• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2018 Women's Volleyball Thread

Started by VUGrad1314, August 18, 2018, 05:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

So glad we got a postseason bid. Big step forward for the program and toward proving to the rest of the MVC that we belong. Go Valpo!

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on November 26, 2018, 08:31:28 AM
Can anyone tell me what has happened to Sydney Bronner?  I assume she is injured because she has not played since the Loyola game on Oct 5th.  Since she was a starter and perhaps our best blocker in the 2017-2018 season, having won the MVC defensive player of the week once during that first MVC season, it is even more surprising what we were able to achieve after her loss.  I am curious as to what happened and whether she may be back for the NIVC because I sat with her parents at the Purdue Fort Wayne match and they were very nice to talk to and so supportive of the team and their daughter during her senior campaign.

I'm not sure why, but many people seem surprised at the number of injuries sustained playing volleyball.  Some are ACL type and thus season ending.  It was good to see Payton McCarthy back and playing well.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on November 26, 2018, 09:29:51 AMI'm not sure why, but many people seem surprised at the number of injuries sustained playing volleyball.

I'm still getting my head wrapped around how much damage a couple of key injuries can do to a roster. VU was hit hard last year, injuries in general, and specially at setter. This year it seemed like there was a miniature version in the middle.

Nice to see a couple of freshmen getting big minutes in the MVC tournament - not sure how much of that is just development, and how much may be due to injuries (e.g. Bronner).

I'm also still surprised that there aren't more frequent/significant hand injuries to blockers.

vu84v2

How can a few injuries in women's volleyball hit a team really hard?

In women's volleyball, players still rotate (just like when we played volleyball in high school gym class). You can substitute for any player at any time, but a player cannot substitute to more than one spot within the rotation. Players cannot spike when they are rotating into the back line (unless they spike from behind the line - which is rare and takes height, leaping ability and a lot of talent). All of this makes depth (and thus not having injuries) extremely important for hitters and blockers. You can have a great hitter, but she will only be able to be in position to hit 50% of the time. You need two quality hitters at any given time for a solid attack, thus you need depth to not have times during a set when you lack the quality hitting needed for kills.

valpospartan

Can anyone tell me what has happened to Sydney Bronner?  I assume she is injured because she has not played since the Loyola game on Oct 5th.  Since she was a starter and perhaps our best blocker in the 2017-2018 season, having won the MVC defensive player of the week once during that first MVC season, it is even more surprising what we were able to achieve after her loss.  I am curious as to what happened and whether she may be back for the NIVC because I sat with her parents at the Purdue Fort Wayne match and they were very nice to talk to and so supportive of the team and their daughter during her senior campaign.

Sydney suffered an ankle injury.  I think ligaments were involved.  She was in a boot for a while.  Yes, we did miss her blocking.

valpotx

She was in uniform last game, but I don't know if that was just to wear the uniform one last time, or if she is healing enough to play.  She is very good, so even if we get 1 more game from her, we are a scary team.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Quote from: valpospartan on November 26, 2018, 10:51:41 PM

Sydney suffered an ankle injury.  I think ligaments were involved.  She was in a boot for a while.  Yes, we did miss her blocking.
Quote from: valpotx on November 27, 2018, 12:22:39 AM
She was in uniform last game, but I don't know if that was just to wear the uniform one last time, or if she is healing enough to play.  She is very good, so even if we get 1 more game from her, we are a scary team.

Thanks for the info valpospartan and valpotx, she was in plain clothes for the Missouri State game and then I thought I saw her in uniform for the UNI contest and was hoping that it wasn't as you said "just to wear the uniform one last time". It would be great if she is capable of playing in the NIVC tournament!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

For the Ball State game our game notes include

Following the Action: All of this week's matches can be seen live on Miami's RedHawk All-Access subscription service ($9.95/month; auto-renewing service, so should be canceled following weekend). Direct links for the video broadcasts, as well as live stats, will be available at ValpoAthletics.com.

I'm amused by the practical "should be canceled" comment.

vu72

Bronner in starting lineup
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on November 29, 2018, 04:34:40 PM

Bronner in starting lineup

Still starting in the third set. 4 kills so far, seems to be doing well.

25-9, 13-25 so far. There for a minute I thought we were going to roll...

3rd set started rough. 0-4. We caught up at 10-10, back and forth a bit, last level at 16-16, and led by at least one the rest of the way. 25-23. Up two sets to one.

agibson

agibson

They play the winner of Miami-OH and NKU, tomorrow, 6 PM Valpo time.

FWalum

Quote from: agibson on November 29, 2018, 06:17:20 PM
[tweet]1068297411989258241[/tweet]

Super win for the program and great to see Bronner back in the lineup with a real chance to finish her senior season actually playing.  Hope this really sets the table for the new 8 incoming recruits!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu84v2

Nice win!

25-9 and then 13-25 in the first two sets - that is quite a swing!

talksalot

6PM Central Time tonight... we get Miami on their own court.

They are 23-8 and 13-3 at home this year; they lost the MAC Championship to Eastern Michigan 3-2 on the Miami home court...

WHEN we win tonight, we draw the winner of the "Tulane" Bracket...(Tulane/CalBaptist)... Both played 5-setters yesterday.

Not sure, but if the "Top" bracket hosts, we go on the road starting on 12/5.  Tulane would be the prohibitive favorite, 26-8 overall, 15-2 at home.

vu72

Quote from: talksalot on November 30, 2018, 09:38:07 AM

They are 23-8 and 13-3 at home this year; they lost the MAC Championship to Eastern Michigan 3-2 on the Miami home court...

WHEN we win tonight, we draw the winner of the "Tulane" Bracket...(Tulane/CalBaptist)... Both played 5-setters yesterday.

Not sure, but if the "Top" bracket hosts, we go on the road starting on 12/5.  Tulane would be the prohibitive favorite, 26-8 overall, 15-2 at home.

Miami is going to be a tough match.  They beat Ball State twice, 3-2 and are playing at home.

valpospartan

Quote from: talksalot on November 30, 2018, 09:38:07 AM

When I first read your post, I thought with 5 setters, who is going to spike?   :rotfl:

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on November 24, 2018, 12:40:29 PM
From what I read of the NIVC, they take the highest finisher from every conference, who was not selected to the NCAA tourney.  This means that even the crappiest conferences get a team in the NCAA and a team in the NIVC.  Even if the loser of Illinois State/UNI gets an NCAA bid, the NIVC bid goes to Bradley, so we would have to rely on being 1 of the 8 at-large participants.

I was mistaken here, you were correct.

https://www.womensnivc.com/event-info.html

They do apparently offer an automatic bid to one team from each of 32 conferences. Whoever is highest in the conference standings but doesn't get an NCAA bid - so not the same as basketbally's NIT. Bizarrely, the format is for "32 to 40" teams. Maybe depending on how many teams accept the AQ bid - which is lost to the conference (becomes an at-large for somebody else) if the first team turns it down. So, maybe if they have a lot of AQ's accept they consider expanding to 40 and allowing in some at-larges.

This year apparently only 11 AQ's accepted (of 32 offers)
https://www.womensnivc.com/tournament-field.html
(e.g. UCLA at RPI 45, 9th in the PAC-12, 13-14 overall, 7-7 conference, apparently turned down the AQ bid).

They claim to have criteria for the at-larges. Need to have at least a 0.500 record overall or be in the top 50 RPI. But, if so, I'm not sure how Wichita State (14-17, 8-10, RPI looks like 86 to me) got in as an at-large.

Also a little funny that two MVC teams got put in the same pod - they claim they try to avoid that. But, maybe geography or other factors trumped this. (They ended up not playing each other, anyway.)

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on November 30, 2018, 09:38:07 AMWHEN we win tonight, we draw the winner of the "Tulane" Bracket...(Tulane/CalBaptist)... Both played 5-setters yesterday.

Tulane looks tough, particularly at home, but I don't know about "prohibitive favorite". (Usual caveat: I'm a novice volleyball fan.) I bet we have a chance.

Cincinnati (25-7 RPI 24) was a nice home win. But, Tulane did lose at home to USF (20-11, RPI 98).

Maybe the Illinois State - Cincinnati game tonight will give us some idea. (UNI lost to Pepperdine. American front-runner UCF, RPI 10, top-25 in the coaches poll, #13 overall seed in the NCAA, lost to FGCU.)

At least the NCAA bracketers thought Illinois State was better than Tulane. We got a set off ISU each time (and two off UNI at their place). So, I'd like to think that we'll be in the game, even if it's a home game for Tulane.

But, first things first. 6 PM tonight!

valpotx

We are a very good team with both Bronner and McCarthy playing.  They are excellent blockers.  We have a very good chance at getting to the last 4 of this tournament. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: agibson on November 30, 2018, 12:11:26 PM
Quote from: valpotx on November 24, 2018, 12:40:29 PMFrom what I read of the NIVC, they take the highest finisher from every conference, who was not selected to the NCAA tourney.  This means that even the crappiest conferences get a team in the NCAA and a team in the NIVC.  Even if the loser of Illinois State/UNI gets an NCAA bid, the NIVC bid goes to Bradley, so we would have to rely on being 1 of the 8 at-large participants.
I was mistaken here, you were correct. https://www.womensnivc.com/event-info.html They do apparently offer an automatic bid to one team from each of 32 conferences. Whoever is highest in the conference standings but doesn't get an NCAA bid - so not the same as basketbally's NIT. Bizarrely, the format is for "32 to 40" teams. Maybe depending on how many teams accept the AQ bid - which is lost to the conference (becomes an at-large for somebody else) if the first team turns it down. So, maybe if they have a lot of AQ's accept they consider expanding to 40 and allowing in some at-larges. This year apparently only 11 AQ's accepted (of 32 offers) https://www.womensnivc.com/tournament-field.html (e.g. UCLA at RPI 45, 9th in the PAC-12, 13-14 overall, 7-7 conference, apparently turned down the AQ bid). They claim to have criteria for the at-larges. Need to have at least a 0.500 record overall or be in the top 50 RPI. But, if so, I'm not sure how Wichita State (14-17, 8-10, RPI looks like 86 to me) got in as an at-large. Also a little funny that two MVC teams got put in the same pod - they claim they try to avoid that. But, maybe geography or other factors trumped this. (They ended up not playing each other, anyway.)

If their goal was to avoid conference redundancy in the same pod they did a terrible job Our pod had 2 MAC teams Iowa State pod had 2 MVC teams  2 MWC teams will play each other tonight One pod had 2 AAC teams and another had 2 from the Sun Belt Precedence was clearly given to geography here.

Yep geography is the #1 consideration They try to avoid conference overlap in the first two rounds but if it happens it happens. The strongest prohibition against conference overlap is in round 1 which they were successful.

https://www.womensnivc.com/event-info.html

VUGrad1314

It might even be better for us to be on the road. Of our 26 wins 8 have come at home 7 were neutral site wins and 11 have come on the road.

Of our 10 losses 2 were at neutral sites and we suffered 4 each at home and on the road. In fact our worst loss of the season in terms of opponents RPI came at home. That said it's always tough to win on the road and there's a chance some home matches in this tournament would help drum up community support but no matter where you play you still have to execute. One match at a time one set at a time one point at a time. This team does a great job of that and I expect that to continue. We have a great shot at making a deep run in this tournament. Our metrics are as good as any other team left and our conference slate has prepared us well. We just need to keep doing what we've been doing and we should be fine and go far. Go Valpo!

vu72

Valpo takes set one!  25-21!!  And the second 25-16!! Get out the broom!  25-18!

Miami must be thinking:  "And these guys finished fourth in the Valley!!"

Great win!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

talksalot

and.... wait for it...   25-18 IN SET THREE... SWEEP !

Here's the link for the Tulane - Cal.Baptist game... it just started

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=241887

VALPO TAKES IT IN 3 !!

valpotx

Tulane will be a test, but I think that we win (yes, I am assuming that they beat Cal Baptist).  Our league prepares us well, and probably frustrates the hell out of other teams.  We force teams to attack multiple times due to our defense/digging/blocking.  The entire MVC is basically in the top 25 of digs/set in the NCAA.
"Don't mess with Texas"