• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME - Exhibition Valpo v. UIndy 11/1 7:00

Started by VULB#62, October 29, 2018, 10:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairback

Quote from: valpo64 on November 03, 2018, 10:27:45 AMremember Bethel

I figured this would pop up sooner or later.  Our team is no way even close to a sweet 16 team.  Plus if I remember correctly Bryce didn't even play in this game.

We are rationalizing the seriousness of this loss.  It easy for us as we all love the program.  But from the outside this team is very flawed.

wh

Quote from: Chairback on November 03, 2018, 12:50:30 PM

Quote from: valpo64 on November 03, 2018, 10:27:45 AMremember Bethel

I figured this would pop up sooner or later.  Our team is no way even close to a sweet 16 team.  Plus if I remember correctly Bryce didn't even play in this game.

We are rationalizing the seriousness of this loss.  It easy for us as we all love the program.  But from the outside this team is very flawed.

And, let me add this was not a situation of an overmatched team that played the game of their life. They shot a horrendous percentage from the field and a horrendous percentage from the FT line and still won. If anything, they walked away feeling like they should won by more. At the same time, I agree that we shouldn't make too much of any exhibition game, regardless of the outcome. But, make no mistake. There is no way to describe just how badly the team performed or minimize how much improvement they need to make.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: JD24 on November 03, 2018, 09:02:23 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 02, 2018, 11:38:16 PMHow much longer does the youth excuse have as a viable explanation? We certainly shouldn't be able to go to that all season. At most I give it until conference play. If we haven't figured things out by then it will be past time to look for more valid explanations than youth.
Sure...if you want to "break down" a post and take one portion of a complete comment you'd come up with this conclusion. Read it in its entirety and maybe you have a more complete understanding of what was actually posted.

I read it and agree with much of what you said (a fact I admittedly should have explicitly stated in my previous  post) the small part I chose to address was chosen because I think it is a major disservice to a team with seven juniors and a senior on it to allow them to get by with the youth excuse. That's all.

vu72

To be clear, there is nothing "young" about this team.  The team has four red-shirt juniors (fourth year of college) and one grad student (fifth year of college, plus three legit juniors.  That is a LOT of experience.

The issue which hopefully will work itself out is the lack of experience playing together in game situations.  Ryan hasn't played in a game for over a year let alone playing in a game with the others.  Same for Levander and Javon.  So, three starters haven't played together other than in practice.  I'm a bout a three handicap on the range and about a fifteen on the course.

I expect to see a great deal of improvement against a team WAY lower in talent and size and continued improvement going into conference play.  The non-con could get ugly. I hope not.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

Granted we played very poorly and it was a crappy game for an "opener".  On the other hand, other than the Bethel game, remember another "strange" exibition game a year or 2 ago when Michigan State got beat.  Now that this terrible performance is over, lets get the ball rolling against Concordia and forget the Indy disaster.  GO VALPO!

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on November 03, 2018, 02:49:35 PMTo be clear, there is nothing "young" about this team. 
Well then whoever is young or new better get better real quick because what came back ain't all that great.

VUGrad1314

"They're a little embarrassed."

Good. They should be. So is the fanbase. They'd better show significant improvement tomorrow. They need to go out and level Concordia by 30+ points.

VUGrad1314