• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Iowa State needs an opponent for Dec. 1

Started by usc4valpo, November 18, 2018, 01:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

Iowa state had to cancel their game against South Dakota State in September due to storms in Ames. For a makeup game, they scheduled Incarnate Word, but they made the FCS playoffs. It is a $300000 payout, so should  Valpo make a call?

VUGrad1314

Heck yeah they should! That's good money. My question is can a non-scholarship program play a buy game like this? I thought I read somewhere that they can't.

usc4valpo

it would be tacky if they do not bring their cheer squad to the game.

vu84v2

I would think that the players would be thrilled to play at a D1A opponent and the money would be good. You make the call.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 18, 2018, 01:47:34 PMValpo has to cancel their game against South Dakota State in September due to storms in Ames. For a makeup game, they scheduled Incarnate Word, but they made the FCS playoffs. It is a $300000 payout, so should  Valpo make a call?
Is this some sort of hypothetical? Valpo has Eastern Kentucky scheduled to provide their 2019 beating amongst the pay for play games.

usc4valpo

Nope, Iowa State needs an opponent for a makeup game on Dec. 1. And the payout is factors higher than the Eastern Kentucky game.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 18, 2018, 04:05:40 PMNope, Iowa State needs an opponent for a makeup game on Dec. 1. And the payout is factors higher than the Eastern Kentucky game.
In that case, Coach Cecchini needs to make a call.

IndyValpo

Here is an interesting one...Virginia Tech
is 4-6. They play UVA next weekend. They want to keep their bowl streak alive so if they win they will play Marshall on 12/1.
If they lose they will not play. Perhaps Iowa State will play Marshall.

VU75

Actually the game hasn't been cancelled,it's on hold.  If Incarnate Word loses their first playoff game against Montana State November 24Th the game is still on.

usc4valpo

If I were Iowa a State I would have an insurance policy. They need the extra W for a better bowl.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 18, 2018, 07:45:36 PMIf I were Iowa a State I would have an insurance policy. They need the extra W for a better bowl.
A win vs. Valpo wouldn't count towards any bowl eligibility. Wins vs teams from the Pioneer League, Patriot League, Northeast Conference and Georgetown specifically do not count because of the number of scholarships they offer.

usc4valpo

Well that's a bummer. I was ready to bring the grill out.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 18, 2018, 01:47:34 PM
Valpo has to cancel their game against South Dakota State in September due to storms in Ames. For a makeup game, they scheduled Incarnate Word, but they made the FCS playoffs. It is a $300000 payout, so should  Valpo make a call?

So it's Iowa State that is cancelling their game against South Dakota State in September? When it said Valpo I was confused. Why would Valpo be playing SDSU in Ames, IA?

JD24

Quote from: bbtds on November 19, 2018, 05:11:28 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on November 18, 2018, 01:47:34 PMValpo has to cancel their game against South Dakota State in September due to storms in Ames. For a makeup game, they scheduled Incarnate Word, but they made the FCS playoffs. It is a $300000 payout, so should  Valpo make a call?
So it's Iowa State that is cancelling their game against South Dakota State in September? When it said Valpo I was confused. Why would Valpo be playing SDSU in Ames, IA?
I was confused as well. Iowa State and SDSU had their game cancelled in September due to a bad lightning storm in Ames. So ISU lined up Incarnate Word to play a 12th game the first Saturday in December. However IWU made the FCS playoffs and plays this weekend. If they win, the game vs ISU is off. If they lose, they may still play ISU the following week.

Our usc valpo man suggested Valpo step in for IWU if they couldn't play but I don't think it helps ISU because the game wouldn't count towards anything to do with any bowl ISU might play in.

usc4valpo

My bad. It has been a rough year, where my teams ar3 a combined 7-15.

VUGrad1314

Looks like they'll be playing a PFL team after all as they have reached an agreement with Drake. The game will not count for ISU's Bowl record but they're already eligible anyway. This is essentially a scrimmage.

usc4valpo

The responses in cyclonefanatic.com regarding the ISU-Drake matchup are hysterical. Fans are asking why ISU is not facing a Div. I team.

I think a few years ago San Diego State faced San Diego. I think the game counts, but I am not sure it counted toward bowl eligibility.

usc4valpo

A news pinhead on WHO tv in Des Moines reported on the ISU - Drake matchup. "The last meeting was 1985 and Drake won, which was when they were Div. I...."

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 21, 2018, 06:25:57 AM
The responses in cyclonefanatic.com regarding the ISU-Drake matchup are hysterical. Fans are asking why ISU is not facing a Div. I team.

I think a few years ago San Diego State faced San Diego. I think the game counts, but I am not sure it counted toward bowl eligibility.

Guys, Valpo football is not legit D1 and I'm a former player.  It's an understandable question because we don't sink D1 resources and don't get a plethora of D1 talent.

I support VU football but am I wrong?

usc4valpo

Believe it or not, There are some on this board believing they are a legit Div. 1 program.

Valpo should have been more proactive on this opportunity, which has become a non-joke.

VUGrad1314

Who's to say Valpo even had this opportunity? Of they're going to play a PFL team Drake makes more sense as an in State team on shorter travel. I wouldn't be surprised if Drake's payout is going to be significantly less then it would have been for Incarnate Word because of the diminished travel costs and Drake likely not needing a hotel.

usc4valpo

True, I just hope that Valpo is assertive when opportunities like this come up.

JD24

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 21, 2018, 12:31:07 PMWho's to say Valpo even had this opportunity? Of they're going to play a PFL team Drake makes more sense as an in State team on shorter travel. I wouldn't be surprised if Drake's payout is going to be significantly less then it would have been for Incarnate Word because of the diminished travel costs and Drake likely not needing a hotel.
Why attach any logic to it when you can just make a set of assumptions and bash the program based on those assumptions?

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 21, 2018, 07:28:24 AM
Believe it or not, There are some on this board believing they are a legit Div. 1 program.

Valpo should have been more proactive on this opportunity, which has become a non-joke.

If being a member of a conference whose representative went to the second round of the FCS championship twice in the last two years defines what a D-I program is, then we are a D-I program.

usc4valpo

Ok, perhaps I am being unreasonable, but I just wish Valpo would be more assertive about opportunities like this. It would have been a great experience to travel to Ames and face a top 25 team. The fans at Iowa State are amongst the best in this country, and the tailgating is always outstanding in rain, wind or blizzard