• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bradley loses to UIC

Started by bbtds, November 18, 2018, 09:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Peoria Journal Star

Reynolds: Last-second shot attempt doesn't erase game of regrets for Bradley

CHICAGO — Darrell Brown's last-second 18-foot jumper could have erased a game full of mistakes and regrets Saturday night for Bradley.

But like many of the Braves' efforts against Illinois-Chicago, this one came up a little short, too. The shot from the right wing bounced off the front iron and over the other side of the basket as the final horn sounded.

UIC 71, Bradley 70.

"I was wide open," Brown said. "I thought it was in."

BU coach Brian Wardle was pleased with the last-gasp attempt by Brown under the circumstances.

"I loved it, it was a great look," he said. "We just wanted Darrell to go downhill and raise up. It looked good, but he just missed it. We'll take that any time."

What Wardle won't take is the breakdowns the defensive-minded Braves suffered on that end of the court, allowing the hosts to take control of a tight game early in the second half.

Nursing a four-point halftime lead, the Flames burst from the locker room with a 15-5 salvo for a 14-point lead.

"Nothing they did we didn't cover on film and on the floor," Wardle said. "We had defensive lapses at times, a lack of talk. The problem is when you're on the road, you can't dig yourself a hole
like that."

VUGrad1314

And then wins the Cancun Challenge. I'd say they're back on track.

VULB#62

Looks like they won ½ of a full championship if I read the bracket correctly. They won one of two 4-team brackets resulting in the "Riviera Championship?"  They beat SMU and Penn State. Not bad names to go along with the W's.

Either Jacksonville State or North Florida won the "Mayan Championship."

It appears that the two champions did not play each other for full bragging rights.

VUGrad1314

It's two separate four team tournaments separated by division and run concurrently. The MTE we were in back in 15-16 in Vegas when we beat Alabama and BYU (the first time) had a similar setup.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 23, 2018, 12:51:12 PM
And then wins the Cancun Challenge. I'd say they're back on track.

... and then loses to IUPUI by 12.  Ouch.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: EddieCabot on November 28, 2018, 08:18:58 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 23, 2018, 12:51:12 PMAnd then wins the Cancun Challenge. I'd say they're back on track.
... and then loses to IUPUI by 12.  Ouch.

I think there's enough evidence in at this point to say this: maybe IUPUI isn't a bad team this year. I mean they've beaten BC and Bradley and pushed Xavier for awhile. I think getting into a more geographically suitable conference has helped them in the same way the western shift of the Summit League helped the Dakota schools especially SDSU. I wonder if the same would be said for Fort Wayne if\when they join the HL. Either way it seems like the HL is recovering a bit and that's nice to see. Hopefully all parties will eventually see that they're better off where they are now and the bitterness between Valpo and the HL will end. After all, it makes good schedule sense for the two sides to play each other.

oklahomamick

Bradley has some good wins but then loses to UIC and IUPUI.  Don't get me wrong, those are respectable teams this year, but nonetheless, they are HL schools.  Hate to see it. 

Would love to see Ft. Wayne get the call to the HL. 
CRUSADERS!!!

FWalum

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 29, 2018, 08:54:23 AMI wonder if the same would be said for Fort Wayne if\when they join the HL.

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 29, 2018, 10:44:44 AMWould love to see Ft. Wayne get the call to the HL.

Obviously I concur with wanting PFW in the Horizon League. I will make a point of asking Coach Coffman if there has been any additional movement along those lines.  They really have had a decent 4 year stretch and deserve to be in a more local regional conference, the travel is a killer and playing the HL Conference tournament in South Dakota every year in front of 11,000 screaming fans rooting for the South Dakota schools makes that tournament a joke of neutrality.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

crusaderjoe

Given where Valpo has been historically as far as geographical compactness and conference affiliation was concerned, I can understand the sentiment of wanting to see Fort Wayne move to the HL. This move might be the biggest no-brainier move other than Idaho to the Big Sky for all Olympic sports. If they make it to the HL, good for them.

That said,technically, if Fort Wayne moves to the HL, it will destabilize the SL somewhat in that some key sports (baseball) would fall below the minimum six teams necessary to sponsor.  Someone would have to move from somewhere to the SL to get back to six teams as waivers only last for so long.  And no, UMKC doesn't solve the problem on its own at the moment. As Valpo has an affiliate relationship with the SL now for some sports, we should technically want Fort Wayne to not move anywhere, at least for the near term.

VUGrad1314

Have heard considerable rumors about Augustana (SD) moving to the SL at some point. They sponsor baseball.

FWalum

Quote from: FWalum on November 29, 2018, 05:39:56 PMObviously I concur with wanting PFW in the Horizon League. I will make a point of asking Coach Coffman if there has been any additional movement along those lines.

Talked to Coffman last night and he said that last year things cooled down with the HL and did not look good, but recently things have warmed up somewhat and PFW is prepared to make the move if the call would come.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

This would be a win/win for both the HL and PFW. It would also be a positive step for MM basketball in the Great Lakes midwest. Hope it happens.

valpo64

Eastern Illinois beat Bradley at Peoria tonight by around 7 points.

oklahomamick

Bradley scored 15 total points in the first half!
CRUSADERS!!!