing (25.0 inches) and max vertical jumps (31.0).

Was there something physically wrong with him???  Would not have thought that the player I saw would have put up those pedestrian Vertical Jump numbers, those numbers don't go with the rebounding machine we witnessed.

My guess (just that) is that Alec Peters doesn't have a significant vertical either.  He is also a great rebounder.  I would think timing and positioning have as much to do with as just sheer jumping.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on June 19, 2018, 01:15:41 PM
Quote from: FWalum on June 19, 2018, 10:07:39 AM

My guess (just that) is that Alec Peters doesn't have a significant vertical either.  He is also a great rebounder.  I would think timing and positioning have as much to do with as just sheer jumping.

I agree, I just remember being generally impressed and maybe correctly or incorrectly thinking he was athletically somewhat exceptional.  I must have been wrong if those numbers are for a healthy player.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

I genuinely feel bad for him. I think being coached by Lusk especially the unmotivated halfway out the door version of Lusk we saw last year really screwed him over with regard to his draft stock.

ml2

Based on Alize Johnson's NBA Combine standing reach of 8'7" and his max vertical of 2'7", with a running start he can get his hand about 11'2" above the ground or about four inches shy of the top white line of the backboard box. That doesn't sound too far off from the kind of above the rim play we saw from him during the last couple seasons.

I think people's expectations for vertical leap numbers are a little out of whack based on seeing HS recruiting numbers that are often junk, whereas the NBA Combine numbers are legit.

VUGrad1314

Alize Johnson not listed in the top 60 of this meta-analysis of 27 draft boards. Interestingly former Wichita State Shocker Landry Shamet checks in as a likely  late first round pick at 28 one ahead of Villanova's Dante DiVincenzo. I wonder what effect the move to the AAC had on his draft stock. I'm guessing it was positive. He really stepped up against the tougher competition. Compare his numbers over the past two years, it's no comparison even when you factor in the increase in playing time.

https://twitter.com/mikegrib8/status/1009150201326592001

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3914044/landry-shamet

VUGrad1314

He went 50th overall to Indiana so I guess the answer is yes. Congratulations to him his family and to the Missouri State program!

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 21, 2018, 11:42:24 PM
He went 50th overall to Indiana so I guess the answer is yes. Congratulations to him his family and to the Missouri State program!

Would the Bulls want to trade for him?   

I didn't think so.

VUGrad1314

Ha. The Bulls trading to acquire a second round pick. Good one.