• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2018 Women's Volleyball Thread

Started by VUGrad1314, August 18, 2018, 05:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Looking at the Women's basketball schedule... we play... Miami of Ohio next Saturday afternoon in the ARC... hope they are not TOO upset about today's win.

I see that VU as of right now is the only 27-win team in the NIVC tournament...(The green wave has 26)

talksalot

Tulane is all over CBU 25-18, 25-15 going to intermission

other games in our side of the bracket... Clemson just wiped out Radford; and in the "upset alert"  College of Charleston is up 2-1 on Georgia Tech in Atlanta

COFC 25 17 26 4

GT    22 25 24 6 ... in the 4th set

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpotx on November 30, 2018, 07:31:46 PM
Tulane will be a test, but I think that we win (yes, I am assuming that they beat Cal Baptist).  Our league prepares us well, and probably frustrates the hell out of other teams.  We force teams to attack multiple times due to our defense/digging/blocking.  The entire MVC is basically in the top 25 of digs/set in the NCAA.

Remember we won the statistical championship for digs\set last year too.

VUGrad1314

Bradley and Illinois State both got blanked tonight by Iowa State and Cincinnati respectively  joining Drake and UNI who both fell last night. Like Bradley Drake fell to the Cyclones 3-0 while UNI's furious rally from 2 sets down against Pepperdine came up just short as the Panthers dropped a 5 set heartbreaker to the Waves. This leaves Valpo as the last surviving MVC team in tournament play. Hopefully we can keep it going. Go Valpo!

talksalot

and down goes the Wreck.. COC wins it in 4...  they went on a 7-2 run after one of the GT assistant coaches got a "Yellow Card"...when the game was tied at 8...

AND   CBU takes game 3... wave leads 2-1...

VUGrad1314

Cal Baptist takes set 3 25-22. Love to see the newly minted D1 school fighting hard. I think they might make a terrific addition to the WCC one day. They seem to have really solid athletics across the board.

VUGrad1314

Tulane wins the 4th set 25-15 and the match 3-1 setting up a date with the Crusaders. Unfortunately  for us the basketball home games this week may make it hard to find adequate practice time ahead of what should be a tough match.

agibson

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 30, 2018, 08:57:20 PMUnfortunately for us the basketball home games this week may make it hard to find adequate practice time ahead of what should be a tough match.

The seasons regularly overlap, so i guess they're used to dealing with it. That doesn't necessarily mean there's a satisfactory solution, I suppose...

Tulane hosts next Thursday 6 PM central. Looks like the stream will be $7 for a 24-hour pass (with archive).

The videography on the Miami feed tonight was... pretty sketchy. Resolution was OK, but _shakey_ camera.

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on November 30, 2018, 07:31:46 PMOur league prepares us well, and probably frustrates the hell out of other teams.  We force teams to attack multiple times due to our defense/digging/blocking.  The entire MVC is basically in the top 25 of digs/set in the NCAA.

Yeah, I can imagine there's something to that frustration factor.

The stats maybe aren't quite as crazy as last season, but looks like Bradley's #2 digs/set, we're #10, MVC has 5 of the top 16, 6 of the top 50.

In Tulane's American it's SMU at #18, Tulsa #23, UCF #33,  Temple #49... Tulan's down at #86. So, half the Valley is better (at digs... roughly compared) than their best.

Our 18.12 is definitely a notch, or three, above Tulane's 16.07. (Last season we were 20.0! Would be good for #1 again this year.)

vu84v2

Great dominating win last night by the volleyball team.

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on November 29, 2018, 04:34:40 PMBronner in starting lineup

Kind of makes you wonder how we would have done in conference if we had Bronner in the lineup for the last 12 conference matches and the MVC tournament.  Her return must have given the team a lift in the NIVC especially leading the team in blocks her first game back against Ball State.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo64

It's fun to watch this outstanding women's volleyball team perform...keep up the great work, Lady Crusaders!

VUGrad1314

Also that victory over Miami (OH) (RPI 65) was Valpo's first top 100 victory of the season! They have an opportunity for another in New Orleans against Tulane (RPI 61) Go Valpo!

valpotx

Quote from: FWalum on December 01, 2018, 09:27:40 AM
Quote from: vu72 on November 29, 2018, 04:34:40 PMBronner in starting lineup

Kind of makes you wonder how we would have done in conference if we had Bronner in the lineup for the last 12 conference matches and the MVC tournament.  Her return must have given the team a lift in the NIVC especially leading the team in blocks her first game back against Ball State.

We would have been 2nd or 3rd in conference.  Book it.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

[tweet]1070856955084845056[/tweet]
[tweet]1070873943031062529[/tweet]
[tweet]1070920613169111040[/tweet]
[tweet]1070938764644634624[/tweet]

VUGrad1314

This proud alum salutes these young women and their coaches for a season for the ages against some of the toughest competition a Valpo volleyball team has ever faced! Great job ladies! You have raised the profile of and the expectations for this program. Thank you for laying the foundation of what I hope will be a very successful era of Valpo volleyball! Go Valpo!

valpotx

This is a sport where Valpo has a real chance of getting at-large bids in the future.  Thanks MVC!
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpo2013

Great season as usual from our Volleyball program
Although
Would have been nice to be in Horizon League and go to NCAA tourney...assuming we would have won the conference
This team could have won a game or 2 perhaps