• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Alec Peters in the Pros

Started by valpospartan, July 11, 2018, 10:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpospartan

Alec next plays Thursday, at 5:30 CDT, which can be seen on ESPN2.  Let's hope he can take some shots this time.

IndyValpo

0-4 last night. Sadly, Alec showed very little over the course of the summer league to force himself into a roster spot.

valpotx

Yeah, he is probably going to the G-League or overseas.  He had to show that he could do what he was drafted for, which is make 3s.  Unfortunate to see.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

His problem is time on the court.  Alec lights 'em up when he is playing regularly but with short stints on the court he struggles.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpospartan

Alec finally got some good minutes and showed what he can do:
28 min.
FG - 6/6 66.7%
3Pt FG - 4/7 57.1%
17 Pts
4 RB
2 Stl.
3 TO

valpotx

It's going to be tough, unfortunately.  He needed to show that he could play selective minutes and be productive from the start.  He only demonstrated that with more length of play, that he can do so.
"Don't mess with Texas"

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on July 19, 2018, 08:37:30 AM
https://twitter.com/jpetersfamily/status/1019938684857135105

Awesome that a dad is supporting his son on Twitter.  Not sure where the criticism he references is coming from, but I think Alec will find a spot on a NBA roster.  He has a skill that is very valuable in the current NBA.

IndyValpo

Potential good news from the Suns today. They traded a F (Dudley) for a PF (Arthur) they will soon cut. Alec probably still needs some more cuts from the current roster.

VUGrad1314

Any progress is good progress. In the final analysis, I think Peters has shown far too much to simply be cut. I just hope the Suns or at least some other team feels the same way.

VUGrad1314

More Suns roster news (and probably not good for Alec)

Suns have acquired F\C Richaun Holmes from the 76ers for cash

Suns will guarantee the contract of G Davon Reed a 3 point specilist

Suns plan to keep G Shaquille Harrison

crusadermoe

Always great to hear about Alec.  Watching for your news.     Such a solid performer and person.   I don't want to jinx this with a guess.

VU2014

Just heard a rumor that AP could be headed overseas. AP нужно будет освежить свой русский язык

valpotx

Hopefully AP finds his way to Khimki Moscow, who is pretty much top dog in the Russian League.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on July 23, 2018, 12:11:29 AM
Hopefully AP finds his way to Khimki Moscow, who is pretty much top dog in the Russian League.

He may or may not be headed to their rival CSKA.

NativeCheesehead

Bottom line, he had to go somewhere he could play. I'm sure the long term plan remains the NBA, but he wasn't going to get the minutes in PHX and if no other club was willing to sign him, gotta go where the playing time is.

Just don't mess with any Russian hookers in case you want to run for president one day.

vu72

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on July 23, 2018, 06:35:17 AM
Bottom line, he had to go somewhere he could play. I'm sure the long term plan remains the NBA, but he wasn't going to get the minutes in PHX and if no other club was willing to sign him, gotta go where the playing time is.

Just don't mess with any Russian hookers in case you want to run for president one day.

I would imagine he will also be making a lot more money than he did with his 2-way contract.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

We were so close to having 2 NBA players at the same time... This news is good for Alec and probably the right step for him at this point in his career; but as a fan I'm disappointed.

VU2014

It sounds like it's a one year prove it deal. Shorter deals are much more common in Europe.

It honestly sounds like a good situation. He gets to play and prove himself at the top level of Europe. If he tears it up after a few years in Europe I'm sure he'll get another bite at the NBA apple.

https://twitter.com/cskabasket/status/1021280389187424256

FieldGoodie05

Alec should benefit from the Euroleague move.  It's doubtful that he was getting anything other than scout team looks while on the two-way contract and that is no way to acclimatize yourself to the speed of the NBA or professional basketball.  He needs to polish his game to pro level standards and make adjustments because he is not fleet of foot enough to rely on pure athleticism. 

Broekhoff was not ready for the NBA out of college and I would argue he was a better true shooter than Alec in his senior year.  Though they both were outstanding players during college for Valpo and I have gladly watched both of them professionally where I could.

agibson

Paul alludes to finances in the tweet, and vu72 did as well. Paul got an even straighter answer later in the interview (too crass for twitter?).

The goal has always stayed the same and the goal is to be the best professional basketball player that I can be and ultimately the best NBA player I can be. What route it takes to be there, there's a lot of different ways you can go. It's been proven by a lot of different players in the league right now that are having successful careers. That was the main selling point on this. Why don't we take an awesome opportunity that we have right here and let's run with it. Let's have a year of making unbelievable money and a year to see the world. It's something I couldn't see myself doing a few days ago even before this was final. Now knowing it's right here and the more I hear about how great Moscow is the more excited I get. I think it's going to be an unbelievable opportunity to further my basketball career.

I gave the whole paragraph for context, but the striking bit was "Let's have a year of making unbelievable money and a year to see the world."

Really interesting set of quotes, in the whole interview.

What I don't know is where CSKA sits in the basketball world. Alec mentions them as the best team in the country. Is that true? I'm sure Paul's correct that they have "reached the EuroLeague Final Four in seven consecutive seasons." but I don't really know where they sit in the European, Russian, or even Muscovite pecking order. Heck, I can't even reliably get the order of their initials correct!

VUGrad1314

I'm no Euroleague expert but I have heard of CSKA Moscow. The team has a very strong tradition and is well-respected. It's a very good landing spot.