• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2018 Women's Volleyball Thread

Started by VUGrad1314, August 18, 2018, 05:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

I went to Saturday's game. Had a really good time.  It seemed Valpo's hitters didn't really clobber the volleyball in their spikes with the same regularity and same power as UNI did. I'll go back, it was a fun time.

vu84v2

In what I believe is the first ever Women's Volleyball RPI post, I just noticed that the first RPI rankings of the season are out. Valpo's RPI is 55 and is the second highest in the MVC. Northern Iowa is 20 and the next highest in the MVC is Illinois State at 63.

In case anyone is wondering, the NCAA tournament selection process for at-large births is essentially the same as it is for men's and women's basketball wth the exception that the field is 64 (i.e. no play-in games). Thus, you can assume that you need a similar RPI (better than 60) to get serious consideration.

I agree with M's comments. Women's college volleyball (in general and I am sure at Valpo) is a lot of fun and a great environment.

valpospartan

An exciting MCV match at the ARC, tonight.  The courageous Volleyball team came from down two sets, to win the match with Loyola.  LUC is a tall and talented team, but VU had the heart tonight.  Way to go ladies.

19-25
23-25
25-19
25-22
15-12

VULB#62

Sad to see the ladies going down 1-3 to ISUr  and Bradley 0-3  :(

valpotx

Playing without Sydney Bronner in both, which very much limited our block capabilities.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpospartan

Quote from: valpospartan on October 05, 2018, 10:40:39 PMAn exciting MCV match at the ARC, tonight.  The courageous Volleyball team came from down two sets, to win the match with Loyola.  LUC is a tall and talented team, but VU had the heart tonight.  Way to go ladies.

19-25
23-25
25-19
25-22
15-12

An exciting MCV match at Loyola, tonight.  The courageous Volleyball team came from down two sets, to win the match with Loyola.  LUC is a tall and talented team, but VU had the heart tonight.  Way to go ladies.

15-25
22-25
25-16
25-20
15-12

Deja VU all over again.

bbtds

vu72

I have to admit I turned it off at 0-2.  On the road, playing poorly, who knew?  I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw the final.  Fantastic win!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpospartan

bbtds

valpotx

After beating Missouri State for the first time last week, we follow that up by beating them in the conference tourney quarterfinal, on Missouri State's court!  On to the semifinal against a very tough UNI squad, which we played very close 3-1 and 3-2 this year.
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusadermoe

Wow, that is very impressive.   Mo State dominated the MVC last year didn't they?   

They should have a shot at a bid.   

VUGrad1314

Unlikely. Their record is impressive and it's been a great season with 25 wins and a 4th place finish in the regular season  but the SOS just isn't there. Their RPI is 72 but they're 0-8 against the top 100 with their best win being Missouri State (111). Being swept by Bradley (89) really hurt as did the narrow losses to Fresno State (97) and UNI (16). I don't even think a victory over UNI tonight gets them into that conversation. Their only shot is through  the MVC Tournament. I do think they have a shot at the equivalent of the NIT but a win tonight would really help our status there as well because I'm not totally convinced that we'll get in there either. Our resume looks very similar to Drake's last year and they didn't get in. We need to schedule better if we want to leverage our position in a stronger volleyball conference for greater postseason opportunities. Hopefully this season is the catalyst for that change.

talksalot

Tough loss to the top seed UNI in four.  25-10, and a lot of hardware this year.   Nice building block and a lengthy recruiting class.  We have a lot to replace next year.  Hope we reload.

VUGrad1314

Valpo loses in 4 sets 22-25 25-22 21-25 21-25 and finishes the season 25-10. Now they will see if they can steal an NIT bid. I'm pessimistic about their chances but it feels like the Valley should get 2 teams in the NCAA  this year. Overall it was a great season. We should be encouraged as fans by the direction of the program but clearly more work needs to be done if we want to contend for league titles\postseason bids. The goal is in sight and this year's team should be proud because they moved the program forward in a big way. Good job ladies! Here's hoping fortune smiles upon them and they get an opportunity to continue their season. Go Valpo!

valpotx

From what I read of the NIVC, they take the highest finisher from every conference, who was not selected to the NCAA tourney.  This means that even the crappiest conferences get a team in the NCAA and a team in the NIVC.  Even if the loser of Illinois State/UNI gets an NCAA bid, the NIVC bid goes to Bradley, so we would have to rely on being 1 of the 8 at-large participants.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

I really can't see that happening. If only they had held on in the second match against Bradley. They had it won.

crusadermoe

1314,  I had meant we were on track for a bid by wining the MVC tourney.

Somehow I thought Mo State was the favorite, but it sounds like they were not.  Moot point now anyway.

vu72

Quote from: talksalot on November 23, 2018, 09:50:34 PM
Tough loss to the top seed UNI in four.  25-10, and a lot of hardware this year.   Nice building block and a lengthy recruiting class.  We have a lot to replace next year.  Hope we reload.

As good as we were this year, we did it with basically an Horizon League roster. To get to the next level (Valley champs) we will need hitters taller than 5'10".  Carin is a wonderful coach and hopefully the new kids coming in will better match what is needed in the Valley.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu84v2

I have followed women's volleyball for a number of years and never knew there was a NVIC. I certainly hope Valpo makes it, but if not it certainly has been a good season. Great job by Carin and the team.

talksalot

MVC gets two teams in the NCAA.  So we wait.

valpopal

Valpo Volleyball has received a postseason bid, will play Ball State: congrats!

agibson

Lots of love for MVC VB in the post-season.

UNI with the NCAA auto-bid, Illinois State gets an at-large.

Bradley, Drake, and Valpo all in the NIVC. Lots of respect for the MVC.

Looks fairly similar to an NIT. Second year in operation after a run 1989-1995.

I think it's just the regular season champs that get an auto-bid, at least the tournament was talking about seven auto-bids.

Valpo is labeled a "home" team against Ball State. A bit unfortunate that they'll play the game on the same court where Ball State played their conference tournament. The Valpo-Ball State game is Thursday 5:30 PM eastern (in Oxford, OH - Miami-Ohio hosting). Four teams play three games on that court in two days, the first two rounds.

valpotx

This organization also has a National Invitational for Softball, which is cool to see.  I believe that both are only 2 years old, but it gives more kids an opportunity to play in the postseason.  I would love to see the same thing for Baseball.

I assume that Missouri State turned down an invite, which is why Drake got in.  For Missouri State, who often gets to the NCAA, it is probably NCAA or bust.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Can anyone tell me what has happened to Sydney Bronner?  I assume she is injured because she has not played since the Loyola game on Oct 5th.  Since she was a starter and perhaps our best blocker in the 2017-2018 season, having won the MVC defensive player of the week once during that first MVC season, it is even more surprising what we were able to achieve after her loss.  I am curious as to what happened and whether she may be back for the NIVC because I sat with her parents at the Purdue Fort Wayne match and they were very nice to talk to and so supportive of the team and their daughter during her senior campaign.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show